35 - Sun Comes Up

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Alena, have you brushed your teeth?" I called out from across the hall.

"I'm doing it now." She responded grumpily.

"Hurry up, please. I have my doctors appointment in thirty minutes." I responded as I grabbed my bag.

"I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying." She mumbled, as I walked past her to go down the stairs. I went into the kitchen expecting to see Isaac but he was nowhere to be found. I was about to walk into the lounge room when I noticed a note on the dining table, 'Running errands. I'll see you at Drew's later.'

"Okay, I'm ready." Alena called out as she jogged down the stairs. After locking up the house and getting into the car we were on our way to my doctors. My eyes kept alternating between the bandage and the road, I knew my doctor was going to question why I still had it covered and I didn't want to have the conversation. Doctors could be very persistent when they needed to be.

I let out a sigh when I pulled into the doctors office, I just had to get this over with. As soon as I checked in we both sat in the waiting bay for a good fifteen minutes until my name was called, which only angered me. Why make me book an appointment if they were just going to make me wait?

"I won't be long, Alena." I whispered as I got up to walk inside. I followed my doctor closely behind as she walked us to her office, waiting for me to enter before closing the door behind us.

"Avery, how are you feeling?" She asked as she sat at her desk, across from me.

"I'm good. I need another prescription for Endone." I responded quietly, I bit onto my inner cheek as her eyes moved to look at my bandage, before making eye contact with me again.

"Have you taken both prescriptions?" She asked as she began to write in her notepad.

My eyes lingered on her notepad for a few seconds before responding slowly, "Yes."

"Both prescriptions combined should have lasted you a whole year. You're treading on dangerous waters here, Avery." She said.

"I'm not addicted, okay. I took them when I felt pain, as per your instruction." I said.

"I never said you were addicted. Just be careful." She whispered.

"I know. I'm sorry. They just help my anxiety when it goes through the roof." I said, as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Well. I am going to prescribe you something for your anxiety. You only need to take half when you begin to feel anxious but you will need to use them sparingly." She said as she began to scribble words down.

"So, I won't get a repeat?" I asked, as I tried to hide the panic being evident in my voice.

She stopped writing before looking up at me, "No. These should only be used for severe cases. I don't want you becoming reliant on these. Please." She said, worry evident in her tone. I let out a sigh as I nodded.

"Great. Now, can you remove the bandage for me, so I can take a look." She said.

It was the way she spoke, I knew she wasn't asking me if I could remove the bandage or not. I let out a sigh as I reach for the bandage to slowly remove it, revealing Noah's name which always felt like it was screaming at me. I watched as she got up to sit next to me before lifting my arm up to take a closer look.

"Good. The scars are healing nicely, it's barely visible. You won't need the bandage anymore." She said as she got up to walk over to her desk. I scoffed as she said those words.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I am not walking around looking like a freak." I forced the words out.

She let out a sigh as she stopped typing, "Please do not take this the wrong way. But, I do believe most of it is in your head. It's not as obvious as you think it is. In fact, you can hardly see it until you look extremely close."

I let out a shaky sigh as my eyes began to water as I thought about how stuck I was, I didn't want to see his name anymore. I wanted to wake up one day and see that his name had miraculously disappeared from my arm. I didn't want to be forced to get a tattoo because it was my only option of covering his name. Plus, I didn't exactly have hundreds, potentially thousands to spend on something trivial as a tattoo. I began to rub my temples as I felt a migraine coming along.

"Avery. I am going to recommend you go see Dr Parker, the first five sessions are complimentary." She spoke softly as she scribbled on a piece of paper.

"Who is Dr Parker?" I asked as worry began to wash over me.

She stopped writing to look at me, "I need you to keep an open mind with this."

"Who are they?" I asked more assertively.

She let out a sigh, before entwining her fingers within each other as she placed them on the table, "He is an excellent psychologist."

I let out a chuckle as I shook my head, "You want me to talk about my problems with a stranger."

"I think you are caving from your problems. So, yes. I need you to see him and talk to him. You use these five sessions, if you don't feel better I will buy you lunch." She said as she smiled at me.

"Might be an expensive lunch." I mumbled the words as I looked around the room, trying to decide.

I let out a sigh, "I'll try-"

"You need-"

"Yes, I know. I need to keep an open mind." I added, smiling at her when she had smiled at me for saying the words.

"Good. I'll see you in two weeks, Avery." She said as she handed me my prescription and referral.

She called out to me just as I opened the door, I stopped to stare at her.

"Look after yourself. Okay?" She spoke softly. I smiled and nodded in reassurance before walking out, meeting Alena where she still sat.

"Are we going to dads house now? I'm starved." She said.

I let out a chuckle as I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, "Yes. We are going to dads house."

"Dinner is ready!" Ashley called out. Well, she had to raise her voice louder than ours as we sat here screaming in laughter. Here we sat; Drew, Michael, Isaac and me as we tried to survive our fifteenth round of zombies, while Alena who was too scared to play had no issues with screaming out "Behind You" as the zombies got closer to us. I would go into a laughing fit every time Alena would squeal before pointing frantically at the screen.

After my doctors appointment I had messaged Isaac to let him know we had finished, I asked if I should pick him up but preferred to meet me there. I assumed it was to pick up Nikki, but once again he came on his own. It reminded me to ask him why she didn't come last night to bowling. Had he forgotten to invite her? Or did she have prior commitment with her family? It didn't bother me that she didn't show up but had me intrigued about what was happening.

'Stay out of it.'

"Where's Nik, man? I noticed she wasn't at bowling last night." Drew asked as he remained focussed on the screen.

My eyes quickly moved to Isaac who clenched his jaw before responding, "Didn't invite her."

"How come?" I asked.

Isaac's eyes moved to look at me before he bit onto his bottom lip, "Just need to re-evaluate the situation" he said as his eyes looked over at Michael and Alena, who were both fixated onto the game. Drew and I nodded in acknowledgment as we continued the game.

"Guys. Dinner is ready. I've called you three times. Come on. Chop chop." Ashley said as she came into the room clapping her hands at us. Turning the TV off we all finally got up and followed her into the dining room.

"Where's Dad?" Michael asked as he took a seat in between Drew and Alena.

"He's just in his office, he's coming out now." Ashley said as she poured their plates, before placing food into mine and Isaac's plates. After thanking her, we took our seats across from Drew, Michael and Alena.

"Food smells delicious, darling." Dad said as he came to sit at the head of the table. After we all greeted him, Ashley sat down with her plate of food before we all began to eat. There were animated conversations between everyone. Michael and Alena were making fun of their friend who had a crush on someone, Dad was talking to me about school and how my grades were going, Drew and Isaac spoke bikes and Ashley just had a motherly grin on her face as she watched over all of us.

"Weren't you supposed to go see Detective Watson two weeks ago?" Drew asked as he ate at his chicken schnitzel. I gaped at him for a few seconds until realisation sunk in on his face.

"You've been in contact with them?" Dad asked.

I bit onto my inner cheek as I looked at my dad who had now stopped eating, putting all focus on me. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I nodded.

"Yeah. He wanted me to come in two weeks ago to talk about the night at my old place. Just a formality thing." I said.

"What else?" He asked as he cut into his food, maintaining full eye contact. I was struggling to lie to the man and I have no idea why.

I let out a sigh before deciding to tell him everything, in discretion because I had Michael and Alena in hearing reach.

"So, why haven't you gone in?" He asked as he creased his eyebrows in confusion.

"Dad. We are done. Can we go play video games?" Michael asked.

Dad looked at me before looking at Alena and Michaels plates, "Good man. Go wash your hands you two and you can go play your games."

I winked at Alena as she smiled at me before following Michael to the bathroom. I took a sip of water before looking at Dad again. I knew this conversations was far from over.

"Why aren't you pressing charges?" Ashley asked.

"No need. Jaxon's Mum is pressing charges against him for the hit and run."

"Don't you think it will be a stronger case against him if you pressed charges to?" Dad added.

"Do you have a lawyer? I have an excellent one who is amazing at finding dirt on people." Dad said as he unlocked his phone.

I gently leaned over to place my hand over his arm to stop him, "I can't afford a lawyer and this trial is for his hit and run. Has nothing to do with me."

"Kiddo. Let me cover the expenses." Dad said as he leaned over to hold my hand.

I smiled warmly before shaking my head, "No, dad. There's no need. Can we please change the subject?" I begged.

"Lawyer or no lawyer. I still think you should help the cops nip the son of a bitch" Drew huffed the words out.

"Language on the dinner table." Ashley spoke sternly.

"Sorry, ma." Drew whined back.

"I agree." Dad spoke up. I looked around to see the others nodding their head, including Isaac.

"Call the police and arrange a time to meet them. I am happy to take you" Dad spoke up.

"I will." I said as I looked down at my food.

My dads phone came to view, making me look up at him in confusion,l.

"Now." He demanded.

I knew there was no winning this. Letting out a sigh, I grabbed his phone before dialing Detective Watson's number.

"Watson."

"It's me. Avery."

"Ms Winters. To what do I owe this pleasure." He spoke the words in a cockily way.

I rolled my eyes as I said the words everyone wanted to hear, "I'm ready to talk about what happened that night."

"It's about time, Avery." Watson responded.

A/N: My little bears! Oh how I have missed you guys! Had a bit of a road block with writing lately so fingers crossed it's smooth sailing! Hope you enjoyed it and as always, don't forget to vote! Love you xx

Next Chapter: Jaxon has a little surprise for Avery and Avery finally faces off with Detective Watson.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro