Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Claire lay back in bed under her pink flowery comforter, wearing her Ollie's sleeping tee. She giggled, replying to Ollie's text. He was still in the hospital, and before going to sleep he wanted Claire to tell him everything about her night adventure.

The girl looked up from her phone when Alex knocked and came into her room. Weird, the girl thought, she wasn't mad. But Claire knew better than hoping to get away with what she'd done in the woods without at least some scolding. So she texted a hurried, "gotta go," and faced her aunt.

"I know what you're about to tell me, Al, and—"

"It's alright, kiddo."

Alex's soft interruption took Claire by surprise, and she studied her aunt with a suspicious frown as Alex sat at the edge of the bed.

"You gotta bear with me," Alex said. "'Cause it's still hard for me, y'know? I mean, letting you roam around, wreaking havoc without me there to have your back. I know you're kicking ass, but..." She shrugged with a tight smile.

Her words left Claire speechless.

Alex patted her hand and nodded to her phone. "How's Ollie?"

Claire moved her lips without a sound until she was able to overcome her surprise and speak. "Fine, fine. Lorrigan's letting him out tomorrow morning, in time for the funeral. But he still has to rest until the stitches fall out. How's Tom?"

"Take your guess."

The girl faked Tom's deep, serious voice. "I'm fine."

They chuckled and Alex stood up. "Don't stay up, kiddo. We gotta be at the cemetery by nine."

"Sure. Night, Al."

"Night, Claire."

Despite Tom's refusal, Alex spent a good while taking care of him. She applied ointment to his bruised face and the colored map on his belly, giving him a speedwell tea while she tended to the hundred cuts and scratches on his hands and arms.

He put up some serious grumbling when she made him lie down and covered his fevered forehead with a wet cloth.

"Alex, please, I'm—"

"Fine my ass. Three fights in little more than twenty-four hours is too much even for your garthling blood."

Tom let out a loud, exasperated huff that made her scoff. Before he took offense, she rested her hand on his cheek.

"Plus, nursing you like this brings me nice memories," she said, softening her tone.

Her smile curled up Tom's lips in response. She finished spreading the ointment and pulled his T-shirt down.

"I should check lore books for a cure for alpha pride," she said. "I'm damn sure that's what's hurts the most for you."

That made him chuckle and Alex just had to kiss him. But when he ran his fingers through her hair, she broke the kiss and sat up.

"Oh, no, Mr. Sutton. You ain't banging your way outta the nursing."

Tom frowned. "Banging?" he repeated. "That's what you do? You bang me?"

"Now you're playing offended. Aren't you full of tricks tonight."

Tom frowned deeper—no rephrasing?

"Try to sleep," she said, struggling to not laugh in his face.

He pulled the wet cloth over his eyes, grunting, "Banging!"

Alex got in bed dying to hug him. And thank him. Not only for saving her life a dozen times that night alone. Mostly for allowing her to have those little breaks from what burdened her heart.

She almost choked, swallowing a giggle when she rested her head on his shoulder and he grumbled, "Getting tender with the dude you bang?"

Her lips stroke his ear when she whispered, "It's okay, 'cause the dude I bang is the loveliest guy on earth."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro