Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

i think about you constantly

Zach watched Enzo throw the basketball, shouting in victory when he made the basket. The boy jumped up and down as if he'd been attempting to do it all day despite the fact that he made the shot just about every time he threw it.

He tapped his foot impatiently on the ground, stealing glances at the pile of stuff where his phone sat. It looked just as it did when he looked at it only a minute ago - a black screen with no notifications.

"You good, bro?" Enzo asked. He watched with his hands on his hips as Zach glanced from the phone to him, before back at the phone again.

"Yeah, yeah. Just give me a second." Zach pulled himself away from the court. He made his way toward his belongings, causing Enzo to roll his eyes.

"You keep saying that," The boy whined, dropping his hands to his sides. "You've checked your phone every five minutes."

"Actually, it's been every minute and a half - at most." Owen Blossom cut in from the bleachers. "That's only counting the times you were in the middle of a game, and being generous really."

Enzo raised his eyebrows and pursed his lips, the dimples in his cheeks growing deeper at the gesture. He held his hands up in a defensive move, one that said 'See?' loud and clear as he glanced between Zach and Owen.

Zach rolled his eyes this time, grabbing his phone from the gym bag. He eagerly tapped the screen to see if there were any new notifications, although he quickly grew disappointed as he saw nothing new from the last time he checked.

"Are you actually shocked there's nothing there?" Enzo asked, bouncing the basketball between his hands a few times. "I mean, I don't know what you're waiting on but surely it's not going to be any different than it was thirty seconds ago."

Zach sighed, looking at the screen one last time before throwing his phone back down on his bag. "It's nothing."

"Surely it's something," Enzo glanced back at Owen. The other boy - who had been deep into his homework - had completely forgotten about his previous task, his full attention on the other two boys in the gymnasium.

"Is it Dina?" Enzo then questioned, tossing the basketball to Zach.

Zach cringed, "What? No." He threw the ball back, shaking his head.

"Well I don't know what other girl you'd be interested in that much." Enzo shrugged, "Unless there's something I'm missing."

"You miss a lot when you're not around, Enzo." Owen cut in from his spot. He began to put his belongings away, putting them in every organized compartment in his backpack. He took his time, making sure to stay alert in the conversation while the other two continued to talk.

Enzo ignored the other boy's comment, too focused on his best friend. "Seriously, man. You've never been this involved with your phone. What's bothering you? Something with the grams again?"

Zach shook his head. He debated with himself before making sure they were the only three in the gymnasium. Once he realized they were, he sighed in defeat. "It's a girl."

"Seriously?" Owen and Enzo asked at the same time. Each of them had a confused expression, glancing at each other before back at Zach.

This was very odd for Zach. He wasn't usually like this, his carefree attitude diminished as he opened up to his two best friends. Even during serious times, he was usually calm and collected.

Zach tapped his fingers on the basketball a few times. After some more debating in his brain, he finally motioned for Enzo to follow him before making his way over to where Owen sat.

The two sat down on the bleachers and faced each other, mirroring each other's positions while Owen sat one row above them.

"Her name is Neve," Zach admitted after a few moments of silence. He put the basketball down on the floor, rolling it back and forth a few times. "She's- she's new here."

Enzo's brows bunched together as he raked his mind, the name sounding familiar. Owen shook his head, tapping his finger to his lips.

"Doesn't ring a bell."

"Well, that's okay." Zach shrugged, "I just- it's stupid."

"What's stupid about it?" Owen asked.

"I don't even know her, right?" Zach admitted, holding a hand outward. "I bumped into her in the hallway and it's like since then, I find myself wanting to bump into her more."

"So you're saying it's love at first sight?" Owen asked with a look that held a bit of judgment in his features. Not only had Zach surprised him with the fact he was caught up on a girl, but now he was saying something that you only heard of in fiction.

Zach rolled his eyes. "That's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is-"

"Oh my god!" Enzo exclaimed. He pointed a finger at the boy, using the other hand to hit the top of his head. "The redhead!"

Zach and Owen stared at Enzo, similar expressions on their faces.

"Yes, Enzo. The redhead. She literally sits with us at lunch," Zach responded.

"Right. She's just so quiet I kinda forget she exists." Enzo shrugged.

Zach didn't understand how. To him, it seemed like even if Neve were the quietest person in the room (which she usually was) he would notice her immediately. He wasn't sure what it was that drew him to her. Part of him wondered if it was only because they'd bumped into each other, and he thought about what would've happened had he not bumped into her that day.

"Sorry if I'm missing something, but isn't something going on between you and Dina?" Owen brought the topic back on track.

"What?" Zach asked, "No. She's just a good friend. That's all."

"Either way. What's this girl doing to you to even make you act like this? Does she not like you back or something?" Enzo asked.

"I don't think she does," Zach sadly spoke, picking at a thread from his shorts. "I mean- I don't know."

Owen snorted, earning a look from the other two. "Be realistic, Zach. You might not be the most popular student at Halloway High, but you're definitely the best-looking single one."

"Yeah, the hottest!" Enzo added jokingly, rolling his eyes when Zach glared at him.

"I don't care about being the hottest here, and you both know that. Doesn't matter anyway, I can't force someone to like me. I just-" He sighed, "I thought maybe we had a spark, or whatever that stuff is in the movies."

"Movies are fake," Owen stated.

"Very fake," Enzo added.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it." Zach waved them off, "Point is I thought there was a mutual attraction. But I'm not very good at reading girls-"

"You never have been," Enzo spoke with a sigh, resting his hand on Zach's shoulder. "Leave it to me."

"What? No!" Zach exclaimed. "I'm not telling you guys this to be like - my wingmen, or something. I just feel a little confused is all. I've never been this interested in a girl, let alone a girl I don't even know. I know very little about her. She could be a complete psychopath and I'm acting like- like Enzo."

"This might be a little bit of a dumb question, but if you don't know anything about her and are still interested, why don't you get to know her?" Owen asked.

"Yeah! You're a huge flirt and I've seen the way you talk to girls. Should be easy." Enzo added in.

"Enzo, he's not a flirt. He's just very... charming," Owen said. "Besides, he doesn't like any of the girls who grow interest in him. That's why he's struggling."

"Exactly," Zach said. "And to answer your question, Owen, that's the problem."

"I don't follow," Owen said.

"The problem is, is that despite the fact that we keep bumping into each other, we've yet to see each other much outside of school. We've run into each other once or twice, but it seems like something happens every time I try to get to know her." Zach shrugged.

"What's stopping you?" Enzo asked.

"Well, during school when I kept meaning to ask for her number school stuff got in the way. Then, when I ran into her at the store she had to go because her aunt was I guess rushing her or something. Then-"

"Jesus, man, how many times did you run into her?" Enzo cut Zach off, earning a glare from Owen.

"A lot. That's why I'm struggling." Zach sent him a look.

"Point is you kept bumping into each other and something kept coming up." Owen continued the story, to which Zach nodded.

"Yes. Exactly. It seemed as if every time I tried to get her number or something, something always happened." Zach mumbled. "The last time I saw her was Friday after school. We met in the library and things were going so good until..." He stopped, tapping his calf with his fingers. "Until Dina and RJ showed up."

Enzo and Owen glanced at each other. They didn't say their similar thoughts aloud, though, and instead let Zach continue to talk.

"Dina was just being Dina, you know? Talking to everyone, being the extrovert she is. And as much as I appreciate her company, I couldn't get three words in with Neve."

"Did Neve attempt to talk to you at all?" Owen asked.

"No. She seems shy around people, I think. I can't tell. I've never seen her talk when there's a group of us, but she's always quiet when I'm around." Zach answered, "Except for every once in a while."

"Well, maybe she just doesn't like you," Enzo said. "Harsh, I know, but you ever think of that?"

"If I wasn't before, I am now." Zach shrugged, "I gave her my phone number. Today's the third day since I've given it to her - counting Friday - and I've yet to hear anything."

"I think she's just not that into you," Owen grimaced.

"Isn't that a movie?" Enzo asked.

Owen rolled his eyes. "He's just not that into you is a movie."

"Well, we're not talking about a he," Enzo looked at Owen.

"Enzo, honey, it's HE, not SHE in the movie title." He explained.

Enzo's cheeks burned red, "Right. I knew that. Anyways, Zach!" He turned to the other boy, "If this Nellie girl isn't interes-"

"Neve." Zach quickly cut Enzo off, earning a look from him. "Sorry. It's Neve, though."

"Right," Enzo dragged the word out. "If this girl isn't interested in you, then move on bro! There are plenty of people out there who'd be more than willing to date you. I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I do know that much."

Zach stayed silent. Truth was, he didn't want to date. He never wanted to date while he attended high school, he'd simply never been interested.

He wasn't the type of boy to get all of the attention. He most definitely wasn't the most popular or attractive student at Halloway High - despite what his friends said to him. He knew this, and he was okay with it. He was okay with getting little to no attention because it made it that much easier to put his focus on his studies and friends. He liked having friends - friends of all genders. Sure, sometimes hanging out one on one for a small date was nice - but he wasn't looking for any friends with benefits and he hadn't been searching for someone to lock in with.

He just wanted to be. That was that.

"I personally think you should keep trying," Owen then spoke.

His comment caught both Enzo and Zach off guard, as it was completely out of character for the smart boy to suggest something like that. Usually, he'd agree with Enzo in a less blunt way. He'd lightly suggest Zach worry about himself and focus on things other than girls and dating. But he didn't, and this caught them both by surprise.

"I mean, the worst that can happen is she rejects you, right? I-I mean has she specifically said whether or not she's into you?" Owen then asked.

"Not really. She sometimes begins to open up to me, but then she'll shut down. Almost like she's afraid to get to know me." Zach answered.

"Do you think she may have heard bad opinions about you?" Enzo asked, "Not that there are as I haven't heard any, but sometimes people say things just to say things."

"Maybe," Zach mumbled.

"Does anyone else in the group talk to her?" Owen then asked.

"The only one that constantly tries almost as much as me is Cloe. But she doesn't say whether or not Neve bothers. I haven't really said anything to anyone cause the last thing I need is people knowing I'm asking about her." Zach responded honestly.

"I definitely don't," Enzo then answered Owen's question, leaning back slightly. "Maybe I should though if both you and Cloe are trying to befriend her."

"She mentioned she has a bit of a helicopter parent," Zach admitted.

"A helicopter mom?" Owen asked.

"Well, yes, but instead of it being her mom, her aunt." Zach shrugged, "Don't know much about it. Just know she brought it up."

Then again, even if Zach had known more about the situation, he wouldn't tell the other two sitting next to him.

"Maybe that's the reason then. Maybe it's not her but her aunt if her aunt's as strict as she says." Owen reasoned.

"Or she's just using that as an excuse," Enzo cut in, "Just bringing it up. You can never be sure especially with someone you don't know."

"I know, you're right." Zach sighed in defeat.

"I'm not saying she's lying or anything, I'm just saying when it's someone you know nothing about you don't know whether they're telling you all lies or the truth. She could be lying about everything - even her name." Enzo told the boy.

"You're sounding like me, it's weird." Owen glanced at Enzo. He then looked back to Zach, letting out a sigh. "I do agree with Enz, I do, but at the same time this doesn't mean go around accusing her of being a pathological liar. Just approach her, tell her you're interested, and go from there."

"Yeah, you guys are right." Zach nodded, "Thanks. I was really getting in my head there."

"That's what we're here for." Owen smiled, grabbing his backpack.

"Can we go get lunch? I'm kind of hungry and craving some Olive Garden." Enzo sighed, standing from his spot on the bleachers.

Zach took this as his cue to stand as well. The three boys walked over to the other side of the gymnasium so Zach and Enzo could grab their belongings, and once they did they began to head toward the exit of the recreational center they'd been in.

"Dude, what if her eyes are fake?" Enzo asked. He then stopped for a second, looking at Owen. "What if she's a robot?"

"Okay, now you're getting too into it. She's definitely not a robot, and she's probably most likely not lying about her eyes or her name. She's a teenage girl, Enzo." Owen responded.

Zach laughed to himself, holding the strap to his bag. The smile left his face as he felt a vibration in his pocket, one letting him know that he'd received a notification.

Stopping in his tracks, he stared down at the unknown number. His heart raced in his chest as he read the text over and over again, shock on his features.

Hi, this is Neve. You gave me your number on Friday, I just haven't really had the chance to text. Is this Zach?

++

Hi <3

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro