10. Growth

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Strength isn't an illusion, it's an effort.

It takes four days for a normal climber to get through the valleys from Rustboro to Verdanturf. With the aid of Pokemon, even a normal Trainer could make it in three and a half days.

"Maybe it's because the fluffy Pokemon aren't with me..." she muttered, rubbing her numb palms together, noting how they felt a tad cold, "Lotty and Whismy aren't enough to make sure I don't get chilly at night."

Whismur was comfortably-sized plush toy in her arms, and Lotad seemed to like hanging around the crook of her neck. Her hands and feet though, were like ice, even in the comfort of the sleeping bag.

Wrapped up in a coat for the damp mountain morning, Citrine shivered. 

Roxanne, with a brewed, warm cup of hot chocolate, sat down beside her.

"So, where will you be headed after you reach Verdanturf?" Roxanne spoke up, watching the younger girl with a rather concerned eye.

Citrine blew on her drink, not really sure when would be a great time to start drinking, "the forest," her answer was rather matter-of-fact. If she started drinking now, she'd scald her tongue without knowing and that would be trouble, "I'm meeting up with Miss Wallene before that, though."

"So you get transferred from one guardian to the next," Roxanne concluded, "but you wish to travel the world, don't you? Surely, you must have planned a route from there."

At that, the blonde pulled open her PokeNav, viewing the town map. "I'll head on to Mauville, up toward Mt Chimney, then toward Fortree," she told the older girl, "my final goal would be the Berry Master's house in Route 123."

"You won't head toward Dewford?" Roxanne questioned, blowing on her own cup and taking a quick sip.

"Maybe, if Lotty evolves and can surf me across..." Citrine muttered to herself, meeting her Lotad in the eye and giving a nervous chuckle.

Whismur let out a whine, reaching with its stubby arms in the direction of the cup. Citrine lowered it, letting the little thing have a drink.

"I think you're spoiling your Pokemon," Roxanne noted.

"Really?" Citrine was surprised. She didn't think she was. "...Well, there are things I want to do on the way too. Challenge some gyms, attend some contests, maybe... I'm travelling the world, so it'd be a waste not to do any of that along the way, don't you think?"

Roxanne nodded, agreeing. "Wait, the gyms?"

Citrine giggled, bashful, "well, I already lost a battle against you, Miss Roxanne, I guess I really don't stand a chance against Gym Leaders so, it's kind of a distant dream, maybe..."

Citrine trailed off.

Roxanne was giving her a very displeased, pouting look that almost seemed scrutinizing.

"...yes?" she tried.

Roxanne sighed breath-fully, expressing her disappointment very obviously. Citrine felt cold sweat build up behind her neck-- did she do something wrong.

"Look, Citrine," Roxanne murmured, turning away irritated, "if you give up so quickly, nothing will ever come true. If you want to do something-- do it!" Her voice raised in the last two words, sharp and almost angry. "You won't get any stronger if you resign after trying once!"

People who came by her gym were ever frustrated-- there were many that always failed, yet, Roxanne admired to see them come in week after week striving with more determination than before. She loved to see courage and resolve build up in people.

As someone that crawled her way up to leadership with only effort in her striving, she hated people who gave up quickly.

Citrine flinched, clutching Whismur tight as she shrank. The hot chocolate flew from her hands. Lotad, reacting quickly, hopped under it and caught it on its lily pad.

"I'm sorry!" Citrine shrieked, fearful, "just--"

"Fight me again!" Roxanne demanded, "I'm gonna keep making you challenge me until we reach Verdanturf, got it?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro