☔️ 1

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Here come the drops, steady and soft.

I feel the water steal my body heat just a tiny bit at a time as the rain starts pouring. I raise my head, tilting it towards the sky, feeling the water hit my face, as I remember my loving mother.

My mother had often told me how I was born on an extremely rainy day and just as the storm was reaching its worst. I was born in between a flash of lightning and the clap of thunder.

I was the storm in her life, with my curly locks, grey eyes, and sometimes wild behavior but she wouldn't change it. I brought her all the rainbows. I was her Rayne.

After listening to that story for years, I'd always felt a special connection with the rain. The rain comes, oblivious to the life it gives.

It quenches the soil and the life that depends on it. In either warmth or coldness, sunlight or moonlight, rain comes, humble to its role. Always leaving behind a rainbow. It's the promise of a fresh start. A new beginning.

The day my mother died was the worst of my life. I was only 21, barely an adult, and all I can remember is the sky. It was one of those baby blue skies, the clouds were puffs of radiant joy and the sun shone down happily at me offering its warmth.

I hated it. I hated that everything seemed so peaceful and perfect when my whole world was crashing down.

It was not until I was at my mother's grave, long after all the guests had left me to my grieving, that I was able to gain some closure. I felt the rain start slowly and then pour heavily along with my tears, and choked sobs that racked my whole body, as they escaped me.

My knees sank into the mud of my mother's fresh grave as I broke down. I let out all of my sorrow and, when I was done, I felt the rain slow down and a beautiful rainbow hovered over my head.

On this spring afternoon, it is the percussion of the rain hitting the cement as I walk through the park that soothes my heart and brings steadiness to my soul.

A sigh leaves me as I arrive at my apartment complex. Noticing the elevator is still out of service, I begrudgingly trudge up the four flights of stairs to my floor.

Walking down the hall I notice Mrs. Kim has removed all of her potted plants from in front of her door. I wonder why.

She loved them so much. Always saying it gave her something to take care of now that her three boys had moved from the nest.

I'll check on her tomorrow.

I fish my keys out of my pocket when I notice that my door is already unlocked.

Fuck.

I quietly turn the handle, pushing the door open while I try to slowly creep my body into the house without fully opening it, cursing at the squeak it makes.

Once inside I don't dare turn on the lights, instead, I allow the soft glow of the streetlights to light up the living room.

And then I freeze.

Fuck, did I go into the wrong apartment?! How embarrassing! 

I go to make my way back out quietly and then the lights flicker on and I hear a smooth, alluring voice interrupt me.

"Who are you, lady? And why are you in my house?"

I stare at the beautiful man standing in front of me, leaning against the wall. He has round, slightly chubby cheeks that are flushed red, plump pillowy lips, a small nose, and hooded almond-shaped eyes.

He's taller than me, with a strong figure and I notice his muscles bulge as his fingers comb his shiny blonde hair while he stares at me questioningly.

"I'm so sorry, I must've mistakenly entered the wrong apartment." I nervously reply.

A smirk slowly creeps onto his face as he crosses his arms over his chest.

"What apartment are you looking for? I've been here for quite some time and have never seen you before, lady."

"My name is not lady. It's Rayne and I was meant to enter 4D" I say, annoyed at being addressed as a lady.

I'm not even old enough to be called that. 

Twenty-eight is still young! Right?

"Why?" he asks confused.

"I live there?" I ask just as confused as him.

"No, you don't Rayyyne. This is 4D and I live here," he says drawing out my name.

A chuckle leaves his mouth and he drops his arms standing up straight, kinda wobbly without the support of the wall. He doesn't move toward me trying to gauge my reaction.

My eyes quickly take in the apartment around me. It's got a small sofa with a huge tv mounted to the wall, no real decor besides some photos hung up of friends? Family?

It looks like a total bachelor pad, there are empty take-out cartons on the table, accompanied by some beer bottles.

Then my eyes threaten to bulge out of my head, a gasp escaping me as I cover my mouth in shock.

I see the small hole in the hallway. I made that hole when Baeky brought over his hoverboard and I of course had no balance. I fell to the hard floor and the hoverboard crashed into the wall.

The handsome stranger looks concerned and I feel a cold sweat sweep across my body.

What the fuck is going on?

He moves, taking a wavering slow step in my direction, hand outstretched cautiously.

He probably thinks I'm some psycho who has broken into his house...my house?

"I think it's time you leave, lady," he says softly, trying not to spook me.

"Rayne," I correct.

"I swear I'm not crazy, this is my home," I say taking a step back.

My ears start ringing and I feel a sharp pain in my temples. My hand reaches up to rub the spot, eyes closed tight as I try to figure out what is going on.

When I open them back up, the handsome stranger is now standing in front of me and he goes to touch my shoulder but...he doesn't?

His hand goes right through it? I stare in confusion. Is he a magician? He goes to grab me and again his hand goes right through my body.

I try to tell myself this is a trick of the mind, his hand didn't just go through me twice, did it? That's impossible!

My brain tries to function, demanding answers instead of this crazy anxiety.

The stranger's mouth is hanging open and his body trembles. Suddenly he takes on a pale look, his full lips are barely there with how tightly he has them pressed together.

Then, with one step backward, he crumples like a puppet suddenly released from its strings.

Well, fuck, Rayne, you've really stepped into a puddle.

ヽ`、☁ヽ`、

It's raining.

I scowl at the falling drops, trying to will them away as I start the short run to my apartment. I should have taken that sexy redhead up on her offer, then I wouldn't be here getting soaked.

She had latched onto me as soon as I stepped out from behind the bar, whispering sexy promises into my ear, all I had to do was go home with her. Two beers and six shots later, I was exhausted. Taking her number and promising a rain check, I made my way out of work.

Now that I was cold and drenched, nothing sounded better than having a warm body tangled with me under the sheets. 

I could call her over.

I thought as I rounded the corner seeing the place I called home.

I groan, remembering the elevator is still not working. It's been out for the whole eight months I've lived here and, according to Tae, it was out for months before that.

But I couldn't really complain, I was renting the apartment for dirt cheap because the last tenant just dipped.

Tae had told me about the vacancy after I had broken up with Nat. I was begging him to let me crash with him and his brothers for a few nights, but instead, he told me his mother's neighbor had gone missing and they were desperately trying to find a new renter.

Their loss was my gain and I moved in that very same week.

I make it to the fourth floor, my legs threatening to give out under me. Feeling the haze of the alcohol demanding I sleep. It took me a few tries but I finally unlocked my door.

Tugging off my shoes not bothering to turn on any lights, I made my way down the hallway. Seeing the damn hole in the wall, I glared at it before reaching my room and pulling off my wet clothes so I could take a shower.

The apartment had been cleared out in a rush by the friend of the missing renter. The landlord didn't bother fixing up the place or cleaning it before I moved in, thus there was a hole in my hallway and some items had been left behind by mistake.

When I step out of the shower, I hear the squeak of my front door being opened. I quickly put on some clothes and creep down the hallway.

I keep my back pressed against the wall and peer around the corner to see a woman standing there dripping water all over the floor. She's a small thing and seems harmless enough.

"Who are you, lady? And why are you in my house?" I blurt out as I watch her turn around to leave.

"I'm so sorry, I must've mistakenly entered the wrong apartment," she says nervously.

I finally got a good look at her. She had warm chestnut-colored hair that was hanging limp after being drenched in the rain and pastel white skin which made her beautiful pink lips stand out.

She wasn't supermodel skinny, instead, she was blessed with the fat of a baby, her chubby cheeks making her even more adorable and her curves were filled in all the right places.

Then I saw her eyes as she looked at me through her lowered lashes and it was like staring at the rain clouds themselves. 

Maybe I will have a warm body in my bed after all.

"What apartment are you looking for? I've been here for quite some time and have never seen you before, lady." I ask with a smirk.

"My name is not lady. It's Rayne and I was meant to enter 4D" she retorts, her voice laced with her annoyance.

"Why?" I ask, confused.

"I live there?" she replies.

Am I being punked? I bet Tae is trying to get me back, after me abandoning him at the bar with that super clingy girl.

"No, you don't Rayyyne. This is 4D and I live here." I flirtily draw out her name, as I push myself off the wall and my legs almost give out underneath me. I really need to start easing up on the liquor.

Her beautiful grey eyes widen and she frantically looks around my apartment. Then she freezes and I watch, as her attention is focused on the hole in the hallway. Shit, maybe she's crazy and did break into my house. I slowly step forward the way you would approach an injured animal, trying not to scare them so they don't bite you.

"I think it's time you leave, lady," I say softly, trying not to scare her. What if she stabs me or something. 

Fuck, I have to get her out of here.

"Rayne," she says, trying to correct me. But at this point I don't care, she just needs to leave.

"I swear I'm not crazy, this is my home," she says stepping back literally cornering herself.

I went to touch her shoulder and I missed? God, I didn't have that much to drink! I go to grab her arm again and my hand just goes right through her.

What the fuck!?

I knew I was about to faint when my stomach gave out. It felt like my insides were being replaced by some kind of black hole. Then nausea crept from my stomach to my head and the world went black.

ヽ`、☁ヽ`、

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro