8. sacrifices for consequences

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER EIGHT

RHAENYRA had heard the news first. Otto Hightower and Roseva Baratheon were to be wed in a moons time. To say she was disgusted, shocked and angry would've been an understatement.

But the one person who felt all those emotions but heightened was Alicent. Her father hadn't even bothered telling her, simply letting it be announced in the council meeting by Viserys, telling the man on behalf of Roseva who had been confined to her chambers, only allowing Rhaenyra and Viserys inside.

Roseva felt disgusted of herself, she couldn't believe she was stupid enough to fall for Daemon Targaryen and get caught doing it. Otto was a master manipulated, she knew that already but using this to get what he wanted only seemed to add salt to the pre-existing wound.

The woman laid awake in her bed, staring at the designs on her ceiling, Roseva tried not to cry because she didn't want to be weak anymore. She would marry Otto, give him a son and never see or touch him again.

Rhaenyra opened the chamber door tentatively, bare feet tapping on the marble floor to get to the bed. Roseva shifted over the side of the bed to make room as the princess opened the covers and got in. "Otto is a cunt".

A laugh echoed in the room, it had been the first time Roseva had laughed or even smiled since agreeing to the marriage and of course Rhaenyra had been the one to bring it out of her. She loved that girl deeply and she was glad that despite the circumstances, the husband that was chosen for her allowed her to stay in Kings Landing with the princess.

"That he is", she sighed as the smile fell from her lips as quick as it came. "I miss Daemon". Rhaenyra shifted and looked at the woman, a tear falling down her face and onto the pillow. She knew the truth was hard for Roseva to utter, she often kept how she felt to herself unless she was truly upset or angry — it made Rhaenyra feel sorry for her.

The princess didn't understand the idea of love, she didn't want to be wed or bare children for her husband. She wanted to be free and now she was watching the one person who was free become trapped like a bird in a cage — as selfish as it sounded it made Rhaenyra realise that not everyone gets what they want, not even princesses.

"I wrote him a letter", Rhaenyra admitted with a shy glance, "I doubt he will even receive it in the middle of a war but I tried. I pleaded with him to save you, to marry you so you can be happy", Roseva looked down at the girl with soft eyes, "I want you to be happy, Rose".

"I want to be happy too. And I want you to be happy", the girls smiled at each other before sighing and interlocking their hands. "Thank you".

Rhaenyra looked at her confused, "For what?".

"The letter", Roseva clarified, "Like you said, he might not even receive it but I can handle this, Rhaenyra. I can because this is my mess".

"You should not have to deal with it on your own", Rhaenyra sat up and watched the woman with pity, "You love Daemon, everyone in the Keep can see it, Otto most definitely saw it. 'Tis not fair that he has done this to you for his own selfish desires".

Roseva grimaced, "Do not say desires, he's like fifty", a smile wedged on her face again when Rhaenyra laughed and fell back onto the bed, long silver hair fleeing in every direction from the impact of the pillow.

"In a way it reminds me of Alicent", Rhaenyra whispered like she didn't want to admit something.

"In what way?".

"Perhaps Alicent was also forced into wedding Father, but I still cannot find it in myself to forgive her because she kept it from me".

Roseva pulled the girl to her chest, "We still have each other, maybe one day you will become friends again and Daemon will come home for me".

Rhaenyra closed her eyes and smiled at the thought, "I'll pray to the Gods every night for that dream to come true".

Roseva woke up alone, eyes peeling open to the sun shining against her face. Her hair was a wavy mess as she attempted to pat it down with her hand. Her hand reached down to rest on the rose necklace that Daemon had gifted her and she wondered if he still kept his rose that was connected.

She had felt sick for many days since accepting the proposal, she had wrote letters to her cousin, Steffon but she had not received a reply for a while which clouded thoughts in her mind that he had abandoned her.

A guard knocked on her chamber door once she was dressed, "Come in", she spoke and the door opened, she turned to see Ser Criston — her eyes rolled unnoticeable as she waited for him to speak.

"A guest has arrived for you, my Lady, in the gardens", her eyebrows furrowed before she manoeuvred passed him and down the hall toward the gardens. A young man stood looking down at her roses, the back of his head was short brown hair and his clothes were neat as a sword laid on his side.

The man turned at fast footsteps approaching him to see the woman he had been searching for. Roseva stopped in her tracks as her face fell into an unbelievable smile, "Steffon?", a gasp left her lips.

Steffon broadly smiled at her, the stubbled beard moved with it as he prepared himself to catch her when she ran forward into his arms. "Hello, my favourite cousin", he then heard her laugh before letting him go and cupping his face.

"Look at you, you're so big now", Steffon swatted her hands with a pout but managed to smile nonetheless.

"I received your letters, cousin. I apologise for the lack of response, I've been on the road since you told me of your betrothal", Roseva looked behind her to see they were not alone, she grabbed his arm and took him further into the gardens so their words couldn't be heard.

Though, Rhaenyra sat by the tree, book in hand which made Roseva raise an eyebrow, "You're reading or are my eyes deceiving me?", the woman asked as Steffon followed behind her.

The Princess looked up with an eye roll but smiled before she looked at the gorgeous man behind her, "Roseva, who is this?". Steffon could tell she was the Princess by her silver hair and tint of purple in her fiery eyes.

"My Princess", he bowed his head respectfully, "I am Steffon Baratheon", he glanced at her before looking away sheepishly.

"Baratheon?", Rhaenyra furrowed her before it clicked, "Oh Gods, you're Roseva's cousin that she has been writing to", the Princess stood and dusted her gown down, holding the now closed book in her hands.

"I am indeed. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, my cousin only speaks highly of you", he smiled at her and Rhaenyra seemed to blush through her pale like skin.

Roseva looked between the two with a deadpanned face. Unbelievable. "Steffon, we must speak", she cleared her throat and the two looked away from each other to look at the woman who was now holding an amused expression. Rhaenyra rolled her eyes knowing what Roseva was thinking before looking at Steffon one more time and drifted passed them into the Keep.

"King Viserys sent for me", Roseva looked her cousin in shock, "He told me of what had happened between you and the Hand as well as the Prince Daemon", his eyes fell to her when she looked away which sent a frown onto his lips, "What happened, Roseva. You can talk to me".

Roseva smiled as a tear left her eye, Steffon grabbed her hands and squeezed them in encouragement, "Oh, Steffon, I have been so utterly stupid. Me and Daemon—", she stopped as shame fell through her. Of course she was ashamed at what she had done but she loved Daemon and always had done, what was she to know? "—We were lovers for a night before he left for the war".

Surprise crossed Steffon's face, his mouth opening but no words came out, "Otto found out and threatened to out me to court, to my father if I didn't wed him and give him a son".

Anger consumed the Baratheon as he looked at his cousin who was in tears, he pulled her to his chest and stroked her head, "I'm staying, for as long as you need. I will speak to King Viserys about being your guard, I will do anything you ask, I am in your favour, Cousin".

Roseva sadly smiled at him, "You do not have to do that for me, you have your own life. You cannot throw away marriage and children just so you can protect me".

"Yes I can", he said, determination rested in his eyes, "I can and I will because you're my family, and I will protect you for as long as you may need it, for as long as you will have me".

Roseva tackled him into a hug, she felt guilty that her young cousin of eighteen name days was offering his entire life to protecting her not from just typical danger but from her own soon to be husband. But family was everything and she would make sure that Steffon was respected and cared for under her protection.

The Baratheon's protected each other through their entire lives, Roseva took care of him as a babe and in return he fought anyone who dared hurt her until she was shipped away to the Keep. But even then, he wrote her letters as soon as he was able to write, and she returned them. Steffon Baratheon protected Roseva more than anyone else in the family did, she wasn't a woman to him, she was his cousin and she needed him. So he was there.

"Is the Princess looking for suitors?", Steffon asked as they ventured through the Garden. Roseva rolled her eyes with a smile, shoving him to the side, "What? I am only asking".

"Your intentions have been made perfectly clear but if you're my guard there is no way you could marry her, Steffon", the man looked down and nodded in acceptance, it was a sacrifice he'd have to make. But Roseva noticed the distant look on his face and wrapped her arm through his as she guided him along to show him the Keep.

She had a feeling that perhaps Steffon being here would make things better, but oh how wrong she could have been.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro