🎵~37

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

🎶Now your song is on repeat and I'm dancing on to your heartbeat ~ Clean Bandit feat. Zara Larsson

Tara Afua Henrie●

The drive to Originally Afro-Mex's new venue was relatively short.

We arrived in less than thirty minutes, pulling into a spacious parking lot that was already bustling with activity. Construction workers were scattered around, moving materials, and giving instructions. The place was clearly a work in progress, but even in its unfinished state, I could tell it was going to be impressive.

As soon as we stepped out of the van, Pam turned to us with an excited grin. "Welcome to the new Originally Afro-Mex!"

Her excitement reminded me of the first day she brought me to the restaurant. It was just a couple of months back, but it already felt like ages.

We looked around, taking in the sight of the sprawling lot. It was at least three times the size of the old location's parking area, which made sense given that it would soon host a full-blown concert.

"This is where the magic is going to happen," Pam said, waving her arm around to indicate the entire area. "We're planning on setting up a large stage over there," she pointed to a far corner of the lot, "with the audience filling up this entire space. We'll have food stalls along the perimeter and plenty of seating in the middle. The event planners are figuring out the exact layout, but trust me, it's going to be epic."

Eden looked around, already envisioning the concert. "This place is huge. We could probably fit a thousand people here."

"That's the goal," Pam said with a nod. "We're expecting a big turnout, especially with you guys headlining."

Jax walked over to the spot Pam had indicated for the stage. "Are you planning on having just one stage, or will there be other smaller setups around?"

"Just one main stage," Pam replied, moving closer to him. "We want all the attention focused on the performances, but we'll have some smaller interactive zones—like meet-and-greet spots and photo booths—scattered around to keep things interesting during intermissions."

"What about the acoustics?" Luca asked. "This is an open space, so sound management will be crucial."

Pam nodded. "Yeah, we've got a top-notch sound engineering team on board. They're going to install a sound system that'll ensure the music carries well without getting distorted. We're also setting up sound barriers to manage any noise bleed, so the quality should be fantastic no matter where you're standing."

I took a deep breath, imagining the lot filled with people, music pumping through the speakers, and the energy of the crowd. It definitely was going to be a night to remember. "Guess you weren't kidding when you said you were pulling out all the stops."

"You know it," my sister nodded with a laugh. "C'mon, let's go inside." She led us towards the entrance of the building. "I want to show you what we've been working on in here."

The exterior of the new restaurant was sleek and modern, a huge contrast to the cosy, traditional vibe of the old venue. The glass doors reflected the sunlight, giving off brand-new vibes. The restaurant name on top of the building was concealed beneath a large, white tarp, securely fastened at the edges to keep it in place. Despite the cover, the bold outline of the letters was faintly visible through the material.

As we stepped inside, the sounds of construction grew louder.

Pam wasn't kidding when she said the new place was spacious. The interior was huge, with high ceilings and a layout that felt airy and open. There were several workstations set up where carpenters and painters were busy finishing up the counter details. The walls were being painted a deep, rich green, accented with warm wood tones that gave the restaurant an earthy, inviting feel.

"This is the main dining area," Pam said. "We're keeping some of the old restaurant's touches, like the mural wall and the beaded curtains, but we're also adding new elements to give it a more contemporary look. The kitchen is state-of-the-art, and we're expanding our menu to include more fusion dishes that blend Afro-Mexican flavours in exciting and intriguing ways. Maria and I have been at it for weeks, and we can't wait to share what we've come up with."

"Wow." Eden ran her fingers over a nearby table that had just been assembled. "This place is incredible, Pam. You've really outdone yourself."

Pam smiled, clearly proud of what she and her team had accomplished. "Thank you. It hasn't been easy though, getting here. I'm just glad all the hard work finally paid off. Oh! There's one more place I have to show you; come on."  We followed her towards a set of double doors at the far end of the dining area, and into a smaller, more intimate room that was in the process of being transformed into a lounge area. The walls were a darker shade, creating a cosy, relaxed atmosphere. There were plush chairs and low tables scattered around, and a long bar that was in the final stages of construction. Close to it were some French doors that led to another section of the room.

"This is going to be a VIP lounge for celebrities," Pam explained."You know, where they can chill out, enjoy some live music, or just have a drink without any interruptions. We're setting up a small stage here too, for acoustic sets and open mic nights. Once you guys are done with your set at the concert, you can chillax here and have a little fun." She clasped her hands. "And that concludes our tour. What do you guys think?"

"It's perfect," I said, approaching my sister and pulling her into a hug. "I'm so happy for you, Pam. You deserve this and so much more."

"Thanks, T." She smiled, hugging me back tightly. "It means a lot to have you guys here. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you all."

"Don't get too sentimental now," I teased as I pulled away. "We've still got a concert to rock!"

She laughed and then gestured toward the lounge bar. "Speaking of rocking, how about we christen this place with some cocktails? We've been working on a few new concoctions, and I'd love to get your opinions before we officially launch them."

"Now you're speaking my language," Jax said, rubbing his hands together with excitement.

The rest of the group agreed, and we followed Pam to the bar area. It was still under construction, but the mixologist had already set up a small station with an array of colourful bottles and fresh ingredients.

"Alright," Pam said, slipping behind the counter with a grin. "We've got three signature cocktails we're launching. First up, the 'Afro-Mex Fusion.' It's a mix of mezcal, hibiscus syrup, lime, and a dash of ginger beer. It's got that perfect balance of smoky and sweet, with just the right amount of kick."

I watched as the bartender expertly prepared the drink, pouring it into a glass and garnishing it with a slice of lime and a sprig of mint. Pam handed the first one to me before serving the others.

I took a sip, and my taste buds immediately came alive. "Whoa, this is amazing!"

"Mm, I know right," Jax added, then took another sip. "The mezcal has that deep, smoky flavour, but the hibiscus adds a floral sweetness that mellows it out."

As the rest of us savoured the beverage, Eden chugged it down like tequila and slammed her glass on the counter.

"Woah, slow down, hot stuff," Carlos chuckled. "We're not taking shots."

"We might as well be." She licked her lips with fervour. "On to the next!"

Pam's smile broadened. "Oh, wait till you try this one. It's called the 'Spicy Mango Sunset.' Tequila, mango puree, chilli, and a splash of orange juice. It's got a real fiery kick, but it's super refreshing."

As the mixologist worked on the next drink, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

Shaun: Thinking about you right now. Wish you were here.

A smile tugged at my lips. I quickly typed a response.

Me: Where are you?

I took another sip of my drink. A few seconds later, my phone buzzed again.

Shaun: On a flight to Indonesia with Declan. We've got some business to handle there, but I'll be back in a couple of days.

I raised an eyebrow in surprise. Indonesia? That was unexpected.

Me: Business trip? What kind of business in Indonesia?

I slipped through the French doors leading to a small porch area for some privacy as I waited for his response. The fresh air was a welcomed change from the buzz of construction and chatter inside.

My phone buzzed again.

Shaun: It's a project Declan's been working on with some Asian investors. He's bringing me in for a few meetings to help secure their funds. Though from my point of view, he doesn't need me.

I leaned against the porch railing.

Me: He just wants to stress you out, huh?

Shaun: You don't know the half of it. Let's catch up properly when I'm back? I've got some ideas for our next date.

Before I could respond, I heard footsteps behind me. Turning around, I saw Jax approaching with a casual smile on his face.

"Hey," he said, leaning against the railing next to me. "Hope I'm not interrupting."

"Oh no, not at all." Texting Shaun one last reply, I slipped my phone back into my pocket. "What's up?"

"Nothing much." He finished his drink. "Just surprised and amazed by what your sister has been able to do in just five years of business."

"Yeah. That's Pam for you." I crossed my arms and turned to the French doors. Pam and the others were still inside, enjoying the cocktail fest. "She's a go-getter. When she sets her mind on something, there's absolutely nothing that can stop her."

"Yeah."

My head shifted to catch Jax's gaze of admiration on me, and he quickly turned, scratching the back of his neck. "So... how'd your Valentine's Day go?"

I could feel the heat creeping up my neck as the memory of my date with Shaun popped up in my head, but I wasn't ready to spill the details just yet. "Oh, you know, it was nice. Quiet. Nothing too crazy."

Jax raised an eyebrow, clearly not buying my vague response. But I quickly changed the subject. "How about you? What did you get up to?"

He hesitated for a moment before shrugging. "Not much, honestly. Didn't have any plans."

"Really?" I asked, tilting my head. "You expect me to believe that the bad-boy heartthrob of The Stars of the Future didn't have anyone special to spend Val's Day with?"

He let out a deep chuckle at the description, then his eyes dropped to the ground. "It's not that; it's just... the person I wanted to spend Valentine's Day with was engaged, so... it's a bit complicated right now."

I felt a pang of sympathy for him. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Jax."

He chuckled softly. "It's fine. I'm not even sure she likes me that way, to be honest."

Just as he said it, his eyes flickered over to the lounge’s French doors. Eden was inside, standing by the bar with a cocktail in hand, watching us through the glass. As soon as their eyes met, she quickly looked away, trying to hide the blush creeping up her cheeks.

I had absolutely no idea why, but being a witness to what had just transpired, had me grinning like an idiot. Through all my time working with her, I don't think I've ever seen Eden blush like that. There's also the possibility that the colour in her cheeks could be from the alcohol she was consuming, but no... I think it had a lot more to do with Jax. There was definitely something going on between them and it had piqued my interest tenfold.

"Hmm, you never know, Jax." My grin expanded. "Sometimes, the person you like just needs time to figure things out."

His eyebrows shot up as he looked at me. "Really?" 

"Yeah, totally. Don't give up. She might come around sooner than you think."

Jax stared at me in wonder; his eyes roamed every corner of my face as if he couldn't believe what I'd just said. Then a small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. "I hope so too, Tara."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro