Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Tw: Mentions of violence, starving children.

Wolffe didn't like the town.

It was filthy and rundown, with everyone walking in wide circles around him. Parents grabbed their children and steered them away while whispers flew about.

A group of children ran towards him, too occupied by their game to notice him. A little boy bumped into him before staring up at him with wide eyes.

"Sorry, mister," the boy whispered, ducking his head as his friends hid behind a corner of a building. "I didn't mean to!"

His face was covered in grime and his shirt had holes in it, way too thin for the climate they were in. He had a split lip and a bruised cheek.

"It's okay." Wolffe dusted himself off. "Where are your parents?"

"Daddy is at the mines," the boy murmured, shying away from Wolffe's gaze. "Mommy's working at the palace."

"Really? I was there earlier, maybe I saw her," Wolffe mused.

"She's Lady Karina's maid." The boy looked up to stare directly at Wolffe's visor. "What are you?"

"I'm a clone," Wolffe explained, taken aback by the child's bluntness. "I protect people."

He tilted his head. "I'm Timmy. Who are you?"

"Wolffe." 

Timmy squinted at him. "Are you here to protect us?"

"Protect you from who?" Wolffe crouched to be at eye level with Timmy. 

Timmy pointed to a house's wall, where a symbol of a moon was. "Them."

Wolffe studied it carefully, examining the red paint dripping down the walls. The word 'Eclipse' was written beneath. "What is that?"

Timmy wrung his hands together, wearing a scared expression that should never be on a child. "They run this town. Everyone whose house has the symbol pays gives them credits, or they pay with their life."

Wolffe's veins were chilled with the unsettling words. "Is there a gang around here?"

Timmy nodded. "They visited my mommy yesterday. She's limping now and won't eat. She says we need to save for our next collection."

Wolffe sighed and fished a couple credits from his belt. "Here. Thanks, kid."

Timmy beamed with happiness and scrambled away, returning to his friends. Wolffe watched him as he stood up, brow furrowed in concern.

He saw a flash of red on every house in the village as he walked through it, a moon on each of them.

"I'm telling you, sir, something's wrong here," Wolffe said to Plo Koon. "There's starving children, gangs rampant, and there have been attempts to usurp the rulers."

"I'm sure they're dealing with it. Everywhere has problems, whether they're obvious or not." Plo Koon leaned against the holoprojector which had a map floating above it. 

Wolffe didn't respond.

Plo Koon glanced up at him. "Wolffe, I'm glad you came to me with this. This is definitely something to be considered, but I don't want you to worry about it."

Wolffe nodded. "Understood, sir."

"We've also been hearing rumours of a rebellion trying to steal the throne. That could be a potential danger to watch out for." Plo Koon turned the holoprojector off and straightened, leading Wolffe from the room. "If you have any concerns, please let me know, but don't stress too much over them."

"I'll try to see what I can find about the rebellion." Wolffe shot Boost a sharp look as he walked past. He didn't know what Boost was up to, but wanted to be prepared just in case.

"Excellent," Plo Koon said, clasping his hands behind his back. "I know I can always rely on you."

Wolffe felt a twinge of pride and nearly smiled.

Nearly.

"It's what I'm here for," was what Wolffe settled for saying.

Plo Koon studied him for a moment before saying, "Get some rest. I have a feeling you're going to need it."

Really short chapter but I'm building up to some good things.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro