Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Hugging my jumper to my body, I walked down the empty street which was only illuminated lightly by some weak lampposts. Sniffling, I wiped the fresh tears that fell down my face, which had streaked my mascara to the point where you would be led to believe that I was some character in a horror movie.

"Why am I crying?" I whispered into the cool night air; it was not cold seeing as it was the peak of June but nevertheless goosebumps covered my arms and chills ran down my spine- although these may have been side effects from walking alone at night.

All the shops were closed bar one hopeful alcohol shop hidden on the corner of the road. The sound of a beer was appetizing and my mouth began to salivate as I imagined how good it would be to gulp down the ice cold liquid but I snapped out of these thoughts when I remembered that I had no money. Not a single penny.

Above me, the stars shone and I whistled wistfully to myself, wondering how on earth I had let everything get that far. How I had been so stupid. More tears fell as I thought of my new lonely life, I would be thrown to the sidewalk, left to beg for money despite knowing that I would only be thrown the occasional ten pence coin.

I was far too absorbed in wallowing in my own self pity that I wasn't watching where I was going and soon found myself plummeting to the ground. I hit the cold floor and banged my head slightly on the unforgiving ground causing a sharp pain to jolt through my skull.

"Watch it would you, I'm trying to get my beauty sleep," a voice said and I looked around to find the source of the noise. Right beside me lay a boy surrounded by sheets of cardboard and cardboard boxes.

"I'm so sorry-" I gushed, feeling my cheeks become red with embarrassment. I really had no idea that he was there, his camouflage was so impressive that I had assumed that the boxes were abandoned.

"You were too busy lost in your own thoughts that you didn't notice the teenage boy laying in his own cardboard fortress?" He grinned, his dimples showing under the faint light. A halo of curls adorned his handsome face, sticking out randomly as a result from sleeping 'rough'.

"I have a lot on my mind," I replied back, standing up to brush the dirt and grime off my clothing before looking back at the boy. He appeared to be young, still a teenager, however there was something about him that screamed 'old soul'.

"I would LOVE to hear about it, but I'm not a therapist," the sarcasm was clear in his voice and I rolled my eyes at his childish behaviour. I didn't know why I was still standing like an idiot next to him, I should have walked away the minute I apologized but there was something about the boy which intrigued me. What was a boy, who could have only been 15, doing out on the streets?

"No, I gathered that. Who are you, may I ask?" It was at this point that I sat back down, deciding that this cheeky young boy was far too entertaining to ignore.

"I am the cardboard king, self proclaimed survivor and a general legend. Haven't you heard of me?" He raised his eyebrow and smirked slightly, watching me as I tried to contain my laughter.

"No, your majesty. I hadn't heard of you, so please do inform me of your name," I played along with his game, hoping that it would lift my slightly somber mood.

"Harry," he replied back, "Harry Styles. And you?"

"Matilda," I responded, unsure of how much personal information I should give to this stranger.

"Shouldn't you have your nose in a book? Or be running from Ms Trunchbull?" He noticed my utter confusion and smiled to himself, "From the book, Matilda. About that little girl with special powers and all of that."

"Gotcha," I muttered, feeling slightly awkward. I should have been running still, trying to get as far away from my past as I could and yet I was talking to a teenage boy about children's books. I really was a mess.

"So cardboard king, how come you're out here?" I leant back and narrowed my eyes at him jokingly but I felt a shift in the atmosphere, we were no longer joking around.

"I could ask you the same thing," he replied back and I gulped slightly, remembering why I was walking by myself at night, without any of my possessions, with a tear streaked face.

Suddenly things weren't so funny anymore.

First chapter posted! What did you think? Why is Matilda running away and why is this cheeky young chap named Harry sitting in cardboard boxes? You'll have to wait and see!

Feedback is greatly appreciated x

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro