37. Shubho Sharadiya II

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"I am the power that binds the world together.
I am the power that can destroy evil.
I am the one who nurtures life.
I am the solution to any grave situation.
I am a born warrior.
I am a WOMAN. I AM A GODDESS. I AM THE INCARNATE OF LOVE, POWER, BEAUTY AND STRENGTH."

-Elegiac_Damsel

It is Ashtami today. The main day of Durga Puja. There are no plans for pandal hopping today as I am on a fast. The rest of the family apart from Dida and Boudi are also fasting.
Ashtami is the most important day. The Goddess is worshipped in her form as Mahagouri, and Kali during Sandhi Puja.

I woke up at 6 am today. I took a bath and dressed up in home clothes. There is time till the puja begins, so I have ample time to get the food cooked for Dida and Boudi. Only pure vegetarian food is supposed to be cooked and consumed on Ashtami, hence I decided to cook Basanti Pulao and some malai paneer without onion and garlic. It took me an hour to finish cooking.
I have sort of enjoyed cooking since I was 16 years old. I used to watch MasterChef, read recipes and then try and replicate dishes. I don't exactly mind cooking; as long as I am doing it on my own will and not under someone else's pressure.

It was 7.15 am when I cleaned the kitchen and went to take another bath. This time I dressed myself in a new saree that Dada and Boudi gifted me.

Pic credits: google images

I proceeded to wake the rest of the household. Everyone was up and about in no time.
Maa and Baba were stunned to see me wearing the saree. Maa stepped forward and cupped my cheeks in her palm.
"Khub sundor laagche toke maa. Aamar mishti meye."
(you are looking very beautiful my dear. My sweet daughter.)

I rolled my eyes playfully.
"Stop being so emotional Maa! I am telling you, Baba and you are growing old! Get a grip on yourselves!"

Maa hit me on my shoulder when I called her old.
She proceeded to freshen up. Baba was still looking at me.

I waved my hand in front of his eyes and he came out of his daze.
"You are looking beautiful, my child."

I smiled at him in reply and asked him to get ready. He nodded and obliged.

Aunty and uncle were waiting nearby. They had already changed.
Dida was ready too. She looked elegant in the saree that I had selected for her when Indrayan and I had gone shopping. Boudi had just woken up and had changed into a saree for the first time since Pujo began this year. Her brother and my brother were apparently still getting ready. Maa arrived soon after wearing a golden Kanjeevaram. Baba was wearing a white and golden Panjabi. They both were colour coordinated!
I teased them for a while, so did Boudi. I stopped when maa threatened to pull my ears in front of everyone.
She has already done something like that before so I am not very keen on taking her threat lightly only to face the consequences later.
I zipped my mouth.
Dada and Indrayan walked out almost immediately after I fell silent.
Dada was looking handsome in a traditional kurta. His brother in-law was dressed in a spotless white kurta. He looked ready for a political rally to be honest!

I chose not to comment. But his mother thought otherwise, "Why the hell are you dressed up like you are attending a funeral? I got you a better outfit! You can wear this on Dashami during Sindoor khela!"

I was fighting back giggles. Almost everyone else looked like they were in the same situation as me.
Indrayan looked at his mother defiantly.
"Why can I not wear this maa? And I don't want to spoil my white kurta with red sindoor! I am going for the puja in this outfit!"

His mother flashed her eyes angrily, almost matching the angry gaze of Goddess Durga. Apart from the fact that it was her son who was standing in front of her and not Mahishasura.
Boudi looked at her brother in distaste and then expressed her views, "Don't wear this! Wear the one that maa got for you. It at least has a few traces of colour and isn't as subdued as this one! Go and change bhai! Nahole ami khub kharaap mone korbo!" (or else I'll feel very bad.)

It took just a line from Boudi in her pregnancy hormones driven state for her brother to oblige to her demands almost immediately.
He returned back 5 minutes later... After changing.

Pic credits: google images
P.S. ignore that old school watch

His mother nodded approvingly at his outfit and smiled. Adrija Boudi's face lit up and she exclaimed happily, "You look good! See! I told you this will suit you more!"

He nodded dismissing her. Dida saw me standing in a corner and came near me.
She kept her hand on my head in an affectionate way and then said, "You look like the incarnation of the Goddess! The only thing missing is the vermilion in your parting. But that will be soon enough!"

I smiled slightly.
Someday or the other I would be married anyways.
Her next line made me blush.
"Your husband will be lucky! I wonder what his reaction would be if he saw you today!"

I shook my head and walked away.
Everyone laughed at my reaction.

We were done with the Pushpanjali pretty quickly. The Sandhi Puja is scheduled to be at 5 pm.

One of the most important ritual of Durga Puja is the Sandhi Puja which is performed at a very important period.It is done at the exact juncture when the Asthami tithi ends and Navami tithi begins.The last 24 minutes of Ashtami and first 24 minutes of Navami is regarded as the Sandhikhan. This is the exact time at which Devi Durga slayed the notorious pair Chando and Munda. There is an interesting legend behind this timing.

Devi Durga appeared in front of the errant Mahishashura in a form of beautiful golden woman. Her skin was golden and she was clad in a yellow saree. Her ten hands held various kinds of weapons. When pitched battle was going on between Goddess Durga and Mahishashura, his allies Chondo and Munda attacked the Goddess from behind.The Goddess was so enraged by this breach of battle rules that her face turned blue. She opened her third eye and Chamunda avatar (taken from Chondo and Munda) sprang out. This avatar was a form of the blood curdling Goddess Kali. Chamunda slayed Chondo and Munda with her falchion. Sandhi Puja is celebrated to worship the Chamunda form of Goddess Durga.

On the eve of Navami you have to make your final offering to Goddess Durga. Thus the arrangements for Sandhi Puja are usually grand. You need 108 lotuses and 108 earthen oil lamps to begin with. A single whole fruit (preferably red), hibiscus flowers, saree, uncooked rice grains, jewellery if you are offering any and bel leaves or a garland of 108 bel leaves.. Every family or community has its own unique way of offering these ingredients to the Goddess but the 108 lamps and lotuses and bel leaves remain constant in every household.

Text credit : Arundhati Mukherjee from the speaking tree (link found via google)

The lotuses that are offered to the Goddess have to be opened and bloomed by women. Maa and Aunty were busy with something, so I was the only one who went for the ritual.

Pic credits: google

The priest arrived at 4.45. Everyone who was interested in taking part in the Pujas came down soon after.
The priest instructed us women to start lighting the 108 lamps in honour of the Goddess.

The puja continued for 45 minutes followed by the aroti.

All of us broke our fast at 7 pm with water.
I served everyone at home with some prasad.
I don't eat prasad. Ever since childhood, I have always repulsed when it came to eating anything that had been offered to God. My parents have always considered it weird and often called me atheistic; but even they know that that is not the case.

The entire day was indeed a great one. Tomorrow is Navami, alas the last day for Durga Puja celebrations! I am so going to miss everything!

Indrayan's pov:

It is Ashtami today. I was asked to dress up traditionally.
I had chosen to wear a white kurta... But it just angered my mother. She thought I was dressed for a funeral! My darling sister, Adrija was also being adamant. She played her emotional card so well that I had to give in at the end.
Dida was looking beautiful in her new saree. Sampurnaa's choice!

Sampurnaa was wearing a saree yet again today. It was yellow and red; almost like a new bride's. She looked good.
Dida teased her a bit. She blushed and shied away like any other young girl! I really wonder where the ferociousness disappears when it comes to such situations.

We all were fasting today. Most of us had no work to do, so it was easy.
One thing that surprised me was the fact that Sampurnaa had woken up earlier than the rest of us and had even cooked for my sister and my grandmother.
She is indeed like the incarnation of the Goddess: fierce, strong and beautiful like Durga, simple, caring and dutiful like Lakshmi; well educated, cultured and gifted like Saraswati.

I know I am praising her a lot nowadays; but seriously, the more I get to know her, the more impressed I become.

We were all headed down for the puja when Maa took me to a corner.
What now?

I waited patiently for her to say something. She took out a box which looks like a watchbox to me and gave it to me. I took it from her and she spoke in my ear, "This is Sampurnaa's gift to you for Pujo."

It made me smile that she bothered to get something for me. I took the watch out of the box. In one glance at the watch, I could tell why this woman had to use her credit card in spite of saving up her money.

This watch is expensive. No wonder she did not have a reply that day when I was scolding her for using her credit card. She has obviously paid me back for the flight tickets before boarding the flight.
She is independent and she has made it her mission to let the world know that she is independent.

I quickly put on the watch on my left wrist and proceeded for the puja.

Sampurnaa went down before the Sandhi Puja. I wanted to see the rituals, so I followed her suit. Dad came with me. We both sat down in one of the chairs kept nearby. There were two women other than Sampurnaa who were opening the delicate petals of the lotuses and blooming them. She was the only unmarried girl who had come down.
They did their work efficiently. Dad saw me observing them and then spoke to me gently, "Don't you think it is high time that you actually get settled? Your mother has been tirelessly looking around for girls but no one has impressed you yet. Your grandmother is growing old and she wants you to marry. Your sister and her husband are both of your age... They are having a child! Don't try and evade the topic in any way. Just give me your honest opinion."

I didn't know where to begin. But it was now or never. As my father, he has all the rights to know my opinion.
"It is not like I don't want to marry Dad. You know that I keep busy with work and hearings at court. Sometimes I am summoned at odd hours because I have to speak on behalf of the victim or the accused. All the women that I have met before wanted me to join their father's business or something, so I don't have to swot and work hard. They never bothered about the fact that I am a lawyer by profession and a criminal lawyer by passion. Those women were moreover very cunning and they wanted me to shift out of our house after marriage! I don't want to marry someone just because I am not getting married Dad! Marriage is a serious thing and you know it better than anyone else. If you want to find the correct person for me... Then you try to find a woman who is exactly the opposite of the women I just described."

I made my point clear and expressed myself firmly. My father nodded once I was done and then asked me one simple question, "Would you get married if I tell you I found someone like you want?"

I replied in affirmation.
The rituals began soon after and the conversation was forgotten.
Navami

Sampurnaa's pov:

I woke up with a heavy heart. Today is the last official day of the Puja. We just have a yagna and pushpanjali today.
It did not take very long and was over in 2 hours. We decided on going for pandal hopping today. This time to South Kolkata.

The places we visited were Mudiali, Badamtala, Suruchi Sangha, Jodhpur Park and Ballygunge Cultural Association.
Since today was the last day, it had been decided earlier that lunch would be eaten outside.

We had lunch at Sholo anna Bangali near Hazra.
Later before returning in the evening, Maa wanted to visit the Lake Kalibari Temple. She wanted to pray for her unborn grandchild. We all accompanied her. The priest gave Maa a flower from the Goddess' feet and asked her to give it to Boudi; so that the Goddess' blessings always remains with her.
It was 5 pm. Almost everyone wanted to return home... But I had a tiny desire in my heart. I wanted to go around Kolkata once.

After much thought, I went and asked Maa, "I want to visit a few places Maa. Can I please? I don't know when I will be back anyways! Please, please allow me!"

I was begging her with my eyes.
"You cannot go about Kolkata all alone! I am not allowing you to!"

"Why maa? I am 25! I spent 4 years all alone in the U.S.! Why don't you trust me to return home safely after a round in Kolkata? The police are on duty if God forbid, anything were to happen!"

After much thought, she went to speak to Baba. Baba said no straightaway. My heart sank!

Why are they not allowing me to go on my own for once in my life?

I turned for help towards Dada. Boudi had leaned on him and was on the verge of dozing off. Dida was walking with help from Manabi Aunty. There was no way in hell that anyone of them could help me!

I was fully prepared for a disappointment but I suddenly remembered Indrayan.

Neither does he have any particular work at the moment, nor is he going to be missed by anyone for a few hours at least! He can definitely help me out.

Maa was coming back after talking to Baba but before she could say no and disappoint me, I spoke up, "Maa! Ask him to accompany me! He is free at the moment and I am sure he won't be helping you with the cooking either." I pointed at Indrayan.

He looked surprised. He obviously has no idea for what I want him to volunteer. I just looked at him and gestured him to agree with me.
He nodded and my parents agreed. I asked them to not bother with the car. We would be able to manage with public transport.

Everyone else bid us goodbye and drove away.
Indrayan was standing there. He looked at me and asked, "For what did you ask me to nod 'yes'?"

I smiled sheepishly and then told him, "I wanted to go for a Kolkata darshan. Maa and Baba weren't keen on letting me go alone... Hence I roped you in."

"Why the hell am I dragged into everything?"

"Because.... You were the last option for me!"
"You did not even bother to ask me if I wanted to accompany you."

My face fell at that. Maybe he had some other plans. Why did I decide for him?

He smiled at my expressions.
"I promise you won't regret this!" I assured him.
He sighed and we both took an overcrowded bus from Gariahat to go to Park Circus. From Park Circus, we took a bus that was headed towards Alipore.

I had no place in particular that I wanted to visit. I just wanted to go out, around the City of Joy. The first stop was Victoria Memorial.
I loved this place as a child. We often came here for school field trips and picnics. Sometimes Maa and Baba would bring me and Baba here on Sundays because we liked to play in the lawns.

The next stop was Saint Paul's Cathedral. The Cathedral was quite empty. The pews were empty and I got a serene and peaceful environment to pray in.

The next stop was Princep Ghat.

The sun was just on the verge of setting. The horizon and the sky reflected beautiful colours. Indrayan and I sat on the lawn at the Ghat.
I was still dressed up in my saree from the morning and he was dressed in a casual shirt with jeans. It was easier for him to sit down on the ground than it was for me. I sat down somehow. There were several families and couples around us who had come to enjoy the evening.

There was a phuchka cart nearby. (panipuri)
I was instantly driven towards it.

"Get up! Let's go and have some phuchka!" I told Indrayan.
He got up and followed me.

I went to the vendor and asked him to make mine without spice.
Indrayan looked at me teasingly, "You can't eat hot and spicy food, huh?"

I nodded. My cheeks reddened a bit because it is embarrassing. I can't even handle a single chilli in a dish! I am actually worse than kids.
But then the next thing I heard was, "Aamar ta te jhaal kom deben." (Give less spice in mine)
I looked at him and raised my eyebrows. He shrugged, "I never said I am into hot and spicy food!"

We both had to our fill. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze dinner in my stomach tonight.
Once the sun had set and the ghat started becoming more crowded, we both left.

We took a bus to go to Park Circus.
The bus was very crowded and we both were standing. We both held on to the vertical rod for maintaining balance. The bus sped by the busy roads of Kolkata. We crossed a flyover. I caught a glimpse of my old school, Ashok Hall Girls' Higher Secondary School, Sr. Section. I excitedly pointed at it and started telling Indrayan about it.
We reached Park Circus soon after. We got down and we saw the immense crowd near the original branch of Arsalan. The pandal at the Park Circus Maidan was calling out to me, so I urged Indrayan to follow me there. The deity was beautiful.

Finally at 7.30 pm, we took a bus to Science City from Park Circus through Maa Flyover.
From Science City, we had to walk for 10 minutes.
We reached home at 8 pm.
I went and asked maa to not make dinner for me and Indrayan did the same. I guess we both got carried away at Princep Ghat!

The rest of the night was spent simply talking and spending time together. We viewed Dada and Boudi's wedding album and listened to the different stories that we could recollect from our own lives.

It is such a wonder! No matter how cold or distant a person is, family always brings out the best in him/her.
Since I came to Kolkata, I totally forgot my troubles, the impending case, my job and everything else. I was just happy to spend this pujo with them, in Kolkata.

I couldn't ask for more.

We retired to bed by 11 pm because we need to go for the idol immersion tomorrow.

..................................................................................

To be continued...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Practically, everyone's life is normal and slow. Everyday doesn't call for an extraordinary incidence or happening. Life is a journey... And the pace of the journey changes. This story is like that for me. I am not someone who believes in fairy tales. I don't know if fantasy love stories actually exist. From what I have seen though, life seems to be normal and uneventful in most cases... So this is my hybrid story between reality and fantasy... I have no idea how I am going since I barely get any reviews from my readers. I will be genuinely happy if you can vote, comment and share.

Thank you and stay well!

P.S. at least 20 comments would unlock the next chapter.
It is important for me to know what you think.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro