38. Temporary Reprieve

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

And then Cicero told me to try having all three of us touch the door and it worked, Mother! He's such a smart man, but I do wonder how he figured it out. And what did he mean by what he said afterward Mother? I don't understand, even though I feel like I should... Does Cicero know something that I don't about Ellery and Amicus? How could he know something I don't, though? I've known them both much longer than he has.

Did they tell him something? But how could they? Even Cicero admits that, although he believes they are real, he does not see or hear them yet. Oh! But he says he wants to try and figure out a way he can! Nobody has ever tried to learn to see or hear them before... I... It makes me happy that he would even think of such a thing, Mother. Thank you so much for bringing him into my life and letting me join your Family.

Hearing Cicero finally stop humming behind me, I turned around to see him finish putting away the supplies he'd been using to clean Mother's inner sanctum where she rested from her travels. Looking around, I was impressed by how much he'd gotten done in the short time since we had arrived. The broken bits of stone had been removed, the floor swept and surfaces dusted, the window and doors polished as best could be done.

Of course, I had done a share of the work myself, but the amount he had done without me had left me astonished. No wonder he'd been so tired last night, as he must have stayed up for hours on his own after I had left.

"Is sweet Faith done talking to Mother?" He asked with a smile when he noticed me looking toward him.

Yes, dear Jester Assassin. I told her everything I could think of about what happened since last night... Do you think she got bored of me talking? I don't want to be a bother to her.

"Oh no, Cicero doubts Mother would get tired of being visited by such a devoted child. Faith is a very good daughter to our Matron. He could only wish the rest of the Family was even half as caring as sweet Faith is," I couldn't help but agree with him as he spoke, although in a slightly different manner.

If Astrid could be half as good a leader as you are a Keeper, then we would not have to worry so much about Mother's other children. Sadly, that is not the case, but at least Mother knows she has you to keep her safe and try to lead her children back to her.

"Oh, but Mother has more than just her sweet Cicero! She has kind Faith at her side, as well! And with Faith's help, Cicero believes that they can find the Listener. Even if they must eventually search all of Tamriel, Cicero believes that he and Faith can do it, together," the smile on his face had grown even bigger as he leaned forward to pat my head gently.

Together.

--------

"Faith, I want to speak with you for a moment," Babette's child-like voice called out as I walked toward the room containing the kitchens, my stomach achingly empty after having avoided leaving Cicero's side for most of the day.

Letting out a small sigh as I stopped moving forward, I turned my head toward the small vampire and frowning.

If you want to take me to the one who thought to have a laugh over Ellery and Amicus' existence, then I refuse to see her until she has an apology ready for them.

"No, this has nothing to do with her. This is purely for my own purposes that I wish to speak with you," she spoke softly, her eyes glancing about the room as if searching for something.

Are you trying to find Ellery?

I narrowed my eyes at her, wondering what she could possibly want with Ellery.

"Is he here? Does he always follow you around? I know you said that Amicus is always with you, but you didn't say if Ellery was capable of leaving the area you are in or if he must remain within the same room? How far is he able to wander from your side? Can he leave by himself and return with information he could share with you? Is he willing to share such information? Has he done so before? Are there other things he is capable of doing without your assistance? Can he affect anything in the physical world? Can Amicus?" Her voice picked up speed as she spoke, soon becoming little more than a quick ramble as she seemed to say whatever question came to mind.

That or she had spent the past hours simply thinking up questions and expecting me to answer them. If not for Amicus reaching up and turning my head away, I likely would have not noticed the glare Ellery was sending her way.

Ellery, don't worry. We don't have to answer her questions. After all, she won't be able to make me talk this time. Even if I'm not sure how she did it last time, you and Amicus know to watch for her tricks this time and our secrets shall remain our own until we are ready to share them.

Turning to the child-like assassin, I shrugged before gesturing down to the room below, hoping I could eat while we 'talked' so I at least wouldn't go hungry for much longer. Seeing her frown before nodding and heading down the stairs, I followed just long enough to turn and head over to check what was available to eat. It looked to be a choice between leftover stew from earlier or some steaks... steaks...

Oh no! The meat! We forgot to bring in the meat!

Turning quickly, I ran back up to Cicero's room and began pulling him behind me as I tried to drag him to the entry with me.

"Faith? What is wrong? Did someone do something? Say something? Why do you look so upset?" I felt him give a small squeeze to my hand as we passed by an upset looking Babette coming down the hallway from the shared living quarters.

I barely stopped long enough to turn to him and answer before tugging him once more toward the Black Door with me.

We forgot to bring in the meat and I'm hoping that it is still frozen enough not to have spoiled! Oh, Cicero! How could I have forgotten? It was supposed to be a gift to the Family!

Hearing him give a small chuckle before quickening his step, I felt his hand grip mine tighter before he rushed ahead of me.

"In that case, we'd best hurry and see! Cicero can't remember if kind Faith reapplied her spell the day before we got here or if it was even earlier than that! And right now, he is hoping it wasn't because venison steaks sound very tempting to Cicero right now!"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro