1 - Gotham By Night

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER ONE: GOTHAM BY NIGHT

Gotham was considered one of the gloomiest cities of the country and rightfully so.

It carried a distinct vibe to it that would creep out any outsider while the residents were used to it all, having seen the worst of the worst on the streets of this gloomy city. It made Alex really glad that she lived in Brooklyn, where she wouldn't stand out while using her powers. Here, even flying above the city, the streaks of cosmic energy emanating from her body were bound to attract some unwarranted attention.

As Alex flew over the dark, clouded city, her eyes caught a sharp, green light chasing after some sort of creature dressed up in black. 'Please don't tell me that's the Green Lantern...god, no.'

She had seen him, once or twice, around New York and both times, the two of them had an argument which ended up with them trying to show each other up. He was arrogant, cocky and reckless; he was everything Alex prided herself on not being. But she admired him too, for the good work he had done in Coast City.

Shaking her head as she followed the Lantern, Alex flew a few feet away from them, biding her time, waiting for the correct moment to sweep in. Suddenly, she heard a woman scream and realised that the creature in black had been holding a brunette woman, and now it had dropped her out of the sky. Taking this as her chance, she dove right where the woman was falling and grabbed her out of the air, her cloak flying behind her.

Alex held the woman bridal-style before flying over to the nearest roof. Gently, she set down the lady, who looked very frazzled.

A thud behind her told her that Green Lantern had joined them too, but she ignored him and that annoying little cough he let out to grab her attention.

"Are you alright?" Alex asked the woman, offering her a smile.

"You two saved me," The woman said, her voice still full of fear.

'You two? It was just me who stopped you from becoming mulch on the pavement, lady,' Alex thought to herself.

"Sure did," Lantern said, and Alex turned around to look at him. Of course, he would have that disgusting smirk on his face. "The name's -"

"What's the catch?" The woman interrupted him, eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"What?" Alex looked towards her, slightly confused.

"What's it gonna cost me?" The woman asked, crossing her arms.

"You're welcome, lady," Lantern stated in his deep voice before he flew off the roof with Alex following behind.

Alex shook her head slightly as she concentrated on flying away. Surrounded by her blue-gold cosmic energy, she must have been quite a beacon in the skies of Gotham, right alongside Lantern's bright green energy. As though trying to leave her behind, he increased his speed and raised his altitude. Alex snorted. 'No way you're getting rid of me that easy.'

"So what brings you to these parts, Lantern?" Alex yelled towards him in an amused tone. "I never thought you would be one to hang around Gotham."

"It's none of your business, Nova!" He yelled back, sounding just as annoying as before. And oh yeah, did she forget to mention he never called her by her full superhero name? It was always Nova for some reason. With one final burst of energy, Alex caught up, flying right next to him.

"First of all, it's Supernova, not Nova," Alex glared at him slightly, although the c0rners of her mouth were quirked upwards. He was just trying to get a rise out of her, but she wasn't gonna let him. "And second of all, we can -"

"I'm not working with you!" Lantern said, head turning left and right as he scanned the area for that creature from before. "Don't forget what happened last time we met!"

"That was not my fault at all! I was trying to bust a smuggling ring when you flew in and tried to steal all the glory for yourself."

"Well, you were the one who needed saving so.."

"I was handling it, you dipshit."

"Does handling it involve having a gun pointed to your head?"

"It's called acting, Lantern. Acting. Do I have to tell you what that means?"

Before Lantern could open his mouth to let out a snarky reply, the creature appeared right behind them, tackling them both to the nearest roof where they crashed onto the billboard, which erupted in a fiery explosion. Alex rolled out of the way as she got up, coughing the smoke out of her lungs. The black cloth burned away from the creature's body, revealing it to be some sort of alien-looking, robotic monster.

"High tech armor, huh?" Lantern said, a hint of arrogance dotting his voice. "You're gonna have to do better than that."

The monster proceeded to grab him, punch him multiple times and then tossed him onto the next roof. Alex sighed. 'Why does he have to be so reckless?' She quickly blasted the creature with cosmic energy, disabling it for a few moments as she flew right next to Green Lantern, helping him get up.

"Okay, that was better," Lantern groaned slightly. Before Alex could reply to his sentence, the creature flew right next to them, kicking her in her chest. She yelped in pain as she rolled away, pressing her hand to the gold star emblem. The creature, meanwhile, was harshly putting his legs on Lantern's chest, who was struggling to get it off him.

Letting the energy build up in her hands, she readied another blast, but before she could do anything else, another figure tackled the monster away from the Lantern and onto the next roof. Alex looked at Lantern, both having similar, confused, expressions on their faces. Together, the two of them flew to the roof to get a better look at this new entrant.

"What were you doing at the docks? I want answers," The man demanded, his voice gruff and harsh. His arms were pinning down the creature, but the monster opened his mouth, which suddenly filled with fire. The other man rolled out of the way as the monster spewed the fire in his direction.

Not waiting any longer, Alex shot beams of cosmic energy at the creature, followed by Lantern who also did the same, except he built a train out of his green energy. The train pushed the creature away from the roof, sending it flying.

As Alex landed on the roof, she recognised the figure. He was dressed like a bat, with sharp ear like things on his cowl and also had a bat symbol emblazoned on his chest.

"Holy- Batman?!"

"You're real?" Lantern stated in surprise.

"Turn it off," Batman said harshly. Alex immediately lessened the cosmic energy surrounding her fists, reducing the light coming from them. But it seemed Lantern didn't understand the meaning of Batman's words.

"I had him!" Lantern said as he glared at Batman.

"Clearly," Batman said. "Now turn off the damn light show before they see us."

"Before who sees us?" Green Lantern questioned.

The whirring noise immediately grabbed Alex's attention and her head snapped in its direction. Three helicopters were flying right up to them, hovering away from the roof. "This is Gotham P.D. Put your hands in the air!"

"Oh great," Alex muttered, as she dropped her hands to her side. Besides her, Lantern immediately raised his hands.

"They don't like us very much."

"Way to state the obvious, dipshit," Alex rolled her eyes. Her mind was thinking back to all the slandering articles she had found online, all of them against her. Of course, they didn't like them.

"The world's afraid of us," Batman stated.

"You said that like it's a good thing," Lantern said, tilting his head slightly.

"It's necessary."

All of a sudden, a growl erupted from behind them. The creature's mouth was once again filled with fire, as it prepared to spew it at them. As soon as he shot the fire in their direction, Alex shot up in the air, feeling the heat singe the bottom of her boots. Batman tackled Lantern out of the way as the creature propelled itself in the direction of the helicopters, sending them scattering in the sky.

Batman reached into his belt and grabbed what appeared to be a grappling gun. He started running in the direction of the monster, shooting out a hook which attached itself to the creature's legs. "Take your glowsticks and go home! Gotham's mine!"

He jumped off the roof, letting the creature pull him into the sky. Green Lantern immediately flew after him, without making a plan.

Alex face-palmed. "Why me? And why the hell are all male superhero-vigilantes so full of themselves? Why?"

She quickly flew across the roof, her cloak fluttering behind her as she caught up with Lantern and Batman who was still holding the grappling hook which was attached to the creature's leg.

"See, this entire space sector is my beat," Green Lantern said as he flew next to Batman.

"Uh huh," Batman said, sounding very unimpressed.

"I'm serious. I'm Green Lantern, dammit!" Lantern yelled.

"Are you a child or what?" Alex said, shaking her head as Lantern shot green blasts towards the creature, stopping it in its way. The creature suddenly dropped in altitude, taking with it Batman, who barely managed to pull himself up in from the traffic still on the roads.

The creature flew left and right, up and down as it tried to get rid of the man attached to his foot. It flew over a construction crane, but Batman used it as a way to thrust himself off the metal, launching himself into the sky. The three of them went around in circles, as both Lantern and Alex shot their energy blasts at the creature. But the creature didn't back down at all.

Using the temporary distraction offered by the two flying heroes, Batman used the rope that was dragging him around the city and pulled on it with a harsh tug, jumping on the monster's back. The creature awkwardly jerked around as he flew, trying to throw Batman off his back. Alex closed her eyes, letting the cosmic energy build up inside her before. In one furious blast, she released it all as a concentrated beam of pure power, striking the creature right in the middle of its robotic armor.

Batman jerked out of the way as the creature crashed to the ground. Alex clenched her right hand into a fist, silently whooping to herself.

"Okay, I have to admit, that's kinda cool," Lantern told her, staring at her in awe. Alex just smirked, as she took off her hood, running her hand run through her blonde hair.

"Told you I can handle myself," She winked at him. She flew down, landing right next to Batman who was staring down an open manhole cover. Seconds later, Lantern joined them as well.

"Where'd it go?" Alex questioned, as she stared around the area. This fight with the creature had already caused a lot of destruction, with a few cars currently on fire and the road had a crack on it.

"Down there," Batman pointed towards the open manhole, before jumping down, right through it. Lantern floated through the manhole with Alex following behind.

She let out a slightly annoyed groan as she entered the manhole, floating into the darkness. After an incident in an abandoned subway station, she really didn't have a liking for things underground.

'Sewers...I fucking hate sewers.'

And here's the first chapter of my Hal Jordan fic! I'm actually really happy with this because I had a lot of fun writing down the banter between Alex and Hal, which you're gonna see more off later. And potentially, you might get a few deleted scenes of their previous team-ups, when I complete this fic.

Although I've already said this in the introduction chapter, this fic is based off the DC animated movie, Justice League: War so the entire plot revolves around the events of that movie, with minor deviations from the plot to accommodate Alex's character.

I really hope you enjoyed reading this chapter! Let me know what you think in the comments below!

(shoutout to dinahsiance for making me this amazing sign-off )

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro