14 - Golden Princess

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: GOLDEN PRINCESS

Sunlight streamed through the windows, casting a warm glow in the room. It looked like it would be a sunny day in Brooklyn today.

Alex woke up to kisses being trailed across her shoulder. Each kiss was warm and gentle, like feathers falling across her body. She was on her side, arms holding onto the blanket covering her. Hal lay next to her, his eyes half-closed.

"Morning," He greeted, his voice slightly husky.

Even though she was still half-asleep, she found herself swooning. His morning voice was hot. "Morning, Hal."

After a short pause, Alex added. "So, last night really happened, didn't it?"

"Yup," Hal replied, smirking slightly

"It wasn't a dream? You're here?"

"I am."

"Oh thank god," Alex said, letting out a relieved sigh. She placed a soft kiss on his neck before snuggling into him. Hal put an arm around her body, pulling her close. He traced circles on her back as he hugged him even closer.

"Oh thank god? What's that supposed to mean?" Hal mumbled. "You really thought it was a dream?"

"Yeah," Alex answered. "I kind of did. It's a little hard for me to believe that we actually...um...you know..."

"Why is it hard for you to believe that last night was real?" Hal sounded a little surprised at her statement. "It happened. It really did happen."

"See, serious relationships are not really my thing. I've barely ever managed to make a relationship last more than three weeks or a month. Nor have I ever managed to fall in 'love' or something like that. And then you come into my life and it's like...ughh."

"Uggh? What's that supposed to mean"

"You're Hal Jordan. You're like a damn good pilot. You're a Green Lantern and I don't think a lot of people can be those. You are so confident and so annoyingly handsome. And me? I'm just plain old Alex from New York who got powers because of some stupid accident. I'm not special like you, nor will I ever be."

"You're wrong," Hal immediately said. He gently pushed her away. Seeing the strangely curious and slightly melancholic look on her face, he put a hand on her cheek. "You're so very wrong."

"Trust me," Alex mumbled, not meeting his eyes. "It's hard for me to believe that after years of thinking like I do."

Hal scoffed slightly, an unrecognizable look on his face. "How are you even like that, you silly golden princess?"

"Huh?" She sent him a confused look. "Golden princess? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Alexandra, you best believe me when I say how special you are," Hal said with a serious look, which was rare for him. But he was serious about whatever they were now and whatever they would be. "Maybe you don't think that, but you are special to an unknown degree. And people know that. That's why they like you. That's why I like you. More than you know."

"You like me?" Alex asked. "I mean, of course, you like me. Last night was proof enough."

She abruptly sat up on the bed, holding the blanket to her chest with one hand, while her other remained on Hal's chest. He quickly covered it with his own, holding it in place. Alex could feel his questioning stare on her and also sense the surprise he felt at her sudden movements.

"I am going to take a shower," Alex plainly stated. "And you are going to join me. And then we can talk later."

Hal grinned wildly. "I can get behind that."

"Yeah, yeah, flyboy. Just get up. And no stupid tricks while in the shower, okay?"

"I wouldn't do anything like that. Except maybe steal a kiss or two?" He was, of course, lying. He would do everything like that.

And so, a kiss wasn't the only thing that took place in the shower that morning.

Alex already missed Hal.

She managed to kiss him as many times as she could, took in a lot of his warmth and stole his leather jacket before she had allowed him to leave. He had been annoyed when she had refused to return his jacket, but a simple kiss was enough to convince him to hand it over to her. She was wearing it at the moment, sitting at her desk. It smelled good and felt so comfortable to wear.

Alex took out her phone and sent him a quick text. 'Hope you got home safe. Btw, your jacket's awesome. And super comfortable. So thanks for that xx.'

She closed her phone and put it aside, before returning her attention to her open notebook. Her birthday was soon, a week to be exact. And she hadn't yet decided if she wanted to have a party or not. It's not like she had a lot of people to invite in the first place. She'd just stick with Hal and Barry this time. Or maybe just Hal. Who knew?

Her phone buzzed. It was a text from Hal.

HAL: You stole my jacket, golden princess.

ALEX: Well, it is super comfy. And besides, I think I have a right to steal your things now.

HAL: Oh yeah? then I can steal things from you as well.

ALEX: And what exactly would you take from me, flyboy?

HAL: For one, your heart.

Alex scoffed, her face growing warm at his words. 'Could you be anymore cheesier??'

HAL: Hey, it was a good one.

ALEX: That would have been a good line, only when hell would have frozen over.

HAL: 😝😝😝

ALEX: Real mature, Hal. Real. Mature. Anyways, I'm gonna go keep my phone away now. Call me later.

HAL: Kay, byeee

Alex shook her head, smiling slightly. How the hell was she so attracted to Hal even when he was so annoying was a question she needed answers to, though probably there weren't any. But whatever they were now, or whatever they would be in the future, it all made her extremely. Probably happier than she had ever felt.

'That's love,' The silly part of her brain said. 'You love Hal.'

'Oh shut up,' Alex mumbled. But it wasn't like she was denying it. She did believe it. She believed it with all her heart.

And so time passed as it did.

Her birthday came and went by, but it became one of her most memorable ones. Alex got off work early, flew over to her parent's house and spent some time with Andrew, hung out with Barry and Hal as both of them visited Brooklyn. Then in the evening and through the night, Hal spent time with her, concluding her birthday night with a short visit to space, during which Alex almost freaked out.

As further time passed after the Darkseid invasion, small crime increased once more. Alex found herself falling into her old routine again, dressing up as Supernova and drinking a shit load of coffee to keep herself running. But there was one change in her routine. Every night before she left for patrol, she skyped with Hal for about ten minutes where he reminded her to stay safe and sleep on time.

It would take her lit-up golden fists to remind him of her strength, after which she would promptly stick her tongue out at him. It was a change, but a welcome one. It reminded Alex to not take things too seriously. (Hanging out with Hal tends to do that to a person)

Things were going okay. No alien invasion, no monsters in sight...it was all going to be fine.

(Oh, how she would regret thinking that in a couple of months)

And that brings us to the end of part one! Part two will take place during Justice League: Throne of Atlantis and I can't wait for you guys to read what I've got planned for that!

I can say that this was such a fun chapter to write and NovaLantern are already such an annoying but cute couple. Like I love writing them so much and this and the previous chapter are my favorite chapters for them.

I hope you enjoyed reading this. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro