3 - Dumbledore's Favourite

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I found myself in a shared dormitory.

At first I thought there must have been some kind of mistake and immediately wrote to my father.

But he wrote back saying that Dumbledore refused to let me have privileges and that no amount of bribery in the world would sway him to give me my own room.

I wondered what I had done in a past life to deserve such punishment.

"Cheer up, Dray," Pansy soothed as she threw an arm around my shoulders. "Think of it as one big long girly sleepover."

"Millicent snores!" I spluttered. "And don't get me started on Tracey's bedtime routine - who sings themselves to sleep?!"

I realised, with deep dismay, it was something I had to get used to until I learned a spell to shut them all up.

"Did you see his face, the great lump?"

I glowed with pride as the other Slytherins fell about laughing.

"Shut up, Malfoy," one of the Patil sisters snapped.

"Ooh, sticking up for Longbottom?" Pansy cackled. "Never thought you'd like fat little crybabies, Parvati."

"Good one, Pans," I chortled, nudging my elbow into her arm.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the Remembrall glittering in the grass. Thinking quickly, I darted forward and snatched it up, holding it up for all to see.

"Give that here, Malfoy," Harry said quietly.

I smiled nastily at him.

"No. I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find."

I mounted my broom and kicked off, excitement swirling in my stomach at finally having the opportunity to show off.

Flying to the topmost branches of an oak tree, I turned around and smirked down at my audience.

"Come and get it, Potter!" I shouted, tossing the ball into the air.

I really didn't think he'd rise to the bait, but it seemed that Harry Potter couldn't resist a challenge, and up he soared after me.

Damn it. He was good.

"Give it here," he shouted aggressively, hovering right in front of me, "or I'll knock you off your broom!"

Below, Ron Weasley let out an admiring whoop as the girls gasped and screamed.

"Oh yeah?" I sneered, but I couldn't help but feel a flicker of fear, wondering if he actually meant it.

"No Crabbe and Goyle up here to save your neck, Malfoy." Harry said in a quiet, dangerous voice, his eyes flashing menacingly.

I glanced back down to the ground where Crabbe and Goyle were both looking panic stricken. I chewed my lip, realising I was screwed without them.

"Catch it if you can, then!" I shouted, and threw the glass ball high into the air before streaking back towards the ground.

I positioned myself safely back between Crabbe and Goyle, only for the Gryffindors to start cheering and screaming. I looked up, wondering what had gotten them all over excited this time.

Potter. I glared. He had caught the ball and was showing off by doing somersaults in the air.

"HARRY POTTER!"

Oh boy, finally. Professor McGonagall was running angrily across the pitch and I had never felt so happy to see such a pissed off looking teacher before.

Crabbe, Goyle and I exchanged triumphant looks.

Looks like it was bye bye Harry Potter.

"HE IS WHAT?!"

"The new Gryffindor Seeker." Blaise repeated as he poured gravy over my bangers and mash. "Apparently McGonagall was so impressed by what she saw, she asked for special permission from Dumbledore to get Potter on the team. Rumour has it, she's even thrown in a brand new top of the range broomstick for good measure. Juice?"

"HE WAS BREAKING THE RULES! HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN EXPELLED - NOT REWARDED!"

I was incensed with rage.

This school was making me so mad. I kept writing to Father but he seemed uninterested in my complaints. I felt abandoned.

"Chill," Blaise chuckled as I glared furiously at that smug bastard being clapped on the back by his fellow Gryffindors. "Potter isn't that bad."

"Isn't that bad?" I spluttered. "He's insufferable!"

Did no one else see it? Was I the only one? Harry was out to destroy me from that very first meeting when he looked at me as though he thought he was too good for me. Well... I'd show him.

My opportunity soon came when he as good as challenged me to a wizards duel.

"Are we really going to do it?" Crabbe asked stupidly as we walked away.

"No, you dimwit," I said, lifting an eyebrow. "We'll get into trouble."

"But-" Crabbe spluttered, looking confused, "-but you just said-"

"I know," I smirked cockily, "and by this time tomorrow he'll be riding that train back to London, far, far away from us."

And yet somehow he still managed to evade that.

A troll broke into the castle and instead of listening to the teachers and following the rules which are set in place for our own safety, Harry snuck off to pick a fight with it in the girls' toilets.

As a punishment, he got rewarded five house points.

Showing off as ever, Harry caught the Snitch in his mouth, beating Slytherin at the first Quidditch match.

At the following Gryffindor game, I made sure to sit myself behind Harry's little fan club so I could make myself feel better by taunting them.

"You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?" I said loudly, grinning broadly at a sniggering Crabbe and Goyle. "It's people they feel sorry for. See, there's Potter, who's got no parents, then there's the Weasleys, who've got no money - you should be on the team, Longbottom, you've got no brains."

To my great amusement, the back of Neville's neck turned pink.

"I'm worth twelve of you, Malfoy," he stammered, slowly turning around.

Oh, how me and the boys howled with laughter. Ron remained watching the game but said loudly, "You tell her, Neville."

But I wasn't finished yet, and I was enjoying making Crabbe and Goyle laugh.

"Longbottom, if brains were gold you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that's saying something."

Ron wheeled sharply around, glaring at me. "I'm warning you, Malfoy - one more word -"

"Ron!" Hermione gasped suddenly. "Harry-!"

"What? Where?"

We all looked down to see that Harry had gone into a spectacular dive, streaking towards the ground like a bullet.

"You're in luck, Weasley," I spat, spitefulness getting the better of me. "Potter's obviously spotted some money on the ground!"

That was the moment when Hermione Granger swung round and punched me.

"You shouldn't have provoked them," Blaise sighed as he helped me clean up my bloodied face. "Why do you do it?"

I shrugged. "It's Potter, isn't it? He just has this way of winding me up."

Blaise raised his eyebrows as he pulled out some more cotton balls from the bag. "He wasn't even there."

"Yes he was!" I pouted. "He's always there... rubbing everything in my face."

"Girl, please don't tell me this is all about the time he left you hanging?" Blaise drawled, "You've got to let it go. No offence, but you were always going to be the last person he would want to be friends with."

"He hangs around with a blood traitor and a Mudblood!"

"Exactly. Let it go, Dray. Your father will just have to suck it up."

I sulked for the rest of the evening, sitting on the common room sofa with a scowl on my face and two cotton balls stuffed up my nose.

I considered writing to my father, but deduced that he would not be impressed that I allowed a Mudblood to beat me up.

When I asked Crabbe and Goyle why they hadn't protected me, they both mumbled something about not fighting girls.

When I discovered that the golden trio were helping that big old oaf of a gamekeeper to harbour a completely illegal and dangerous dragon within the school grounds, I did what any law abiding citizen would do and reported it.

Somehow, this only landed me in a midnight detention with the dipshits themselves.

"This is servants stuff!" I said, horrified when Hagrid ordered us into the Forbidden Forest to find a dead unicorn. "You wait till my father hears about this!"

"An' he'll tell yer that's how it is at Hogwarts," Hagrid growled fiercely. "Yeh've done wrong an' now yeh've got ter pay fer it."

Hark who's talking! Another one of Dumbledore's favourites who in his eyes could do no wrong.

"If I didn't know better, Malfoy," Harry smirked quietly in my ear, "I'd say you were scared."

"Scared, Potter?" I scoffed before jumping at the sound of an owl hooting in the distance.

Harry chuckled to himself and I glared at him, making sure to keep Hagrid's monstrous dog close to my side.

It all got too much when we came across an actual monster. I ran screaming all the way back to the castle and did not stop until I was under the safety of my bed.

"Are you alright?" Pansy asked, sleepily sitting up in her own bed as she looked dazedly around.

But I didn't answer because I was in the middle of furiously scribbling a strongly worded letter to my father.

We won! We won!

I don't think I had ever felt so much joy in my life. I was glowing with pride as I looked up at the green Slytherin flags hanging in the Great Hall.

At last, something for my father to be proud about.

But then... what's this? Harry Potter killed a teacher? Surely now Dumbledore will see how unfit he is to be at this school and take the necessary steps to-

"One thousand points to Gryffindor!"

Oh for fuck's sake.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro