1 | Monkey Business

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I never knew what I wanted. Well... that's not entirely true. I wanted a lot of things growing up but none of them ever seemed to want me back. I guess that's just how it goes when you want everything all at once. You get nothing. That was fine with me as well. I thought I could be satisfied with what little I managed to grasp until I found what I truly wanted.

Honk. Honk-Honk. Honk, honk, ho-o-o-onk.

"Knock it off, Michael. He's coming. ¡Uf!"

I took my hand from the horn as Lynn groaned in the same way our mother did when I tracked dirt in after telling me to take my shoes off for the fiftieth time. She removed her grip on my headrest and slouched back into her seat to bury herself in her new phone. I held back my laughter, knowing how eager she was to get to school. My little sister just turned fifteen and she was desperate to impress. I went to breakfast to find mom crying and wailing in Spanish about how her little girl was dead.

Looking in the rearview mirror I agreed. I almost considered the possibility of a doppelganger. Only two weeks into her freshman year and she changed her whole character. The pale little redhead in light, frilly dresses and her favorite cardigan was gone. She was replaced by a bleach blonde copycat in skinny jeans and a flowy vibrant green short sleeve with white polka dots. She looked mature, confident even. Most importantly though, she looked happy.

That girl couldn't compare to the broken one my parents adopted five years prior. She came to us as an orphan after a terrible house fire. It took some time for her to settle into her new life with us but it was quicker than mom expected. She barely spoke about it, only to a therapist. I barely recognized her and I couldn't help but smile at that fact. I thought she looked happier.

The passenger's door opening kept me grounded from these thoughts momentarily. I turned to watch my best friend drop himself tiredly into the space beside me. His book bag slid down his legs to the floor by his tattered sneakers where it folded over. I doubt he ever carried anything in it to begin with. With a sigh and crossed arms he pressed his forehead against the window, purposefully avoiding my gaze.

I smiled, leaning closer as I noticed his foot tapping impatiently, "Come on, Alex. I'm not asking for perfection, just a smile."

Finally he turned toward me. The expression that greeted me was not a rewarding grin but a menacing scowl. Most people would scare from a glare so harsh. Highlighted by the scars scattered over his face, they'd think he was troubled. After fifteen years, I knew him a little better not to sway to his threats. When he smiled, any flaw almost completely disappeared. It just took patience.

When all I could do was hold back my laugh, he rolled his eyes and leaned back into his seat, "Just drive before my mom wakes up to see you."

I craned my neck to peer at the small trailer home he stepped out of, "And miss a chance to see her in a nightgown?"

"Michael," he wanted and closed his eyes before calmly saying, "you talk too much. Shut up and drive."

Lynn jumped forward again to mangle the headrest and get our attention, "Yes, please get me out of here. This place gives me the creeps."

That outburst came out of nowhere. She never said anything like this before. I frowned and took a brief glance around us to see the same exterior as usual. The neighborhood was admittedly a bit run out; torn down fences, roaming strays, unkempt yards, and people and houses that once saw better days. We never had trouble there though. Why she would suddenly be scared was beyond me?

I shook the thought away and put the car in drive to pull out down the narrow street. The potholes seemed a lot more noticeable now. Lynn bobbed with them as she stayed hovering behind me. Her fingers dug into the cushion, pulling out a few of my hairs. When I hissed at her to sit down she flat out ignored me and leaned forward to smile at Alex.

"What do you think of my hair, Alex?"

After a second of her not taking the hint, he sighed and turned his head to humor her. His eyes drifted over her as if actually considering it. Then he turned back and with a straight face told her, "I liked it before."

I snorted trying to suppress my laughter. I liked that he didn't say he hated it but it was fine before, implying it didn't matter to him. Lynn took it as an insult. She huffed in disappointment and flopped back down with her arms folded over her chest. I narrowed my eyes at her in the mirror and with a stern voice told her, "Put your seatbelt on, Karalynn."

She groaned again and swore at me in Spanish but grudgingly did as I said. I didn't know whether to feel satisfied or aggravated with her now. I chose to ignore it and scanned the sidewalks we passed. The pavement crumbled into gravel, mixing with the street. Cars took up the space where the curb once was leaving little room for pedestrians, only worsening the problem.

I frowned as I pictured someone trying to traverse these streets safely, "Is Nona still walking?"

As we left sight of his house he sat up straighter, finally joining us in this world. He ran a hand through his shaggy blond hair before answering me, "Of course, she's pissed. You did a shitty thing."

I slumped at his accusatory tone and grumbled my response, "I didn't do anything."

Even with my eyes trained on the road I could feel that irritated, big brother look burning the side of my face, "You embarrassed her. You honked at her and made her drop her books in front of a bus full of kids. Instead of getting out and helping her you laughed. To make it worse you followed the bus, waving at her like some psycho-dad. They made fun of her the whole way. She doesn't need that right now."

"Why would she get on the bus anyway?" I argued, aggravated by all the blame being thrown my way. "We agreed I'd take you so she wouldn't have to."

"What made you think she'd ever get in this car with you?"

"This is a nice car," I defended with a little more force than necessary.

I only had it a year but I knew what I was doing. It was dad's before me. I'm more just borrowing it until I save the money to buy the one I really want. He bought it brand new, never driven, because mom liked its safety rating. There wasn't much I knew about cars except they go fast and girls looked at you differently when you had one. Mom and dad didn't know that though. I was just happy to get from point A to B on my own. A sleek car with a backseat was just a bonus. Nona didn't need to be scared of it.

He shrugged me off as he always did and trailed his vacant gaze back outside, "It's not her type."

"And you're in it," Lynn added with a slight smirk as she ganged up on me with Alex.

They just loved picking on me when it came to Nona. I glared through the rearview, frustrated by the fact they were right. If anyone knew what she liked and disliked it was them. She didn't speak openly with anyone else anymore. Not like she used to, not since she was eight.

Kara's attention focused back on the small device in her hands, ignoring me again. She had that thing less than twenty hours and she was already addicted to it. I huffed and leaned back in my seat, "Fine, let her be a baby then."

"It wouldn't kill you to apologize, Michael."

I ignored Alex, refusing to rehash this argument. I did nothing wrong. She overreacted to everything I did for her. There's no apologizing to that girl anymore. She's just like her brother, only more violent and unforgiving. They both need to chill out.

The car was barely in park before Lynn jumped out. She stood outside waiting as Alex and I took our sweet time. Unlike Lynn this was our senior year and the longer I dragged about the less time I spent there. After three more years I was sure she'd understand. It surprised me how eager she was given that her middle school experience went so terribly.

The moment the warm breeze entered the car her words traveled with it. She went on and on about her new history teacher without a breath. Alex and I shared a knowing look over the hood of my car, both with the same thought. The old guy who barely stayed on his feet let alone a discussion. Mr. Walston worked there longer than any other teacher. He was nice but old fashioned.

"I thought he was the cutest little old man." I rolled my eyes as she gushed, then her face turned sour as she turned to me, "Then he gave us a quiz, on the first Friday of the school year. He hasn't even gone over anything. He just wanted to 'See what we already knew'."

I gestured my head in the direction of the brick building with my eyes still on Alex and imparted my sister with a trade secret, "He's an easy A, Lynn."

Her brows knitted together curiously as she followed Alex and I for more information. Before I could continue he gave her the easiest answer he could, "Just ask him about his pet doves. Class will come to a stand still so he can tell you stories and show you pictures of them. He'll forget to even teach you anything."

Just like that my existence was forgotten. She stared at Alex as if his words were holy. I rolled my eyes at her lost gaze and shoved through the glass doors of the entrance. The sound of chattering students overwhelmed my senses immediately. I felt stranded at the edge of a cliff ready to be swallowed by the torrential waters below. I sighed and moved out of the way to allow them ahead of me.

I was already over this place.

Alex took a few steps then paused to look back at me. He raised a brow as if asking if everything was alright. For a moment I stood there asking myself the same question. I had barely stepped in the door and it felt like all my energy drained. I took a second to harmonize myself with my surroundings again.

I closed my eyes, took a breath, and shook away the feeling. With my mind cleared I showed him a confident smile and rejoined them back on solid ground, "He doesn't even give homework. It's mostly participation grades. You'll do fine but if you want to take the cheater's route just tell him he has the prettiest birds you've ever seen."

I gave Alex a disapproving look. I wasn't going to let him taint my little sister because he was too lazy to participate in class. If she started taking his attitude toward school for every class she'd fail and our parents would blame me for not guiding her properly. The only reason it worked for him was because he was smart. He could easily laze his way to a C in anything.

No offense to Lynn, but she wasn't exactly gifted in the brains department. She was also just as lazy. I had to constantly stay on her about studying. If you let her slip she'd fall straight through the cracks and never resurface. Alex just rolled his eyes at me as we continued our path side by side.

Lynn gave a nod in consideration so I knew she was listening. It was hard to get her attention sometimes but she always listened, even if it came with a few swears. She wanted to avoid conflict. She followed closely beside me, scanning the wave of students as if searching for something. I assumed I knew exactly who she was looking for.

I turned to Alex and asked him, "Did Nona make it?"

He shrugged and pulled out his own phone to check the time, "I'm sure she's somewhere. She's a big girl now, she'll be fine."

I frowned at his nonchalance and glanced back at Lynn. If it were her walking all that way I wouldn't be as laid back. It's almost a forty-five minute journey. She'd just turned fifteen and she was still naïve. Then again Nona wasn't like Lynn and Alex wasn't me.

As if to prove this someone bumped into her, knocking her into me. She frowned but resigned herself to a safer position behind us, staying as close as she could. If it wasn't for Alex's tall, broad frame, I'd get lost myself. The crowd split like wood at the sight of him. He strolled lazily through without a care about the effect he had on people.

I sighed and reached my hand around to rub the nape of my neck as I asked, "Did she... say she was walking home after school too?"

He side-eyed me and as he looked down I felt smaller than my already short height pervaded. Then the corner of his lip tilted ever so slightly and I knew I asked too much, "Just say you're sorry, Mike."

Despite myself, my face heated at an alarming rate. I turned it away from him with a scowl, "Forget I said anything."

He chuckled as we stopped in front of my locker. I wanted to bash my head into it until everything went silent. I wanted him to smile but not at my expense. Not like this.

"She'll talk to you again if you really mean it."

I leaned forward to hide in my locker as he continued teasing me. My words echoed off the gray metal walls, "There is no talking to her anymore. Just shouting curses and abuse."

"She doesn't give second chances easily, that's for sure." I heard the locker beside mine clatter as he leaned against before quietly muttering, "She's sensitive."

"I wonder where she gets that from," I mumbled sarcastically, knowing he couldn't hear me.

If anyone knew about sensitivities it was Alex. He could be the most uptight, temperamental person I knew. Most of the time though he was the opposite. I straightened myself in time to catch him yawning. Compared to back on his street he was much more relaxed here. With his guard down next to me his eyes wandered the halls, the bags under them clearly visible.

He turned back and opened his mouth to say something only to shut it as he was interrupted, "You guys won't believe how God has blessed our final year."

Alex crossed his arm and smirked as Desmond approached with an energetic hop in his step. His usual cornrows were down in short, springy coils. He let it grow out over the Summer and planned to cut it for the new year. He always put a lot of time into his mane and rambled on about the effort. You couldn't really complain because it paid off. His hair always looked refreshed and shiny.

"Nice hair, D." I complimented without hesitation as he bounced to a stop beside us, "It's got perfect bounce and sheen. Whaddya do for tangles."

"Oh, uh..." He pushed the curls back and glanced to the floor in embarrassment, "I just ran my fingers through for sheds and whatever."

I smiled wider at his lame attempt to avoid the subject. I knew it wasn't as simple as raking his fingers through it. That was what I did and it showed in the mess of curls on my head. He always dodged my compliments but I knew he also craved them. Whether he said it or not, having someone praise your hard work means the world.

"What's this blessing all about?"

I steered the conversation away and he perked back up only to stop and look behind me, "I don't think it's appropriate for younger audiences."

I turned my head to find Lynn stood, lingering behind my locker door like a lost lamb, "What are you still doing here?"

Usually she'd already be off searching for Nona. She hopped nervously from foot to foot, biting her lip, "Oh, I, uh..."

She couldn't even formulate a cohesive sentence before Tyler straggled in behind her. It was hard to miss him from across the hall. I said Alex was tall but Tyler was a tower. At seventeen he almost had to duck under the doorframes to get to class. It was a struggle for someone like me to even look at him.

He and Desmond were the only other people I considered friends. I had no trouble making them. Those days everyone wanted to know me. I tended not to let them get too close though. I knew all they wanted were the benefits that came with being my friend. I didn't care to share my fortune but I wasn't going to be taken advantage of for it.

"Hey guys," he greeted, glancing over us all with his ever present smile before stopping on Lynn. His eyes widened with his toothy grin, "What's up buttercup? You look lovely today. Blonde's a good color for you."

Lynn giggled and struggled to look at him as she blushed, "H-Hi, Tyler, thank you. Ma let me do it for my fifteenth birthday."

She grabbed a strand of hair and began twisting it around her finger, batting her lashes at him. I cringed as she tried flirting with my friend right in front of me. Tyler was thankfully blind to this and more excited by the word birthday, "Are you having a party?"

He looked from her to me in anticipation. I knew what he wanted. It was the same reason Lynn stayed with us for so long. I wasn't going to let her shanghai my friends for her own amusement. Before she could say what I knew she wanted I told her, "My friends don't want to go to your party, Lynn."

She pouted her lip at me and Tyler, unsurprisingly, did the same as they both asked, "Why not?"

They looked at each other in surprise and Tyler held his hand low for her to high five. She shyly clapped hers to his and all I could do was roll my eyes. First Alex now Tyler. My sister was officially boy crazy. Why did it have to be my friends? She certainly knew how to pick them. Guys who clearly had no interest in her.

Alex saw Lynn's admiration for what it was; a childish crush on your older brother's best friend. It'd been like that since she met him. Besides, he had a rule about dating your friend's siblings. Tyler was clueless when it came to girls altogether. He wouldn't know what to do with her if he even wanted anything.

He looked at me with the pouty lips of a puppy dog, ignorant of her blushing face, "Your mom throws the best parties. Why can't we come?"

I shook my head and started rummaging through my locker, "It'll just be a bunch of freshmen hanging out by the pool."

"Freshmen are cute," Desmond pointed out, getting a disgusted look from me, "What? I'm not eighteen yet and they're only a couple years younger. What's the big deal?"

"Try three or four years, dumbass. You are not hooking up with my little sister's classmates." I shut my locker and turned back to Lynn, "Who's even on this list of invites? Who could you possibly know besides Nona?"

"There's plenty of people who want to come, especially since they found out you're my brother. Please, Michael. I'll be so cool if you all show up."

Her pleading stare slowly chipped away at that no in my head. I didn't like the fact she was doing it to fit in but I couldn't deny her the chance of actually making new friends. I sighed and shut my locker, "Fine, do whatever you guys want."

I for one wasn't looking forward to it. The last thing I wanted to do on a Friday was hangout in my backyard with a bunch of fourteen, fifteen year-olds. Especially ones who were only using my sister.

She squealed and wrapped her arms around me, "Thank you, thank you, thank you, you're the best."

Her warmth melted any remaining disdain to the idea as I hugged her back, "Yeah, no problem."

"I'll see you guys later. I'm going to look for Nona."

She pulled back with a bright smile before bounding off in the opposite direction. The sound of gagging brought my attention to Desmond, snickering with Alex beside me, "Your relationship makes me sick. You should tell her 'no' more often. She's kind of spoiled."

I rolled my eyes at his comment. Like I didn't know that already.

"Shut up and tell us about this blessing."

He pulled away from his giggle fit and grinned suspiciously. I half expected him to start rubbing his hands together like a super villain when he started speaking, "There's this new girl, bad as hell, I'm talking a solid nine. Apparently her mother is some kind of big shot agent from Europe. But get this, she's a model and..."

From there the story tumbled further down the line of fantasy. Desmond loved his stories. It was always something. From the teachers smoking pot in the lounge to that babysitting service that was actually a sex ring. He had them all, each one just as extravagant as the last.

I turned to Alex, deciding his story was no longer worth my time, "Is your sister even here yet?"

Alex took his attention from Desmond to me in annoyance, "That's the second time you've asked now."

"What?!" Desmond groaned, giving an exaggerated stink face, "Did you have another fight or something?"

I sat up and frowned as he hit the nail on the head, "What makes you think that?"

"Every time she yells at you it's 'Nona this' and 'Nona that' and you mope around for a week like a fucking wuss."

I opened my mouth to argue but Tyler interrupted me without even hearing my side of the story, "Just apologize."

"Why do you all keep saying that? What makes you think I did something?"

I threw up my hands, feeling like they were picking me apart now and Tyler chuckled, "She's sweet, she'll forgive you."

"Sweet my ass. You don't know anything. I shouldn't be blamed because she got scared over a stupid joke."

"Go tell her that, just quit pouting about it." Desmond tossed his snide comments over his shoulder as he started down the hall, "I'm out, enjoy your pity party."

I huffed and spun around to do just as he suggested. I wouldn't continue taking that blame forever. I was determined to clear my name. For a week she sat and sulked. She wasn't going to ignore me anymore.

Alex's hand on my shoulder stopped me. He jerked me back against my locker and jabbed his finger into my flesh, "Don't actually do that. You're going to start another fight."

He and Tyler stared at me. If I didn't know any better I thought they'd start trying to knock the sense into me. Actually, Alex might. I refused to acknowledge either of their advice. I glared right back, waiting for them to give up. Tyler seceded first as always.

"If you really want her to forgive you, say sorry." He shrugged with a sympathetic smile, already backing away, "It doesn't matter if you're right."

With that off his chest, like it actually helped, he turned and jogged after Desmond. My nostrils flared furiously. How could it not matter? The only way she'd forgive me was if it never happened to begin with. No matter what I did she'd hold it over my head. No amount of apologizing could change her mind.

I pushed forward, determined to convince her of my innocence. Alex held firmly on my shoulder, shoving me back against cold metal with a loud clatter. He wasn't going to let this go without a lecture. He lowered his face to mine with that stern expression and looked me in the eyes. It only angered me further.

"Stop and think. You're being ridiculous right now. You did something stupid, just admit it. Especially after last time."

"No," I knocked his hand off me and backed away, "I didn't do anything wrong. I'll make her see how stupid and immature she's being. She'll come home with us today. There's no sense in her walking all that way. I didn't. Do. Anything."

He threw his arms out with a scoff and shook his head at me, "Yeah, that'll definitely work. You've clearly got it all figured out."

As he stared at me his face dropped back to boredom but the edge in his voice cut deeper, "Knock yourself out, buddy. I'll be at my locker when you're done. That's if she doesn't knock your head off first."

With his scathing words thrown in my face he left me standing there in the middle of the hall. Noisy people immediately began to swarm me, knocking me around like a useless pinball. I groaned in frustration and shoved my way through them. I didn't know exactly where I was going but I knew who to look for. I could pick her out of a hundred people easily.

I planned to tell her how stupid it was to be mad at me. I didn't even mean to do it. We all agreed that I would drive them since Alex couldn't afford a car of his own. When I saw her getting on the bus I was just trying to get her attention. I thought she forgot and didn't recognize my car. I didn't know she was completely ignoring my existence.

It didn't always used to be this way. Talking to her was easy when we were kids. I considered her my best friend. Maybe not quite like Alex but we were the three amigos. We all did everything together. When her dad died that all stopped.

She shut down and locked everyone out of her life. As the years passed she slowly clawed out of that hole but she never let me back in. I barely ever saw her and when I asked Alex he didn't have much to say either. She wouldn't talk to him. She was there but she wasn't the same.

Then she and Lynn became friends and she started coming over more. I saw her but she hated me. I tried being nice to her. Nothing I did ever made a difference. Even when she ripped my flowers, smashed my candies, threw my drawings in the open fire, I was nice to her. I did everything to make her smile again. All she gave me were hateful glares and harsh words.

I never did anything to hurt her... on purpose.

My determined steps slowed as I thought about the last time she spoke to me. We had a barbeque for the fourth of July. I invited Desmond and Tyler and it seemed like we were all having a good time. Nona was still ignoring me but she was happy. That was fine with me but by the end of the night we got our hands on the firecrackers and everything spiraled from there. I didn't mean for her to get caught in the crossfire; she stood just a little too close to Tyler for her own good.

No one was hurt but she did have to throw away her favorite denim jacket. She made sure I still felt bad for that one. Nona didn't get things for herself often. She had that old thing for years and she wore it everywhere the weather allowed. Even added her own patches from old band tees and it looked good on her. If you asked me though it was overdue for a replacement but when you have no money there is no replacing something so frivolous.

I sighed as I rounded the corner of the freshman hall. Maybe Alex was right. I could at least come up with a better plan than yelling at her. I knew that only ever ended in assassination attempts. In the heat of the moment though it seemed like the only option.

Through the thinning sea of people I spotted them halfway down the hall. Lynn's newly dyed hair caught my eyes first as she gripped it in her hands. She twisted it like a wet rag, an old nervous habit of hers. I worried for the strength of her hair as she roughly stroked the whole of it. I could just barely hear what they were saying as I paced my steps slower.

"Will you come? I know crowds aren't your thing but I think you'd have a good time and It'd really help me out knowing you're there. I just don't know what I'd do, especially after my eleventh birthday. The idea just throws me in a panic and I start grasping for my inhaler but I don't want to look like a dweeb and-and-and..."

"Karebear, chill."

Hearing that endearing term from Nona warmed my heart. Our parents were the only other people who called her that. It'd been so long since I heard her speak with such wholesome affection. I was almost jealous of my sister. At least if anything was the same those two were still friends.

"Take a breath or you'll need it now." Lynn did as she was told and took a deep breath, calming down instantly. Nona looked at her with amusement, "Better?"

Lynn just nodded her head and Nona turned back to dig through the books stacked at the bottom of her locker, "I'll go but don't expect much."

"That's fine. Having you there's all I need. Ooh, maybe we could dye your hair. You said something about going green."

I pulled a face at that. Nona would never dye her hair. She wouldn't even let her mother trim it. You probably couldn't get enough dye to color that mane. It grew out for seven years until her wild curls draped messily down her back to below her waist. I wasn't sure she even knew how to style it. To get it out of her face she either pulled it back in a low ponytail or braided it. The braid always looked like a mess to undo.

She shook her head vehemently, "That was a joke. Green's excessive. Besides, I'm fine with how I am. I don't need to fit in. I'll be there for you, no more no less."

I found myself silently agreeing as I stood behind them. You could tell she didn't brush her hair often but the thick curls shined even under the dim school lighting. Her outfit left a lot to the imagination and she never wore makeup, I wasn't sure she even knew how. She was far from the shy, girly type, and more skater grunge. She had a natural, clean look that was hard to attain consciously. She didn't need to change to fit in. She was fine the way she was.

As I came to a stop Nona turned from her crouched position to glare at me before I could even open my mouth, "What do you want?"

I frowned as she accosted me before giving me a chance, "I can't just come over and check on you?"

"What do you want?" She repeated herself, clearly not believing me, and turned away as if to fade me from existence.

I tried to maintain my patience but the thin thread wore down the longer she avoided my gaze, "Well, I was going to compliment you on your maturity but apparently I was wrong."

She didn't look at me again as she furiously rifled through her belongings, "Nothing you say is ever a compliment."

"That's not true," I snapped without thinking.

Once again she plucked my nerves without even changing her tone. She was wrong. I regularly gave out compliments. Hell, I told her brother how handsome he was everyday. I racked my brain for an example to prove it only to come up blank. For some reason the idea of flattering her, to her face, made me uncomfortable.

I wasn't picky when it came to women. Small, big, cute, sexy - I liked them all. And I never shied away from telling them. It was just Nona was... Well, Nona. I tried picturing her as anyone else. If she was any other girl in school could I call her attractive? I imagined it only to see her laughing in my face or pummeling me for my stupidity.

She rose in front of me, expecting an answer. I didn't know how to respond and felt myself growing anxious, looking anywhere but at her, as she stared impatiently at me. It was the first time in such a long time she allowed me so close. She was shorter than me but she had the air of a firecracker. Spark her the wrong way and she could go off in your face.

One hand drummed the side of her hip while the other held a few books. Her purple flannel bunched up with her white tank top, showing the ragged belt that held up her baggy cargo pants. I was sure it was Alex's shirt. I opened my mouth to tell her this only to stop.

When I met her gaze it was like I went dumb. Stray strands of hair hung over her round cheeks. They made her face look soft and petite, reminding me of a modern cherub. Beyond the sheer curtain I could just make out that yellowing jade of her eyes that glowed when they looked at me. It sparked something in my chest that sent a message to my brain, opening my mouth before I could even think.

"Pretty." Both her brows shot up in mild concern. She and Lynn both backed away from me in anticipation for the vomit to spew from my lips while my head spun around. I felt the burn on my face before the bile could tumble out and I stumbled over my words, "You look good, I mean fine. You're fine. There's nothing wrong with you... There's nothing to worry about. No one's gonna want to look at you anyway."

I clamped my mouth shut as quickly as it opened and flinched back on instinct. With eyes shut I heard Lynn gasp, shout my name, then felt her smack me. I knew it was her because Nona would have laid me out with a punch. I deserved my head lopped off for that one. Alex was right. I talked too much.

I cracked one eye open to find Nona surprisingly calm. She stared into her locker with her lips drawn tight, deep in thought. I readied myself for the blow but when she finally looked at me I saw the same bored expression her brother wore, "What do you know? You're an ape, I don't need to listen to you about my appearance."

Her words hurt worse than any physical punishment. So I acted accordingly to protect my pride and retaliated, "I know enough, unlike your inexperience with boys, Neanderthal."

She gripped her locker door and I watched one brow twitch over her eye but her expression remained wholly unchanged, "Yeah, yet you can't keep a girl. You're going to die old and alone."

"And you'll be a virgin your whole life, I win!"

The hall went silent as I basically shouted across it. Nona's face fell, turning a deep red as a few people snickered past her. Her arms shot out finally and slammed into my chest, knocking all my air from it. I struggled to stay on my feet as a guttural cry of frustration leapt from her throat, "Ugh, you suck."

Her voice cracked but before I could get another look at her she slammed her locker shut and whirled around. I watched her race away as fast as she could from me. She was gone before I could even raise my hand to reach out for her. Instead I placed it on my rib where her fist hit. The pulsing of my chest was nothing compared to the ache inside of it.

Kara stood to the side, shaking her head in disappointment, "You really do sometimes."

I nodded slowly with my eyes focused on the spot where she stood, "Yeah, yeah, I know."

Talk about an overreaction.

)+(

March 22, 2024

Another one I spent too long on. The first draft of this chapter was awful. You know it's bad when even I'm telling myself to go back and edit a single chapter anymore. It was just missing a lot of... meat. It was bland and just poorly written and I told myself I wasn't going to post it. So I had to build up the motivation to actually write instead of throwing an idea at the wall hoping it sticks. It'll definitely need some more fleshing out later but this is fine for now. I'm glad I'm taking this time before April before finishing TTB or it'd come out horrible. This is still a rough draft and more of a sneak peek to this story. I won't be working on it too much but will give you the first two chapter and prologue until I finish TTB. It's more of a side project while I work mostly on SWF. This will probably be shorter than the other stories in this series and it will also be a little more upbeat. My stories reflect my characters after all and Michael, at least at this point in his life, is one of my happiest characters in LTE. 

(6193)

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro