Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I rinsed off in the river, combing out the black goo from my pelt. Despite my best efforts, it left a greenish-blue stain on my caramel fur. Even though my fur was clean, the rabbit's stinky breath still clung to my skin.

I headed for the Cielo tribe as the sun tipped below the horizon, shivering as drops of icy water dripped from my pelt.

Uhhhhhhggg, I thought to myself. I hate this. I don't want to eat with them. And especially not River.

I tried to stay optimistic, but I couldn't help but imagine River and the rest of her tribe gawking all over me as I ate a dead animal.

Their camp was small, but decently protected by juniper trees and sage bushes, providing shade, shelter from the wind, and coverage from possible enemies. I could hear them chattering softly, talking about trivial things like the chilly weather. A litter of pups yipped as they played with each other.

I snuck between two sage brushes, collecting weeds on my matted, messy fur.

Someone gasped, and I panicked.

"The great warrior has arrived!"

The tribe started cheering, yipping and howling with delight. Every eye was on me. Even though there were only nine tribe members, I still squirmed under their eyes.

I smiled awkwardly and brushed the sagebrush off my fur, straightening my posture.

Three brown little pups tumbled to me, making me lose my balance and sit down. They jumped around my feet, yipping and barking and slobbering.

"Hi! Hi! Hi!" One little boy repeated

"Hi! Hey! Hi! Hi!" His brother also said, nipping my elbows.

"My name's Nyla. That was my grandma's name, and her mom's name, and her mom's name, and her mom's name—"

Their mother, a tall gray female scooped her pups away. "Children! Behave!" She scolded as they writhed in her paws.

I smiled, for real this time. "It's okay, Juniper. I like pups."

Juniper smiled tiredly. "At least someone around here does."

She ushered her pups back to their den, nipping their heels and scolding them harshly. ". . . like you'd would be worthy to even lick his feet . . ." I heard her mutter.

They way she and the rest of the Cielo has treated the pups made me uncomfortable. Sure, they were annoying, but they were just pups.

"Astor!" The leader boomed, coming up to me to embrace me. The dark gray and russet coyote knocked the wind from my chest. "Glad you could join us!"

I patted the leader's back, trying to politely tell him to get away. "Y-yeah, no problem, Chief Thunder. Glad to be here."

He stepped back, and motioned for River, who had been sitting aside. She stepped up and came to Thunder. "You've met my daughter River, haven't you?" He patted her back firmly.

"Yep." I said, giving a friendly smile as she batted her eyelashes.

"Now that you are here, we can celebrate your victory! We've gathered a feast in your honor!" Thunder barked loudly, causing everyone to cheer again.

"You shouldn't have," I said quietly.

"Nonsense!" A thin gray female said, coming around from behind me. "I've prepared it the way my grandmother would, and her mother would, and her mother would!"

She pushed me towards the pile of prey. I'm not sure what she had done to make it special, besides throw dirt on it and arrange the dead animals in a circle. But it did smell good, and made my stomach growl, reminding me of how hungry I was.

The tribe sat down around the circle of prey, bustling with excited energy. The pups refused to hold still, and Juniper held them down tightly, grinning and trying to suppress her wrestling pups. Juniper's mate sat next to her, stroking his gray and russet fur, ignoring her and their pups. Beetle, a dark gray and red coyote, sat grinning next to him. Thunder sat at the head of the circle, sitting proudly next to his skinny mate, who was shaking with excitement. Silver and River made space for me between them, inviting me into the odd circle of odd coyotes.

"Sit, Astor!" Thunder yelled, and I grimaced to myself.

I sat closer to Silver than River. He glanced up at me, confused but happy that I chose to be near him. I smiled. I'm just trying to get away from your creepy sister.

"Well, dig in!" Thunder said, but his mate elbowed him.

She whispered something in his ear, and his face beamed with realization.

"Oh! Yes, a prayer." He said, chuckling to himself.

We closed our eyes.

"Great spirits," Thunder said, "we have been blessed by you! We are grateful for this meal you have provided for us! Thank you."

When I opened my eyes, River had scooted closer to me.

"You get first pick, Astor." Thunder's mate said.

I shook my head, about to refuse, but Silver pushed me up. I sighed to myself, counting to ten, then picked a lizard.

The tribe went in order from seniority, from Thunder's mate (who's name I discovered was Shimmer) down to Silver.

I thought it was interesting that this tribe did dinner the same way the Piedra had. From my travels along Eyeseffendee, I quickly realized that most tribes from Kolorato ate their meals very differently, but Yootaw tribes ate theirs the same way we had. It made me remember that Hawk was originally from Yootaw. It felt like he had always been part of the Piedra.

"So Astor," Thunder said, his mouth full of a rabbit, chunks of spit and fur flying from his lips, "tell us about yourself."

"Ahh, um, so I'm not that interesting—" I started, but River cut me off.

"Oh stop it! A great warrior like yourself must be terribly fascinating." She scooted even closer, beginning to trap me between her and her brother.

"Ah heh," I laughed nervously, "so, um, I'm from Kolorato. But my biological parents were from Noo Meksiko originally, but they all moved up north—"

"Noo Meksiko?" Beetle interrupted. "You don't mean the Guerro were your biological ancestors? The great warriors of the south?"

"How did you guess that—" I mumbled, but Shimmer interrupted me.

"Wow! Isn't that amazing, Thunder?" She elbowed him, and he coughed on his food.

"Why yes! No wonder you are such a skilled warrior! Until now, I had only believed the Guerro were a ledgend! How delightful to know that they still dwell among us, protecting us from danger!" He said, brushing his leftovers off his broad chest.

"Actually, they aren't much help when it comes to defending other tribes." I said, but no one seemed to hear, because they went on talking amongst themselves about the amazing Guerro warriors.

River pet my paw uncomfortably, and I pulled it away.

"So," She started, looking up at me. "how old are you, Astor?"

I scooted back. "I'm uhh . . . a little less than two years old. Probably way older than you."

"Actually," She said, "I'm also two. But that's okay. I think younger guys are cute."

Silver gagged beside me. I agreed with him.

"Um—umm—cool." Was all I could muster.

Thunder laughed at us.

"Seems like you two are getting along!" Shimmer beamed.

"Which reminds me," Thunder said, "Astor, you've done such a great job, and we really value your skills—and, um . . . personality. We've discussed you staying with us in the Cielo tribe, and everyone agrees That you should stay! Even my daughter, who has agreed to be your mate!"

I choked on the lizard leg in my throat. River grinned widely beside me.

"Um—hack—actually—" I started, but Thunder cut me off.

"River's a fine young female, don't you think? She'd give you plenty of healthy pups, and you can be Chief once I'm dead!"

"Or retired." Shimmer said happily, still smiling.

"You wouldn't need to help around here much, mostly keep us safe from more monsters. But we have plenty of food, shelter and water!" Beetle said, smiling crookedly.

"And love." River said seductively, petting me as she got very close to my face. I threw up in my mouth.

"And I could help you!" Silver said, wagging his tail.

"Whad'ya say, Astor?" Thunder asked.

For once, they were quiet, staring at me with their eyes wide and tails wagging. I took a deep breath.

"Look, guys, thanks for the—um—offer. But I'm kinda busy. You aren't they only tribe I need to protect. I promised I'd help the Estrella tribe. And I actually, um . . . I have my eye on someone else."

As I spoke, everyone's smiles slowly turned upside down. Shimmer gave me a mean scowl, Juniper gave me the most disappointed double chin ever, and Silver's bottom lip trembled.

"So my daughter isn't good enough for you?" Thunder growled, his huge eyebrows furrowing.

Please don't ask me that question. I thought to myself. "No, it's not that—"

"Then why not take her as your MATE?" He roared, standing up and bearing his fangs.

I stepped back, putting my tail between my legs. Everyone's hackles were bristling, and lips slowly drew themselves up. Even the little puppies made themselves look menacing.

"Am—I—not—PRETTY?" River said between huffs, her eyes wild as she towered over me. Hot steam blew from her nostrils onto me.

I stepped back even further until my hide was against the sagebrush.

"You—you really are, it's just—"

"Just WHAAAAT?" She roared.

"I'm—ahh, I'm gonna go. Thanks for the food, bye!"

I ducked underneath the bush swiftly, then ran off as quick as I could.

"HEY!" She barked.

"STOP! TRAITOR!" Thunder roared.

Suddenly the whole tribe was barking and howling.

I looked over my shoulder to see if they had followed me. Guess what? They were. All of them.

I ran faster, making myself move. I was not getting stuck with them.

"Stop! Hey!"

"Astor!"

"We need you!"

"I LOVE YOU!"

But their barks were getting fainter and farther away.

In no time, I was flying away, far out of their grasp and snickering with relief.

<——-•••——->

I kind of felt bad leaving the Cielo, even though I knew their motives were selfish. They didn't care about me. They only wanted me for my body.

I sighed, breathing in the chilly night air, slowing down into a light trot under the starless sky. A lonesome cricket chirped in the distance, shivering from the winter cold. The moon peeped between gray clouds, turning the red stone a patchy shade of blue and black.

I ran most of the night, stopping at rivers to take a break or stopping to listen for the hollow roar of Eyeseffendee, overlapped occasionally by a hooting owl. I made sure to stay close to Eyeseffendee, but not too close.

I stopped to take a drink in a small pond. The water was old and stale, but relatively clean. I waded into the icy water up to my ankles, making the silt stir at my toes. I took long sips from the pond.

From the corner of my eye, I could see the moon reflecting in the water, rippling from the drops on my chin. I also noticed my reflection, dark and foreboding. My bright green eyes flickered on the surface of the water, like leaves on the wind.

I watched them ripple, staring back up at me.

Those green eyes had always set me apart as different. Something alien and unwelcomed. I hated them. I always had.

They were just a reminder of how different I was. How I'd never fit in with anyone but the Guerro. How it was my "duty" to protect the tribes from monsters. How I needed to destroy the Shifter. How long it'd be before I'd see my tribe . . . before I saw Sego.

Oh how I wished I was born with golden eyes.

I growled at my reflection, then splashed it away, splattering the red sand with water. I stepped out and shook myself off, water droplets making tiny ripples and speckles on the ground.

Someone walked up behind me.

"Astor?"

I turned around swiftly to see who had said my name, making water droplets fall quietly.

It was the most beautiful coyote in the world. Her soft, dark ears were lined with moonlight, casting her angled face in shadow. Her almond-shaped eyes stared at me with disbelief, pupils wide in the dim light.

It was Sego.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro