25 - From Between The Hedges

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A familiar, comforting scent stirred my senses.

Without opening my eyes, I rolled over my bed to nuzzle my face into my pillow, not quite ready to start the day yet.

Except something wasn't right. Something felt odd. Because this was not my bed and this was most certainly not my pillow.

Blinking open my eyes, I looked around to see that my 'bed' was actually the common room sofa, and my 'pillow' was in fact Draco's shoulder.

"Shit," I muttered, sitting up, causing a number of playing cards to fall from my chest and flutter messily to the floor.

We had obviously fallen asleep in the middle of a game.

I looked over at Draco who was slumped back on the sofa next to me, soft snores emitting from his partially parted lips; cards still sat limply in his hand.

"Drac," I whispered in his ear, trying not to startle him.

He stirred, eyelids slowly fluttering opening. Silver eyes looked sleepily into mine, a moment of confusion flickering across his features.

"Blaire?" He yawned, long slender fingers exhaustedly rubbed his face.

"We should get back to our dorms before people start to get up," I murmured. "I don't want Pansy getting upset with you."

"If she's going to freak out about me being there for you, then I don't care," he muttered, sitting up and emitting another yawn.

"It's the third task tonight," I said, my stomach twisting unpleasantly at the thought of Cedric. "We should go and and get some proper sleep whilst we can."

Draco cast his eyes down at me, studying me carefully. "Blaire, if you don't want to go tonight then we won't."

"We?" I asked, raising my eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah," he shrugged, a pink tinge rising to his cheeks, "as I said, I'm always going to be there for you."

He seemed suddenly awkward, scratching the back of his head as he stood up, turning to head towards the dormitories.

"I didn't go through with it," I said quietly.

He paused and slowly looked back down at me, the unmistakable flicker of relief in his eyes.

"You were always too good for that prick," he murmured softly, the corners of his mouth twitching upwards.

The effect of his smile was instant, and filled my heart with a warmth so comforting, it was almost like a hug.

"Thank you," I whispered; my own lips tugging helplessly up at the corners.

"Anytime, Zabini."

The Great Hall was so packed in the evening, filled not only with the visiting schools, but the champions families too; as well as the usual tournament judges and committee members.

But this was good, in my opinion, because it meant there was less chance of seeing Cedric from across the room.

I decided to attend the third task. As sweet as Draco's offer to sit it out with me was, I didn't want us to miss a major, once in a lifetime event, just because of that bastard.

But unfortunately, when Dumbledore called the champions to depart for the third task, it was to my dismay that Cedric had to pass right next to our table.

I couldn't help but glance up at him as he approached; he looked tired and pissed off as if he hadn't had a good nights sleep.

Good, I thought bitterly. Hopefully it would affect his game. I'd sooner Fleur win it than him.

To my horror, he appeared to slow down as he drew up beside me, his eyes piercing mine with a look of utter hatred etched upon his face.

"Keep fucking walking, Diggory," Draco warned; a low growl rumbling in the back of his throat.

Cedric snarled and continued on his way. I realised I'd been holding my breath and exhaled; hating the way my heart ached horrifically in my chest. I closed my eyes waiting for the pain to pass.

When the time came to take our seats down by the maze, Draco kept firmly by my side; pressing his arm into mine as we watched my very recent ex-boyfriend line up with the other champions, ready to start the third task.

A man, who I presumed to be Cedric's dad, patted him on his shoulder, wishing him luck.

I wondered if he would still be doing that if he knew what kind of son he really had.

A wave of nausea passed over me as I thought about what I had very nearly done. If I'd stayed and had sex with him, how would have Cedric treated me on this day? Would I have been down there right at that moment giving him a good luck kiss?

Almost as if he could sense me, the Hufflepuff turned his head and I suddenly found grey eyes burning into mine. I was frozen, unable to look away.

My heart raced crazily as our eyes remained fixed upon the other; the anger had vanished from his face entirely, replaced with something else. Regret? Sorrow?

Whatever it was, in that moment he looked liked my Cedric again.

But before I could analyse it any further, however, the whistle blew. His eyes were torn away from mine as he headed at once for the maze; a huge lump forming in my throat as he was swallowed up amongst the hedges. Gone.

I blinked, looking down at my trembling hands; barely aware of the proceeding whistles or the gentle murmurs rising up amongst the restless crowd.

"Now what?" Pansy grumbled. "Are we supposed to just sit here and watch a hedge?"

"I guess," I shrugged, suddenly feeling utterly morose.

I desperately wanted to sneak away and curl up on my bed. I wanted to cry and howl and just feel sorry for myself.

I was not in the mood to sit here and wait to congratulate someone on finding the centre of a maze of which we couldn't even see.

"They got rid of Quidditch for this?" Draco scoffed incredulously, gesturing angrily towards the most uneventful spectators sport in the world.

"Perhaps we could find our own entertainment?" Pansy giggled, and to my horror she started wriggling herself onto Draco's lap, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Pans, not now," Draco said irritably, hastily pushing her off.

Pansy's face fell and her bottom lip started quivering. I felt bad for her, but at the same time I was glad Draco had shut her down. The last thing I wanted was to be sat next to a loved up couple noisily sucking each other's faces off.

"You okay?" Draco asked me quietly; his eyes full of concern as they searched mine.

Knowing it was pointless lying to him, I gave my head the merest of shakes, trying to blink back my tears. His hand instantly found mine, our fingers entwining in a way that was becoming natural for us these days.

"Thank you," I whispered, resting my head tiredly down upon his shoulder.

It was probably less than a minute later when red sparks shot up from deep within the maze.

I lifted my head up as we all watched curiously; wondering who had been defeated by the maze.

Unsurprisingly, it was Fleur. She was brought out sobbing hysterically, just like in the previous task.

Krum was the next one.

"Damn, the git's unconscious," Draco muttered unsympathetically, as Madam Pomfrey stepped forwards to revive him.

"Guessing we're getting the Hogwarts victory after all," I shrugged, just glad that this was almost over.

I couldn't help but think about Cedric; wondering if the trophy was in his sight. I hoped with everything inside of me that Harry would get there first; I just couldn't bear the thought of everyone treating Cedric like a hero.

"I can't believe I'm actually rooting for Potter," Draco shuddered in my ear, his thoughts obviously in the same place as mine.

"Wow," I smiled faintly, "that really is something coming from you."

Draco stilled, his fingers clasping around mine a fraction tighter. "He deserves to die for what he did to you."

Our eyes met and, for a split second in time, I felt the strangest sensation stir in the pit of my stomach.

Before I could reflect upon this feeling, however, there was a loud commotion coming from down in front of the maze.

"It's Potter!" Someone in the crowd shouted.

Everyone around us immediately stood up to get a better look.

"He's got the trophy!"

Draco and I both leapt to our feet, but I couldn't see a thing for all the bodies in front of us.

"Here," Draco said, leaping up onto the bench and helping me up beside him.

We both looked down over the sea of heads where we could finally see into the arena.

And there indeed, was Harry Potter; lying on the ground looking the worse for wear; clutching to him the Triwizard trophy.

"Where's Cedric, do you think?" I asked, looking around as if he might magically appear.

"My boy! Where's my boy?" Cedric's father hollered into the night air as he broke free of the crowds and went running across the lawn to Harry.

"Look," Draco muttered, nudging my arm as he beckoned over to the maze's opening.

I sucked in a short sharp breath as my eyes rested on the sight before me. Limping out into view from between the hedges, was a very bloodied and very battered looking figure.

And boy did Cedric Diggory not look happy.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro