2 - A Slytherin Return

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Draco saw the approaching castle out of the window. He shifted slightly, making the sleeping Slytherin stir in his lap.

"Wake up, sleeping beauty," He whispered, hoarsely in her ear. "We're here."

A soft groan left her lips as her eyelids fluttered opened.

"Where? What? Is breakfast ready?"

Draco chuckled softly as he leant forward, lovingly pecking his lips upon her forehead.

"No, not breakfast Rosie. But if we don't get off the train in time, we'll miss the start of year feast."

Rosie sat up, blinking, taking in her surroundings.

"Oh, sorry! How long was I asleep for?" She asked, stretching her arms out and jutting her chest out, causing a stirring in Draco's loins.

"A couple of hours, I didn't want to wake you. You looked so peaceful." He smirked, as a slight blush crept to her cheeks.

Not long later, they stepped out into the platform, the brisk night air hitting them. Draco noticed Rosie shiver as she wrapped her Slytherin robes around her. He wondered if it was the cold that was making her shiver - or something else.

He took her hand and smiled reassuringly at her. "Come on, let's go and find a coach."

Rosie flinched as they approached the line of coaches, each one attached to a dark winged skeletal horse. Draco had forgot that she hadn't attended Hogwarts in their final year, and so this would be the first time she had seen the monstrous beasts pulling the coaches. In fact, he thought, looking at the horrified faces of the other students, this would be the first time a lot of them saw the Thestrals.

Draco found an empty coach and, throwing their trunks in first, held the door open for Rosie.

"Your carriage awaits, Madam," he bowed dramatically, sweeping his arm.

Rosie just looked at him, aghast.

"What? I'm being a gentleman!" He laughed.

"I don't like it," Rosie said, ignoring the offer of his hand to help her in. "I'm not used to you being this nice, especially here."

She clambered in, Draco following.

"Well get used to it," he said, his eyes glinting in the darkness. "Because I want to look after you, Rosie."

He went in to kiss her, when the coach door suddenly burst open, making him jump back with a start.

A small groan escaped his lips as Pansy Parkinson and Theodore Nott climbed in.

"Don't sulk, Draco," Pansy sneered. "There's no other carriages free, so you'll have to excuse us for interrupting your little love in."

Her eyes roamed over Rosie, and Draco noted the look of sheer disgust in them. He placed his arm around her protectively, sneering back at Pansy.

"I always knew you had a thing for that," Theo snarled, jabbing his finger towards Rosie. "Like it dirty, don't you, Malfoy?"

Draco's hands clenched immediately and Rosie looked up at him, shaking her head ever so slightly. He couldn't understand why she was being so calm. They were treating her like dirt.

And then it suddenly occurred to him that she had experienced years of this already. From them. From him.

Ashamed didn't even come close to how he felt.

"Why are they even letting you back here, anyway?" Draco snapped at Theo.

"I could ask the same question about you, Malfoy." Theo's eyes narrowed. "I seem to remember I wasn't the only one running around in a Death Eater cloak. In fact, I learnt a lot from yours truly, didn't I?"

Draco glared back, itching to pull his wand out.

"Now, now, boys," Pansy drawled, making Draco wince. "Let's not fight in front of the Mudblood."

That was it. Draco straightened up, furiously pulled his wand out and shoved it right in Pansy's shocked face.

"Take that back," he snarled, dangerously. The wand shook as anger burned through him.

He felt a hand grasp his arm.

"Draco," Rosie soothed. "Draco, please don't. They really aren't worth it."

Breathlessly, he lowered his wand arm, not taking his glaring eyes off of Pansy. He didn't know what he had ever seen in her.

Rosie placed a warm hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze. He squeezed it back, feeling such a rush of love and gratitude towards her.

The coaches, thankfully, came to a standstill and Draco looked out to see the castle turrets looming over them. He swallowed. He didn't know how he felt about coming back to this place after everything that had happened. He was just glad that he had Rosie by his side. And he vowed he would do everything he could to protect her from the cruelty of their fellow Slytherins.

Rosie

My heart hammered in my chest as I placed each foot up the familiar stone steps.

The last time I had stood on these steps, I watched Hagrid lay a 'dead' Harry at Voldemort's feet. The last time I had stood on these steps, Draco and I had clung to each other before we were cruelly separated. I was stood only feet away from where a Death Eater tried to Avada Kedavra me. I thought I had died. Draco thought I had died.

I gasped as the sudden onslaught of memories flooded my mind, clutching at my heart. My airways felt like they were closing up and I couldn't breathe.

"Rosie?"

I realised I had stopped walking and was bent over double, clutching at my stomach. Draco was staring at me, worry etched over his face.

"I'm sorry," I breathed, wondering why no one else was reacting the same as me, as they bustled on past up the steps, nearly knocking me flying.

Draco grabbed my hands and pulled me up to him. He wrapped his arms fiercely around me, kissing my hair.

"It's OK," he murmured in my ear. "You've got me. You've got me."

I closed my eyes, his comforting embrace instantly calming me.

"Malfoy! Carter! No dawdling!" Professor McGonagall's clipped voice rang out into the night.

Draco and I pulled apart, shared a look as if to say 'here we go' and, hand in hand, ventured up into the castle together, the great oak doors closing firmly behind us.

Draco sighed impatiently as we continued to watch the Sorting Ceremony. I grabbed his hand under the table and threw him a sympathetic smile. It really was a long ceremony this year, having a whole extra year to Sort, due to the school being closed for the whole of the previous year.

We were squashed together at the Slytherin table, trying to make room for the extra additions. Draco smiled warmly back at me and started tracing his thumb over the back of my hand, making me shiver pleasantly.

I realised this was the first time I had ever sat with Draco at the Slytherin table. I was taken back to that first night, eight years ago, when I was Sorted into Slytherin. Draco had been horrified to hear that I was Muggle-born. It was that night, from his very own lips that I had first heard that word. Mudblood.

So much had changed.

My eyes drifted over to the Gryffindor table, and I smiled as I spotted Ron and Hermione. Ron only had eyes for her and he kept leaning in for a kiss, only for Hermione to swot him away, as she tried to concentrate on the Sorting.

My eyes moved along the table, and my stomach gave a violent, horrific twist, as they landed on Dennis Creevey, looking utterly empty and forlorn amongst his cheerful peers. An image of Colin's lifeless body flashed before me.

I quickly looked down at my lap, not being able to bear the sad sight any longer. As if sensing my sudden discomfort, Draco gave my hand a gentle squeeze. I looked up at him as he mouthed Are you OK? I nodded, giving him a weary smile. I decided to try and focus on the Sorting instead, too terrified of what other memories would crop up from my wandering eyes.

Eventually, the Sorting was over and we were able to eat at last. I was starving, and so was Draco, as he heartily tucked into a huge pile of potatoes.

"Christ knows what the sleeping arrangements are going to be like this year," Draco sighed as we made our way out of the Hall towards the dungeons.

"Well you can kiss goodbye to that cosy little room of yours," snarled Theo, who had been walking behind us. "Snape's no longer around to play favourites."

Draco growled, whipping around. "Don't you ever quit, Nott?!" He spat.

I grabbed his hand, coaxing him onwards. I really didn't want them to start fighting in the halls.

"He's got a point though," Draco muttered. "I hadn't really thought about it before now, but I've got to leave you with them every night for the next year."

His eyes glowered in Pansy's general direction as she cackled about something amongst the other Slytherin girls.

"I'll be OK, Draco," I assured him. "And there's always the sofa if she gets too much. I've spent many a night on it before, after all."

I glanced at him and a memory of him handing me his blanket swam to my mind. His first ever act of kindness to me.

"Well you'll have me keeping you warm this time," his silver grey eyes twinkled, as if reading my thoughts.

I was suddenly very grateful to have the Slytherin Prince in my life.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro