1 | THE BLIND BANKER

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

In the world we live in, there are many wolves who prowl around, licking their paws, tasting their past prey, and anticipating for the next sheep they're gonna stumble on. Some wolves attack as soon as they see their prey, biting in and enjoying the kill. Some others wait till the sheep is feeling safe, not suspecting the upcoming attack before they dive in and kill.

Of course, there's another group. The ones that will come forward, charm you with their disarming smiles and meaningless compliments, and befriend you, to the point that you would consider them your greatest friend and share all your secrets. And then, when they think they're safe, that their friend is in no way a threat to them, that's when they find themselves at a loss. Everything they ever held dear is now gone and in the hands of their friend, a friend who there is no trace of. A nameless man, a ghost.

The last group is not what you would find in the animal kingdom, most animals know when they're in the company of a predator, and with nothing but their instincts to guide them, they flee. Humans often ignore these feelings, the feeling of unease. They prefer to gloat in the compliments and surrender themselves with people like them. They're ignorant of the nature of humans, how they're built to lie, deceive, and betray.

Some are aware but prefer to ignore these in hopes of never being betrayed, of having happy friendships and relationships. They'll turn a blind eye to the wrongdoings of their friends believing this way they won't be left behind, forgotten. All of this, of course, is in vain, for when the wolf is done eating he has no reason to stick around and risk the guard dog or the chaperone to find him. He'll flee into the woods, somewhere no one can find him until he finds his next prey.

In society, they're called con-men. Nick Cooper was once in the last category, using knowledge of his prey's interest to get close and then leave them with nothing. It supplied him with enough money to last for a lifetime and more, and he shared quite a lot with his beloved sister, Yasmine, but he always had more and more. If you asked some, they would call it addiction while some would call it being greedy, never satisfied with the money. Nick would call it a bit of both. The thrill of a new prey was intoxicating, to fabricate a new mask based on someone else, using his forgery skills to craft identities to match the masks, and the big reward at the end was everything to him.

He usually never looked back at the destruction he left behind, mostly looking forward to buying something new, sending his sister some money, and planning his next attack. Sometimes, on rare occasions, he would look back and be left shaken at what he had done. Of the lives he had destroyed. Sometimes he would move on, convincing himself it was nothing, that they would deal with it and learn not to trust anyone they stumbled upon easily. Other times, he would drink himself unconscious.

But after years of being a Con-man, it became too much. Too many lives were destroyed, too much damage was done to people who didn't deserve it, and too much guilt. He made amends, left money for those more in need of it, donated a large sum to charities, and then moved from America to The United Kingdom.

It wasn't easy to move, he had the whole police on his back, breathing down his neck waiting for him to mess up so they could slap some cuffs on him and arrest him. He crafted a new identity, the last one to be made, and moved without a second glance. His sister was assured that he would be fine in a new place, and not to be worried. He promised he would visit or maybe she could visit. He didn't tell her how unlikely it would be for him to go back to his homeland, how he couldn't keep his promise.

Once he was in London, his new home, he made arrangements for a furnished house, erased any trace of his last mask, and started living as Nick Cooper for the first time in years. He got a job in the National Antiques Museum, his love and talent allowed him to be useful and he was immediately employed.

London was a gloomy city, it was more often than not raining and cold, leaving her residents depressed from the lack of sun. But every once in a while, if she was feeling good, it would be hotter than usual and people would run out to enjoy the small opportunity they had to get some sun.

For Nick, who lived in the hotter parts of America, getting adjusted to the cooler weather was a struggle. What the locals would call a more acceptable weather was still cool for Nick, so while some would roam the streets without their coats Nick still had an extra layer of clothing on him.

"It's freezing," Nick offered when he entered the museum. Some of his colleagues shook their heads with a small chuckle, used to Nick complaining about the weather every time he entered the workplace.

Soo Lin Yao's laugh was a bit louder than the others, or maybe Nick only paid attention to hers so the other ones didn't even register to him, "What happened to being Mr. Tough?"

When he landed himself a job at the National Antiques Museum, he found himself becoming fast friends with the Chinese woman, both their love for fine crafts and arts made them converse easily at work, and then after a while, outside of it. After months, it was now a small tradition they had every weekend, going out for a drink or a bite, staying in, and watching movies, and eating ice cream.

"I'm still Mr. Tough," Nick puffed his chest out with an arrogant grin making his friend giggle while mockingly nodding in approval, "But I have my weaknesses," He leaned in as if to share a secret, "My worst enemy is the cold."

Soo Lin smiled, "Well, then I have to shoulder the burden of eating all those ice creams!"

"Not my ice cream!"

Working in this environment with friends, people who knew him as him without any mask or lies, was a new experience. It took him some time to get used to just being Nick Cooper and not some made-up allies, but becoming friends with Soo Lin helped. For the first time in years, he had a true friend.

Soo Lin laughed before getting up and then gathering her stuff, "I have to leave, but I'll see you after I'm done."

Nick waved her off, "Yeah, sure. Now go before they fire me for distracting you," He then made shooing gestures and waited until she left before turning to his own work, "Now, let's see what masterpiece is in front of me."

Soo Lin used some 400-year-old clay pots to make tea for the visitors, it was very relaxing in Nick's and some of the visitor's opinions, and sometimes if he had the time he would go along with her tour. This time was no different. Nick didn't make it in time, but when he got there he saw Soo Lin and another of their colleagues, Andy Galbraith, talking.

She was holding one of the pots delicately, "This one shines a little brighter."

Andy looked at her nervously, still not noticing Nick who decided he didn't want to interrupt whatever this is and was leaning against a wall beside the door. "I don't suppose... Um, I mean... I don't suppose that you want to have a drink? Not tea, obviously. Um, in a pub, with me, tonight."

Soo Lin looked at him over her shoulders before turning her attention back to the clay pots, "You wouldn't like me all that much."

Andy cleared his throat, "Can I maybe decide that for myself?"

"I can't," Soo Lin said and closed the case where the pots were placed, "I'm sorry. Please stop asking."

Nick watched as Andy nodded sadly and walked towards the door, throwing a small smile at Nick when he passed by him.

"He's a nice guy," Nick offered as he stood next to Soo Lin, waiting for her to pick up her bag so they could leave, "Wouldn't hurt to give him a chance."

She picked up her bag but didn't wear her jacket, and smiled at him like he was obvious to the glaring problem, "It wouldn't have worked."

He stared into her eyes like he was searching, and she looked back fiercely. Nick blinked before he shrugged, "Okay. Walk you home?"

Soo Lin shook her head, "No, I have some work to do. You go, I'll text you when I get home."

Nick smiled and walked away, "See ya!"

Nick knew something was wrong when he didn't get a text from Soo Lin.

He stayed up till 2 am, checking his phone and blowing up hers with texts and calls, all of which were unanswered. He tried to reason with himself, maybe her phone's off, had a low battery and it turned off. But no matter what, he couldn't get some sleep.

The next day he showed up at work like normal, still freezing and if it was a normal day he would've started the day with a complaint but the first thing he asked the security was if they've seen Soo Lin or not. The no he got didn't ease the bad feeling he had.

The rest of the day went by without hearing neither hide nor hair of her.

It was near the end of the day when he finally got some answers.

Soo Lin had resigned.

He was looking over a newly bought piece when Andy ran in like he was being chased and gave Nick the news.

Nick didn't want to waste any time so he grabbed his coat and things and urged Andy to walk faster.

He didn't go to her house the night before because he didn't want to intrude. They are friends, yes but friends still have boundaries that need to be respected. Like showing up at the other's house unannounced at midnight. But after what Andy told him, he said fuck boundaries.

It wasn't surprising when she didn't answer. he rang the bell several times before giving up and looking at Andy helplessly.

"Now what?" He asked Andy.

He took out a paper from his pocket and hastily wrote down something on it and slid it under the door, "She might take a look at that?"

Nick sighed, worried for his friend but he did what he did best, putting on a mask.

Andy looked worried and creeped out by Nick's smile and the smile he gave back was more confused.

"Come on, let's head back."

"But what about Soo Lin?"

Nick huffed, "Have you seen Soo Lin? She's tougher than anyone I know and I know lots of people. She'll be fine and she'll get in contact with us when she feels like it, don't worry."

The next day, Andy snooping around and talking to their head wasn't an unusual sight. The woman finally got tired of him and from what Nick overheard, said something about unwanted attention.

While Nick himself was also worried, he thought the boy's crush was a bit... too much.

Nick wondered to himself as he walked to where Soo Lin lived after an early escape from work. A work, which Nick found out, wasn't as fun when his only friend was missing.

When he went to the nearest station to report her missing, he was informed in the events that a healthy adult goes missing with no note and no threat to their life, the police has to wait 72 hours before doing anything.

"Well, what if the person only has 72 hours to live?" Nick asked the officer, who only repeated his answer and then asked Nick to leave and come back after the 72 hours.

Her place didn't seem to have been disturbed since the last time he'd been there. Everything as it used to be, Well, he had no idea about the inside but the outside didn't look any different.

Except for the two people standing outside and looking at it like it was a mystery.

One of them bent down to look at the package in front of Soo Lin's door while the other one was looking at him and waiting.

"It's been here since Monday," Black curls said softly and got back up.

"Hello!" Nick said cheerfully making them turn towards him, the taller one looked at him up and down and turned away while the shorter one's look screamed threat assessment.

Army.

"Yes, hi," Nick continued after a pause, "Can I help you?"

"Do you live here?" Cheekbones asked, giving him a brief glance.

"No, but it's my friend's place," Nick looked between the two, "Can I help you with anything?"

"American, interesting," Cheekbones hummed before ringing the door.

"She's not home."

"How are you sure?" The short one with sandy hair said, looking rather confused with the whole thing.

So Cheekbones was the Regina Goerge of their little duo.

"Because no one's been in that flat for at least three days," Cheekbones said and then went to the ally by the house, pausing briefly to ask Nick if he had the keys, and then continued to do whatever he wanted to do after cheerful 'no'.

"They could be on a holiday?"

"Nope," Nick answered, "I would've known."

"Do you leave your windows open when you go on a holiday?"

He jumped and got a hold of the fire escape, hauled himself up and entered Soo Lin's house.

"That's breaking and entering!" Nick told Cheekbones but was paid no attention.

Sandy sighed, "Sorry about him, he does that. Be glad he hasn't read you yet."

"It's okay, you don't have to apologize for your boyfriend."

"He's," Sandy went red and splattered, "He's not my boyfriend."

"Husband?"

"No!"

"Ah, my mistake. Your partner in crime."

"We're just- actually that last one is perfectly accurate."

Nick laughed and offered his hand, "Nick Cooper."

"John Watson, and that," He points to where the other one had gone, "is Sherlock Holmes."

Nick nodded before gestured for John to follow him, "I think we should try the front door now."

"Good thinking," John said and followers the American.

When they got in front of the door, John rang the bell and spoke loudly, "See if you can let me in this time."

No response from Sherlock.

John looked at Nick but only got a grin and shrug in return.

He sighed before he opened the hatch in the door and bent down to speak in it, "Can you not keep doing this please?"

"I'm not the first," Sherlock yelled.

"What?" John asked moving slightly over to let Nick bend down next to him.

"Somebody's been here before me," Sherlock clarified and then went quiet.

what did you say," John asked and then looked at Nick, "What did he say?"

"Something about not being the first?" Nick hummed, "Is that a code or a British slang I'm missing?"

"No he's just being an ass," John huffed earning a laugh from Nick. He gave the man a small smile before ringing the bell again and then became frustrated when no one answered, "I'm wasting my breath."

"Maybe he's gone deaf?" Nick suggested.

"Then he needs to make an appointment or better yet let me check him."

Nick made a sound between an 'oh' and 'aw', "Army doctor then, good to know."

John stopped ringing and turned to look at him bewildered, "I'm sorry, what?"

"What?" Nick asked confused. Had he said something wrong?"

"How did you know I was in the army?" John interrogated him.

Nick shrugged and looked at Soo Lin's windows, like he was hoping to catch a glimpse of what was happening inside, "When I first approached you, you did a threat assessment. I've also been around army men so I know the way they hold themselves, ergo, army."

John looked at him before sighing, "Bloody hell, there's two of him."

"Hm?"

Deciding he was done with the conversation, John once again spoke in the hatch, "Anytime you want to include me."

Fed up, John moved away and started talking to himself, "No, I'm sherlock holmes and I always work alone because no one can compete with my massive intellect!" The last words were spat out.

Nick got the feeling this isn't the first time Sherlock has done this.

John checked his clock and then looked at Nick, "I regret meeting him so much sometimes."

The ex-con smiled, "But you still stick around."

"Yeah, I don't know why I do that," John grumbled like an angry puppy.

No matter how angry, still adorable.

Right after, the door opened and Sherlock came out. He looked more frazzled than when he had first met him and when he spoke he sounded hoarse, "The milk's out of date. And the washing - it's started to smell. Someone left here in a hurry, three days ago."

"Your friend?" John asks and looks at Nick.

Nick nods, "Soo Lin Yao. We work together at the NAM."

"We need to find her," Sherlock says picks up the note Nick and Andy had left.

"You sound croaky. Are you getting a cold?" John asked Sherlock with a worried look.

Nick would comment on him being worried about his 'boyfriend' but he knew when to joke and when to not.

Sherlock waved him off, "It's nothing," and coughed.

"Would you mind if I joined you?" Nick said making the two turn to him.

"Sure."

"Yes."

John and Sherlock replied at the same time but with different tones. While Jon's was more open and an invitation for him to join them, Sherlock's was more cold and screamed 'I mind you joining us because I don't like you'. Nick could respect that, but his friend was missing and they seemed to be investigating something related to her.

John glared at Sherlock and hissed his name, the only reaction was Sherlock rolling his eyes and saying a curt "Fine" like a bratty child.

Nick Cooper wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so with a grin, he started following the two the Natural Antiques Museum.

And that's the start of Nicholas Tobias Cooper's adventures with Sherlock Holmes and John Watson.

Welcome everyone!
I've been so excited to finally do this book jakakaka

This is a 3k chapter which wow, the longest first chapter I've ever written. I think each episode will be separated into 2 or 3 chapters based on stuff.

Also the wait time is 48 hours but I changed it bc I can.

UwU

HOPE YALL HAVE A GREAT [whatever the time is in your place]!
STAY HYDRATED OR ELSE uwu ♥︎

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro