26. Wedding Crash Redo

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I never would've stood a chance of making the ceremony in time, but Jack drove like a maniac the whole ride there. He squealed into Ashton Gardens, Harriett's chapel of choice, ten minutes late. The parking lot overflowed with cars.

I marveled in the fact that the people who drove these cars knew of Harriet's wedding before me. My heart ached to get inside. "I walked every step of Harriett's life with her and I'll be damned if I miss this march." I ran from his black Navigator across the meticulously kept gardens, reaching and flinging open the arched chapel doors.

Jack kept up, matching my stride. Together we entered the ceremony. A four-man barber shop quartet harmonized, singing a soulful rendition of the Beatles classic, "With a Little Help from my Friends." Fragrant bouquets of fresh hydrangeas and garden roses filled the air with a delicious fragrance. Rows of people lined the crowded pews. Harriett's handsome groom stood waiting at the altar. The wedding had begun.

Although I heard her in the choice of Beatles song, smelled her in the flowers, and felt her in each perfectly styled detail of decoration, I did not see Harriett.

Jack ushered me toward the last remaining seats in the chapel, back row and on the right.

"I get by with a little help from my friends, I'm going to try with a little help from my friends," the quartet sang, as two bridesmaids slowly filed into the room.

Lulu came first, followed by Julian, each stunning in matching pale pink. They glided past, never glancing my way. Proudly they marched down the aisle, rubbing the honor in my face.

I could take no more. I leaped from my second class seat in the back, sliding down the aisle behind Jewls, claiming my rightful place in line. My dress didn't match, my hair wasn't coifed, nor did I carry a bouquet. But I never felt I belonged anywhere more than I did as I strode down that aisle.

We stopped our march at the front alter and Lulu discovered my addition to the wedding party.

"Annie?" she whispered, looking surprised. "What are you doing? And why do look like you just got laid?"

Smiling into the crowd of guests I started to explain, but was interrupted as the quartet changed songs to, "Stand by Me," signaling the entrance of the bride.

Guests stood and I held my breath, anxiously awaiting Harriett's big moment. She emerged in bathed of light, glowing it seemed from within. Her ivory lace gown hugged her curves, highlighting enormous cleavage and her ever so slightly swollen stomach. She beamed as she floated down the aisle, focusing her million dollar smile on, Nick, her soon-to-be husband.

Tears of joy trickled down my face and I gasped at Harriett's beauty. "She looks like a princess," I whispered softly to Jewls.

"A knocked-up princess bride? I don't think so," he scoffed under his breath. But I could tell by his dazzled expression, he thought she looked stunning as well.

As Harriett reached the alter taking her place beside her smiling groom her eyes finally found me and her expression of serenity crumbled.

She whispered something to Nick and the minister, then slowly turned and walked my way, holding my gaze. She flung her arms around me, hugging me tighter than ever before. In the middle of her ceremony, wrapped in one another's loving embrace, we sobbed.

"I knew you'd come," Harriett cried, wiping tears from her perfectly made face. "I knew you wouldn't miss this."

"Of course I wouldn't miss it," I told her, through tears of my own.

Her smile returned and she squeezed me one last time, whispering in my ear, "But, Annie, don't you dare Pippa Middleton my wedding. Get back in line with the other bridesmaids!"

Harriett returned to her place by Nick's side and tenderly he took her hand in his own. "Are you ready?" I heard him ask my friend.

"I'm ready," she confirmed.

Tears again filled my eyes as the intimate ceremony got under way. Nick and Harriet promised to love, honor, and cherish one other for the rest of their lives to come. He kissed his bride gently, followed by loud hoots and cheers of approval from the guests. It was official. Harriett was a married woman.

I found myself scanning the mass of people for Jack. My smile widening when I spotted his handsome face amongst the crowd. He looked only at me and his intimate stare took my breath away. I felt the bubbling anticipation of a million memories to come.

"Who are you making lover-eyes toward?" Lulu's voice broke into my trance.

I laughed and wrapped one arm around her thin shoulders. "My friend, we have a lot of catching up to do."

Arm in arm we went to find the new Mrs. Harriett Masters. She sat in the dressing room, wrapped tightly in Nick's arms. His hands rested protectively over her small, ball of a belly. Her new diamond ring caught the light, sparkling brilliantly on her finger. I memorized the image of them together, so in love they looked. Happy tears filled my eyes as I reached her side. "Harriett, look at you. You are absolutely stunning, you glow!"

"Thanks, Annie," she said. "I told Nick you'd come."

"She did. Glad you made it, Annie." Nick said with a genuine smile.

"I'm so sorry, Harriett," I said, knowing it wasn't the appropriate time, but unable to stop myself. "I can't believe I was so selfish. I missed so much. Your engagement and your showers. I wanted to help find your wedding dress and throw a bachelorette party, I wanted to--"

"You're here now, Annie. That's all that matters to me."

I threw myself into her and Nick's embrace, emotionally hugging them both. "I love you, Mr. and Mrs. Masters."

Julian entered the dressing room dragging his date, Scotty, behind him. "Well, well, Annie, so nice of you to join us after all the hard work is done. I slave away for months as a bridesmaid and then you come prancing in, stealing all my glory."

Scotty hushed him and incredibly Julian complied.

Scotty and I introduced ourselves, each a bit uncomfortable. "Sorry, about the whole wedding crash thing," I told him. Head hung low, I remembered the letter stuffed inside my purse.

"Are Jaime and Kate...okay?"

"Well," he stalled, "actually, they called off the wedding. I talked to Kate and she's going to be fine. Angry and embarrassed, but fine. No one knows where Jaime is. Once he was outed he disappeared. I called his office, they said he took a leave of absence. Who knows where he might be hiding. But at least it's not in the closet anymore!" Scotty said, laughing good-naturedly and lightening the mood in the room. "You shouldn't feel guilty, Annie.  Jaime hurt a lot of people, including me, you, and Kate. His inability to embrace himself, his dishonesty, caused this mess. You and I, we're simply the reaction."

I hugged him in appreciation for easing my conscience, happy that he appeared to actually like Jewls. Embolden by Scotty's assurances I pulled out the crumpled pink envelope and ripped it open.

Dear Annie,
This is the only thank-you letter I plan on mailing. I'm writing it to you, because it's you to whom I'm grateful. Thank you for doing what I couldn't, for saving me from a loveless marriage to a man living a lie. I'm forever in your debt.
Best Wishes,
Kate Oliver

Her letter erased the last shades of my guilt. A weight I hadn't known I carried lifted from my shoulders. I will publish my diaries. I will embrace myself.

Harriett and Nick were ushered into the noisy reception hall to greet their guests. They danced their first dance and mingled with relatives, cutting the cake with a lingering kiss.

Our group gathered at the beautifully set head table, eating cake and drinking wine—a happy buzz of conversation. Jack's chair was pushed suspiciously close to mine. We held hands below the table.

Harriett noticed first and genuine alarm crossed her beautiful face. She made questioning eyes at Lulu. They whispered, nodding our way. Lulu ducked her head beneath the white tablecloth, confirming for herself the alleged handhold situation. Her large eyes squinted tight as she rose. I knew what they were thinking before Lulu said it aloud.

"Annie, no more Fag Hag! Please, this has to stop. I'm sorry, Jack, but we all know you're gay."

And then it was time for toasts and left with no choice our conversation was put on pause. Nick's father gave a touching speech, welcoming Harriett into his family with open arms. Harriett's mother followed, offering words of wisdom and well wishes for a blessed life ahead.

Jewls jumped up next, snatching the mic from Harriett's teary mother before anyone denied him the chance.

"Oh, Harriett," he said, his voice light and cheery. "I guess it turns out I was right after all, doesn't it? I told you Miranda was your character from Sex and the City. And look at you now, a married hag with a baby on the way. Just like, who? Yes, that's right...just like Miranda. Now I shall present my skit!" He cocked an imaginary shotgun, yelling, "Bang, bang, bang! You'd better marry my pregnant friend," as he shot make believe bullets into the air around Nick.

Before he launched further into what promised to be an offensive speech, Lulu and I intervened, joining Jewls on the stage and confiscating his mic. I assumed Lulu would take over and deliver the perfect speech, but instead she demurred handing the microphone to me.

My mouth went dry and my throat tightened. I sucked at speeches. Weak in the knees, I stood silently shaking before the waiting crowd of guests. My mind blanked until I focused on Harriett's smile--her belly full of baby and her eyes full of love. As always, I felt comforted by my friend's presence. I took a deep breath and spoke from the heart.

"Hi everyone," I started with a crack in my voice. "Harriett, I love you. I've never seen you as radiant as tonight. You two make a gorgeous couple and I'm sure a beautiful baby, too! But more importantly you look so full of joy. You're the best friend I've ever had, kind and funny and always on my side. You're a true character and a part of my soul. I missed you. Thank you, Nick, for making my friend smile so wide. I've never seen her happier. And you know what? I've never been happier either," I said, wiping away tears of happy emotion. "It was a long walk, our journey down heartbreak road. Good riddance to the summer of lovers! I'm so proud, Harriett. You didn't settle for less than you deserve. Cheers!"

My eyes found Jack's and we smiled at one another from across the room. I thought back to all the losers in my past, the emos and trolls and liars. A wave of gratitude swelled my heart, for each rejection and humiliation I endured along the path to this moment in time.

I stepped out of the spotlight and into Jack's arms. He was worth the wait, I thought, as he offered me a fresh glass of Champagne.

"Nice toast," he said.

"Step away from the gay man," Lulu said loudly, voice like a cop. I turned to find not only Lulu, but Julian, Scotty, Harriett, and Nick, all staring at Jack and me accusingly.

I readied to defend my romance, inform them he was not gay. But before I got the chance Jack's strong arms lifted me from my feet. He kissed me passionately, my body entwined with his.

Julian's voice faded in the background, "I knew he couldn't be gay!" he said. "If he liked men he would've made me his lake-whore."

Lost in Jack's embrace I forgot about my friend's concerned faces, forgot about my diaries going public, forgot about the crowd of people around us, forgot about the loss of my fantasy life with Jaime, forgot about the future, the past, and surrendered to the perfection of the moment.

His arms acted as a shield from worry, a force field from my fears. I never got a chance that evening to tell my friends about their publication plan's success. Or to inform them that Jack was not gay. But my future held a lifetime of talks with my friends. This was Harriett's night.

All was perfect as I smiled across the dance floor. Harriett and Nick were wrapped up tight, deep in conversation. Her head dipped back in happy laughter, him kissing on her belly of promise.

Lulu flirted enthusiastically with the sexy DJ in the corner. She begged to spin a record, obviously enjoying the thrill of the hunt. A bevy of suitors waited in the wings for a chance to meet my friend.

Jewls and Scotty nuzzled as they waltzed, each looking quite smitten and in awe of one another.

"Let's go home and get naked," Jack whispered in my ear as we danced. "You can tell your friends I'm not gay tomorrow."

I laughed, realizing tucked safely inside of Jack's arms that the crazy whirlwind of the summer of lovers was in my past and my future held the sunny promise of a life filled with love. Smiling, I followed Jack out the door into the surrounding gardens. Arm-in-arm we stood, admiring the gigantic full moon.

Maybe God does have a plan, I thought, as a falling star streaked through the night sky. I closed my eyes to make a wish, but could think of nothing more to want.

Instead of wishing, I kissed Jack.

A big warm hug to all of you for reading Fag Hag!  Thank you.

Also, I am taking part in the Brigade Watty Awards, and I'll be in love with you forever for voting for Fag Hag in the contest. It is chapter 83 and here is the link:

http://my.w.tt/UiNb/io0KGX0lkv

Thank you so very much!!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro