014 | Long Standing

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It all started two months ago, when Dad passed away and I was supposed to head back to my hometown for the funeral. Although I wasn't very fond of the idea, I knew I had to be there. Not just to pay the right tribute to his memory, but also to see Mom again after years.

The point is, things between her and me turned ugly years ago because of a girl. Not someone random, but the woman I chose to spend the rest of my life with. Mom never forgave me for marrying her, claiming that I betrayed her, while Dad had somehow accepted her in spite of their differences.

I remember Mom's last words she said as soon as I left home. "That woman is going to ruin you. She only wanted a better life for herself. If you marry Jeon Yujeong, then consider yourself doomed." Needless to say, I didn't listen to her.

To add insult to injury, by her point of view, of course, Yujeong and I are still married and thriving. This, in particular, surprised my older sister, who thought we'd never last as a couple, and shocked my younger sister, who was also skeptical.

Whether I like it or not, I have to face my mom and my sisters.

The atmosphere is embarrassing. As the officer gives his speech, I cringe at the idea of having to say hi to Mom again. This is why I consider only passing by Dad's grave, leaving flowers, saying my final goodbye and leaving.

Easier said than done.

As soon as the ceremony is over, my sisters pass by and immediately direct their glares at Yujeong. It's obvious she is seen as the problem. It isn't her fault, though.

"Taeseok," says indeed my older sister, "why the hell is she here? This is a family ceremony! She's not part of our family!" She hisses under gritted teeth, not wanting to cause a scene but at the same time doing so. Can't she just accept that Yujeong is a family member?

My other sister interjects. "Oppa, do you know that her presence is not appropriate? Why did you bring her anyway?" She rolls her eyes as Yujeong smiles at her. I don't know if I'll ever be able to make my sisters change their mind about my wife.

This is why I'm terrorized when Mom approaches. She throws a disdainful glare at all us. She's right. We shouldn't make a scene in such a context. Dad wouldn't like us to argue, not now.

We all bow and mutter an apology. She clears her throat. "Taeseok, here you are. I thought you'd never come. I mean, after all I said about Yujeong..."

Is she saying sorry? What made her change her mind?

"I shouldn't have been so foolish," she says. "I was so blinded by my first impression that I couldn't move forward." She turns to my wife. "Will you accept my apology?"

As I expect, Yujeong accepts. I would be shocked if she kept holding a grudge against my mother, but I'm glad things are slowly taking a turn for the better.

Mom goes on. "Now, we should go to the grave and pay our tribute. I don't want to hear any more arguments on the way, okay? Especially you two, Taeran and Chagyung. I know you have beef, but that's no more my business." Her voice is now a hiss, which scares me.

She's right, though. We can't keep arguing all the time over something that happened years ago. We took for granted that Mom wouldn't suffer our constant bickering. Instead here she is, reprimanding all of us for not being able to get along well.

We all nod and follow her in line. Taeran, as she's the oldest, is immediately behind Mom. I'm closely behind her, followed by Yujeong. Chagyung closes the line.

We don't say a single word on our way to Dad's grave. The atmosphere around us is so heavy that I feel like suffocating. As soon as it's my turn to say my last goodbye, I do so, lay my bunch of flowers on the tomb, and then leave in tears, followed only by my wife.

It will take time for the rest of my family to accept the situation as it is. I can't force anything on them.

Hopefully things will change one day.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro