14. busy bees and perfect kids

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

TW: MENTIONS OF DIFFICULT BIRTHS

IT HAD BEEN ten years since the events of Rhaenyra and Laenor's wedding feast — a lot had happened that night after Daemon Targaryen had finally confessed his love for Roseva Baratheon. People had died, new alliances were formed and betrayals were made.

Roseva had no part in any of it. She had been through enough.

Rhaenyra and Alicent's relationship had obliterated in thin air as though they were never once friends but one thing they did agree on was to keep their mother—figure out of their mess.

And so they did.

Roseva married Daemon shortly after they left Kings Landing and took Robert with them — the Targaryen took the young boy and raised him as his own just as he had promised his wife that night before he swept her.

In the short ten years, Roseva had birthed another son, Daeron Targaryen, the splitting image of his father. The birth had been quick and easy and Daemon was with her the whole time cussing at anyone who brought his wife discomfort.

Shortly after that, she then birthed the twins — rhaegar first then Rhaena five short minutes after. Roseva had been ecstatic that there was a girl that she could dress up and be with her when the boys got on her nerves.

However, this birth was a lot harder than her first two and the maester had offered words to try a new method but Roseva was against it immediately even though the man was asking her husband.

It was ridiculous, asking Daemon what to do with her body. She was horrified, sprawled open—legged on her shared chamber bed that was slowly turning red from the blood.

Her husband had immediately noticed her scared complexion and advised against it and returned to her side and helped her through the rest of her birth — he knew that as soon as the maester had mentioned the approach she had thought of Aemma.

The rest of the birth was agonising and Robert held his little brother in his arms in a different room and rocked him gently as they heard their mothers screams echo through the halls but the boy had faith that his mother would live so he took care of Daeron so he wouldn't worry.

Now some time later, Roseva found herself with another child in her belly — her last child, as she had told her husband who had merely given her a "we'll see about that look".

Daemon had been living in complete contempt, he had moved his family to Pentos in the last coming years but before that he had taken Roseva and Robert to visit the free cities. When the children started arriving, he knew that he needed somewhere safe to raise his children and be a real husband to Roseva.

Rhaenyra had written of the conspiracies that had been happening within the Red Keep and advised they stayed away due to Roseva having been married to Otto previously.

Roseva had been saddened that her two girls were no longer friends and Daemon did all he could to comfort her.

This swayed Daemon's decision on Pentos — it was away enough from Kings Landing, away from successions, political feuds, and alliances, away from everyone.

"Lamb hearts are excellent", His Excellence spoke. Roseva took a bite of her food and smiled appreciatively before giving a cold hard stare to her two eldest sons — Robert and Daeron — who were snickering under their breaths and trading secrets.

The boys stopped and tensed up in their seat and smiled innocently as they were both rather scared of their mother when she was angry.

"We are fortunate in our cook, Your Excellence", the woman spoke then to the man, rubbing her swollen belly. "There's a plum—cake yet to be served, which no doubt will have my children fighting over the crumbs", she then gave her children a pointed look but smiled nonetheless.

His excellence laughed lightly and the children joined, "Then before we come to blows . . .", he tapped the table before holding his cup, "A toast to Aegon the Conqueror, your exalted forebear who joined our cause against Volantis in the Century of Blood. On the great dragon Balerion he flew to our aid in Lys and burned a fleet of enemy ships, thus turning the tide".

Daemon stood when the toast was finished, making everyone turn to him, "Aegon the Conqueror".

Everyone else held their cups and toasted themselves to the Conqueror.

"This brings me to some business", Roseva looked at Daemon who held her hand that was closest to him, her other hand rubbed her belly soothingly in hope her unborn child was stop kicking her, "A proposal I wish to make in the spirit of honouring our storied alliance".

Roseva looked up immediately in understanding, "If your aim is to marry my only daughter, Your Excellence, you might have said so and spared us the history lesson", her jest was light hearted but her tone was not.

Daemon squeezed her hand reassuringly knowing that Roseva would never arrange such a marriage for her daughter, she was a child and he a grown man.

"What", Rhaena chocked on her drink, Rhaegar shifted in his seat uncomfortably — himself not liking the idea of losing his twin to some old man.

"I would not count myself so deserving, my Lady Roseva", he chuckled lightly but Roseva's stare remained, "I wish to offer you a permanent residence here in Pentos. This manse I would gift to you, outright, a long with it's farm and lands, the vineyard and the wood. The tenants would pay their tributes annually to their new Targaryen lord. You would have your freedom of the city and the harbour, as befits your royal station".

Roseva looked to her husband but he merely said, "Continue", his wife looked to her son Robert who was clenching his fork tightly in his hand while staring at the man offering his proposal. In different circumstances she would have smiled at his want to protect his sister but she was too disheartened thinking her husband would willingly sell of their only daughter for some land and a title.

But Daemon wasn't sure if he was considering it. He had his reasons to but at the same time he didn't.

"Lys and it's allies rise again. The Triarchy has made common cause with Queen Martell of Dorne. At any moment, they may turn their sights North. Your family has dragons. Three now . . .", he looked at Roseva's belly making her shift so he could no longer see it. "Mayhaps four in the future".

Four? Roseva thought in absurdity.

"My aim is to protect Pentos from the lustful eye of the Triarchy. Aid Pentos in this, as Aegon once did . . . and my gratitude will fill your cup and overflow it".

Roseva gripped Daemon's hand and turned to the man, "Your excellence, we are no more than travelers. We have already extended our visit here".

The man stared at her coldly, normally it would have made her shiver but she was married to Otto for four years, this meant nothing to her anymore.

"It's a most generous offer and one we will certainly entertain", Roseva turned to him, her hand fell from his and she stood, looking at her husband in nothing but betrayal.

She walked out of the room swiftly leaving a cold air behind her. Her children watched her leave with their own cold stare aimed at their father. Often when Daemon and Roseva fought on matters the children would always take her side, this was no different.

Robert was the first to stand and slammed his fork down to make a point before walking off after his mother. The twins were next, holding hands to comfort each other. Last was Daeron who chewed on the last bit of his meal before standing and facing his father.

"Well done", though his words were extremely sarcastic making Daemon roll his eyes, screaming to the Gods asking why they gave him a mini him. "Cunt", he heard from his son when he walked past him.

Leaving Daemon to think about what just happened.

Night had fallen deeper, Roseva kissed her sons' foreheads before tucking them into bed before doing the same to Rhaena. Robert was still out but she knew where he was.

"Mother?", she heard and turned to see her daughter. Her white hair turning orange in the fireplace light.

Roseva walked back over to her with a smile, "Yes, my dove?".

"Is father really going to wed me to someone", Roseva felt her heart drop — not just at her words but the look on her face when she said it. She was scared.

Just like she had been.

"I will speak with your father, don't worry about a thing", she kissed her head again with such love making Rhaena smile and hold her mother close to her.

It was seen thoroughly to the people who had seen Roseva around Pentos that she held so much love and care for each of her children. It was a pure sight.

The woman closed the chamber door behind her and pushed open her own, Daemon was no where in sight making her sigh. She walked up the steps of the palace but stopped when she heard voices.

Daemon was teaching Robert high Valyrian.

Roseva then walked up the rest of the steps, the two males in the room looked up at her — Robert smile and Daemon looked dejected.

Robert's smile dropped at the look on his mothers face and stood from his seat. He whispered a quick good—night to his father figure who wished him one in return with a kiss on the head.

The boy then turned and walked but stopped before his mother and kissed her cheek then made his way to where the rest of his siblings were now sleeping.

"You are considering Prince Reggio's offer", she spoke calmly once her sons footsteps fainted into the background.

Daemon began packing his things away, "Rose, we have a good life here. We are finally free to do as we please, welcomed and feted".

"And eternally guests".

"Precisely. We are without responsibility. The political scheming. The endless shifting of loyalties and successions is none of ours".

"Daemon, they are simply using us", Roseva walked toward him in fury. She had hoped he would see her point but he was blinded by what the Prince was giving him in return.

"It's refreshing, isn't it? A simple transaction. We have dragons, they have gold", he faced her then stalked over to sit down.

Roseva turned again to face him, "Our daughter is not a transaction. And I will not have you arrange her in some marriage she does not want. We are more than this, Daemon. As her parents we are more than this. We are not minstrels or mummers who play at the pleasure of an alien Prince. You are the blood of Old Valyria and that blood runs through our children. We don't belong here".

Daemon opened his book, "Valyria is gone. We don't belong anywhere", he looked up at her and sighed at the frustrated tears that were forming in her eyes. He turned in his seat and cupped her stomached with his hands and stroked it.

Roseva pushed his hands away and held them in her own, "I want my child to be born wherever our family is, I want us to be safe. I want my children to be raised knowing they will be safe. You say you want nothing to do with successions and political matters but this is exactly what it is. The prince merely sees our daughter as a prize to be won, she is so much more than that. And if you can't see that and you go through with this . . .", she stepped away from him and looked at him sadly as his hands dropped to his lap. "I will never forgive you".

"I want to go home, Daemon. Where my cousin is, where Rhaenyra and Alicent are, they are much daughters as Rhaena is and they are being swallowed whole by the men in their lives. I want my children to know their family, they have no friends here", Roseva spoke, "I want us to be happy".

She looked at him one last time before picking up her dress and walking off. Daemon watched her leave with a sigh and pinched his nose in thought — not knowing that soon they'd be going home when a tragic death comes flowing through.

* I know this is a bit angsty but I promise you this is their happy era I just have to get to it *

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro