Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A week later, Joss left for work and took the Spaceport Monorail. He shuttled to the Pioneer and met his crew. The worked for several hours. Just before quitting time, an explosion made the ship shudder.

"What happened?," Sheila Sams asked.

"Don't know," said Neil Tiber, who was captain of the Pioneer. He called ground support.

"The barracks caught on fire and the power units exploded."

"How many dead?" Sheila asked.

"So far, seventy-two."

"Of ours?"

Neil nodded. "Mostly crew for the Odyssey. Some staff.

Everyone was silent.

"I'm calling it a day. Everybody, go home. I'll go to HQ."

Soon the ship was empty but for the night maintenance crew. Joss hurried home and found Gabi watching the news when he arrived.

She turned around and ran to him. "Oh, I was so worried. I got your message you were all right, but so far, seventy-five people dead." They sat holding hands and listened as the reporters spoke about the tragedy.

Joss reported to the Pioneer early the next morning. Neil gathered everyone in the meeting hall. "I have an update. The Odyssey will leave tomorrow. If you're assigned to the Odyssey or moved up to fill the vacancies, go home and check your orders. If you miss her, you'll have no chance of another ship. The Pioneer will require as much overtime as we can work. The Project wants to move departure up as much as possible."

A small portion of the workers left. Joss and those still working spent the day working as quickly as possible.

That night Joss got an email from the Spaceship Project. 'You have received a Navigator's placement on the Pioneer with your wife and child. Please verify acceptance within twenty-four hours or another will be offered the position.'

Joss screamed with joy. "Gaby! Gaby! We made it." He sent the acceptance.

"What," she called from the baby's room. "What did we make?"

"The Pioneer. We're leaving on the second starship."

"Wonderful." She smiled the smile he loved. "My parents will be so happy."

Joss tensed. He couldn't tell her parents would remain on their doomed world.

"Is something the matter?"

"I. I wish your parents could come with us."

"They don't want to. Dad gets space sick and Mom won't leave Ringworld even if he would."

Joss went to see Dr. Clemson at his invitation. They sat in his office. Clemson offered him a cup of hard-to-get coffee. "What is the Government telling people about the food shortages?

"That's is necessary to provision the ships. That kind of stuff. "People are so excited about the ships they'll believe anything."

"A panic would cause our efforts to fail."

"Only a few people can go, out of the seventeen million on Ringworld. No choice."

"We'll be back with the Federation."

Clemson looked at him.

"What?"

"Even if you find the Solons, or the Grolons or anybody who could help us, there won't be time."

"What do you mean?"

Clemson sighed. "I'm only telling you this because you know about the shields. Things have gotten worse. CX-2 bounced off TX-1 and both will collide with the Ring in forty-eight days. The Ring is expected to break and crack and be knocked out of orbit. The Argo will not be ready for departure."

Joss was stunned, trying to absorb this catastrophe. "That's, that's." He closed his eyes, picturing the end. "I don't know what to say."

"No one does. Take care of your family. Get them on the Pioneer. Be careful."

"I suppose people will find out and do anything to get on a ship."

"Someone already is."

Joss stared at Clemson.

"The explosion in the barracks was not an accident. Someone set it."

"But why?"

"Ring Security believes it is someone who missed a slot and is determined to get on a ship. People are gossiping about the world coming to an end, and the spaceships are arks to carry a select few away. True in a way. Security is trying to find out who set the explosion. If they advanced to a ship, there won't be any more accidents. We hope. If they didn't, he—or she, will keep trying."

Joss nodded.

"I am glad I got to know you, Joss. Watch yourself, and take care of your family."

"I will, Doctor. Thank you." He shook his mentor's hand. "You saved my family. I can't thank you enough."

"Fly into the stars. If I were a younger man, I'd go."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro