Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Tw: Violence.

I don't own Star Wars.

Just my original characters and the plot of this story.

Howzer's grip on his helmet was tight, as if it would make up for the lack of control he had in his life.

He kept his expression blank as he stared at the wall. He tried not to listen to the conversation, but it was difficult to ignore.

"I told you, I'm trying!" Cham Syndulla snapped, pinching the bridge of his nose. "The farmers will be taken care of! I just need some time to figure it out!"

The farmer looked to Syndulla with pleading eyes. "Please! We need water for the crops!"

"I'm trying," Syndulla assured her, letting out a heavy sigh. "The drought is difficult to manage. Plenty of people need water."

"How will we have food if the crops dry up?" The farmer demanded. "We will starve!"

"Give me time," Syndulla said. He walked around his desk to place a hand on her shoulder. "Give me time to work on this."

The farmer stiffly nodded her head before exiting, glaring at Howzer. "The Empire could give us water. But they won't."

"The Empire is here to keep the peace, not to intervene." Syndulla pressed the button to open the door. "I'll get back to you soon."

Howzer's fingers flexed against his helmet. 

"Captain." Syndulla crossed his hands behind his back, staring out his office window. "Has the Empire mentioned anything about the water situation?"

Howzer shook his head. "The last I heard, they wanted to make sure you were completely allied with them before they sent resources."

Syndulla hung his head. "That's what I thought." He glanced at Howzer's face, taking in the bags under his eyes. "I'd like you to go to the outskirts of the city. There's been some fights breaking out there over water."

Howzer nodded. "Yes, sir."

Syndulla showed a hint of a smile. "Hera says hello."

"Tell her I say hello as well," Howzer said, perking up. That girl had always been nice to him. Perhaps one of his only 'friends'.

"She'll be glad to hear it." Syndulla drummed his fingers on his desk. "Captain, get some rest. It will do you some good."

"Yes, sir," Howzer agreed, although he knew he wouldn't have the time. Things were too busy, with protests against the Empire, and the drought.

"Stop!" Howzer desperately shouted, holding out his arms. He was immediately shoved aside, and the screaming and fighting continued. "Stop this!"

He was pushed again out of the way, and stumbled out of the crowd. He blinked back tears. Why was his job so difficult? He was supposed to deal with this, but no one would listen to him.

He shook his head before pushing his way to the middle, yelling for them to stop fighting.

The other clones tried as well, and no one wanted to take out their blasters. They were just being thrown around in the group.

Eventually the fighting died down, and a couple injured Twi'leks were taken to get medical treatment. The other clones resume their previous tasks, and Howzer slumped against a wall.

A small child ran up to him, giving him a grin. He flashed a couple a missing teeth. "Hey, mister. I got lost. Can you help me? I heard you help us."

And suddenly everything was worth struggling for.

"Of course." Howzer crouched down to be at eye level. "Where are your guardians?"

"At home. I'm supposed to be at school." The little Twi'lek boy looked around. "We were taking a walk and I got separated when people started fighting and I got lost and she's gonna be so mad at me and-"

"What's your name?" Howzer asked as he stood up to his full height and surveyed the area, looking for a group of children.

"Tine. What's yours?" 

"I'm Howzer." He spotted five little kids together and started walking towards them. "Is that your class?"

"Yeah! It is!" Tine beamed. "Thanks, Howzer!"

"Tine!" A human woman exclaimed, falling to her knees to check Tine for any injuries. "There you are! Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Miss!" Tine chirped. "Howzer helped me!"

The woman looked up, staring into Howzer's visor. "Thank you. His parents would've had my head if I couldn't find him."

"No problem, ma'am." Howzer chuckled. "He found me."

She held out a hand, green eyes sparkling. "My name is Leila. I'm these children's teacher."

"Nice to meet you, ma'am." Howzer shook her hand. His eyes flicked over her pink hair. 

"Come," Leila said to the children, herding them along. "Let's return to the school." She threw one last smile at Howzer over her shoulder. "Thank you again."

Tine waved at Howzer as he shuffled away before promptly tripping. Leila helped him up and looked over his scraped knee, furrowing her brow at the blood beading.

"We'll clean this when we get back, okay?" Leila sighed. "I didn't bring a medkit with me."

"I have one," Howzer instantly said. "You can use it if you want."

Leila smiled softly. "That's okay. Thanks for offering, though. I'm sure you have need for it."

"It doesn't even hurt that much!" Tine boasted proudly. He put his hands on his hips and puffed out his chest.

"We're still going to take care of it," Leila said. She smiled kindly at Howzer. "Goodbye and thank you."

So her and her class wandered off.

"Did you get some rest?" Syndulla asked, handing Howzer a holodisk.

"Yes," Howzer lied. He examined the holodisk curiously. "What's this?"

"This is the data the Empire wanted me to collect," Syndulla bitterly said. He rubbed at his forehead tiredly. "It has the name of everyone suspected of being a rebel."

Howzer tucked the disk away. "Thank you. The Empire appreciates your contributions and recognizes your efforts."

The words fell off his tongue numbly.

They were collecting names of people suspected to be rebels?

There must be a reason.

"I'll give this to my superiors immediately," Howzer told him, patting the pouch at his belt. 

Syndulla didn't notice his words, staring blankly out the window. "Have a good night, Captain."

Howzer recognized the dismissal and left, heading for the Imperial building. He gave the holodisk, said his hellos to a couple of clones he recognized, and went to a market.

People were gathered around a well, lined up for their turn. Howzer faintly remembered the full cantinas in the Imperial centre before shaking the thought out of his head.

"Hello, again."

Howzer turned his gaze to Leila. "Oh, hi, ma'am."

Leila wrinkled her nose. "Just Leila, if you wouldn't mind. Ma'am makes me feel old."

"Alright, Leila." Howzer studied a selection of spices in a stall before reaching out a brushing his fingers along a bracelet. 

"It's a nice colour," Leila commented, making him startle. When he gave her a questioning look, she pointed at the bracelet. "It matches the paint on your armour."

"Oh, right." Howzer retracted his hand. "I guess so."

Leila picked it up and held it up to his face. "I don't know what colour this is, but it looks good with your eyes." She frowned. "It sounds like I'm flirting with you. I'm sorry! It came out weird! My father's a painter! He's always going on about colours and stuff! Don't let my opinion sway you on it!"

Howzer shrugged. "I don't have enough credits for it anyway. Clones don't get paid."

"You don't get paid for everything you do?" Leila clicked her tongue. "I'm buying this for you."

"It's unnecessary. I don't need a bracelet," Howzer protested, trying to grab it back. She evaded him, quickly sidestepping faster than his eyes could track. And he was a trained soldier.

"But you deserve a little treat." Leila handed some credits to the own of the stall before smiling at Howzer smugly. "Here. This is yours now."

"Thank you, ma'am." Howzer slipped the bracelet onto his wrist. It was pretty. He liked it.

"Consider it a gift for helping Tine out." Leila rummaged the bag over her shoulder before frowning and clicking it shut, pasting a strained smile onto her lips. "I should get going."

"Goodbye," Howzer fiddled with the bracelet. "And thank you."

Leila waved before walking away, looking through her satchel again. 

Why did she lose it?

And now, too?

It was the worst time to have lost it.

She frantically searched her home, but to no avail. It was nowhere to be found.

Leila was so screwed.

Her father walked through the door, holding his arms out for a hug. "Leila! I'm here to visit!"

Leila squeezed him tight. "Papa! How've your travels been?" She took his bags and put them in the bedroom before returning.

"Great. I lost my thumb in a mugging." He showed off his hand.

"Papa!" Leila exclaimed, trying to grab his hand.

Then he revealed he had been hiding his thumb behind the palm of his hand. "Did you let your old man fool you?"

"I guess I did!" Leila laughed, hugging her father again. "How long are you staying?"

"Only a night," her father told her. "I have a showing tomorrow I need to get to so I'll be catching a transport in the morning."

"I forget you're a successful artist sometimes." Leila arranged the blankets on the couch she'd be sleeping on. "And sorry I can't stay up late tonight. It was exhausting at work."

Her father hummed. "Where's your husband? I was looking forward to finally meeting him."

Leila hid her hand behind her back. "He's away on a business trip."

"Can I see the wedding ring again?" Leila's father asked. "That thing is beautiful."

Leila cringed. "I lost it. But I'll find it again!"

"I'm sure you will. You always end up finding things," he said fondly.

Right.

She always ended up finding things.

She turned her back so he wouldn't see her hide her smile. "I'm sure it'll turn up."

"What did you say your husband did for work again?" Her father lowered himself onto a chair.

"He does business," Leila breezily responded. "The usual."

"What kind of business? I don't know a lot about him."

Leila's smile remained just as bright. "I really don't remember. We try not to talk about work a lot."

"I'm worried about you," her father said. "He seems like he's not treating you right. He's never around, doesn't tell you things, and I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that ring was ugly."

Leila sat next to him, placing a hand in his shoulder. "Papa, I love him. We're very happy. I'll try to get him to meet you soon, but I think he's just a bit intimidated."

"When are you going to give me grandchildren?"

Leila blinked in surprise. "We... haven't really talked about that. I don't think soon, because he's away too often to be around for the baby."

"Right." Her father yawned. "I think I'm going to tuck in. See you tomorrow before I leave."

"Goodnight, papa," Leila said, bringing the blankets up over her legs. 

Leila stared at her bare finger, running her other hand's thumb over where the ring usually sat. She did prefer to have the ring gone, but it made her father happy to see her wear it. She'd always take it off when he left.

It's not like her imaginary husband would mind.

The plot thickens...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro