28 - Hidden identity

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Author's POV

"Do you remember anything happening while you were there?" Neil asks, voice soft.

The girl shook her head as she fidgets with her fingers.

Neil sighs. "DD, have you checked the cameras around there?"

"There aren't any cameras that caught the incident. But the camera at the end of the lane shows a person, face hidden with a mask and yes, a parcel in his hands."

"A parcel?" Neil ponders. "What kind? Did you find any?"

"No, Sir. He left without delivering." DD answers. "But we're checking the paths from where he could have travelled till there."

Neil nods. "Can you tell us your name?" He asks the little girl.

She fiddles with her fingers again, eyes not meeting his, sweat forming on her forehead.

"It's okay...you can tell us." He assures her.

"Viv." She mumbles.

"Viv?" He asks. "Are you sure that's your full name?"

The girl looks at him for a moment and shook her head. "It's longer but..."

"But?"

"But he says...it's Viv only."

"He, who?"

"Someone who knows me."

"Do you not know that someone?"

"I think...I do. But I don't remember."

"Okay, Viv. Thank you for telling us. You see that lady over there." Neil glances at the woman, "She will be taking care of you."

"N-no." Her lips tremble.

"Why? She is good."

"He won't l-like it."

"What is your relationship with him? What does he do?" Neil asks, carefully not trying to hit a nerve.

"He sends me gifts and toys. He feeds me food, a few times. He talks with me, sometimes."

Neil carefully listens to her answer, each word trying to find the person she is talking about. He didn't know the intentions but the girl wasn't that scared while talking about him, but hesitating.

"Don't tell him, I told you." She speaks, "H-he told me I have to wait and he will take me... home."

"Did he tell you...where his home is?"

"Far away, not in India."

Not in India?

"You say you don't remember much. Then how do you remember all these?"

"I forget a lot...so I write and draw."

"Can I see it?"

She shook her head. "Don't hurt him. He is a good guy. Loves me and cares for me. He says he will right all the wrongs."

Neil seems confused by her answers. Not a clue what she was really talking about. He thought to discuss it with someone to find more.

"Okay...but you still need to stay with that lady. She will too, take care of you and you won't get scolded by that person."

"Okay?" Neil asks, but he receives no answer. In an instance, the girl stands up and glances at that lady. She puts her hand forward to shake and her face turns content after the lady smiles at her and they share a handshake.

A few reasonable outcomes formed in his head but he was still puzzled.

A few hours pass by, Neil and other officers discuss other cases. Neil forms certain teams to work on cases, officers that are specifically good at such.

"Sir, these are the items that she received from previous parcels."

Neil checks the pictures a few times, perplexed. "These seem just daily needs. Doesn't make any sense why they are sent with a hidden identity."

"That's the issue, Sir." DD retorts. "I checked the items, companies and all. Everything seems high quality, and to say it, quite rich. The household in which she lives although she doesn't earn much, her kitchen is filled with foods rich in everything, shelves of hundreds of books and whatnot. To say it more clearly, the person she is talking about is damn rich."

Neil hums, swiftly flipping the pen in his hand. "The sender is rich, the girl isn't. Seems a family member."

"If he abandoned her, why would he still be there to help? Seems fishy." DD voices.

"Illegal business to not get caught?" Neil smirks.

"And still provide her a good future?" DD suggests.

"Could be." Neil clicks his tongue.

"Notify me as you get further information." Neil stands up to leave while DD nods.

Neil drives the familiar road and parks his car at the backside parking lot.

He takes the stairs as he reaches his destination. He rings the bell and is greeted with a content smile.

"Neil. Come in." She gleams.

Neil enters with a grin on his face. He sits on the sofa, placing his phone to the side.

"Hm, don't you think it's been a while since you visited?" She teases.

"Will visit more often. I have a lot of pending cases and a few are high profiles."

"Okay. I am busy too. I only get time to rest. So, can't really visit you and your family too." She smiles.

"How are you, really?

She is struck by that question. "Okay. Better than I was. Trying to accept. People don't forget their daughter too easily." Her eyes are glistening as she speaks.

"I miss her. To be honest, I am trying to cope. But there's something I need to tell you." Neil sighs, feeling guilty.

"I am listening."

"I didn't have f-feelings for Aditi." Neil gulps, trying to suppress the pain that forms within his chest.

"W-what? Neil? Do you have any idea what you are saying? Is...this the truth?" She asks in disbelief.

Neil nods, slow.

"I can't believe you. You were just...betraying her feelings."

"Mira aunty, please...I am sorry." Neil hugs her knee, and a tear slips his eye.

"This could've hurt both of you." Mira sighs. "Don't you know, lies lead to destruction?"

"I am s-sorry." Neil cries.

"I can't forgive you for this." She looks away. "If Aditi knew, that would've been different–"

"She knew." Neil mumbles.

"S-she knew? And still, you both were getting married?" Mira gapes at Neil.

"You all...were so happy...we couldn't ruin it. I told Aditi. She agreed to give this all the time before marriage. She thought if it worked, it would all be okay. And I–I was positive too. In our college days, I used to like her a lot but after a year we started to hang out more, my friendship overpowered love and I didn't think about it much. I used to get jealous sometimes while she spent time with her boyfriend. Soon, I was used to it. Then, I pursued to study and focus on my dream so it faded away. I am sorry...I thought I will develop feelings again...if I wait...but it ended...soon b–before I could decide." Neil speaks, voice hoarse. "I am really sorry. I didn't mean to upset you but it was eating me up."

Mira closes her eyes, exhaling deeply. She caresses Neil's forehead, comforting him.

"It's okay...stop crying. It's all in the past. Let bygones be bygones." Mira smiles looking at Neil. "Try to forgive yourself. Soon, you'll be happy."

Neil nods, eyes still teary. "I hope you find someone, you love." The words give a flash of Avni before he thinks to tear them away.

No, this is wrong, Neil.

Neil's phone vibrates a few times but he doesn't notice.

He reaches home and checks the time. It is late. The lights are off. He goes to the dining table and sees his mother waiting.

"Hm, come late more often. Your mom shall not deserve sleep." She pouts.

"I am sorry, Mom. Why did you wait?" Neil asks as he sits on the chair.

"When your wife will care, you'll like it." Shweta narrows her eyes at him.

Wife...marriage?

Again, Neil is flooded with his thoughts of grief.

Why do I feel so afraid?

Neil finishes dinner and kisses goodnight to his mom before he heads to his room. He washes up and plumps himself down on the bed, tired and sleepy.

He picks his phone to set an alarm. While he does, he sees a few messages. He blinks twice to confirm the sender.

No way, I am seeing things!

Miss Avni Raichand

→Are you sure that you like me, Mister?

→Judging from your lack of visits, doesn't seem so.

→Hurry tomorrow morning if you don't have work or don't come back for a month.

Neil checks the contact name again to be sure and a few texts shared above. Seems like he is not seeing things but he is bewildered by the texts.

Avni? Can't be.

As he replies to it and sets the alarm, he dozes off.

When Avni wakes up in the morning, she is greeted by a weird and confusing text by Neil.

And now, she doesn't know if she wants to punch him or kick him in the butt.

|××××××|

A/N:

I have final exams in a week and they will be done after 20 Mar.

In these 2 weeks of study time given, I have thoroughly edited this book and I am sorry to not update sooner.

If I am not stressed, I will leave another update before the start of my finals. If not, you'll have to wait till my exams are over.

Thank you for your patience❣

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro