12. Because of Eugene

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Mirabelle's POV

It was 5 am. when I pulled my body out of bed. I brushed my teeth, took a warm bath, tied up my hair, and wore my bathrobe.

I went downstairs to meet Mimi already preparing breakfast, and I was once again grateful for her life.

"Morning Mimi."

"Morning, sweetheart. How are you?"

"I'm good. What's for breakfast?"

"Cornmeal mush."

"Oo really, I want some, like a lot. I haven't had that in a very long time."

"Give me a moment." She smiled at me, and I took out my phone. I could hear the faucet runny as she rinsed a bowl to dish out food for me.

"We're running low on groceries. Your parents sent in some money to go for more shopping, anything you'd need? I'll be going to the market today."

"Oh, well, at the moment, my mind is hazy... but I'll send you a list later and add extra money if the need is." I added some more milk to my meal, and I started eating.

"Alright. And they said they're coming soon, like really soon."

I perked up, "Really? That's cool. When exactly?"

"They didn't specify. Your mother says that your dad needs a checkup."

"Oh gosh, is everything okay?" I stood up, taking my empty bowl with me to the sink.

"Oh yes, everything is fine...oh, by the way, do you remember Aunt Polly?"

"Of course I remember her." Aunt Polly was an affluent old woman who had tons of grandchildren. She was a wonderful family friend of ours.

"One of her sons is getting married."

"Who this time?"

"Bradley... she invited us. So you can imagine what she expects."

"Yep, I do, we change twice, and the bride changes four times... I remember. Congrats to Bradley, though. I have to get him a gift. "

"Yes, of course. You know, she requested the church choir to also minister the occasion. Turns out the new bride lives methodist hymns."

"Wow... that's... cool," I chuckled.

"And since your car is still chilling with the mechanic, Eugene's coming with us."

"What?" My eyes widened, and Mimi's confused urged me to modify my choice of words. "That would be so amazing!" I added.

"Yes, I know." She chuckled."You seem quite a little too excited."

"Oh, of course, I mean Eugene is a wonderful person. Can Marylove attend too?"

"No problem, but you girls shouldn't take forever to dress up."

"We'll try." I giggled. "When exactly is the wedding?"

"In about 4 weeks... you know there's a lot of preparation to be done."

"Okay then...I'm going to get ready for work... I have to be there before 6 am.'

"Sure, sweety." She responded, and I left to go upstairs to prepare for work.

I arrived ten minutes at the hospital, and I greeted the few people who were around before I went to my office.

I always loved Tuesdays because I didn't have any midnight shifts today. I sighed and opened my file books to go through the records. My assistant, Leila, called me shortly to remind me of the thousands of appointments I had today, and I sighed again.

Let's get through this

The morning of Bradley's wedding finally approached. Prior to that, I made sure to arrange my schedule in such a way that I attended all my appointments a day before and pushed the rest to a day after so that I could have a free day.

I think I was rarely gonna do that again because yesterday was so stressful, and I didn't feel like waking up today.

Marylove came over to disrupt my sleep with the new outfits she got for us to wear.

She bought me two dresses, one was green and the other was blue. The green, which I wore first, was knee length, and it had one hand while it hugged me like a glove.

Marylove wore a magenta dress similar to mine, but hers had both hands, and it was a bit shorter than mine.

Mimi came in earlier and gave us 1 hour to prepare, plus a stern look on her face. We both dressed, and I did Marylove's makeup, and she sat me down to mine.

"Girl, ow!" I groaned when Marylove pinched me on my arm.

"Be still ugh...I really want Eugene to near us to a car accident when we're going."

"Are you being serious right now?!" I giggled.

"Deadass." She smirked.

"I'm not dressing up for him, though. " I added, for the record.

"Of course duhhh...but I want it to be like the you-can-look-but-not-touch me kinda stuff." She explained. "Aunt Pollys events are so cool..do you remember that baby shower for her great grandson son some years ago.

"Yeah, I do, I know, right..that event was much more phenomenal than even a Grammy award show -"

"Girls! You better be heading out now! Eugene's here!"

"Coming!!!"

After about fifteen minutes, we left our rooms fully dressed and went downstairs to meet an upset Mimi. Immediately, she saw she ranted till we went outside.

"Good morning, mum," Eugene approached us and nodded at Marylove and I. He lingered on me for a few seconds before he mom gently pulled him close.

"Who is the young lady in the front seat?" She gritted, and my eyes moved there immediately.

"Looks like he brought his plus one too." Marylove whispered in my ear.

"I know, right?" I gently rolled my eyes.

"Um, she's a friend I wanted to tag along."

"We'll discuss this later. Let's go!" She announced.

Mimi, I, and Marylove settled in the back seat while Eugene and his girlfriend maintained their seating arrangements.

"Young lady, how are you?" Mimi asked when Eugene revved the engine.

"I'm fine, ma'am. " She responded
sweetly, her accent thickly British. "Elvin, drop me here at the junction, I'll come along with the choir in the bus. We have to rehearsse the hymns."

"Sure, mum."

Somewhat, excitement flooded in me, but later on, I realised we might face an awkward silence because Mimi was the one who mostly talked.

Alas, Eugene dropped her off, and she got down, and Marylove led out a soft breath she was probably holding in.

"This silence is killing me." She mouthed at me, and I chuckled. "Should I?"

"Should you what?" I mouthed back.

"So, Eugene's friend, what's your name?"

"I'm Lynelle."

"That's nice."

"What about you?"

"Marylove,"

"Nice, you're Mirabelle, right?" She looked at me, and my eyes widened a bit. "Yeah..."

"How do you know my name?"

"Oh, Eugene mentioned it once." She placed her hand on Eugene's arm. Eugene's been talking about me?

"Okay." I smiled. Oh, she wasn't so bad.

"So, have you always lived in Rio?"

"Oh not really, my cousin, Breah lives here... but I actually came because of Eugene and some other stuff."

Oh, because of Eugene

"What's with Eugene? Are you two dating?" Marylove causally asked.

"Mary!" I whispered loudly.

"What? I'm asking for you, be grateful." She whispered back

"We're -"

"It's none of your business." Eugene cut her off.

"Okay, sure, but don't be rude." She scoffed.

"And don't be intrusive." Eugene added.

"I-" I held her hand before she could utter another. Silence fell in again, and Marylove sulked at not having the chance to tell Eugene off.

Y'all please pray for me to get strength....I misplaced the manuscript for the next 2 or 3 chapters so I'm just writing everything from memory, that's why the updates are slow, but Imma try my best😊🥂

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro