-4-

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I look at Carter then cast a glance around me. Godly images are painted on the high arches and ceiling of the space; the flickering candles make them dance around the chapel. Rebecca is still leant lazily back in the pew looking, for all intents and purposes, like she's chilling on the sofa watching TV - not talking about dead girls and demons.

I shiver. I feel small in this cavernous space. Insignificant. I don't belong here.

I shake my head.

"You have the wrong person."

Carter's face falls as I turn my back and begin to walk towards the door. Behind me I hear the clattering of a tea tray and Jared's voice echoes around the pews.

"I told you so..."

"Shut up, Jared."

Rebecca's voice follows me as I hurry down the University corridor and into the lift at the end. There's a mirror inside and I squeeze my eyes shut as it moves downwards. Why do there have to be mirrors everywhere?

End it, I hear the voice in my head, just end it all. We can be free.

I can't do this. It's too hard. It's just all too hard.

I'm stepping out into the car park when I hear footsteps behind me.

"Frankie...wait up."

"Frankie is not my name."

I spin around. Rebecca is stood a few feet away from me. I groan inwardly. 

"I know, but that won't stop people from calling you it. If you own it then they can't use it to hurt you," she shrugs. "I kinda like it anyway." She starts to move towards the hearse, "Come on, I'll drive you home."

"Oh please, let me spend more time in your creepy death car."

"It's raining. It's late. You'll catch your death of cold...unless that's what you want?" She raises a pale eyebrow then shrugs, "Your parents will be getting worried."

I sigh, the mention of my parents stirring a jolt of regret in the pit of my stomach. She's right. It's late, and dark, and raining. All in all, not a great time to be informed of your daughter's untimely death.

But despite of that, I don't want to face them.

"I don't want to go home."

"Well I sure as hell aren't taking you back to that bridge again." She opens the car door and throws herself into the seat, "Come on, get in!"

I exhale heavily then walk to the passenger side, avoiding my reflection in the darkened hearse window, and get inside. Rebecca starts the engine and steers us out of the car park and back down the Strand. Neither of us speaks as I watch the scenery of London pass us by – the London Eye, the South Bank Centre, the Thames – all shrouded in rain and darkness.

"You really believe in all that demon crap?" I ask after a while.

"It's not a question of belief when you know something's real. I've seen them. I've fought them."

"You're more mental than I thought."

"Says the girl who was going to hurl herself off a bridge earlier..."

I look at her sharply – her eyes are fixed on the road but the corner of her lip is tugging upwards. I exhale loudly to express my annoyance then lean my head back against the car seat.

"Carter will be disappointed that you didn't hear him out," she says.

"Don't care."

"Jared too, though he won't show it."

I frown at the mention of him and Rebecca catches it.

"He's not so bad when you get to know him. As Carter says," she puts on a voice, "'Jared is a troubled young man'"

I think of the way he looked at me – in utter revulsion – and it makes my insides squirm. I should be used to it by now but it still hurts. Every time.

"The guy's an arsehole."

Rebecca nods enthusiastically.

"And I tell him so, often," her face falls serious. "He doesn't talk about it but Carter told me that his girlfriend died. He turned to Carter with questions about the soul afterwards and that's how he became involved in all this. Doesn't excuse his bad behaviour, but perhaps makes it more understandable."

The buildings on either side of the road become larger and more residential as we enter Kensington. A few minutes later Rebecca pulls up outside my house. She turns off the engine then pulls the now rain stained file out from under her coat. She holds it out in front of me. I look at it, my body suddenly feeling weak.

"Daisy Malone...she's one of the girls, isn't she?"

Rebecca nods, her face now totally serious.

"Please, just look through the file. Girls are still going missing around London. Carter thinks whoever did what they did to you - is collecting more body parts. We want to cut off the suppliers," she holds my gaze. "Daisy didn't deserve what happened to her, you didn't deserve what happened to you, and there's a lot of girls who don't deserve what is about to happen to them. Let's make these bastards pay."

I hold her gaze for a moment. Then, with trembling fingers, I snatch the file and hurry out of the hearse. I stuff it under my coat and make my way up the stone steps to our house.

"Read the file. See you at school tomorrow, Frankie," yells Rebecca out of the window before heading back out into the night.

My fingers curl into fists at my side.

Frankie is not my name.

Then taking a deep breath I prepare myself for my parents and open the door.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro