6. Sergeant I Love

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Emery

"Emery get your cute butt out here. Do you really want to be late to your man's ceremony?" Brigette yells out from our apartment's entryway.

The irony of her being ready to go before me is hilarious.

"Be right there, we won't be late." I tear off one last piece of tape to seal the corner of the wrapped gift and take a look at my finished product.

Okay, so I won't be getting any rewards anytime soon for my wrapping, but I tried. And it's the thought that counts right?

I hold the Christmas-wrapped gift under my arm and smile as I exit my room and walk towards an impatient Bridgette who is tapping her foot anxiously. The black pumps she is wearing are a great addition to the sophisticated white sheath dress she has on. The lace detailed dress stops just mid-thigh, making her already long legs seem longer.

Her eyes look me over before landing on the gift and she crosses her arms with a smirk. "Stole my wrapping paper did you?"

I shrug and look down, smoothing out my gray pencil skirt. I paired it with a black, long sleeve blouse, nude pumps, and my hair rests in soft waves.

I hope it's formal enough for the ceremony.

"It's all we had and we might as well use the rest of last year's leftovers before this Christmas."

She chuckles while grabbing her car keys from the key rack that hangs to the right of our front door. "Oh, there is plenty more where that came from. I make sure to stock up when the sales hit right after the holidays."

I laugh and roll my eyes. "Of course you do, Sissy."

"So," Bridgette says when we get out of the car, gesturing to the gift tucked under my arm. "What did you get him anyway?"

I can't help the smile that forms on my face at her curiosity. Memories pop up in my head from the day I was graduating from the academy. I remember being so excited and curious as to what my gift she had for me was.

Of course, it was wrapped in Christmas paper.

Another memory submerges, reminding me how she made me wait anxiously to open my gift and how I begged and pleaded to know what it was.

"You'll see when he opens it."

Bridgette furrows her brow and stops walking. "You can't tell me? You steal my Christmas wrapping paper and still can't tell me?"

I smirk. "Nope, nope, nope. Must wait, you shall. Impatient, you are," I say, repeating the very words she said to me on my graduation day when I basically pleaded for her to tell me what my gift was.

Like a pissed-off toddler, Bridgette kicks her foot before crossing her arms and practically stomps her way through the parking lot. I can't help but erupt into a fit of laughter.

My life has really changed since March. Going from a fresh new Officer and being assigned to train with none other than my old nemesis and first crush Grayson Matthews, to now being late August and I am about to attend said nemesis' promotional ceremony.

I performed a one-eighty in this scenario.

The day Miles introduced me to my new partner, I grimaced. His wretched personality and the cruelty he bestowed upon me all those years ago had truly made my heart cold towards him. However, Grayson being the sneaky little thief he is, managed to change my mind and steal my heart all over again.

During the months I spent with him as my partner, my eyes had no choice but to see the change in him. To see the goodness in his heart and for my ears to be blessed with the most sincere apology that I longed to hear when I was younger were the start of my changed perception of him. 

I can admit that with every ounce of love my heart has to offer, he owns it.

When I spot the familiar dimpled left cheek and piercing blue eyes, Bridgette and I make our way over to Chloe and Duke, Grayson's folks, and take a seat next to them in the courtroom seating. 

"It's great to see you, Emery," Chloe says with a smile. She literally is the female version of Grayson, except in height. I smile in return and give her a hug.

Duke's crow's feet expand when he smiles at me. Despite his prominent frown lines, he is very handsome for his age. With Bridgette to my right and Chloe to my left, I can't help but look up and admire my man who stands upfront in the courthouse, with a smile.

The man who is currently standing in front of the Chief of Police and the Judge, smiling and shaking hands while receiving his certificate and sergeant stripes is not the same guy he was in high school. On the outside, he looks like an older version of his former self. To this day he is still devilishly handsome, with those ocean blue eyes and the small scar below his lip that I have always loved.

But the attitude, the mask he wore to make it seem that he had zero remorse for the chubby girl... is gone. The boy who broke my heart grew into the man who mended it, making it completely and utterly his during the process.

With a proud, gleaming smile, Grayson grasps the framed certificate and looks down to read it as everyone cheers on his success. The Judge and Miles pat his shoulders proudly before Miles takes his place back at the podium in front of the rest of the Officers.

"Four years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting this young man. When he first stepped into my office, I could tell he was full of determination and was willing to do whatever he could to get what he wanted in life." Still standing and facing everyone, Grayson smiles at that, looks at me, and sneaks in a cute wink. A soft chuckle escapes Chloe and I know she caught it.

Miles continues, "Grayson Matthews was asked why he wanted to be a cop and his response was that Officer Fairess inspired him to become a person who others can look up to. He proudly served as a trusted Officer that would do what he could to save lives and help those in need." I suck in a sharp intake of breath at the mention of my father and Bridgette squeezes my hand. Looking over my shoulder, I spot the single tear rolling down her cheek.

"As one of my closest friends, it pains me deeply that Sergeant Fairess isn't up here with us to give you your award instead, Officer Matthews. I know he would be very proud of you, as he already was before his end of watch. I say with the utmost amount of pride that I am very honored to have you a part of our team, Sergeant Matthews. Can't wait to see what your future holds for you and this department. Congratulations, my brother in service."

My legs tremble and my shoulders shake as tears pour out of me at Miles' words. Smiling and clapping, the salty taste of my tears lingers on my lips and I sniffle. I could feel my heart growing and warming for Grayson and for what he has done, in his life and mine. 

Bridgette and I look at each other simultaneously and both laugh at our emotional distress, then pull one another in for a tight hug. Our bodies are both shaking from laughing and crying. The last time we attended a ceremony like this was the day our father earned those sergeant stripes. That was a special moment when my Dad became sergeant. He had worked so hard and when he finally got it, it was the first Bridgette and I had seen him happy about something for himself since Mom died.

Still engulfed in a hug, my eyes drift back over to Grayson, who is now slowly walking towards us.

Dad really would have been proud of him. Being that he was the one who trained him, he might have even been bragging a little bit right now if he were here.

"I did it, Peanut!" Grayson boasts as he reaches our side.

Giggling like a fool and tears still emitting from my irises, I let go of Bridgette and practically leap into Grayson's arms, causing a slight oomph in my abdomen from stretching. He wraps his arms around me, locking me tightly against his chest, and lifts me up, surprisingly without dropping his patch or framed certificate.

"You sure did." I stare into those ocean eyes, give him a soft smile, then lean my head down to plant a soft kiss on his lips.

"Now can I open it?" Grayson all but pleads once we get to his house. I would have given the gift to him as soon as the ceremony was over if him almost on his knees wasn't the most adorable thing ever.

Dare I say cute.

After promising Chloe and Duke we would join them for dinner tomorrow with Grandma Rose, we all departed from the courthouse and went our separate ways. Except for my sister that is. She insisted on dropping me off here just to see what was in the wrapping paper before heading over to Miles' house.

"Yeah, let him open it up already," Bridgette weighs in.

She has been staying over at his house almost every night this week while I have been here, but she is still playing taxi with her Prius. Though Darth Vader -my black Toyota Tacoma- is clean and sitting in the apartment parking lot, ready to be driven, I haven't so much as even opened the vehicle door since I was shot.

For some strange reason, the idea of getting behind the wheel of the all-black interior beast that is my truck makes me nauseous. While everything is clean and sterile now, I thought I'd died in there when I was bleeding out.

Now, I'll probably have a panic attack getting back inside the very vehicle I bought for the size because it brought me comfort.

Shaking off the thought, I roll my eyes at my sister before presenting the gift to Grayson with a smile. "I guess you have begged enough."

He doesn't hesitate and yanks the gift from my hands. Chewing my lower lip nervously, I bend down to rub Chunk's floppy ears, avoiding meeting Grayson's eyes at my cheesy gift.

Maybe I should have gotten him something else? What if he doesn't like it?

He chuckles and my head immediately lifts to see what he is laughing at. Pointing to the box he states, "The Fairess sisters and their Christmas wrapping."

Bridgette laughs and lightly slaps his shoulder. "We get it, we're cute. Now can you just open it up already? I have been waiting longer than you to see what Emery wrapped up."

Grayson chuckles again and begins to tear apart the snowman printed paper. Looking back down to Chunk, I focus on his big brown eyes when I hear the clank of glass.

"Peanut." His voice is soft and harmonizing. "I love it, so much."

I exhale the breath I had apparently been holding and look up to meet his now glossy blue eyes. If I wasn't mistaken, he looks as if he is about to cry. His subtle pink cheeks raise and the happy smile that forms on his face practically makes me turn into putty.

"What does it say?" My nosey sister asks. Holding his favorite bottle of whiskey, Bridgette grabs the personalized whiskey glass I had made for him and reads aloud my engraved words, adding to my embarrassment.

"You are the keys to my cuff, shock in my taser, lights to my siren, pepper in my spray, shield over my heart, and the Sergeant I love. Badge number eleven-zero-nine, with a heart."

Still holding the glass, Bridgette looks down at my crouched position. "Wow, that's beautiful, Emery." I rise to my feet and shrug nonchalantly. "No, really. This is great. I might even steal this idea for Miles."

I smile at her. "Thanks, Sissy."

My eyes drift to Grayson, who is staring at me intently with his jaw clenching. His blue eyes begin to draw me in more and more until I am completely mesmerized and under his spell. A tingly sensation forms between my thighs as his mouth curves into the most seductive, knowing smile.

I can't wait to tell him that the doctor okayed sex. I am not sure if I can hold back much longer. It's been weeks and I just want him inside of me. 

After moments of silence and our eyes locking, Bridgette clears her throat. "Well, it's been a long day. I better get going. Miles is waiting." Walking up to Grayson, she gives him a brief hug. "Congrats Grayson."

"Thank you, Bridgette."

"And you, Miss Shakespeare." Smiling, she gives me a knowing look. "I'll see later?"

I nod and we hug. "Of course."

"Have fun tonight," she says with a wink. "Love you," she says in a sing-song voice before exiting the front door.

"Love you, too!" I yell out.

When the door closes, I look back to a still silent Grayson. "You okay?"

He nods and sets the whiskey and glass down on the kitchen counter before walking back over to me and wrapping his big arms around me, gently placing a soft kiss on the top of my head.

"I'm just... happy." His fingertips press lightly into my hips and the light touch sends electric waves up my body. 

The way this man makes me feel is indescribable.

"I really love the gift. It's thoughtful...perfect. I love you, Peanut."

"I love you, too," I say between my jagged breaths. My arousal for him is at an all-new high, as is my anticipation levels when I add, "I have one more surprise for you though."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro