15. Peace offering.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Mirabelle's POV

For a while, neither Eugene nor I spoke as we both faced Mimi. I was expecting him to open his mouth and clarify, but he just stood there quietly while Mimi ranted on.

I wanted to reverse everything, saying that it was not what it was, but I honestly didn't know what to do or say to make Mimi believe me.

"You know, I honestly wouldn't have an issue if you two were seeing each other...but just imagined how embarrassing it was for me when someone else had to ask me about it...meanwhile I had no idea!"

"Mom." Eugene finally cleared his throat. "We're not actually engaged...."

"Oh, so now you're investing in lies. Is that not the case?"

"No, not that... we actually go on dates, and I recently asked her to be my girlfriend -"

Um, what the hell was he saying?!

"But I've not proposed... and I just didn't want Mr. Tomlin to ask a lot of questions -"

After that, I just zoned out, and my mind started wandering. What was this boy up to? What trouble was he putting me in?!

"I still deserved to know. And you didn't have to hide it from me unless you were doing something else." She gazed pointedly at me.

"No, we're not doing anything." He smiled sheepishly.

"Wait, hold on, what's all this-",

"Mimi," someone called her from behind and took her away before I could explain myself.

I took in and suprised-infuriated breath and turned to him.

"The alcohol never left your system, did it?" I glared at him.

"I'm not drunk." He shrugged, and I poked my tongue in cheek.

"Why are you putting me in this situation? Why are you lying to everyone about us?!"

"It's fun." He sighed, and I punched his chest, and he held both of my arms, and my eyes widened when his arm went around my waist, and he pulled me close.

"Watch your step. You have no idea what's going on." He spoke lowly, and I glared back at him.

"You like me, don't you?" I stared into his eyes.

"Don't be delusional," He chuckled, leaning in, and I could feel my breath slowing down.

"Eugene!" I whispered loudly when he brushed his lips with mine. I saw his lips turn into a smirk before I looked back into his eyes. I nearly fell.

"Sweetheart, there's time for everything." I heard Mimi's voice, and we yanked apart.

Great! Just when I wanted to clarify everything to her later!

I pushed Eugene back and eyed him before I left to look for Marylove.  I found her at the buffet table.

"I can explain." I spoke first when I saw her.

"Wow, Mirabelle,  wow."

"Someone asked me to dance with him, and I ended up with Mimi afterwards."

"Who asked you to dance?"

"Eugene." I muttered, rolling my eyes.

"Don't give me a cheek ,yeah?"

"I'm serious.  Even I was surprised..,but I think he was drunk because he went ahead to tell Mimi that I'm his girlfriend."

"You've got to be kidding me. This guy is up to no good." She shook her head.

"I don't even know what he's up to. I wanted to tell Mimi everything, but let's just say actions spoke louder, He nearly kissed me, and Mimi saw that!" I sighed.

"Yep, up to no good. Gurl, you should have stomped on his feet." She suggested, and I laughed. "Here, have a shrimp."

Elvin-Eugene's POV

I left quickly to my apartment, punched in the code, and when the door opened, I took off my coat and opened the fridge.

I grabbed the first two bottles of Jack Daniels I saw and sat down on the floor.

For the past thirty minutes, I was just drinking, trying not to cast my mind back to what happened at the reception, but it was so difficult.

Damnit why did I ask her to dance in the first place...what inspired me?! Because I could actually sense that I put myself in a lot of danger.

Everything felt risky, yet I didn't want to stop. I wanted to lean in and claim her lips like it was no one's business.

No wonder I kept up the act even when Mimi asked us about what was going on. Besides..., I had to follow through with my plan, and this was one of the most perfect opportunities to carry it out.

But why was I so nearly made weak by her? Those eyes...damn they're deep and they could really drown any guy, me especially.

I heard a beep sound indicating someone had opened my apartment, and I didn't even bother to raise my head.

"Eugene?" A feminine voice called. "What has gotten into you?!" She exclaimed, sliding next to me and taking the bottle out of my hands.

"Give it back." I muttered groaning.

"No, why the hell are you drinking anyway?" She asked, gazing at me. I turned to look at her, and I tilted my head a little. My eyes felt droopy as I remembered Mirabelle's eyes and lips again.

How would they feel on mine?

I leaned in closer and pressed my lips on hers. My heart started pumping, and my conscience was deadening.

"Mirabelle.." I mumbled against her lips, and all of a sudden, my conscience returned. Why would I possibly think she was here? This was my apartment...she didn't know this place.

"Oh shit." I pulled, and the alcohol started leaving me when I needed it the most. "Lynelle-"

"Eugene, what was that?" She whispered, her breath was shallow.

"Lynelle, I'm sorry." I muttered. She stood up angrily and left, and at that point, I felt too heavy to get up, so I just lied down and fell asleep.

The following morning greeted me with the after effects of alcohol. I got up from the floor and threw myself into the sofa and slept for another bit till the headache started pounding me in the head.

I got up and sent myself to the bathroom to take a quick shower, wincing all the way through my headache.

Eventually, what happened yesterday started occurring in my mind, and I sighed

I had to apologise to Lynelle

I didn't intend to kiss her...the alcohol was just messing with my brain along with Mirabelle.

Mirabelle...oh God, she was going to be the death of me. Even her glares were a go-ahead. It took a lot not to devour her lips there and then. Or kiss around her neck. Or hold her close for  as long as I could.

What is all this? Focus! I needed to get Lynelle right now.

I left my apartment and went to the pharmacy to buy painkillers for my headache, and I also went to the pastry store to buy some snacks as a peace offering.

I stopped at where she lived. Lynelle lived with her cousin Breah, and when I rang the bell, she came to see me.

"Yes, what do you want?" She asked boredly.

"Is Lynelle around?" I asked.

"A minute. " She turned around, and went inside. Some moments later, Lynelle came out with a not-so-happy look.

"Hey."

"Hi." She folded her arms.

"How was your night?" I asked, and I regretted it.

"Paunful but manageable."

"Lynelle, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to use you...I wasn't thinking straight, and I acted like a big jerk."

"A very big jerk."

"Yes, yes, you're right, and I'm sorry. It won't happen again. "

"Why were you even fantasising about her?" She furrowed her brows

"I wasn't -"

"But you mentioned her name." She rose a brow, and I fell silent.

"Look, I'm sorry, I'm really sorry." I repeated myself.

"Eugene, you know I'm worried about you.."

"Don't be, I'm alright, I have everything under control." I assured her. "I promise."

After a while, she nodded her head and let go of her arms and sighed. I embraced her and exhaled in relief that I hadn't lost a friend.

"Today's Monday, by the way." I reminded her, and she smiled, giving me a knowing look as it went towards the car.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro