~ 36 ~ Visiting Hours

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Lenesa and the bookkeeper parted ways shortly after passing through the gate. She had work to do, and it was dangerous for him to be with her. It put her heart slightly more at ease as she watched him disappear around the bend of a street, with no one the wiser of the part he had just played in helping a witch into the city.

Her attention was interrupted by a group of children running past, whooping and laughing at their newfound freedom after having been let out of school for the day. One of the children got too close and bumped into her, knocking the book with the list of names out of her basket.

"Sorry!" The boy bent to pick up the book, but froze when he looked up to hand it to her.

Lenesa stiffened. Could he see up under her hat, from his low vantage point? Though fear was urging her to run, she forced a smile instead.

"Thank you," she said, holding out a hand for the book.

Looking a bit frightened, the boy wordlessly handed it to her, then took off running to catch up to his friends. Lenesa turned away and rounded a corner before he could do so, forcing her shaky nerves aside and focusing on the task at hand.

The first name on the list was a regular of hers, Garrow MicHale. Garrow was an older gentleman who lived by himself ever since his wife had passed a few years earlier. Occasionally, he would suffer a lapse in memory, and bouts of dizziness.

Lenesa stopped before the familiar gray door and knocked twice. A cry of "coming!" sounded from inside, before the door was opened by a woman about Lenesa's age.

"Nira, I'm here to see your uncle," Lenesa said, tilting her hat brim lower as she spoke. "Is he at home?"

"Where else would he be?" Nira answered, her words popping with bitterness. She stepped back and opened the door wider. "It took you long enough to come by. He's only been getting worse. My weekly visits have become daily—and I put that request in nearly a month ago! I have a family apart from my uncle, you know. I can't spend all my time looking after him. My children need me."

Lenesa stepped inside, taking off her shoes before following Nira up the stairs to Garrow's room. "I apologize," she said. "It's been difficult for me to work lately."

"You mean with all the increased security?" Nira turned at the landing, looking slightly mollified. "I suppose it would be bad if someone like you was mistaken for a witch—I could see how it might happen. Especially after that one witch killed those guards and destroyed the river gate a few days ago. Everyone's looking for a scapegoat."

Lenesa's hand flew to her mouth before she could stop it. She had known she had caused harm, but to hear that she had killed...

Her legs felt weak. Why hadn't the bookkeeper told her? Knowing him, he wouldn't have wanted her to worry, but Lenesa felt it was worse to have the horrifying news sprung on her like this, in the presence of a near-stranger.

Thankfully, Nira had already turned away, and didn't notice Lenesa's reaction. The woman instead approached one of the doors on the second floor and knocked before twisting the handle.

"Uncle Garrow? It's Nira. The doctor's come to visit you, finally."

Though she still felt faint from her earlier shock, Lenesa didn't miss the subtle bite in the announcement.

Nira turned back to Lenesa. "I'll be downstairs if you need anything," she said. "Oh—and what do I owe you?"

Lenesa bit her lip. "Do you have any rice?"

Nira shoved aside a wisp of hair that had come free from her bun and gave a loud sigh. "Yes. I'll go pack a small bag."

"Thank you," Lenesa said, but Nira had already brushed past for the stairs, leaving her standing alone in the hallway.

"Hello? Who's there?" Garrow called from within his room. At his voice, Lenesa forced herself to ignore Nira's rudeness and stepped inside.

"Mr. MicHale?" she said. "It's me—I've come to check in on you. How have you been?"

The old man was sitting on a chair by the window, looking at the street below, but turned at her voice. "You look familiar," he said. "Have we met before?"

The corners of her mouth twitched down in sadness before she could catch herself. Lenesa shut the door behind her and crossed the room, drawing up the other chair from the small table in the corner and bringing it so that she could sit and face the man. Garrow looked thinner than the last time she had seen him, and the lines on his face seemed deeper without his characteristic smile. He didn't recognize her for the longest time, until finally—

"You're the doctor!" His face broke into an innocent grin, one which subsequently broke a little of Lenesa's heart.

"I'm sorry I've been away for so long," she said, her voice coming out rough like the scuff of old shoes. She cleared her throat and continued. "How have you been?"

His smile lingered as he replied. "Good, good. Is that a new hat? It doesn't suit you—it hides too much of your face."

Lenesa gave an amused snort despite herself. "That's kind of the point." She took Garrow's wrist and checked his pulse. "Have you been eating well?"

"Yes, of course!" he replied. "You know Saffra always gets the freshest food at the market. She has a good eye for it. Have you met my Saffra? Isn't she wonderful?"

The mention of his dead wife had Lenesa's heart twisting painfully. There was no doubt that Garrow's health had declined since she last saw him.

"Your neice mentioned you had dizzy spells," she said. "Would you mind getting up and walking around for me?"

"Yes, all right. But I'm walking fine—see?"

Garrow did as instructed, and although he was a bit wobbly at times in a way that made Lenesa sit anxiously on the edge of her chair lest he fall, he made a complete turn about the room without help. Still, Lenesa didn't discount the claim of dizziness, and began rummaging in her basket for the necessary ingredients to prescribe.

"Why do you wear that hat?" Garrow said, again distracted by Lenesa's headpiece.

She paused. "I don't want anyone to know who I am. It's not safe."

Garrow hummed in thought. "It must be lonely, working by yourself."

"I—" Lenesa renewed her search through the basket with fervor. Yes, it was lonely—more lonely than she cared to admit. She had been sent off to live with her great aunt as soon as her hair had shown its traitorious true colors at the age of five. Ever since, she had worked in secret, lived in near-solitude, and spoken with the same people over and over, always living in fear of the witch hunters. But her healing specialty forced her to interact with strangers and make so many trips to the city, and though it was dangerous, it was the one thing that made her life seem worthwhile.

"It gets lonely here too, sometimes," Garrow continued. "Saffra and I don't have children, you know, and Nira isn't able to visit a lot."

Lenesa looked up. "I think your niece comes by more often than you realize."

Garrow waved a hand. "She's not much good for conversation, so she might as well not bother with making the trip. I much prefer you. You're doing good work, and you're nice. I just don't see why you should hide yourself."

Lenesa lifted out a bottle from her basket. "I can't reveal who I am. Some things just can't be helped."

"Hmph." Garrow eyed the potion warily. "Are you going to try getting me to drink that?"

Lenesa frowned. "It'll help."

He snorted at the answer. "I'm perfectly happy the way I am, thank you."

"If not for you, then for your niece, Mr. MicHale," Lenesa urged. "It'll make her life easier, too, so that she won't have to worry as much about your health."

Garrow grumbled a reply, but took the bottle. Lenesa watched as he took a sip.

"It tastes like bone broth," he said. "But cold."

"It's something similar," Lenesa said. "Do you have a quill and parchment? I'd like to write down a few other things."

"In the desk drawer," Garrow said, with a nod towards the furniture in the far corner by the door. Lenesa approached it and opened the top drawer, finding the items as promised. She felt a small flutter of relief that his memory wasn't entirely gone, yet.

"All right, Mr. MicHale," Lenesa said, spreading out the parchment and dipping the quill in the inkwell. "After you've finished what's in that bottle I've given you, I want you to look after your diet. Try to eat beets, celery, and blueberries if you can." She wrote down each item as she mentioned it. "Make sure to get lots of leafy greens, and season your food with rosemary, if possible. I have some in my basket if you need it."

"That's all rabbit food," Garrow huffed. "A man needs protein to live."

"Egg yolks, fish, and walnuts," Lenesa replied, chancing a glance up as her pen scratched across the paper. "Is that enough protein for you?"

Garrow frowned. "I prefer beef."

"The poor cows will be happy to live another day," Lenesa answered drily. "Unless you'd prefer that your health decline."

The man sighed, slumping back in his chair in defeat. "Fine."

Lenesa finished writing and waved her hand over the ink to help it dry. "Good. I'll give this list to Nira so she can help."

"Are you leaving?"

His question sounded reluctant to Lenesa's ears, and she regretted having to do just that.

"I'll come back soon," she promised. "But there are other people I have to see..."

Garrow nodded. "That's good. Go see as many people as you can. Once you make friends with them, you won't have to hide anymore."

"It doesn't—"

"Are you done yet?"

The door opened, and Nira stuck her head inside. She looked first across the room to her uncle at the window, then to Lenesa standing by the desk. "I have the rice. Come get it and leave quickly, I have to go home soon."

Lenesa held up the list she had created. "I've written down a few things for your uncle to supplement in his diet," she said. "I think it will help."

Nira snatched the list and quickly scanned through the items. "Blueberries? Walnuts?" she scoffed. "Do we look rich enough to afford those sorts of things to you?"

"I just—"

"Come on." Nira pushed open the door fully so that Lenesa could leave. "It's time to go."

Lenesa was herded downstairs in seconds, a sack of rice shoved into her hands, then pushed out the door that then closed behind her with a loud slam.

Lenesa gave a start at the sound, even though she had been expecting it. The day was still hot despit the lengthening shadows along the street, and Lenesa ducked into the shade to finish tying up her boots and rearrange her basket so that the sack of rice could lay flat along the bottom. The only people around to have noticed her disgraced exile from the house were a group of construction workers who were busy hanging strips of colorful fabric above the street between the rows of houses. The strips of cloth, in vibrant shades of white, yellow, blue, red, and green, were an unmistakable reminder of the upcoming midsummer festival.

Is it already almost summer solstice? The townspeople would be parading through the streets with fire and flowers the entire week leading up to the event. She would need to be especially careful then. Though the dancing and revelry of midsummer had always intrigued her, she had never deemed it safe enough to participate, even with a mask.

Lenesa tore her gaze from the colors and leafed through her book until she found the next name to visit on her list. Makkai Ervane.

Late afternoon bled into early evening, and as Lenesa traveled from house to house, she kept her eye out for any signs of the little goblin that had stowed away in Theiden's pocket. She had heard from several patients now that there was a little red beast on the loose in the city, and it worried her that Gil was no longer in Theiden's care. Knowing the devious creature, it had ecaped rather than Theiden letting it go, but it made little difference in the long run. It was only a matter of time before the witch hunters cornered the goblin.

Aside from the goblin, though, Lenesa caught herself also scanning the streets for Theiden. Once, she thought she saw him, only to realize that it was a man with similar strong build and dark hair, with just as ratty a coat.

She should have no expectation to see him, she knew. But something akin to hope continued to flutter beneath her ribs whenever she saw a tall figure in the distance. Ever since they had parted ways that rainy night when Theiden led the witch hunters off her trail, she had wanted to speak with him, to ask if he forgave her, or still harbored resentment for what she had done.

But what was the use? She was the one who had advised against them ever meeting again. It was safer for him if he stayed away. They should remain as strangers, as though their time together in the mountains had never happened.

"On your way out?"

Lenesa gave a start at the voice at her shoulder. She spun, only to nearly hit the bookkeeper with her basket.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, glancing around for any witnesses to see them together.

"Well, you are on my street," the bookkeeper replied with an amused grin.

"Oh." Lenesa looked up to find that in her musings, she had wandered right in front of the bookshop. "Yes—I was about to leave. I only have a few more patients to see for my next trip."

The bookkeeper shook his head. "I wouldn't leave just yet," he advised. "It's too risky."

"It'll look suspicious if I leave too close to nightfall," Lenesa argued. "I have to go now."

"Stubborn." The bookkeeper's lips thinned in disapproval. "Let me go with you, then. I can get back in on my own a lot easier than you can, anyway."

Lenesa stepped back. "I don't want to put you in danger. You've already risked so much."

Her statement was met with a sigh. "You don't have to do everything on your own," he said, then glanced around the street for potential eavesdroppers. There were a few pedestrains on the other side of the street, but they were otherwise alone. Still, he lowered his voice as he continued, "After all, if your traits were as commonly found in men as they are in women, our circumstances might have been a lot more similar."

Lenesa reached out to grip his shoulder, and they drew closer beneath the eaves of the bookstore.

"It's not your fault," she said, willing her eyes to stay dry. She didn't know what swallowing a frog felt like, but she could imagine the current lump in her throat and hoarseness of her voice might come close to it. "You don't owe me anything."

The bookkeeper gave a small smile, and gently reached up to brush the scar on her cheek with his thumb.

"My dear," he said softly, eyes glimmering behind his spectacles. "What father wouldn't do everything he could to make sure his daughter was safe?"    

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Yay double update!  Because I really want to finish this story and also I have very little self control when it comes to waiting to publish a chapter I've just written.  I'm also considering entering the Wattys, since I didn't participate last year.  Good idea or not?  No offense taken if your answer is the latter haha.

Let me know your thoughts so far, I'd love to hear them!  And as always, please remember to vote!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro