Font size
Chiều cao dòng

~ I don't quite know, how to say,
How I feel!
Those three words, are said too much,
But not enough!
If I lay here, if I just lay here,
Would you lie with me and just forget the world? ~

Suman stood in front of her mirror, twisting handful of hair to roll and pin them back, like she usually did. Letting a few locks fall free, she combed the rest of her hair, and let them fall down her shoulders. Removing the non existent crease from her knee long sky blue kurti, she took her time to adjust the dupatta around her neck. She couldn't help but recall the last time she wore this suit, the night they had accepted each other's friendship again. Smiling to herself, she was almost done when Dabbu came running in, looking all handsome in his new t-shirt and cargo pants.

"Suman Didi, you aren't ready yet?", his eyes went wide as he puffed his cheeks and crossed his arms, "We will be late", he mentioned looking at the watch Suman had gifted him on his last birthday.

"Aree mere Dabbu, we won't be late! I am done", she ruffled his hairs and he groaned at his ruined hairstyle. Chuckling, Suman picked up her phone and wallet, before moving to the kitchen.

"Go sit in the car, and I will be out any minute", Suman instructed, and Dabbu happily ran out, picking up her car keys in the process.

"Come soon. Shravan Bhiaya won't cut the cake without me, he has promised", his words lingered in the air even though he was already out, opening the car door.

Suman smiled as she entered the kitchen. Picking up the casserole, she emptied the dish from the vessel into it, and decorated it with the dry fruits she had already kept cut and ready. The aroma satisfied her, and she was certain he would not be disappointed either.

"Kab tak aaogi?"

Her whatsapp pinged and Suman shook her head at his impatience, although in her heart she felt a certain amount of pride. His entire family and her family being there was not enough for him, he still wanted her to be there.

"A few more minutes", she replied him back immediately, and hurried her actions. Locking the main door, she carefully kept the casserole in the back seat before making her way to the driver's seat. Dabbu gave her a sheepish smile and Suman rolled her eyes at him. Sometimes it didn't even seem that he was still a child, he acted like her elder brother.

When they finally entered the Malhotra Mansion, Suman immediately caught Shravan's eyes, it was like his gaze was stuck at the door. She gave him a bright smile of hers, only to receive a small, but genuine smile from him. The restlessness from his face disappeared, and she could see it in the way his shoulders relaxed. In a black shirt and grey trousers, he looked every bit of the dapper he was.

The party consisted of their families and some important people from their work circle. Not too loud, not too cozy either. Suman stood in a corner playing with Mishri as she watched Shravan standing with his father, chuckling at whatever the men were discussing. After that first eye contact, he had not seen her way again, and she knew that but simultaneously she also knew the importance of her being present, for him.

Everyone around her was happy, her family and his. Even she was. And she knew he was too, the way his eyes smiled gave that away. It was the second birthday they were celebrating for Shravan, after almost a decade of only phone wishes. She didn't even had that opportunity.

He knew her eyes were on him, he had known it all along. So when his mother brought in the specially baked cake for him, he smiled wider and thanked her by kissing her forehead. Ram sighed in relief, because for a greater part of time, he had believed he would never see her son smiling again, not with him and his mother especially.

Slicing the cake, Shravan fed everyone, except Nanu and ofcourse Suman. He didn't take any steps towards her and she didn't make an attempt to come closer to the table either. After a lot of wishes, and some Smacking from Varun and a lot of high pitched giggles from Preeti and Vandy, and of course, tons of pictures later, the party resumed and the dinner buffet began.

Nirmala and Manju exchanged glances, they wanted their children to Atleast acknowledge each other, but neither of them did, according to each other. Suman stood at a good distance from Shravan and he didn't take any step towards her either. No body from their families were sure if Suman had even wished Shravan, but they kept quiet nevertheless.

Shravan giggled when he saw his parents bringing him gifts, hiding it behind them, like he was a child to be surprised. He acted along though, feigned big eyes and a shocked face before breaking into pearls of laughter altogether, with Pushkar.

"Seriously Badi maa, you thought you could surprise your Qutub Minar of a son by hiding it behind you?", Pushkar meant it as a tease, but at his choice of words, Suman's eyes shot up immediately and she found Shravan stealing glances at her too. She raised her eyebrows in question and he very softly shook his head, without letting anyone notice the small exchange.

Anyone expect their beloved Nanu, who smirked. He had been observing both of them closely, and his heart couldn't be more proud of them. Despite everything, the Chasmish and his Sumo hadn't still withered away.

Which was exactly why, he didn't question when he saw Suman sneaking out of the house, at 11 in the night. Sometimes, it's better to let things take their time.

Suman walked into the known territory of the park, walking quick steps, cursing her fate. She intended to come here straight from the party, but things didn't work out and she had to drive her family home first. Her steps halted when she recognised the figure sitting on one of the benches, quite as the night, looking at the moon.

She settled beside him, and though he noticed her, he didn't remove his eyes from the sky. Suman shifted close, and rested her head on his shoulder, looping her arms around his elbow.

"I am late again, no?", her voice was so soft like a child Shravan couldn't help but let out an amused chuckle.

"When are you not? But that's okay. I have been waiting, every time and probably will always", he tilted his head to kiss her hairs and Suman raised his head to look at him in the eye.

Forwarding the casserole, she opened the lid and her eyes twinkled.

"Happy birthday Chasmish"

Shravan inhaled the mouth watering fragrance of his favourite moong daal ka halwa, and returned her smile, only brighter. Taking the plastic knife from her hands, he cut it like a cake and fed her the first piece. Suman moaned in delight at her own cooking making him softly chuckle.

She then watched him eat the entire dish, without even offering her any. It was in these rare moments, Suman saw a glimpse of her Shravan, it gave her hope it wasn't the end yet.

Once done, Shravan shifted and settled his head in her lap, his long legs folded because stretching them won't fit him in that small bench. Suman ran her fingers through his hairs, watching his face as he closed his eyes and sighed.

"You can go Suman, I won't stop you from going away", Shravan whispered, and both of them knew he wasn't talking about her going home now.

"I don't want too, I can never", she answered equally soft, her voice made him open his eyes and a lone tear drop escaped the confinement of his eyes.

"You still have hope in me Sumo? Even after everything?", he choked and Suman instinctively kept her hand on his mouth.

"I will always have hope in us, Shravan. Especially after everything", she answered him, and he turned to hide his face in her stomach, saying nothing more. She didn't speak anything either, but sat with him the remaining night, in silence until the first ray of sun broke out and it was important to go home.

Until they had these seldom moments, they were certain of their survival, whatever the circumstances!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro