Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The next morning I am woken by the girls touching my face. I look at them and smile.

"Hungwy," Sophie says.

I smile. "Do you want to sleep in here with me?

Gracie nods. Then she climbs into bed with me.

Sophie lies her head on my stomach. She wraps a small arm around me and she falls asleep.

Gracie is asleep on my other side.

They look so cute.

I close my and sleep with them.

A couple hours later, I wake up. I stroke the girls head and they stir. "It's breakfast time girls." I lift them up and carry them to the kitchen. I place them in the high chairs and make toast for them.

My phone starts to ring and I look at the caller ID. "Annaliese" flashes across the screen.

I answer it.

Me: Hello, this is Laken.

Annaliese: I have some news about the girls.

What's going on with the girls?

Me: Okay, is it good or bad?

Annaliese: The father found out about the girls and he wants to meet them. I told him I was going to set it up with you.

Why did the father have to show up now? I can't lose them.

Me: When does he want to meet them?

Annaliese: He's coming home in two weeks.

Me: Thank you for telling me.

I hang up the phone. Tears begin to fall down my face.

Gracie and Sophie look at me. "Mom," they say in unison.

I wipe away tears with the back of my hand. I finish making the girls there breakfast. I place it on the table in front of them. I make the girls warm milk. I test it on my arm before I give it to the girls.

"Thank you, Mom."

"You're welcome, baby girl."

The girls eat their toast.

After breakfast I get the girls dressed. I look at them. "Do you want to go shopping?"

"Yes," Gracie says.

I walk to my room and I get ready. I slip on a pair of jeans a black singlet top and knee high boots. I pick up my handbag and exit the room. I pack things that I need for the girls and we exit the house.

Sophie and Gracie sit there chairs and I buckle them in. I close the door and then climb into the driver's seat.

I pull my phone out and call Dad.

Dad: Hello, Laken. What do you need this morning?

Me: The girls and I are going shopping. We thought you'd like to come.

Dad: Can you pick me up. Your mother doesn't want me driving.

Me: I'll be there in fifteen.

I pull the car out of the driveway and head to Dad's. I look at the girls through the rear view mirror. "Grandpa is coming shopping with us."

Sophie smiles. "Grandpa."

I turn the radio on and a Taylor Swift song comes on and I start to sing along to it.

The girls are moving around in their seats.

They're so cute.

I pull in front of Dad's place.

Dad is sitting on the swinging chair. He rises and makes his way to the car. He climbs in.

As I'm about to pull away the front door opens and Mom sprints to the car.

I stop the car and pull my window down. "What's wrong, Mom?"

She gives me some tablets. "Your father needs to take this after lunch."

Dad pulls a funny face. "Those tablets make me feel drowsy. I can't sleep while I'm with my girls."

Mom crosses her arms. "If you don't take these I'll make you sleep on the lounge. I'm not going to share a bed with a man that won't take care of himself."

He sighs. "Fine, but, if I fall asleep in the car in the way home you need to carry me inside."

Mom looks at the house. "The wheelchair will be useful now. Have fun."

Gracie and Sophie wave at Mom.

"Do you want to come with us?"

Mom shakes her head. "I have things that I need to do. It's easier to do it without your father in the house. Thank you."

"Bye, Mom." I pull the car onto the road and I head to the mall.

When we get to the mall I park in the pram parking spot. I pull the double pram out and I pick Gracie up and put her into it.

Dad lifts Sophie up and he place her next to Gracie. Dad separates the prams and he pushes Sophie while I push Gracie.

I look at the girls. "What do you want to do first?"

"Park."

Dad and I walk to the park. When we get there we take the girls out and the chase each other.

I look at Dad. "Do you want a cake and coffee?"

Dad smiles. "Yes, please."

I look at the girls and him. "Take care of my girls." I pick my handbag and I walk into the food court. I walk over to the cake shop and I order a coffee for Dad and a hot chocolate for myself. I get four donuts and I carry everything back outside.

Dad takes his coffee from me. "Thanks, Lake."

The girls run over to me. "I'm hungwy, Mommy." Gracie says.

I open a bag for her and pull a pink donut. She takes it from me and takes a bite. I give Sophie's her and she sits next to Gracie on the ground.

Dad looks at me. "Thank you for getting me out of the house. Your mother is driving me crazy."

I look at the ground. "Mom is doing her best under the circumstances. What's she going to do when you're gone?"

He takes my hand. "Your mother is going to be surrounded by family. I know your sister, brother and you will take care of her. I don't think Johnny will be going undercover again. I've seen the way he is around the girls. He might become a Foster Dad. You inspire people, Lake. If I weren't dying I would have fostered a child. You make me want to better myself."

I rise and move toward him. "That means a lot coming from you dad." I hug him.

The girls run around. They trip a few times before they rise and do it again.

Dad looks at them. "I'm going to miss out on the twin's future. Can you tell them stories about me when I'm gone?"

A tear falls down my face. "Dad, can we stop talking about this. I want to spend as much time with you. Without this being brought up?" Dad wipes my face and I look into his eyes. "I promise you I'll tell the girls stories about their Grandpa and the type of man he was."

"Thank you."

Dad and I get the girls into the prams and then we walk around the mall. Dad stops at a suit shop. "I want to look in there." Dad looks through racks of clothes and he finds a black and the he picks out a black tie. He walks into the change rooms.

A couple minutes late, dad steps out of the room in a suit. He looks at me. "How does this look?"

I give him the thumbs up. "It's perfect what's the occasion?"

He avoids eye contact with me. "I want to wear this when I'm buried."

I should have guessed he was going to say that.

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

️MissDredge

Let me know what you think of the current chapter of Foster Mom.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro