Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I moved slowly, trying to read the expression on the fruit seller's face which was undoubtedly anger. He knew exactly what I wanted to do, and he wouldn't let me.

"Hi, I was just wondering how much those..." My eyes trailed over the fruit on offer, "Oranges were?"

"20p per orange," the young grocer said sternly; the man could have only been 20 at the oldest, he had strong, piercing emerald eyes which boar into my soul. He was extremely attractive and in any other situation I would have flirted with him but I was far too scared.

"Mmm, could I get three oranges?" I whispered, hoping that while he was distracted with my oranges I could grab the watermelon and run.

"No," he grunted which took me by surprise, and I stepped back slightly. I surveyed my options, I knew that I couldn't go back to Harry without the watermelon because he would leave me in the snap of a finger. Narrowing my eyes, I eyed the big fruit and made an executive decision. Grab and run.

My hands clasped around the fruit and before anyone could stop me I sprinted away, running faster than I had ever done in my life. The pounding of footsteps beside me made my heart almost stop but I looked over to see a laughing Harry, his eyes crinkled up as we ran away.

We ran out of the market and finally took a break in an abandoned street, panting and laughing simultaneously which only caused us to become more out of breath.

"That. Was. Amazing," Harry said between laughs and I gave him a genuine grin, for once I felt happy. The adrenaline from the illegal activity that I had carried out made me feel energised, more like my old self. The one before the bad stuff happened.

"Thank you," I replied back and he brought me into a hug, before sitting down on the edge of the pavement to get his energy back. I joined him down on the hot stone, and placed the watermelon next to me like a trophy; I was secretly impressed with myself, I had never done anything like that before.

"Come on let's find somewhere to sleep," Harry said after a few minutes of gentle relaxation and pulled me up to my feet which were sore from the running we had just endured.

"Why did you even want me to get a watermelon?" I moaned, holding the heavy object in my arms as we walked through a field parallel to a road. Harry chuckled slightly, the sound was nice and comforting; there was just something about him that made me feel at ease, like he was all I could ever need in a companion.

"To annoy you," he replied back jokingly and I hit his arm slightly, feigning annoyance. The sun was still up in the sky despite it being nearly seven pm but its rays were warmer and not as harsh as the blinding light that had beaten down on us at midday.

All around us, flowers sprung up from the soil in clusters of white daises, some strong willed yellow daffodils who should have really disappeared by June and the occasional, unknown pink flowers. In the distance I could hear sheep bleating, and the low groans of the cows in a nearby field. It felt so peaceful, so innocent. A complete contrast to my life before.

"Let's set up camp here," Harry murmured and snapped me out of my serene state; nodding I placed the food in my arms down and removed my jacket to lay down on the slightly dewy grass.

Harry walked away from where we had decided to stay in search of anything we could use, digging around the bushes by the roadside where people usually flung things into carelessly. The quiet of the area gave me time to collect my thoughts, to finally have some time to understand all that had happened.

"Look what I found," a voice broke my train of thought and I looked up to see Harry holding a few sheets of cardboard which appeared to be untampered with. Removing our jackets from the slightly damp ground he lay the cardboard out, creating a small but effective bed for the both of us.

Night crept in, the light slowly fading into darkness and I lay awake staring at the stars. My jacket was sprawled over my body, providing some warmth although the air was warm enough for me to cope. Beside me, I could hear the small breaths that Harry made, and occasionally he would utter an incoherent word causing me to smile. He reminded me of a little boy, one who needed looking after despite his will to be independent.

"Get off me!" He mumbled, and I looked over to see that he was still asleep, his eyelids closed so delicately they looked like they could flutter open at any moment.

"GET OFF!" he screamed, his limbs thrashing around as his nightmare continued. I watched on helpless, unsure of what to do. Was this a normal thing for him? Suddenly he bolted up, panting and wheezing as he came back into reality.

"Harry, are you alright?" I whispered, worried for my new companion. What had he been dreaming about?

Ooooohh what was Harry's nightmare about? Will it help us get any closer to uncovering the truth about why he's on the streets?

Feedback please and vote if you enjoyed :)))

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro