01 | unknown love

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"His heart began to pound in his chest at the sight of her, and he knew from that day that she was his soulmate."

— Forbidden Love

CHAPTER ONE

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

The longer Marinette continued to stare at the stone wall, the more she wished it would simply vanish into thin air.

It was such a pest.

The structure itself really had no purpose. It stretched out from the left to the right as far as the eye could see, and all it did was separate the forest in half. The forest itself was huge, expanding so far it was practically impossible to measure.

She wanted to explore it all. But, of course, the wall had different plans. It was a frustrating obstacle that she was so eager, determined, and she believed, even destined to overcome.

With the purposeless structure in her way, Marinette found herself curious as to what lied on the other side.

Well, she had always been curious. For years in fact. But she was never allowed to act out on her curiosity.

Of course, there was always the option of climbing over it– this she had often thought of. But if she did decide to climb over, there wouldn't be a way for her to make it back over on her own. The wall was too tall, at least eight feet, and it wasn't as if she was a skilled rock climber.

Marinette scowled at the stone wall in and stubbornly folded her arms across her chest. Despite her frustration, she was unwilling to accept defeat. There just had to be some way to get over the wall on her own, and explore the world beyond it. She huffed and drew nearer to the wall, looking up as it towered over her by a few extra feet. If only she were taller, like a massive giant, then perhaps she could have pulled herself over with ease.

She stomped her foot in the dirt. Blast this stupid wall!

Aggravation suddenly took over her entire being, and in one swift motion, Marinette surged forwards and kicked the wall with all of her might.

That, however, was not the brightest idea.

The hard force of her foot colliding with stone caused a dreadful amount of pain to surface. Marinette suddenly clutched her foot in agony and cursed the air. What a terribly stupid idea.

Why had she done that?

Stupid, stupid wall.

The stupid wall was causing her to make stupid decisions.

If only it wasn't there. If only she had the free will to do as she pleased and see the other side.

From what she'd heard over the years, there were many tall tales about this so called "Forbidden Forest", and what lied on the other side of the wall. Legends say that a lonesome lumberjack who'd found himself making profit in the "new land", built the wall centuries ago, when he realized the dangers that could inflict the rest of humanity. Legends also say that mythical and severely dangerous creatures live on the other side, and that the wall holds magical qualities in order to maintain the barrier that splits their two worlds and keeps them apart.

Pathetic, is what she wanted to say whenever she listened to the elders tell stories like that to the children.

How stupid did they think she was?

A wall that held magical powers and forbade magical creatures from crossing onto their side? How did anyone know that these so called "creatures" were so dangerous if no one had ever seen one before?

No one even knew if the man who'd built the wall centuries ago had been telling the truth. It was impossible to even know if he existed, considering his tombstone was never found.

Maybe the wall wasn't magical.

Maybe it was haunted instead.

Despite whatever it was, it was now labeled as a federal law that no one was allowed to cross over the wall and into the Forbidden Forest. Because of these so called "dangerous creatures" that the legends warned of, it was forbidden. But how would anyone know any different if everyone was too afraid to find out the truth for themselves?

Marinette sighed as she set her basket down on the ground and lowered herself into a seating position, resting her back against the stone wall. All she wanted was a little bit more of adventure– she didn't care where. Just someplace, or something, or someone, that could bring a little more excitement into her life.

Marinette was exhausted with the life she had. She repeated her everyday routine over and over again like there was nothing else to look forward to, and it was tiring. Not only was Marinette's aunt the strictest woman to ever live on the face of the planet, but the woman was also determined to marry off her niece to some handsome bachelor.

And that was the last thing Marinette wanted.

If she absolutely had no other choice but to marry, Marinette wanted to marry someone for love.

Not just because her aunt forced her into the marriage.

Besides, if Marinette were to ever consider marrying (and that was a big if), she wanted her husband to love her for who she was, not have him marry a woman he barely knew.

That wouldn't be love.

That would be acceptance.

And those were two very completely different things. None in which are the same in any way.

The sound of the church bells ringing loudly throughout the town and forest jolted her, and Marinette quickly stood to her feet the moment the sound reached her ears. Immediately, she recognized that the bell signaled the time for the grand ball had arrived.

Shoot! And she technically wasn't even supposed to be out here. Her aunt would be wondering where she had run off to.

Standing to her feet and brushing off all the leaves that had stuck to the fabric of her dress, Marinette retrieved her basket and slid her arm underneath the handle. She stepped away from the wall– her plan to make it back to her room before her aunt could notice she was missing. But she hesitated, and paused to look back over her shoulder at the wall, longing for some way to get over it. With a defeated sigh, she turned back around and continued to head down the path that would lead her back into town.

But little did she know that two, curious, green eyes watched her from behind as she retreated back to civilization.

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

"Marinette! Where on earth have you been?" Her aunt immediately scolded her the moment she entered through the front door of their manor, her basket resting on her forearm.

"I did tell you before I left," Marinette said as she passed her aunt and headed for the dining room, removing her basket from her arm to set it out on the table. "I went out to treat myself to a picnic."

Her aunt was on her heel as she followed her into the kitchen, her lips pulled into a frown. "A picnic? You never mentioned anything of the sort."

Marinette did her very best not to roll her eyes. This was a response she had been expecting, after all. "Of course I did! Perhaps you did not hear me? Or maybe you chose not to hear me, hm? I have learned over the years to not expect much from you, Aunty."

The old grouch of a woman scowled, "Shut your blabbering trap and head upstairs, child. We are meant to leave for the ball in a few minutes and you are not even dressed!"

Marinette waved a dismissive hand at that. "I can be dressed faster than the blink of an eye!" She began her ascend up the staircase, hardly caring that her aunt wasn't finished speaking with her. As she neared the bedrooms, she could hear the distant rise in her aunt's voice, which was most likely her aunt throwing a little fit and saying unpleasant things about her.

It didn't take a genius to figure out that her aunt despised her. Marinette could say the feeling was mutual.

Marinette pushed open her bedroom door, just in time to catch her younger sister twirl in her brand new ball gown in front of the long, body mirror. The little girl turned to face her sister with glee, and she smiled brightly, "How does it look?"

Her youngest sister, Emily, was the brightest little girl. She was only seven years of age and had such an incredible vocabulary, which Marinette gave herself all the credit for. Emily was the only sibling out of them all who had blonde, curly locks and hazel eyes.

She took after their father.

But she was a beauty nonetheless.

Despite how much Marinette hated the idea of balls, or gowns in general, she forced herself to smile as she watched her youngest sister twirl over and over again. "Oh my, it looks wonderful on you!"

"You really think so?"

"Oh yes!" Marinette faked a gasp, but the smile that spread across her lips was nothing but genuine. "You look beautiful, Emmy."

The little girl giggled and curtsied. "Thank you."

As little Emily went back to twirling in front of the mirror, Marinette dragged her feet onward towards her wardrobe. Painfully opening it up, her eyes landed on the dress that her dearest aunty had demanded she wear for this event.

"It will help me get you a husband faster." Her aunt had said, unamused like always as she held the dress up against Marinette's body. "Any man would adore it."

Marinette rolled her eyes. Adore... that was a strong word.

The dress in particular had been on display in the front, and as soon as Aunt had spotted it in the markets, Marinette knew she'd be done for. The price for the dress had been a discount as well, which their aunt considered as mana from heaven.

But there was a reason why the dress had been on sale.

It was hideous.

Marinette grumbled to herself and removed the dress from its hanger. The dress itself wasn't necessarily ugly to a point where it was unwearable, but it wasn't something she would ever care to wear. Plus, Marinette didn't have time to spare to impress men.

She had better things to do with her time. She had dreams she wanted to make reality. She had goals she wanted to achieve.

And having a husband would only hold her back.

Since Emily was currently in her bedroom, too preoccupied with her reflection in the mirror, Marinette decided to head to the washroom to change. As she exited her bedroom and began to head down the hall, she heard Emily shout after her. "You might want to hurry, sister! Aunt was determined to leave as soon as possible!"

Marinette rolled her eyes to that. If anything, she would try to prolong their departure as much as possible. And if she could prevent them from not going to the ball at all, even better. She didn't bother to respond as she arrived in front of the washroom door.

It was closed. So, Marinette knocked.

A muffled voice echoed through the wooden mass shortly afterwards. "I am hiding in here! Go away!"

Marinette snickered and shook her head, placing a hand on her hip. She couldn't help but grin from ear to ear.

"Come on, Krissy-Missy," Marinette teased as she tapped her knuckles lightly against the door once again. "You know you cannot avoid Aunt and her ridiculous balls forever."

Krissy didn't share her older sister's sense of humor, however, and let out a loud, unladylike groan. "Do not call me that, Marinette. You know how much I hate that nickname."

Marinette snickered.

But she was the master at nicknames.

"Fine. How about Sissy-Krissy?"

"Can you not?"

"Or better yet, Kriss-cheese. Get it? Cause like, Swiss cheese—"

"Absolutely not."

"Kriss-Abyss?"

"No."

"Oh! I got it! Fishy-Krissy!"

The door opened a second later, revealing a very agitated looking Krissy. "If you do not stop with those dreadful nicknames—"

"All right, all right," Marinette's smile didn't waver as she held up her hands.
"But one of these days, I am going to find the right nickname for you."

"Please, just save yourself the trouble and do not."

Marinette lightly laughed at that. Krissy was the only one in the house who was without a nickname.

"Fine, I will stop. For now." Marinette lowered her hands and let them fall at her side again, the dress she was meant to put on still draped over her shoulder. "It is pointless to hide, you know. Aunt would make you go nonetheless, even if she had to drag you out by the ends of your hair."

Krissy's frown deepened, and silence followed afterwards. Marinette tried her hardest not to frown as well. She wasn't the only one who despised the balls they were forced to attend. Krissy was the third eldest sister of the manor who was only fifteen years of age. She had dark brown hair that reached the middle of her back and blue-bell eyes similar to Marinette's.

Krissy sighed, looking down at her shoes. "As much as it pains me to say it, you are right. But I really wish I did not have to attend."

"I know exactly how you feel." Marinette muttered. The fact that they would all one day be forced to marry someone they did not love was a sickening thought.

Krissy hummed, though it sounded distant. "But, unlike you, sister, I am not avoiding a husband."

"Oh please, Krissy, spare me the lecture—"

"You need to quit being so childish and just accept that this life is our purpose," Krissy lifted an eyebrow when Marinette groaned. "You cannot change your purpose."

"Oh yeah? Watch me."

"Marinette, you are stubborn. One day that stubbornness is going to backfire on you."

"Or maybe being stubborn will change this world," Marinette folded her arms. "Do you not want things to change?"

"You know I do."

"So then, why not fight for it?"

Krissy sighed, defeated, and leaned against the door, pushing it open wider with her body so that she could step out and allow Marinette to step in. "Because we will never win that battle. I may not like the idea, but if Aunt says I am to marry, I will."

Marinette spun around on her heel to watch as her sister began to walk away. The ravenette scrunched up her nose in disgust. "Why is it that everyone in this household is so fearful of Aunt?"

"Who said anything about fear?"

"You do not have to!" Marinette argued stubbornly, "You do not even have to show it. But you are."

"Afraid?" Krissy huffed out a laugh, looking back over her shoulder at her sister. "Of what?"

"I am not sure. Being alone? Failing? Disappointing Aunt?"

Krissy frowned at that. "You can call it whatever you want, sister, but all I feel is that it is my scared responsibility to be obedient. And part of being obedient is getting married– like Aunt wants."

"Who cares what she wants! You are your own person, Krissy!"

"I am not my own person until I leave this dreadful manor, and even then I will still belong to someone else. My husband."

"You should be allowed to decide who you want to marry, or if you want to marry at all!"

"You and I both know it does not work that way, Marinette." Krissy deadpanned as she turned back around and continued down the hall to her room. "Do not be foolish. Unfortunately, we do not get to make our own rules."

Marinette crossed her arms across her chest and frowned, "Maybe not, but rules are meant to be broken."

Krissy just shook her head, not looking back. "Not in this century, Marinette. Not in this century."

Let's just assume for the moment that I don't have a life since I'm starting another MLB fan-fiction. I have no shame for this decision.

Vote?
Comment?
Share?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro