Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I carefully stir my drink, watching as Finnick and Peeta rough house in the empty bar. Johanna and I had cleared out the tables and chairs on a Sunday night, when the bar is closed, so we could have sparing matches and just a genuine night at home for our little family. I smile at Annie as she sits with her mixed drink, clearly still feeling left out despite her husband being one of us. Johanna drinks straight from the bottle, sitting up on the counter. I watch the boys with great intrigue and Johanna nudges me. 

"You're undressing him with your eyes," She says and I glance at her, sliding my glass for her to fill.

"Can you blame me?" I say. "There's a reason that most animals fight in the fall to win a mate. There is just something about watching them fight like that." I shake my head and pull a fifty from my bra, the benefits of the last few night's tips. "This says my boy wins, best of five." As I say this, Finnick throws Peeta off, placing his shoe on Peeta's throat.

"Seriously?" Johanna asks, exchanging a look with Annie. "Don't you have just a little too much confidence in someone who has only been on a liquid diet little more than a week?" 

"Finnick has been turned almost half a century ," Annie states and I shrug as I'm handed back my glass. 

"Then you aren't taking a whole lot of a risk taking me up on this, are you?" I say and Johanna smirks, pulling her own money out and laying it on the bar. 

I watch as Finnick helps Peeta up and the two boys start circling one another again. I watch as they move and while Finnick is head taller than Peeta, the stocky blonde is definitely stronger built than the elder vampire. Not to mention, I have known Peeta to easily out wrestle every boy our age when we were back in the colonies. He learns from his opponents and this one has been showing him all his best moves for training purposes. Now that they are really fighting, I'm sure that Peeta will begin to have the upper hand. 

The next fight takes forever and eventually Peeta falls again, pinned to the floor by Finnick, but he clearly is getting tired. I walk over and watch as Finnick gets up and I look at Peeta, tilting my head. 

"What?" He asks and I lean over, shaking my head. 

"Stop letting him win," I reply and Peeta look at me. 

"I'm not," Peeta denies and I look at him again, narrowing my eyes.

"Not tapping into what you know about your opponent like I know you can," I say. "You are willfully letting him into your vulnerabilities and not taking advantage of the ones I know you know he has." Peeta sighs and gets up looking at me. "Just, think about your moments. Picture it out and do what you need to to evade and capture him." He nods and I run my finger down his jawline. 

"Is this because of the possible money loss?" He asks and I roll my eyes, shaking my head. 

"No, I've acquired quite a bit of that over the years," I say. "I just want to see you at your best. Do what I know and you know that you can do. Win." Peeta sighs and I pull my hand back, stepping back to the bar and picking up my drink.

"What was with that little pep talk?" Johanna asks and I sit back down. "He was letting him win?" 

"Yes," I say. On que, Peeta suddenly grapples on Finnick and pulls him up, smacking him against the floor and pulling his arm up. "He was letting Finnick win." I lick my lips and sink into the drink again. Johanna shoots me a look. "What? Was I under some disclosure agreement of his hand to hand skills when I made the bet?"

Peeta helps Finnick up and glances at me, smirking. He cracks his knuckles and wits for Finnick to get back into a fighting stance. Finnick attempts to strike out, quickly as he had before, but Peeta takes advantage of his tired state and the way he loses protection on his right side and takes that advantage. He incapacitates the other man and again has him on the floor. Pressing his knee into Finnick's shoulder blade, I hear the tapping on the floor from his fist as he taps out. 

"Okay," He grunts as he gets back up, "I'm too old for this. I concede."

"Oh come on!" Johanna says. "They're tied. I'm not paying you for a tie because he didn't actually win."

"I did by default," Peeta says and I shoot him a glance.

"Well, I'm not going to pay for a tie, and I don't do defaults," Johanna says and I look at her. 

"Well, then, how do you suppose the two of us settle this, Jo?" I ask and she sighs.

"The way we always do," she says standing up. and backing over to the open space where the boys had been fighting. 

"What does she mean?" Peeta asks and I stand up, pulling my hair into a ponytail and shucking off my loose shirt. 

"She's gonna knock Johanna's block off," Finnick says as I walk past them. "Prove why she is the Alpha female of this little hierarchy of ours." I walk over to the fighting space and stretch my arms out. 

"Are we really going to do this?" I ask. "I really don't feel like doing this right now."

"Oh come on, Brainless," She says, circling me. "You know every once in a while the monster needs let out. Feeding on your boy toy, that isn't enough for her. She needs to take a life. Even if it isn't with permanence." I snap my head around to look at her, feeling myself letting her taunting in enough for it to drive a fight out of me. I feel her at my left and turn, looking at her. "Well, hello Jacklyn." 

I grab onto her and twist her arm. She twists it  back and wraps her arms around me, trying to get at my neck. I grab a fistful of her hair and yank her face away from me. She knees me in the gut and I just grit my teeth, yanking her back. 

"Now, that is just fighting dirty," I say. Johanna chuckles and I push her off. "No teeth, Johanna. We made that a rule a  long time ago." 

"Oops," She says as we start to circle one another. I wait, calculating her next move. I know she is impatient, wanting to win too much to wait for my move first. She lunges and I twist her arm around behind her head, breaking it. She grunts and I whip her into a headlock. "Damn it. I forgot about that."

"This is exactly why you were the one with all the ideas, but I was the Queen." I hiss and she grips at my hands. "Lights out."

"Damn it, I fucking hate lights out!" Johanna says. I grip onto the back of her head and twist, snapping her neck and letting her fall dead to the floor. I look up at Peeta and he glances at Johanna.

"Is she-" He looks around me as I step over her and walk back to my drink. Finnick is lightly kissing Finnick on the cheek and he whispers something in her ear. "Is she dead?"

"For about an hour," I say. "She'll be fine. It just hurts like hell for an hour or two after she wakes up." I slide Peeta one of the bills and slip the other one back where it belongs. 

"Do you make a habit of snapping other women's necks," Peeta asks and I smirk, glancing over at the body of my friend. 

"No, just hers when she decides to test me," I say. "It's about respect. As Finnick stated, I'm the Alpha female. We might as well be a pack of wolves. Every once in a while, the order needs reaffirmed. It was only a matter of time, after we regrouped again."

"Seriously?" He asks.

"You wanted to snap Gale's neck for testing your place," I reply. "You tell me."

"Good point I suppose," Peeta says, turning the bill over in his hands. "What is this for?" I turn to him and place my hand on my hip. 

"For the bar tab at the night club," I say. "We are going for a hunt at a proper rave, now that you are able to control yourself. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro