01 • W A V E R L Y • 📖

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I caught my mom pinching my dad's butt in the kitchen. Like, yay my parents still like each other, but I'd rather not see them grope each other like two hormonal teenagers.

"There are children present," I said, pointing at Bryce who was at the table, too engrossed in some YouTube video on his phone to even notice.

They separated, Dad grabbing a carton of eggs from the fridge while Mom poked at some bacon in the frying pan with a fork.

It was a typical Tuesday morning for us. Everyone still in their pajamas as Mom and Dad prepared breakfast. The four of us sitting down to enjoy the meal and catch up before running off to do our own thing.

Since it was summer that meant Mom had weddings to plan (summer was her busiest season), Bryce had video games to play, Dad had summer classes to teach and I had a stack of books to read.

"I've read some of those books you're so obsessed with," Mom said, flipping bacon while Dad cracked eggs in a skillet. "Those teenagers do a lot more than what we were doing, I know that."

I grabbed plates from the cabinet to set the table. "Yeah, but those teenagers aren't my parents."

They shared a look, laughing.

"And, since we're on the topic of books," I started, pushing my glasses up my nose. My parents groaned like I just announced a homework assignment. Maybe they were more like teenagers than I thought.

"Didn't we just buy you a book?" Mom asked, adding more bacon to one pan while Dad scrambled eggs in another.

"Yes," I answered. "And now I need it signed."

"Alright, hand me a sharpie."

"Dad!" I fought back a laugh. "There's a book festival in Santa Monica this weekend and a bunch of my favorite authors will be there. Can I go?"

Mom looked at me, brows raised, disappearing beneath her two strand twists. "And how do you plan on getting there?"

"I am a licensed driver," I reminded them.

"You've had your license for two months," Dad said. "Besides, that's a three hour drive."

"Clearly, you've never driven in the car with her," Mom cut in. "She can probably cut that down to an hour and a half with that lead foot of hers."

"I don't speed."

Dad dumped eggs onto a large glass plate then set it in the middle of the table next to the plate of banana pancakes, followed by mom and her plate of bacon.

I'd momentarily forgotten about the book signing, distracted by the aroma of breakfast and the growling of my stomach.

"I'll drive you," Dad offered as he took his seat at the head of the table. "We'll make a day if it. Our last father-daughter day before your mom steals you away for the summer."

What did that mean? I looked up at mom for answers.

"Clay!" She swatted his shoulder, then plucked Bryce's phone from his hands in one swift move.

My little brother blinked, re-entering reality.

Dad winced, acting like that small hit actually hurt. "Sorry, I forgot."

"Forgot what? What are you talking about?"

Bryce, now alert and present in the real world, answered my question before Mom could. "You're planning weddings with mom while dad and I go visit Grandpa Ty." He began piling food onto his plate as if he hadn't just dropped a bomb on my entire summer.

Books aside, I had plans for the summer. Those plans didn't include running errands as my mother's unpaid assistant.

I looked to Mom who was now settling into her seat beside Dad. "What is he talking about?"

She gave Dad one last dirty look before turning back to me. "With Eva on maternity leave I thought maybe you could take her place. I only have one wedding this season, but it's short notice. I don't have time to train a new assistant and since you already know how I like to do things-I thought it be fun. Just us girls."

The hopeful glint in her eyes made it harder to turn down her offer. "Me, Naomi and Theo already have plans for the summer."

It was our last summer before we had to get serious about our futures. Everyone had told us junior year would be the toughest year of our high school careers. That's why we made a plan to have a summer filled with new, crazy adventures. To check off some bucket list items before we forgot and lived to regret it.

My main goal of the summer couldn't be completed if I was knee deep in flower arrangements.

"Well," Mom said, trying-and failing-to hide her disappointment behind a mug of tea. My stomach knotted. "You can't stay here by yourself all summer. The wedding takes place in Burbank and the client wants me close by in case anything goes wrong."

"And you can't come with us," Bryce chimed in, narrowing his eyes at me. "Boys only."

Fine by me. Spending the summer with Grandpa Ty wasn't ideal. He was the outdoorsy type and I wasn't up for catching and scaling my own dinner.

"I'm sure Mr. Alvarez won't mind me staying with them." Naomi's dad was hardly home as it was, so it wasn't like he'd even notice a fourth kid in his house.

"I'll call up Rob, just to make sure," Dad said.

Bryce grinned at his breakfast, happy that his all boy summer was still intact. I shoved a large bit of pancakes into my mouth, keeping my eyes on my food and not on Mom.

• • •

After breakfast I sent a text to Naomi to run the idea of a three month long sleep over past her. Three texts, not one reply.

Before sending a fourth text I remembered she had a job that summer. She was probably at the clothing store folding and organizing shirts with cringy saying on them right at that moment.

I borrowed the keys to Dad's car and headed to the mall. It was before noon but the mall was packed. Shoppers looking for new shoes or purses or jewelry flooded the place.

On the drive over I thought about ways to tackle our summer goals. There was one main goal I wanted to accomplish: Theo Harewood.

As cliche as it was, I've had a crush on my bestfriend. The feelings came out of nowhere. One day he was my goofy neighbor who hadn't grown into his ears. Next he was a very attractive member of the male species.

Naomi promised she'd help me come up with the perfect way to tell him. And I could use all the help I could get. When it came to boys, I was a complete mess.

Even with Theo, who I've known for almost eight years, I still managed to get tongue tied. It was a problem and the reason I've only ever had one boyfriend in my life.

Maybe Theo could be number two?

The store Naomi worked at was just past what the food court. I ignored the sweet smell of doughnuts and headed into the small clothing store.

Every ounce of excitement I had was sucked from the moment my eyes landed on them.

The way his arm was casually wrapped around her waist. The way she acted embarrassed but still leaned into him. The blink-and-you'll-miss-it kiss. My brain couldn't make sense of what was happening. Because what was happening couldn't actually be happening.

Naomi couldn't be with Theo because she knew that I liked him. We talked about it last night on the phone. But the longer I stared the more obvious it became that it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me. My two best friends were together. Secretly together.

My legs carried me to them, despite the ache in my chest and the urge to run out if there. "Hey!" My voice sounded too loud in my own ears.

Naomi gasped, pushing Theo away. "Waverly! Hi!" Her big brown eyes ping ponged between me and Theo.

Theo cleared his throat. "Wave, we were going to tell you," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "We just wanted to make sure there was anything to tell first."

Naomi opened her mouth to say something, but it just hung open. Silent. Good.

"This is perfect, actually," I said, pushing my glasses up the bridge of my nose. My mouth seemed to be on autopilot. Stuck in the role of supportive best friend while the rest of me tried to figure out how Naomi could've done this.

"It is?" Naomi said, regaining her ability to speak.

I nodded. Smiled. "Yeah, while you two are here trying to figure out-," my hands made this weird gesture between them. "-this, I'll be working with my mom in Burbank. So, you won't have to worry about a third wheel ruining the mood of your dates."

Theo smiled, relieved. "See, I told you she'd understand," he said, nudging Naomi with his elbow. She stiffened, taking a step away from him. "And just know, if this becomes a thing, you'd never be a third wheel. It'll be exactly as it was before. The three amigos!"

Sure, everything will be the same. Except I'd have a giant knife in my back.

He grinned. Oblivious to the tension building between Naomi and I. She couldn't even meet my eye.

"This is great!" Was I still smiling? My cheeks began to hurt. If I looked like a deranged clown, they said nothing. "I don't know how I didn't see this coming. You two are actually kind of cute together."

They did look nice standing next to each other. Like an actual couple. Theo and I had been mistaken for siblings more than once with our light brown skin and curly hair. He wouldn't have that issue standing next to a petite Latina.

"Anyways," I said before the silence got too awkward. "I just wanted to stop by to see how your first day of work was going."

"It's...great?" Naomi said, sounding unsure. I think my smiling was starting to freak her out. It was freaking me out, but it was frozen on my face.

"Great!" I glanced down at the shirts displayed on the table between us, grabbing the first large shirt I saw. "I'm gonna go buy this."

"You don't-"

"No, it's fine," I said, waving her off. "As your best friend it's my job to support you."

Theo snapped his fingers, then pointed at me. "That's a good idea. I saw a shirt I like earlier," he mumbled to himself as he walked to the back of the store.

Once his back was turned I felt my face relax. "Was this going on while you were helping me with telling him how I felt."

Her chin quivered, something it did when she tried not to cry. "I'm so sorry."

The knife twisted. Not only had she been keeping secrets, but she also let me sit there going on and on about dating Theo when she already had him. What kind of friend did that?

"You get paid on commission, right?" Theo asked, staring down at the shirts in his arms. There had to be like five.

While Naomi explained to him that they didn't do commissions, I snuck over to register to pay for my shirt.

When I was back in my car I realized I'd spent fifteen dollars on a shirt that said "Donut Worry". The universe was hilarious.

//

Hi! Hello!

Finally a new(ish) story! If you've been here a while then you know I've tried writing Waverly's and Stephen's story a few times.

I feel good about this attempt thought. I think I've found *their* story.

*fingers crossed*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro