[008] allies and reluctant friends

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

008. allies and reluctant friends

Phoenix had been very pleased with his tributes when they had returned from training last night, evidently happy with the fact they'd listened to him. The two of them had come back with three possible allies in Johanna, Finnick and Peeta — as a result of these Mags and Katniss would probably join them too. It's a long shot, especially Katniss due to her perceived dislike of people, but it's their best shot.

Today, Phoenix has instructed them to simply build on the already budding friendships but also practice the skills they will need in the games. Emerald has decided that today she will focus on survival skills over the use of weapons, wanting to learn how to pick poisonous berries from edible ones and also know how to treat wounds.

It's evident rather quickly that stitching of open wounds is something she is pretty good at, all those years of sewing outfits coming in handy. So that's where she sits now, on one of the stools with her tongue hanging out slightly in concentration. The rest of the world around her simply fades into the background, the girl feeling like she's back home. There is the positive of her mother not being here though, rushing her with threats of no food until she's done.

Instead, she simply gets to go at her own pace and ignore everybody in the room.

Even less tributes have turned up today, many of the older ones choosing to lock themselves away on their floor instead of train in front of their competition. She can't see the sense in it, why throw away any chance you have of getting better? Why not embrace the help why you have it?

Thankfully, neither her or Silas shared the mindset of the other tributes. Instead, they both headed down here as soon as it was open to the tributes and got started. She's been floating around all the survival stations for the last two hours, learning new skills that may come in handy when they reach the arena — if she's alive long enough to use them that is.

Humming a nursery rhyme from her childhood as she works, the brunette doesn't even notice the eyes on her from across the room. A rather stoic Katniss Everdeen is watching the girl whom her District Partner has grown rather fond of in a relatively short period of time. The pace that Emerald stitches up the wounds, the fake ones that is, is particularly impressive and reminds the girl of her mother in some ways.

Katniss doesn't want allies, it would probably be better if it were just her and Peeta, but Haymitch has been extremely persistent. So, she's going to give it a shot. She eyes Emerald up for a few more moments before finally deciding just to give in, walking over and standing behind her.

"That's really impressive," Katniss comments, startling the brunette and causing her to drop the needle. It's a little amusing to the girl from Twelve, the way a Victor doesn't have awareness of what's happening around her. "I've never seen somebody that quick at stitching,"

"Oh- thank you," Emerald accepts the girl's compliment, turning her head to smile up at the newest Victor. She's a little intimidating, admittedly, but Emerald doesn't let it bother her.

"Are you a medic?" Katniss asks, drawing a conclusion that couldn't be much further from the truth. Medics are few and far between in District Eight because most people simply think you can simply sew a wound together and there will be no problems. She's lost count of the amount of times her mother had threaded a needle through her skin, closing deep gashes that she picked up as a child.

"No, I just used to help with the sewing down at the factories in Eight," Emerald replies.

"Does some of the best stitching in the District this one,"

The sound of Silas' voice makes Katniss tense and Emerald look over at him in shock. She isn't quite sure how he knows that, to her knowledge he's never bought anything from her. Although, her mother has taken the credit for numerous pieces she's made, so he probably has one of those.

"My closet is full of clothes she's made," Silas adds on, crossing his arms over his chest and watching the two girls with a hint of a smile. The compliment, and subsequent follow up, makes her face heat up.

"I'm sure they're great," Katniss sounds as if she's trying to be genuine, but it's so obvious that she is feeling both uncomfortable and outnumbered.

"Peeta told me he quite likes baking, which in some ways is like sewing. A lot of skill and patience," Emerald says, switching the topic of conversation away from herself and towards the girl's fiancé.

"Uh yeah, he used to decorate them at his family's bakery. He's really good at it,"

The fondness in her eyes makes Emerald smile, all talk of the perceived fake relationship practically non existent in the back of her mind now. Sure, there is probably some theatrics to their relationship, but that's just the way it is in the Capitol. If even a slight rumor of a foul play spread through the Capitol, Katniss and Peeta would be in a lot of trouble.

"I'm sure he is. I remember him disguising himself away in the Games last year," Emerald replies softly, her mind casting back to when he'd hidden by the stream by using his surroundings and camouflaging himself into it. "Quite amazing actually,"

"Indeed," Silas agrees.

Peeta, unbeknownst to the fact they were just talking about him, walks over and greets the trio kindly. Emerald notices the way his eyes flick to Katniss, almost as if he's questioning her about something. There's a slight nod of her head, so small that Emerald almost doesn't catch her doing it. Peeta's face relaxes and he turns to the tributes from District Eight.

"Would you two like to join us for lunch?"

The following day she had done a mixture of the stations and decided to show off her stitching and knife throwing skills for her private session with the Game makers. They probably weren't really that impressed, it is skills they've seen a hundred times before, but she managed to pull in a solid score of 7. Silas had managed a nine. However, what was most surprising was the 12s that Katniss and Peeta had managed to pull.

Obviously, it is a tactic of Snow's to get the two of them targeted by the rest of the victors. It'll more than likely work, especially with the tributes from one and two.

Now that training is over, Emerald knows what's coming next. The interviews had been one of her most nerve wracking parts of her original trip to the Capitol, she'd almost had a panic attack in the wings but thankfully she had Francisco to help calm her down. He was great with her — gentle, kind and understanding. Without him, she would've fallen apart before the Games even really started. Furthermore, she wouldn't be here today.

"What are you thinking so hard about?"

Emerald allows her eyes to flick over to the brunette boy who sits across from her. She's been on the roof for the past hour, simply staring down at the Capitol below her as the gentle breeze pushes against her face.

"Everything," Emerald sighs, watching Silas who nods.

"Yeah, there's a lot to think about here," He admits, unable to elaborate any further as he seemingly gets distracted by all the noise in the streets. The betting boards are visible from here, neither of them with a particularly high odds.

"I'll be happy when this is over, you know?" Emerald starts, not connecting his gaze when he looks at her. "Whether it's with my last breath or not, I can't wait until I get to be free from the Capitol,"

"Free? I don't think we'll ever truly be free. And if we do die, it'll be the ones we care about that they bother instead,"

"Well, I don't have many of them. I somehow think my mother won't be too distraught if I don't come home and whilst Phoenix may be upset, he can handle it. It'll be nothing he hasn't done before,"

Silas ponders her words for a few moments. "Your mother is- well she's one of the most unique people I've ever met,"

"She's a bitch, you can say it,"

He chuckles lightly and shakes his head. "I remember the first day I did meet her. She was selling some of the clothes that she had said were stitched by her, but I knew different. I'd seen you around, and the particular shirt I bought, I saw you making it on your porch steps,"

Emerald wasn't aware anybody actually payed that much attention to her, especially not the boy whom she didn't even know.

"It was one of the best shirts I owned, well made and it lasted years. The only reason I stopped wearing it is because I outgrew it," Silas adds.

"Mother always said that a flimsy piece of clothing would only make us poorer. If I made a mistake, I'd have to start over and make it perfect," Emerald admits. She's looking at him now. "That's how I got so good at it because I had to remake a lot of clothes, especially when I was younger,"

"Well, when I came to buy another, she gave me one she had just finished stitching herself. Broke within weeks,"

"Never was one to practice what she preached my mother,"

Emerald is convinced that many of the orders that were brought to them to be repaired were flimsy because Jewel had made them. It got so bad at one point, that people actually stopped coming to them for clothes for a while. Their reputation plummeted until somebody came by and bought a light blue button up dress shirt.

"Whatever she's said to you, don't listen. Sometimes, people just don't appreciate a good thing whilst they've got it," Silas says softly, his head leaning back against the brick wall behind him.

Emerald eyes are gentle as she looks at him, gratitude swimming in her gaze whilst she takes in his words. For years, Phoenix has been the one to have her back and provide her with the comfort she needs. It's nice to have somebody else chime in every now and again, because it would never have happened with her mother back home.

"I've met a lot of people in my life, Emerald. Both her and back home in Eight, and most of them don't hold a candle to you," Silas adds.

"You hardly know me," Emerald breathes out, his words making her cheeks flush. "My mother could be right,"

"Your mother is a bigoted moron. Everything about you is what she wishes she was. It may have only been a few days, but I know that there is nothing but compassion and kindness in your heart. Don't let her tear that down, Emmy, she's not worth it,"

Emmy. Emmy?

Nobody had ever called her that before, nor had she ever thought of it herself. It's almost... endearing? She's not quite sure, but what she does know is that she quite likes it.

Emerald smiles and leans over, kissing the boy on the cheek. "Thank you Silas. I'm going to head to bed now, I'll see you in the morning,"

The brunette pushes herself up from the floor and wraps her arms around herself, heading back inside. Silas sits there for a few more moments, watching as she walks away. He can't stop the smile that appears on his face, his eyes then traveling to the large board in the Capitol square that has her name and face on it.

His gaze then travels down lower to find 'the girl on fire' and he sighs. These Games, they're about change and with the help of his allies and Phoenix, he knows he can get himself and Emerald out alive.

Even if it means rebelling against the Capitol.

Note!

Double update! Hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro