9. A Kingdom Of Illusions.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Fantasy prompt: In a kingdom of elemental magic, you gain the ability to control all four elements through an ancient artifact. But, this newfound power comes with a price.

As soon as Jackson stepped out of the room, hooded figures surrounded Evangeline, her body bound to the altar. The room grew dim, candles flickered, and a chilling breeze filled the air as they began their eerie chant.

Slowly, her eyes fluttered shut and her writhing limbs went limp. Wind rushed past her as she fell, fell, fell down a dark abyss. When Evangeline awakened, she found herself lying across a carpet of swaying grass and dancing flowers.

An ethereal, luminescent sheen blanketed the flora that moved to the beat of a sweet, refreshing breeze. Trees rustled and leaves twirled in their descent. Birds chirped, butterflies fluttered about, and insects sang a melody of untamed nature.

Evangeline rose on unsteady feet, her gaze sweeping over the enchanting scene before her.

The ominous ritual must have been a gateway to this otherworldly domain, a realm beyond her wildest imagination. Evangeline's heart raced with awe and trepidation.

She was meant as a sacrifice, after all.

Uneasy, Evangeline ventured deeper into the realm, guided by the whispering wind. With each step she took, the ground beneath her seemed to respond to her presence. As she walked, the landscape around her shifted. Trees twisted into intricate formations, creating archways and canopies overhead. Flowers bloomed in vibrant hues, changing colors as if reflecting her emotions, while the air carried the scent of magic, further entrancing her.

She reached out to touch a nearby tree, its bark warm and alive beneath her fingertips. Intrigued, she stumbled toward a burbling stream nearby. It rippled as her hands broke its surface. It was cool and invigorating as a surge of energy coursed through her veins.

The water slowly slithered up her skin, snakes wrapping themselves around her forearm until the droplets rose in the air, flickering as they hovered atop her trembling palms.

Her eyes widened.

Slowly, the wind lifted her up while flames danced across her skin. Water hovered around her as flora rose high until they tickled her dangling feet.

Evangeline could sense her connection to the elements, their presence a harmonious dance with the forces of nature. When she flicked her wrist, the air chimed and changed direction before carrying her higher. The water exploded into a faint drizzle that sprinkled the grounds with a gentle splash.

Her fingers flickered, giving birth to a small flame atop her palm which steadily grew in size and consequently feeding her anxiety. The breeze responded to her panic, blowing harder and Evangeline yelped. A sudden bubble of water drenched her whole, extinguishing the fire and causing her to lose focus.

With a groan, Evangeline tumbled to the ground in a messy heap before she collected herself, glancing around with furrowed brows.

This was a realm of enchantment, a mystical kingdom brimming with elemental magic. But, what was the significance of this place? Why had she been brought here? And why was she able to control the four elements?

Determined, she pressed forward until she stumbled upon a small clearing bathed in a gentle glow. In the center, nestled among the foliage, lay the artifacts she had collected. An elevated pedestal in the middle had the orbs she'd risked her life for. They were embedded in a bigger skull, red and menacing.

Realization dawned on her. They held the key to her sudden powers and purpose here. As soon as her hands touched them, however, a jolt of energy and pain resonated within her and expanded until it enveloped her whole then burst with her scream to give way to utter barrenness and bleakness.

The lands were drained of all signs of life. The trees were bare, bleeding tears of endless carnage into the corrupt water of a once lively stream now a swamp, foul and inert. The plants withered away, shrinking until they turned to scattered ash of dull petals under the raging flames that devoured everything in its path. The wind howled, feeding the fire and turning it into a raging monster.

Whispers bounced around the dead space, piercing her ears as they grew in volume and turned to haunting screams.

Evangeline heaved for air, her heart wild and eyes wide. Scrambling to her feet, she bolted through the woods.

"Where are you going, my dear Evangeline?" A voice cackled. It belonged to Tiamat. "Run, my sweet vessel. Run all you want. Fear adds nothing but juiciness to my scrumptious prey."

Evangeline whipped to the left, where the sound came. When she found no one, her speed increased.

"Did you like the powers of the elements? They belonged to my children, every clan that used to worship me. Did you enjoy the small demonstration of my limitless power?"

Evangeline turned to the right this time. Yet, again, there was nothing but dense fog and a foul smell. "Show yourself, you fucking coward!" She yelled, having had enough of Tiamat's games.

"Oh, but I can't just yet." The voice returned with a loud echo. "You only need to embrace those powers, Angie," Tiamat taunted. "Then, you and I will be one. Your body will be mine. Your soul will make us stronger."

Evangeline found herself stuck, unable to lift her legs as she sank, sank, sank into the ground. Earth swallowed her whole as her new powers slowly consumed her soul. It felt like a relentless fire devouring her essence, setting her resistance aflame. She flailed her arms, fighting tidal waves of chaos while being submerged in suffocating waters. The wind tore at her existence, scattering what little remained of her spirit.

Evangeline was getting buried beneath the weight of Tiamat's presence - felt but seldom seen.

She struggled to maintain her sense of self as the power threatened to consume her completely. Whispers and echoes of Tiamat's desires crept into her mind. The temptation to surrender grew stronger with each passing moment.

Yet, deep within her, a flicker of defiance remained. She refused to succumb to the darkness and become a vessel for the ancient chaos.

Word count: 1000.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro