☔️ 17

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Can you ask them to head to the library? We need to see if we can find out Lam's full name, that's the only way we can gain any control over her," Rayne says and I again reiterate everything she's saying to me to the guys.

They quickly agree and get to work as I allow her to pull me along with her to Yoongi's office.

She doesn't spare me a single glance just holds onto my hand a little tighter. I've grown comfortable with her touch and now it just feels natural to have her small hand intertwined with mine.

I'm still shocked by what she said back at my place. No one had said those types of things about me, except for the guys, but they have known me forever.

So hearing it from Rayne who's only seen my bad attitude and distrust of her...

Fuck! I was downright awful and mean to her.

But she still saw something in me not many people have and hearing her tell me I was capable of being loved was messing with me. I didn't care too much before but hearing her say it opened up something in me and I was so truly happy.

But why? We are just friends, maybe that's what she meant, I'm a loveable friend.

"What's wrong Jimin?" she says and I shake my head.

"Nothing. What do we need to get from in here?" I say trying to distract her and myself from my dumb thoughts.

Of course, she can only see me that way. I ruined everything before I even knew I might want more.

"Well, Yoongi has a secret safe behind this painting. It has all his most important things inside of it. But I can't open it 'cause I haven't really mastered touching things, well, besides you," she says sheepishly, a blush creeping up her face.

"You can touch me all you like," I flirt and watch as she rolls her eyes.

"You are so annoying. Can you please open it?" she groans and motions to the safe.

"What's the code?"

"03,09,2010," she says with a happy smile on her face.

"What's that? The day he lost his virginity?" I laugh at my own joke and she again groans.

"It's the day mom adopted him. It was more important because mom waited till he was already legally an adult, to show him she still wanted to adopt him because he was family and she loved him. Not because he was a homeless teen. But by that time he was already well and truly our family even without that paper."

"That sounds nice," I say softly.

All I ever wanted was a family, and how lucky that mean serial killer Yoongi was able to have a family with Rayne and her mom.

"Hey," Rayne says drawing my attention to her.

"You're my family now too. After all of this, you'll never be able to get rid of me. Plus you're my purple string," she offers me a warm smile and I can't help but smile back.

Happy and beyond relieved that she'll still be around after she's back to normal. I clear my throat and let go of her hand to open the safe and,  to my surprise, it's empty except for one thing.

It's a small blue blanket that clearly has seen better days. I pull it out and unravel it, it's got a few holes and the edges are all frayed.

Rayne laughs beside me but when I turn to look at her she's crying. I step close and pull her into my arms gently rubbing her back as she cries harder.

"What's wrong, Rayne?" I question around the lump in my throat.

"That silly man, that's what he's put in the safe," she mumbles against my chest before pulling away and reaching out to run her hand along the blanket.

"I gave this to him that first-month mom brought him home. He was very sick from running away in the rain and this was my favorite blanket. I gave it to him telling him it had magic and would help him feel better but he just grumbled and fell asleep. I never saw it again after that night figuring he had gotten rid of it," she shrugs but smiles widely as she clearly remembers the encounter.

"It probably did make him feel so much better. I'd keep it forever too if you gave me something with magic," I tease and she laughs again making her eyes sparkle like the finest silver glitter.

"We have to go to one more place. Do you think the other two will be okay without us?" she questions.

"Yeah. Let's just go tell them we have another stop and we will be back soon."

I reach out and take her hand into mine once more and I swear I feel warmth instead of the usual shiver her touch usually gives off.

ヽ`、☁ヽ`、

My hands shake as I desperately try and pick up the matching magnetic bracelets that are broken and lying in the middle of the clearing.

The area is trashed, and the cloth that hung over the stump's entrance is ripped and pulled off the tree.

"Hey, Rayne. It's okay, I'll get it," Jimin stops my trembling hands and carefully picks up the bracelets.

"She had to have gotten him from here," I say and my voice cracks. "He must have been so scared."

"We'll get him back. I promise, Rayne," he wraps an arm around my shoulder and pulls me close as he rubs up and down my arm.

"We need to get back now! Hopefully, the others have found something?" I ask and Jimin nods.

The ride back is tense and I can't stop my worry. Jimin rests his hand on my thigh, gently rubbing it, trying to offer some comfort, but doesn't pressure me into talking knowing I just need to think.

When we join the two in the library, I can tell they are clearly frustrated and stressed from scanning book after book.

"Why can't we just google this?" Taehyung finally groans thumping his head against the table.

"Why would any of this be on Google?" Jin asks like the whole idea is absurd.

"Actually, that might work!" Jimin says excitedly pulling out the chair next to Tae and scooting closer.

"People are much more into the macabre stuff nowadays. Especially after Supernatural, that show had all the girls interested in demons and angels," he says and I roll my eyes knowing he's absolutely right.

"What should I search?" Taehyung asks and Jimin looks up at me.

"Demon who poisoned water holes and killed babies?" I suggest and Jimin repeats it.

The search came up useless. Names like Doma and Bhima popped up but weren't what we needed.

"Why not try and rephrase it?" Jin suggests and Taehyung takes his input and presses search.

The first name to pop up is Putana the demoness who was killed by Krishna. But my eyes lock on to the second link. Lamashtu, "she who erases", is there and I quickly rush forward to point at it accidentally gracing Taehyung and causing him to yelp at the sudden coldness.

Jimin takes the phone from Taehyung and pulls me closer as he starts to read the info out loud.

"Daughter of Anu, one of the greater gods, her appearance was as terrible as her work. Equipped with a hairy human body, the head of a lioness, teeth and ears of a donkey, and bird feet with sharp talons, she is often shown standing or kneeling on a donkey, nursing a pig and dog, and holding snakes. Her work included poisoning water with disease, killing plants, bringing nightmares, and causing tetanus in addition to persistent fevers. However, Lamashtu's principal victims were unborn. Slipping into the house of a pregnant woman, she tried to touch the woman's stomach seven times to kill the child. She would poison newborns by abducting the child from its wet nurse and feeding it with it her own toxic milk. She would gnaw on their bones and suck their blood. Mothers could also be killed and she sometimes ate the flesh and drank the blood of adult men, although it is not stated whether they were the fathers or just randomly picked individuals."

"She sounds terrifying," Taehyung shudders, and Jimin quickly agrees.

"It says here Pazuzu was invoked to protect the mothers and infants," Jimin says as his eyes continue to scan the page.

"Pazuzu? The bringer of famine and drought?" I question confused as to why he would be invoked.

"It says here that Pazuzu could have been created specifically as a counter to her. Initially, she existed as an independent demoness, with no distinct connection to other demons. Then in the Late Bronze Age, she took on the lilû demon classification, thus Pazuzu was introduced as a way to chase her from the home and back into the underworld."

"Yoongi has some of Pazuzu's Talismans, but I don't know if it will be enough. There's a book here of a list of demons and incantations," I say pointing to the bookshelf and Jimin rushes over to pull it out.

He quickly flips the pages scanning for her name till he suddenly stops.

"It's here! Incantation against Lamashtu."

"I guess we know what we have to do now," Jin says and my eyes dart up.

"They can't come, Jimin. They'll be in danger," I say worriedly and he nods taking a deep breath to explain.

ヽ`、☁ヽ`、

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro