Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The mount of a deer's head peers down at Kelly, who sits at the dining room table as she presses her cell phone up to her ear. She loses track of what her best friend is rambling on about, her attention drawn to the glossy eyes of the creature as it appears to stare directly at her. When she stepped into the living room a few minutes ago—a feeble attempt to make small talk with Mr. Edward's son—she immediately turned to walk out when the second she noticed all of the "stuffed" animals scattered among the walls like twisted home decor. How she didn't spot them during the mini tour earlier baffles her.

She immediately put the pieces together, figuring that Mr. Edwards is a taxidermist. Either that, or he's just one sick man. If she knew that from the beginning, then she sure as hell wouldn't have applied for this gig. And now, after hunting down the one room in the house that has the least amount of displayed corpses in it, here she is. Staring at the decapitated head of Bambi's mother.

"Kelly?"

She blinks, snapping back to reality and quickly looks around her as if the familiar voice were coming from inside of the room. "Yeah, sorry. This place... it gives me the creeps."

"Dude, I could never do that." Her friend responds, her voice barely audible as she shoves food into her mouth. "I mean, I hate kids as it is. But a taxidermist's house? No way. I would turn vegan."

"Yeah, after stepping into this hellhole I'm considering joining PETA." Kelly says, the two giggling.

She can hear her friend shuffle with the phone on the other end, a man's muffled voice in the background. He makes a lewd remark about her loving meat too much to ever become a vegan. Leave it to Tony to make a sexual innuendo out of just about anything.

Kelly rolls her eyes, half-expecting this to turn into a 1-800 call. She's too broke to be paying per minute. "You busy?"

"Stop." Her friend says playfully, but not to her. The phone brushes against the sheets of her bed before she lifts it back up to continue talking. "No. Well, yeah. Tony just got here."

"Okay, well I'll let ya go." Kelly sighs, really not wanting to get off of the phone. This call alone already killed almost half an hour.

"Have fun in the House of Wax!"

Laughing, Kelly shakes her head. She resists the playful, yet somewhat serious, urge to call her friend a bitch. "Whatever. Tell Tony I said hi."

A faint beep and the call ends, the contact picture of the two drunken girls hugging at a fraternity party disappearing from the screen. Kelly glances at the time on her phone and takes in a heavy sigh, placing it down on the tabletop in front of her. She peers back up at the deer head.

30 minutes down. Just two and a half more hours to go.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro