Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Truth's face was inches above her own.

Lavender. Lavender eyes, intense and beautiful.

It occurred to her that wasn't the message Truth was trying to press.

Myth shoved Truth away before she could be further distracted. "What does it matter," she grumbled. "What's the point?"

"The point is," Truth said, rising. "You can help me. And your brother."

Myth stood, gently brushing herself off with sore hands. "Climbing a rock is very different from breaking into a prison."

Truth huffed. "Rock? You need to give yourself more credit," she said with a pointed glance towards the hundred foot drop.

"You give me too much." Her words came off as more of a snarl than intended. "Trust me. I haven't accomplished anything."

Once again Truth stepped into Myth's space. "You broke out of Jade! That is an accomplishment!"

This time Myth shoved truth so hard she stumbled back. "Soren got me out of Jade! I did nothing! You get that? Nothing. I can't help you."

"And what else are you going to do?" Truth argued. "Go waste away?" She sighed. "Fine. Do nothing. Believe you are useless. But come to my place."

Her mind was spinning. "What? Why in hell would I go with you? You pushed me off a cliff!"

The pale girl gave a slow nod. "Fair point— but look, now you're acknowledging it's a cliff." She stepped back. "Listen. I could care less your brother got you out. You still survived. Now you have another choice. You can go down there and find a job that works you all day for a can of beans, or you can come to my place. Free beans and I think I even have a can of peaches somewhere."

Myth paused.

Why this girl was so determined was beyond her. Yet free food... Knowing this girl, it was likely a trap. A mousetrap.

Yet Truth was right. The alternative was less than pleasant.

And despite her feelings on the cliff, if it was a trap, it didn't matter now. To her, free peaches were worth the risk. It would be a good end either way.

"I'll come. On one condition."

Truth raised a brow. "Yes?"

Myth nodded towards the knife in Truth's belt. "Teach me how to use that. Well enough to take you down."

Truth smiled. "Now you're learning."

- - -

Truth's place was an earth apartment; an abandoned top-floor penthouse in a building so overgrown it was nearly invisible. It was also massively unstable, but sometimes safety was worth it.

Truth instantly set to rummaging around the half-decayed cabinets, while Myth stood in the center of the large room. A doorway led to what looked like a bedroom along a far wall. The place might have once belonged to rich people, with faded, beautiful paintings along the walls and floor-to-ceiling windows that had long since shattered away.

Myth sat on what remained of a modern white sofa, resting her feet on the low stone table before it.

A moment later, Truth strode back from the kitchen and plopped down onto the couch beside her, a can in each hand. She set the cans on the table.

Seeing the cans of peaches was almost unreal. Fruit was expensive and hard to come by, in both dimensions. Her mouth watered at the thought of their sweet, soft texture. Her stomach growled as she remembered her last meal was quite a while ago.

Myth reached for one.

Truth swatted her hand away.

"Hey, I thought—"

The pale girl smirked. "Hey now. Just because you're getting free beans from me doesn't mean the good stuff comes with it. You want these? You're gonna have to work for it?"

Myth crossed her arms. "What do you want me to do?"

Truth cracked open a can and popped a bright orange slice in her mouth. "Tell me I'm beautiful."

Myth blinked. "What?"

Another slice vanished down Truth's throat. "Come now, you aren't deaf. Tell me I'm beautiful."

She shook her head in disbelief. "I'll tell you you're a sick psychopath and that's as good as you're gonna get."

Myth nearly jumped when truth slammed her can on the low table. "Look. You need to work on your confidence. Telling someone a compliment like that? It takes confidence. You tell me I'm beautiful, or you can help yourself to the beans I've got in my pantry."

The look in that girl's eyes nearly froze her solid. Until Myth broke away, standing and making for the cabinet. She snatched a can of beans and flipped the top.

She didn't look at the contents. She wouldn't be able to eat if she did. So she just tipped the can and dumped it in her mouth.

Tolerable, actually. Just beans, nothing processed. Not like from Jade.

I don't deserve this. I didn't earn this.

She set down the rest of the can on the marble counter.

"Show me some knife work. But then I'm leaving."

Her heart practically leapt from her chest when a knife impaled itself in the cabinet inches from her face. Her own terrified eyes looked back at her from the reflection in the blade.

"You're in my place now. Which means you're gonna obey my rules." Truth stalked towards Myth. "You can leave when I decide you can. When I decide you're ready." The girl pinned her against the counter. Myth tensed, and tried to push her away, but Truth was rock solid. "Oh, you don't like me this close?" Truth ripped her dagger from the cabinet and pressed it against the side of Myth's throat.

Truth's hard, beautiful face leaned even closer to emphasize her previous words. "It's about time you learned how to do something about it."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro