Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

the most beautiful part is, i wasn't even looking when i found you

Neve watched out of the passenger seat window as students began to fill the building. She hadn't ever attended a school this big - not until now, at least. The students varied of all kinds, which was very different than the secluded private school she'd gotten used to over the last year and a half.

The rules didn't bother Neve all that much, as she was used to being under strict watch at home. Constantly being under her aunt's watch, the woman checking on her every fifteen minutes as if she'd magically disappear - it was exhausting. She almost felt she had more freedom at the private school than at her own home, which should never be the case.

"I still don't think this is a very good idea," Neve's aunt Christine spoke from the driver's seat. "There's no security unless you count the two police officers, which is pointless with how big of a school it is. Maybe I should-"

"Chris, no." Neve quickly cut the other girl off. "Detective Forbes said we've been under the radar enough, not to mention they basically killed us. For all we know he thinks we're dead."

Chris sighed, looking ahead of her before back at the girl next to her. "I just don't think until he's caught it's safe to come out of hiding."

"No offense, Aunt Christine, but the only one that's really been in hiding is me." Neve couldn't help but say as she grabbed the car door handle. "You're still living your life as the same Chris you were, you didn't change anything about yourself but your last name."

Neve pulled herself out of the car, throwing her backpack on her back. Just as she was about to shut the door, her aunt stopped her.

"Don't forget the rules," Chris said, sending her a serious look.

"Yeah, got it," Neve muttered, finally shutting the door.

She ignored the annoyed look from her aunt as she turned and made her way across the crosswalk. People walked all around her, chattering amongst themselves as they got ready for the school day. It was a new school year, and she hoped that despite being new, it wasn't as noticeable since it was a new year.

Surely, there'd be multiple new students, so the attention wouldn't be on her the way everyone always made it seem in the movies.

She walked slowly toward the entrance of the school. Thankfully, she remembered most of where she needed to go because of the tour she'd gotten when she first enrolled, although it was a little harder since the school was a lot fuller now than it was then.

Finding her way to her first class should be pretty easy, as it resides on the top level. The school - Halloway High - had a huge yet simple layout. It was two stories high and the length of what looked like a college campus.

It was just like you'd see in the movies - a centerpiece in the front entrance of the school displaying an important statue along with information about the founder of the school - Demitri Halloway.

Neve stopped, taking in the small information on the copper plaque. It basically stated that Demitri had founded the school, using all the resources and help he could to get it to what it is today. It's been inherited in his family for generations, Principal after Principal being related to the man who founded it.

"Pretty boring information, isn't it?" An unfamiliar voice questioned, catching Neve's attention.

She glanced over at the sudden sound, not expecting anyone to be next to her. But there stood a boy - much taller than her - wearing dark clothing. He had on a dark jacket to match, his hair just as dark as the rest. The only 'light' thing about him was his eyes, which looked to be a beautiful hazel color from what she could see - considering he squinted at the statue in front of them.

"I wouldn't say boring," Neve finally responded, looking back to the copper in front of her. "Just... bland."

"So boring," The boy smirked at her, causing her to roll her eyes at him. "You're new."

"Is it that obvious?" Neve questioned, holding the strap to her backpack tighter.

"I mean, most students that attend or have already attended Halloway High know about its history due to the teachers basically drilling it into our brains. They pass the statue by as if it's just not there." He explained, motioning to the statue in front of where they stood. "Unless you have been going to Halloway and are just as much in the shadows as me, if not more. Although that wouldn't explain why you were reading up on the plaque, would it?"

"I guess you're right," Neve told the boy, keeping her responses short and simple.

Her aunt's very strict rules continued to flow through her mind, reminding her it wasn't wise to make friends and get close to people. She hadn't even walked through the doors of Halloway High yet and was already talking to someone, meaning befriending people should be pretty simple. Which sucks, as befriending people was something Aunt Christine was very reluctant on.

Although, very hypocritical if you ask Neve, considering Christine - being the joyful and likable human she is - was able to make friends at the drop of a hat. She didn't let what was happening to them affect her friendships, so why should it matter if Neve did as well?

Not to mention Detective Forbes even said being friends with people should be okay, it's just the adults we need to be wary of. So Neve could understand not being allowed to stay the night at people's houses - she got that to an extent - but not being friends with people at all? Very Rapunzel-like, if you were to ask her.

"Hey-" Neve began to say but looked to see the unknown boy was beginning to walk away. "Wait!" She called out, beginning to rush after him.

She weaved her way through the sea of students to follow the boy whose name she yet knew, although he was much quicker due to his long legs.

Just as he was within arm's length of her, the feeling of something hard hit her right side, sending her flying to the side. She lost her balance and began to fly sideways toward the ground, but before she could hit the floor someone wrapped their arms around her waist, moving her up quickly.

Neve looked to see a boy - a different one than the first - preventing her from falling. He looked at her with a small smile, the close proximity making causing her chest to tighten with nerves.

"Um, you can let me go now," She muttered, her cheeks flushing.

"R-right, sorry." The boy apologized, letting go of her quickly. He took a step back but didn't move, his focus seeming to be on her. "S-sorry about that, my friends and I tend to not watch where we're going."

"I see that," Neve responded. "But then again I guess I wasn't watching either."

He smiled bigger, but before he could muster up a response someone grabbed onto his arm. "Come on, Zach, we gotta get to class!"

The boy - Zach - looked over, nodding at his friend. "Right. I'm on my way, Enzo."

Neve, taking this as her queue to leave, didn't bother waiting to say any goodbyes. She didn't feel the need to, and so before he could look back in her direction she was off.

Forgetting about the unknown boy who'd first talked to her, she focused on finding her first class. She found it with ease, smiling in victory as not only had she somehow memorized how to get there, but also got there before most of the students who would be attending.

Looking at the whiteboard, she saw the words 'SEAT YOURSELVES' written in black Expo marker. She smiled as this meant she could hide away in the shadows, out of sight from the rest of the class. It took her no time to sit in the far back corner, the side opposite from the window.

She knew if she sat by the window she'd get little to no work done, her focus on the beautiful sky outside instead of class. This would only make Christine angry that she wasn't focusing on her studies, so the best she could do to keep herself from getting distracted - the better.

People filled the class, thankfully with nobody paying any mind to Neve. She liked it that way - it gave her better preparation to get used to what would be her last year of school.

Out of sight, out of mind, as Christine would say. 

Just as the thought entered her mind, all hopes of that happening were diminished as someone sat directly next to her. Despite there being other seats, the blonde continued to take the only spot next to her.

"You look friendly!" The girl exclaimed, "My name's Cloe, like the Bratz doll. What's yours?"

++

Hope you liked the first chapter, can't wait to get everyone introduced so the story can truly begin <3

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro