31/07/2017- Review of "Six of Crows"

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I don't do book reviews often, but recently finishing Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, it's prompted me to write a full, honest review of the book, so if anyone you know keeps raving to you about how good it was (like me) you can see the book from a more logical, all around perspective.

(Also, this review is 100% spoiler free, don't worry)

Now, I originally read this book after almost every book fanatic I knew was telling me how amazing Six of Crows was and how I needed to read it or else I was missing out on life. While I did read it, a general hype usually withdraws me from the book a little. So, I was initially a little skeptical. Let's start out with the good parts.

Pros

- The plot. Oh my gosh, the plot was so captivating, I loved it. Everything about how Leigh Bardugo crafted the plot of Six of Crows, in my opinion, was original, interesting, and hooking for me. This kind of plot and style is exactly what I want to imitate as an author. To wrap up simply, it was gorgeous.

- The characters. This might not be the best person to trust (I don't usually hate or even dislike characters) but the main characters of Six of Crows were all beyond awesome. While they all had their flaws, they were still all so loveable, and it was clear they were all like real humans. She added diversity, different personalities and traits, all without shoving it down your throat. Another thing I wish to imitate as an author.

Meh

- There is traces of homosexuality. Now, I'm usually very against gay, but I'm putting in in the 'Meh' section for one of two reasons. The first reason is, it's a very small amount. It's in a small amounts, and those small amounts aren't very showy or anything, so it's not to the point it was incredibly uncomfortable for me. The second reason (which is personally the bigger reason) is that it's not shoved at you in a very rude manner. A lot of these movements will shove it at you, and that as when it really becomes a problem. Leigh did it so that she acknowledged it exists and it's there, but it's not loud and showy, and it doesn't scream "HEY LOOK AT THIS I'M PART OF A DIVERSE COMMUNITY DOESN'T THAT MAKE ME SPECIAL?" kind of thing.

Bad

- There is a lot of swearing. Now, while most of it is what I'd consider mild, there is a few times where it's much more vulgar and above what I would prefer to read. But those times are few. Mostly, it's a lot of mild swearing throughout the book, which I'm not very fond of, personally.

- The amount of worldliness in the book. There is a very good amount of referencing to worldly things, which I'm not very fond of. Now, there's nothing really disgusting written (like what Wattpad would consider mature content) but the reference to it is very heavy, which is a huge turn away for me.

In the end, I'm going to rate it in different categories:

PLOT: 4.5/5
STYLE: 4/5
CHARACTER: 4/5
MY MORAL STANDARDS: 2.3/5

All in all, if you look at the book itself, I would say Six of Crows was a very good read. (This was surprisingly fun, I'll have to do more of these)

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro