30. Leadership

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

E V E R E T T

"Okay, guys. I was thinking today we finalize getting the elevator and the bell fixed. Lana, can you send the principal an email about it?"

Lana, who was seated next to me around the table in the student council room later that day nodded. She dropped her gaze on her laptop screen as her fingers started flying across the keyboard.

"Shouldn't we talk about what Arjun said first?" Kevin suddenly asked.

Glancing at Kevin, I furrowed my brows. "What about it?"

He glared at an unbothered Lana with his arms folded across his chest. "You being friends with Lana. I don't think that will make you a valid student council president."

Lana stopped typing. Suddenly, tension filled the air in the room as everyone stared at Kevin and then at me. I furrowed my brows as overwhelming frustration built up inside of me.

"Why are you treating her like a villain, Kevin? She's not going to turn me against you guys and the rest of the school," I said. Everyone seemed completely taken aback, which made me realize how aggressive I sounded.

"Well, what do you guys think? Am I not certified to be president anymore?" I looked at them all, not just Kevin. I sounded furious but underneath all those layers of anger, anxiety turned my stomach and suddenly I felt very insecure about this whole thing.

"Dude. I don't care who you're friends with. People are just overreacting. You're the best for this job," Ali said, giving me a friendly smile before scowling at Kevin.

"Yeah. Ali is right. Our school system has been corrupted since forever. You've changed that completely," Lily said, smiling.

Sonya nodded. "I agree too, and what's wrong with being friends with Lana? It's great that the student council president is friends with a member of The Sirens. It's like a solid partnership that the whole school can benefit from."

I sighed and was suddenly aware of my hands turning sweaty in my lap. Despite the reassurance, I felt out of place in this room for the first time. Kind of like I didn't belong here anymore.

To everyone's surprise, Lana jumped up from her seat and cleared her throat before raising her voice from the usual calm, blunt and flat tone to a firmer and clearer one. "Everett is optimistic, hopeful, and too kind for his good, but that's what makes him a good leader. Half of the time he just rambles like an idiot, but he does have a passion for everything he starts on and makes sure to put the effort in it to finish it. He is courageous and honest. He looks at everyone as equals despite their reputation and how they treat him. Everett believes in the people here and he is positive about it."

By the time she sat down again and shot me a tiny grin, everyone's jaws were on the floor, including my own.

"I don't think I have ever heard Lana say more than three sentences in a row," Lily whispered, staring at Lana with eyes blown wide open.

"Forget three sentences. I haven't heard her say more than three words," Sonya added, astonishment displayed across her face.

After that, we all continued the meeting with smiles on our faces while Kevin remained annoyed. I didn't think about that though. All I had was Lana, her surprising words, and that little grin she shot me, glued to my mind during the whole meeting and the rest of the school day.

~

After the last period, English lit, came to an end and the students rushed out of the classroom, Lana stayed remained in her seat. As I put on my jacket and pulled my backpack over my shoulder, I made my way over to her.

Legs crossed, her gaze was dropped down on the Nintendo switch in her lap, hidden behind her desk. Despite being completely immersed in the game she was playing, her gaze jerked up when I approached her desk. She briefly pushed her bangs aside and blinked up at me.

I smiled. "Hey. What are you playing?"

Lana brought her Nintendo up to her desk and I spotted Shy guy speeding past all the other racers. I grinned. "Wow. You've pretty much claimed the first place, haven't you?"

Lana smiled, briefly. My grin widened. She was so cute. Nowadays, I was always so excited to be around her. Others probably didn't see it, but Lana was so fun and cool to hang out with.

"Thanks for saying all those nice things about me during the student council meeting today. You're a good friend," I said, genuinely meaning it.

To my confusion, Lana seemed slightly shocked. "So we're still friends?"

I blinked. "Yeah, of course. You didn't think I'll stop being friends with you just because of what others were saying, were you?"

In response, Lana remained silent and still before dropping her gaze to her lap. She wasn't particularly short but she seemed so small sitting in that chair in an oversized grey hoodie and baggy light blue jeans.

I chuckled before a smile crept up on my lips while I ruffled her hair. Lana's face jerked up, her black doe eyes suddenly surprised as they met mine.

"Don't worry, Lee. We're still friends. I wouldn't give it up for anything."

Just before I saw her cheeks turn light pink, she quickly changed the subject. "Did you do your math homework for tomorrow?"

My smile faded and I groaned. "No. I've been putting it off since last week. I tried yesterday but I didn't understand anything. I'm going to try again when I get home today. Maybe I'll text Ali or Lily-"

"-I can help you."

Taken aback, I blinked. "Wait, what? Really? But the school building is closing now because of some renovations being done. We won't be able to study in the school building."

"We can do it at my place," she said, putting her things in her backpack.

Astonished, I smiled. "Really? Okay. Sounds good. Thanks, Lee."

She shuffled to her feet in an awkward position and I tried to walk slowly so she could keep up with me and we could walk next to each other.

"Baka," Lana muttered but just a second before I caught a small, admiring smile tug her lips.

After leaving the school building, I glanced at Lana. "I didn't bring my bike today."

"Me neither."

"Then I guess we're walking."

We headed down the street and I zipped up my jacket as the November cold stung through my clothes and wrapped around my bones. I glanced at Lana who stuffed her hands in the pockets of her fluffy black coat and exhaled a cold breath out in the air. Her cheeks along with her nose and ears were immensely red in contrast to her pale skin. I found myself smiling by the sight of her.

"Someone's following us," Lana suddenly said, after we had walked for ten minutes or so.

My breath hitched. "What?"

"Keep your voice low," she whispered.

"Sorry. Are you sure? Who is it?" I was suddenly aware of my surroundings and refrained from glancing behind my shoulder.

"Dunno. I have to find out," she said, keeping her voice low.

"Okay, what should we do?" I asked casually despite my tensed shoulders.

Surprised, she gave me a sideways glance. "We? You want to come?"

I nodded, quickly. "Of course. I have to. Who's going to protect you?"

Lana tensed up next to me. "I don't- I can take care of myself."

What was wrong with her? Why didn't she want my help? I thought she trusted me.

"Okay, but you got me too. So tell me. What's the plan?"

"There's no plan. Let's chase him," she replied, firmly.

"Wait. Lana, I think we should have a plan. At least a mini-plan," I said, hastily. My heartbeat quickened.

"I'll climb and then jump him. You think you can chase him?"

Without thought, I nodded. "Yeah. I think I can."

"Then turn and run," she whispered.

Again, without thought, I spun around and caught the hooded guy watching us from a distance off guard. He almost tripped and fell when his green eyes met mine but he was quick to scramble to his feet and made a run for it. I raced after him.

"Hey! Stop!" I shouted. It hit me that I may have been a leader at school but here on the streets of Lakewood, I was nobody and had no idea what I was doing. Unlike me, Lana, who I glanced behind my shoulder to catch a glimpse of, had disappeared from her spot on the sidewalk.

Lana was made for this. She was experienced on the streets and I was experienced at school grounds. We both had our strengths and weaknesses and that's how we complemented each other and made a good duo. With that thought, I picked up my pace and chased after the guy in black.

Author's note: Hi, here's a new chapter! Sorry for the long delay. I have been busy with school. I hope you still enjoyed this chapter:)

Remember to
Vote⭐️
Comment❤️
Share with friends🌹
Follow me☺️

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro