1 | Oracle (II)

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Footsteps and the consequent squeaks they brought against the floorboards echoed in Xanthy's ears as Nyxis dropped to a seat next to her. The sun had gone down long ago and she hadn't moved since Rutoria left the house.

"Is it still too early to ask what in spicepods did you talk about?" Nyxis leaned against the table as he folded his arms to himself.

Xanthy sighed. He deserved to know, didn't he? She opened her mouth and out came the whole story—the chalice, the oncoming war, and what she planned to do in retrieving the chalice. By the time she finished, Nyxis's eyes were wide. "That was not supposed to be possible."

"Apparently, I was right and you are wrong," Xanthy rolled her eyes. She drummed her fingers on the table and set her mouth in a thin, determined line. "I am going after the chalice."

Nyxis mussed his hair and left it without fixing it back to its signature style. Xanthy knitted her eyebrows. He never did that. "Xanthy, you are not hearing yourself," Nyxis shook his head and closed his eyes. "You would still help him after what he did? I do not understand."

"Is it not what friends do?" Xanthy asked with a pointed tone. This was yet another talk she didn't want to happen with the only friend she had left. "Why do you have qualms about it?"

Nyxis scoffed. "Are you really asking me?" his voice rose. "I thought we already talked about this? He betrayed you, remember? It's natural for us to leave him on his own to die."

Xanthy's jaw slacked as her mouth dropped open. Was this still Nyxis she's talking to? What happened to the Nyxis who was understanding and empathetic? The Nyxis who would drop everything to save a person in need? This wasn't...this wasn't Nyxis. "I expected more from you," Xanthy's insides churned. "We are dealing with a life here—a soul. And you are being cruel."

Nyxis clicked his tongue. Red colored his face reminding Xanthy of a ripe ajilte. "You call me cruel when I am just thinking about you and his betrayal?" he snorted. "I am just worried that if you heal him, he will just betray us all over again. It will be more dangerous if he happens to turn on us in the middle of the war."

The war. Yet again, it was the thing that's coming between her, her friends, and their chances of living in harmony. Xanthy narrowed her eyes. "What makes you think that he will betray us again?"

"He did once," Nyxis glanced at the unconscious half-blood inches away from Pidmena's doorstep lying on the bed behind them. "What is to stop him from doing it again?"

Xanthy clenched her fists. "I will."

"You?" Nyxis waved his hand in Xanthy's face. "You will not be here if you ever plan to use that throne. You are going to leave us with him."

Was she expected to take the responsibility in healing June? Was this what it was? Xanthy crossed her arms. "Are you seriously going to talk down on me with that tone?" she dropped her voice into a harsh whisper.

Nyxis matched her gesture and turned fully towards her by swinging his legs to the side of the chair. "You deserve it," he spat. "You are not thinking clearly."

Xanthy scoffed. What kind of an argument was that? "Letting him die is thinking clearly?" she blinked back the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes. No. She wouldn't allow it. "What has gotten into you, Nyxis?"

"Nothing got into me," Nyxis slapped the table with his palm and stuck a finger in Xanthy's direction. "My question is what has gotten into you to still see the good in him even when he had the guts to lie to your face. Is it because you still love him, like the lovestruck fairy you are?"

Blood rushed to Xanthy's face as her magic bled to the surface. For the Queen's sake, she wanted to blow something up. "Is that supposed to be an insult?" Xanthy seethed. Her nails dug into her skin from clenching them so hard. "That is a lame insult, Nyxis."

The human narrowed his eyes. "But it is true, is it not?" he pushed himself up from his chair and spread his hands to the sky. "Me, heartless? How can I have sympathy left for that lowlife who betrayed us?" he whirled to Xanthy. "He betrayed you, Xanthy!"

"It is just one mistake, Nyxis," Xanthy turned to him as he began pacing with his hands twined atop his head. "Why can you not forgive your friend?"

"He is not your friend," Nyxis stopped pacing and shook his head. "He is not my friend. He is not your lover either. Wake up!"

Xanthy inhaled sharply as she shot up and stalked towards him. It's a good thing she couldn't use her magic or she would have blown Nyxis to dust. She got into his face and growled in frustration. Then, she stomped away.

"Do not turn your back on me," Nyxis threatened.

Xanthy faced him. Her eyes, throat, and face burned. "Or what?" she wiped at the tears sprouting at the corner of her eyes. This wasn't fair. Why was she always the one in the wrong? Why did she always have to fight for her needs? "You will let me die on my own?"

"That is not fair, Xanthy," Nyxis pushed his hair off his forehead. "I only want what is the best for you."

Xanthy sneered. "What are you, my father? Last I checked, you are not anything to me," she turned away from him and strode towards the washbasin at the far end of the room. Space. She needed space from everything else. "Shut your mouth and let me do what I want."

Nyxis called her name and the next thing she knew, a strong hand gripped her elbow. "I cannot stand back while you go about putting yourself and the island in needless danger," Nyxis said as Xanthy whirled to him.

Xanthy yanked her arm from his grip. "I cannot believe I am hearing you say this," she hissed. Despite their difference in height and with Xanthy standing up to his nose, she glared at him. "Are you saying that saving one soul is useless?"

"I am saying that maybe this is what fate has for him," Nyxis sighed and his hands found her shoulders. She stared at his grip. Hated it. "Maybe we are not to hinder it. We should just surrender him to the Heir. Be done with it."

Xanthy gazed up at Nyxis's eyes to find only resolve in them. "I cannot believe this," she shook her head as she drove one of his hands from her shoulder. "We save what we can save. Is it not you who taught me that? You are a doctor. You should not be as heartless as a wooden spoon!"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Xanthy jabbed a finger in Nyxis's shoulder. "It means that you should reevaluate everything you stand for before you tell me what to do," she slapped his other hand away from her and stalked towards the washbasin once more. "I am going after the chalice and there is nothing you can do to stop me."

If Nyxis could see anger, he would probably see it as a plume of smoke rising from her ears. Xanthy clenched her fists at her sides as she kept her moist eyes towards the end of the room. Just make it there. Frustration built in her throat and she screamed. Her vision spotted a rotting kettle lying on her way. The tip of her boot sent it clattering away in a series of metallic crunches against the floorboards.

Damn it all.

Xanthy turned back to Nyxis. This time, she let the tears fall freely from her eyes, down to her chin and into the dark wooden floor. "I do not love him," Xanthy's shoulders shook from her cries. Her voice shook. "Not anymore," she sniffed and wiped her face against her sleeve. She cleared her throat. "In two days, we will leave for Dwanzeig."

Then, Xanthy turned to the washbasin and gripped the sides of it as her knees rocked, struggling to keep her up. Nyxis didn't come after her nor did he say anything else. The only thing she heard coming from the main room was a sigh and the sound of hands clapping thighs. Then, creaks of floorboards signified boots walking away.

Xanthy gazed back at the dark water rippling on the basin. Even her own reflection wasn't someone she recognized. Not anymore. She sighed.

This was going to be a long night.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro