31. Take my hand

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Dedicated to thegirlnextdoor7781
because you are my favourite on Wattpad!

"Take my hand today...
Do not let go!
I need you.
I perhaps don't need you for keeping my heart beating...
But I know my heart needs you... For distance is too much for it to bear... After all it loves you ; irrevocably and unconditionally.  "

-Elegiac_Damsel

Sampurnaa's pov:

I don't know what made me ask such a question... But it came out naturally ; just like the smile that came on my lips when he nodded in affirmation.
I felt tired. A wave of weariness descended over me from nowhere and I felt my eyelids drooping.
I soon felt myself drowning in the depths of a very deep slumber.

Indrayan's pov:

She fell asleep, my hand still in hers.
I was simply looking at her serene form when Abhimanyu entered. He coughed twice.
I looked at him in surprise.
He smirked in a teasing way. I shot him a questioning look.
He pointed at Sampurnaa and my hands.

I refrained from jerking them apart as it would have disturbed her. I gently separated our hands and kept hers on the bed.
I turned to Abhimanyu. He came near Sampurnaa and sat down on the stool kept by her bed. He stroked her head once and I stepped away.
His voice startled me, "Aamar bon ke tomar kemon laage, Indra?" (What do you think about my sister, Indra?)

It was honestly unexpected! I mean what can I reply to such a question?
Sampurnaa and I simply knew one another on professional grounds. Yes, we did interact more considering the fact that her brother is married to my sister... But I guess that's pretty much it!

I replied casually, "I am her lawyer and we both know one another only on professional grounds."

Abhimanyu shook his head at the straightforward denial.
He said something I hadn't expected him to, "Someday will dawn... When you would realise that what you said today was untrue."

I chose to remain mum at that and stepped out of the hospital room soon after. Abhimanyu followed suit as he had to be by Adrija's side at night.

5th September
Sampurnaa's pov:

I was discharged yesterday late in the evening. Maa and Baba are back. Maa has been fussing around me and just cooking up stuff she knows I hate eating. I have been fed bitter gourd, neem leaves and all sorts of herbs that have to be the worst things on earth! She thinks all that crap will make me stronger and will improve my immune system.
I have been forced to take leave from work at least till today. The Human Resource department (HR) to my utmost dismay has granted my leave.

I don't know about my health... But if this continues, then I am surely going to be driven insane!

The next hearing of the case is on the 6th i.e., tomorrow. I have been unable to go out or speak to anyone. It is honestly exasperating!

Yesterday, a woman from Palghar district had put a call through to us. She was a widow who knew Mr. Sequira and Frieda. She claimed having seen Frieda in her village two days ago. She also informed us that she had been trying to reach us for a long time and had even informed the local police, but her words had not been heeded.

The CBI has sent a team to the lady's village in order to find Ms. Frieda Sequira. The woman who calls herself Arpita Karune has been brought here to Mumbai. She's going to be presented at the court tomorrow since she knew Mr. Sequira and Frieda.

I am genuinely pissed off because Dada and Boudi have gone out for work and Baba went to Mumbai University in Kalina for a guest lecture.
The ladies in the society have been planning to start a composting pit in our society and Maa has to go for a meeting with the local councillor along with the others. She isn't exactly keen on leaving me alone at home....
Just then I got an idea!  I am definitely going shopping for my niece or nephew. Even though there are 6-7 months still left, I think I should get everything sorted out.

It has been raining heavily since the past two days! Schools and colleges have been shut and yesterday had been a disaster with the waterlogged roads and flooded lanes. I know for a fact that Indrayan would be home, so I called him up immediately.

Indrayan:"Hello?"
Me: "Hello. It is me Sampurnaa!"
I: "Bolo." (Say)
Me: "If you are free, let us go shopping! We can visit a good interior designer for our nephew or niece's nursery. We can later go to fashion street for clothes for him or her!"

I could hear him sighing on the other end.

I: "You know that we have months in our hands right? Moreover it is raining! How will you manage to come to Bandra?"

Me: "I am restless at home! Thanks to you and Dada, my HR approved my leave against my wishes! Maa is not going to allow me to step out of the house if I say I am going to work, I thought I'd take this time to do shopping for my niece or nephew. Moreover, interiors take up a long time. The nursery needs to be ready before Adri Boudi enters the advanced stages of pregnancy. I don't want her to get exposed to unnecessary wood dust or any thing else. We can also do the Durga Puja shopping together. I mean I know we have a month in hand, but then leaves are going to be scarce later on. This is the first time that I will purchase clothes for everyone using my own salary. So what say? Up for it?"

I: "Okay. Meet you in 1.5 hours' time at D'decor showroom on Linking Road."

I smiled and hung up. Finally, I had something to do!

I informed Maa and she agreed. She made me promise that I won't take any official calls though and I instantly complied.

We both left together.
She went along with two more ladies to the local councillor's office and I took out my scooty from the garage. The scooty was my gift from my parents when I was in college here. There is no way I am taking the train today! The tracks are submerged and waterlogged and the roads are surely going to be jampacked... Hence, a two wheeler is the best option!

Even so, it took me 1 hour and 25 minutes to reach Linking Road from Chembur.

I am currently waiting in front of the D'decor showroom.

Indrayan's pov:

She's undoubtedly and unanimously crazy! She's literally been in and out of the hospital twice in a month's time and she did not feel the need to rest.

Anyone else in her place would have loved to take sometime off from work, but here was a unique personality who was feeling bored at home!

I had been sleeping when she called up. Yes, it was past 10 but I genuinely needed that extra rest. I had been to visit the village in Palghar district where Arpita Karune, Frieda's supposed acquintance was. My assistant, Zakir and I had both gone there to speak to her and then later bring her here to Mumbai after prior intimation to the police of course.
She is quite old. Past 60 maybe. We reached Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) at 1.00 am in the morning. I had to drop the woman at a lodge where her accommodation had been arranged for. I reached home at 2.15 am and went to bed at 3.

Thus, I was sleeping in till late in the morning.

Anyways coming back to what I was saying, she literally wants to go shopping for our unborn niece or nephew 6-7 months before his or her birth. The interior designing stuff is still acceptable.... But who on earth goes shopping this early for an infant who is yet to be born?
I would have disagreed but then she mentioned Durga Puja.
I have not purchased a single item for the pujas yet! Neither for myself nor for anyone else!

I may not get time later... It is better to take Sampurnaa's help and get done with all the shopping that I have to do.

It took me an hour to freshen up. Ma force-fed me some cereals and then I left for Linking Road.

Sampurnaa was standing beside her scooty with her helmet in her hands. She pointedly looked at her watch in order to tell me I was 5 minutes late.
I muttered a quick apology and we both entered D'decor.

One of the employees came and asked us what we were looking for. Sampurnaa did all the talking. She said, that a nursery was needed and that the nursery had to be within the space 10ft X 8ft.

The salesman nodded and requested us to take a seat while he got one of the designers to speak to us. He also handed us a few catalogues to look into.
Sampurnaa had an excited grin on her face.
She selected a few cribs that would be comfortable and would look good at the same time.
The designer walked in soon after. She greeted us and we greeted her back.

The first question she asked us was, "What kind of a nursery do you want for your baby?"

I was the first to react to that, "We are not expecting a child. We are here to get a nursery ready for our unborn niece or nephew."
The designer apologised and then asked us further. We both decided on a normal, simple yet elegant nursery which would be suitable for both girls and boys.

We first decided on the crib, which would be in one corner. Sampurnaa got into checking if our plans complemented Vastu Shastra!

I really don't get this woman! She's so modern yet sometimes too traditional! She will certainly be an interesting research material for scientists later.

Finally, after an hour of discussing, designing and redesigning, we zeroed upon one nursery. The overall expenditure was immediately calculated and as decided earlier, we agreed to split the payment equally.
Sampurnaa had recently began on her career, so she did not have the lump sum required. She transferred some amount to my account and assured me that the rest will be paid by the time the baby is born.

I did not argue further.

The design we chose:

Pic credits: google

The next stop was Fashion Street.
We purchased a few dresses for Adrija. Sampurnaa decided to get her niece or nephew a Pujo gift too. She purchased three pairs of cute baby mittens and socks.

I am seriously stunned at her enthusiasm.

We also went to Shopper's Stop in Linking Road and purchased shirts, and watches for Abhimanyu, Dad and Uncle. I even bought a few clothes for myself. Sampurnaa purchased another watch.

Later, we wanted to buy sarees for the mothers and also for Adrija. Sampurnaa suggested Roop Milan in Dadar.
Since I had my car and Sampurnaa had a scooty, we decided to take only one vehicle. The purchased clothes and things were left locked in my car.
The scooty was chosen considering the mammoth traffic that generally greets us at Bandra and Dadar.

By the time we reached the shop, it was late in the afternoon. It had started raining.
Both of us went inside the showroom half-drenched.
Sampurnaa went to the counter and asked the man to show a Benarasi Silk Saree befitting bridal colours within Rs. 20000.

I knew then that it was for Adrija.
The saree she chose was:

She purchased two other sarees worth Rs. 10000 each.
Even though, she did not say anything, I know that she was literally pushing her financial limits.
Technically, it isn't necessary for her to purchase anything for my parents... But then she is traditional and stubborn!

She was looking at price tags of several sarees and simply keeping them away.
After all she had just began with her job barely a few months ago. Even if she saved every last penny that she earned; it would take her time to become totally financially independent. And this was just the beginning for her.
I decided to speak up now, "Can you help me purchase sarees for Ma, Aunty, Adrija and Dida (grandmom)?"

She nodded in the affirmative.
"Let's begin with Dida's saree. Does she wear red or black?"

She was indirectly asking me if Dida was still married or widowed.
I replied no.
She requested the man in the shop to show us some Dhakai silk sarees with white and golden colours that would give an elegant and sober look.
Next she helped in selecting sarees for her mother and mine. I noticed her selecting a comparatively cheaper saree for her mother.
I intervened and told her,
"Don't look at the price tag! Choose a saree like the one you chose for Ma!"

She blushed red being caught.
I shook my head.
The last saree she chose was for Adrija. It was a beautiful Kanjeevaram silk:

We were finally done shopping.

Sampurnaa hadn't purchased anything for herself. I chose not to comment.
I will ask Ma to buy something for her later.

We both returned back to Linking Road where my car was parked. She handed me the bags that contained clothes for my parents but I insisted her to come home and give them personally.

She agreed eventually and said that she would be along on her scooty.

I agreed and drove away. I just hope she doesn't choose to fall sick again like the first time she had entered our home.

Sampurnaa's pov:

I knew things are expensive! But I never knew they would be this expensive!

I had saved up Rs. 110000 over the last one year from my part time job as a babysitter in the US and from my salary for two months. I was on probation for 1.5 months which is why I did not earn anything then.

Right now, my bank balance was Rs. 2000! I can not even withdraw that amount for anything because that is the bare minimum that needs to be there in my account.

It is just the beginning of the month and I have no money already! I don't even know how I am going to survive 25 days more before receiving my next income!

I sighed helplessly and started on my scooty to go to Pali Hill.

Uncle and Aunty were both at home and they welcomed me warmly.
Aunty asked me everything about my current state and if I had recovered properly. She asked me when I had last eaten and I told her honestly that my mother had fed me rice with all sorts of bitter and tasteless vegetables that she could find and that I had to drink a concoction made of herbs that tasted disgusting.
She laughed at my expressions when I reminisced the taste.
She insisted on me joining them for lunch but I refused. She eventually gave in to my stubbornness provided I accepted to come to dinner at their house on Mahalaya
(the new moon day before Navratri begins. In Bengali culture, Mahalaya marks the birth of the Mahishashur Mardini form of Durga and traditionally the eyes of the Durga idols are drawn on Mahalaya implying the Goddess's arrival on earth)

I agreed.
Uncle and Indrayan had gone out nearby for some work.
They returned back just then.
I requested Indrayan to get the shopping bags. He complied to my request and then we both helped each other sort the clothes.

I handed over the saree I had bought for Manabi aunty and the watch for Uncle.
I bent down to touch their feet for their blessings.
They blessed me and appreciated the gifts.

I smiled and said, "Indrayan helped me out! Or I would have still been confused about what should be purchased and what shouldn't!"

Aunty looked at me strangely.
"He helped you shop?", Uncle voiced her thoughts.
I nodded earnestly.
Indrayan guessed where this was leading to and he got up and left.

I took my leave soon after and then returned home with the rest of the things.

I actually hate shopping but today was special! Special because I purchased something using my own hard earned money. I got to shop for my niece or nephew! And of course... With a dear friend...

I don't know what the future holds for me... But I know that this step towards financial independence sure did boost my confidence. I have high hopes and expectations. I hope I live up to them!

Tomorrow is the next hearing and I am really worried. With new developments, I feel that the case is going around in circles!
Only the creator knows what the future holds... And only time will reveal the mysteries that the future conceals...

..................................................................................

A/N

Another update... Nothing very interesting nor very important... Just a step towards strengthening the new bond that has recently began forming.

Next update will be an interesting one..

Sorry if this update bored you!

Thank you for reading my story!

Cheers,
Shubhadittya

P.S. please tell me what you think about the story! Please comment so I know how I am doing!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro