[ 18 ] ONE MORE TIME

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

[ 18 ]

"ALL RIGHT, LET'S go." Jim outstretched a strong hand and hoisted Jodie up from the ground, pistol in the other as he commanded the group of kids to follow him out to his car. They all stared at him with blank expressions.

Jodie dusted the dirt and rust from her jeans and picked up the tire iron. She didn't know if it may come in handy once more.

Jim snorted in disbelief. He could feel his temper flare, struck by the fact they weren't taking the matter more seriously. "Let's go!"

"You heard the man," Jodie encouraged sharply. "Get a move on." The kids raced past her and out of the rust bucket of a bus. Jodie counted heads, ensuring each was accounted for before following behind.

The air had a cold humidity. The scent of earth and blood hit her slowly, but forcibly. She kept her eyes on Hopper. Hopper and his wide stride, Hopper and his big broad shoulders, Hopper and his cavalier way of making her fall for him then tossing it back in her face. Jodie shook her head and forced herself to focus.

Hopper's police cruiser was parked nearby. A thick layer of mud coated the sides of the cruiser, splashed over the words HAWKINS POLICE DEPARTMENT. Only HAWK— was left legible. Jodie focused on the spelling, ignoring the three men sprawled on the ground.

Dead or alive, she didn't want to know.

Sparing a meek glance at Jim, who was shepherding each kid into the backseat of his cruiser, Jodie felt something stir inside her chest. It wasn't regret or disappointment. But, it ached. And, damn, did she wish it didn't. Jodie's hiking boots sloshed in the mud as she reached the Cruiser.

"Hop in," Jim said, offering her a hand to hoist her into the lifted seat. Jodie's hand faltered as she reached out to take the offer. Just as she went to pull away, Hopper snatched up her hand and hoisted her with brutish strength into the seat, his bare hand brushing the exposed skin on the small of her back.

"We need to move," he hissed, "now!"

Before Jodie could protest, she saw the helicopter in the distance circling back.

The sun was starting to set low on the horizon, radiating apricot orange and lavender off the thick halo of clouds moving in. The wind whipped at Jodie's face through the rolled-down window, catching her hair.

It would have been a beautiful sight, if not for the circumstances. Jodie's heart pounded wildly in her chest as her gaze finally sought out the three men, still sprawled out unconscious in the mud.

"Seatbelts," Hopper reminded everyone as he threw the cruiser into gear and punched the gas.

The speed at which Hopper was racing down the twists and turns of the Hawkins backroads made Jodie's stomach contort and curl in knots.

The sun had long disappeared behind the clouds and left pitch darkness in its place. The night was dark and cold, without a trace of light from the moon or stars.

Jodie couldn't tell if the Feds were still searching, but judging by how Hopper was clenching his fists on the wheel, and how he was driving, she was sure they hadn't given up.

There had been a number of times Jodie wanted to break the stern silence. But, words failed her. Hopper seemed far away, his mind caught up in a turmoil of his own. Even though she couldn't be certain, Jodie felt it had nothing to do with their argument.

And so, Jodie wrapped herself up in her long flannel sleeves and laid against the passenger door, lips tight and unwavering.

Soon enough, they pulled up to the front of the Byers's home. The porch lamp flicked on as the engine died, flooding the front of the house in fluorescent golden light. They'd been anxiously waiting.

Joyce rushed out to greet them, with Jonathan and Nancy not trailing far behind. Her deep, dark eyes were wide and wild, filled with fear and relief.

"Oh, thank god!" Joyce exclaimed, pulling Jodie in by her shoulders and hugging her. "We were getting worried!" She then hugged each boy tightly, before ushering everyone inside.

Once the door to the Byers' home was shut tight, Nancy (who had been a little quiet upon first meeting Jodie) was a ball of emotion. "Mike, where have you been?" She was accusatory but her tone was caring. "I was so worried about you!"

She hugged her brother while he stuttered out a similar response. It didn't sound as enthusiastic but was nice to hear. Then, as if seeing her for the first time, Nancy turned to Jane with an arched brow. "Is, is that my dress?"

Before the girl could respond, Hopper stepped forward and took off his hat, smoothing down his hair with a deft hand.

"I think it's time we all got on the same page," Jim said, changing the subject.

The group all gathered in the Byers's modest living room. The space was dwarfed in size as they tried to fit in nine people.

Joyce sat with the teenagers on the couch while the boys took the armchair and the floor in front of the living room table. Hopper took an armchair and folded his hands over his lap.

Jodie, on the other hand, stood further away from the pack, leaning on the back of the armchair that Lucas had claimed.

It wasn't just for comfort, it was acting as a physical barrier too. She didn't want to get too close to Jane after what had happened on the bus. Her emotions were high. A worrisome thought crept in, she didn't trust herself not to do it again. She bit back the wave of anxious hostility.

Across the room, Jodie caught Jim's watchful eyes staring at her. But, as she noticed, he looked away and returned his attention to the babbling kids.

The boys began to explain their theory of different dimensions. The acrobat and the flea. Mike drew a quick illustration on a sheet of college-ruled paper, pointing at the aspects with his red Expo marker.

"Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat," his pen trailed over a red stick figure walking on a tightrope. Just beneath the rope, there was a flea drawn on the other side. Jodie realized she was getting ahead of herself and fought to follow along with Mike's words.

"Will and Barbara... and that monster, they're this flea." Mike looked at the faces of the crowd, making sure they were following along. "And, this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding. Mr Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip in time and space."

Jodie'd heard most of the explanation before, but she was still having trouble with it all. Dustin interjected, sensing the confusion coming from the room. "A gate —"

"—that we tracked to Hawkins Lab," Lucas added.

"—with our compasses," Dustin interjected again. It wasn't a malicious back and forth. Rather, it was just a lot of information and they wanted to be extremely clear about it all.

Joyce's brow furrowed and she looked around the room, searching for someone as confused as she was. Jodie met her gaze with a haphazard shrug, they were in the same boat.

"Okay, so," Dustin quickly explained further, "the gate has a really strong magnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass needle."

"Is this gate underground?" Jim spoke, earning Jane's attention.

"Yes," she said softly.

"Near a large water tank?"

Jane's eyes darted as she bobbed her head. "Yes."

"H-How'd you know all that?" Dustin asked the question that was on everyone's mind. Jodie knew the answer, though she'd never asked Hopper about it. It had been that night, after their beers and low conversations. It had been his investigation.

Hopper didn't answer directly, though the boys were smart enough to figure it out. Jim watched Jane in quiet contemplation. He took in her short, shaved head, her wide, scared eyes, and the lack of sound she made. She was hurt and the thought made him sick.

Joyce leant towards Jane, voice soft and reassuring. "I-Is there any way that you could... that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this—"

"—The Upside Down." Jane's voice was soft and sure. Jodie's head snapped towards her in surprise. It was the first time she'd uttered more than one-word sentences.

Joyce nodded. "Then, yes?" Nancy added her friend Barbara too, hopeful that both could be reached.

Jane nodded once more, lips turning down slightly.

So, they made an attempt to talk with the other side. Nancy produced a black-and-white picture of Babara, so Jane knew who she was trying to find. Mike set the walkie-talkie on the table and backed away slowly, giving Jane space.

Static waves ebbed and flowed through the room. The white noise came and went like the tide. Jodie found herself leaning closer, curious as hell to find out if she could really do it.

The lights in the house flickered off and on, then shut down completely, just for a minute.

Jodie gripped the back of the armchair and held her breath. But, the static only cut off. The lights came on.

Jane's bottom lip wobbled as she spoke, voice timid. "I'm sorry."

Jonathan gripped Joyce's shoulder, giving her a reassuring squeeze as she stuttered out an unsure: "W-What? What's wrong? What, what happened?"

The boys parted as Jane rushed for the bathroom, tears in her eyes. Jodie's breath caught in her throat. It was clear the girl was trying her hardest.

Dustin came to Jane's defense, assuring everyone that she could do it. 'She's worn down, like a battery. The more energy she uses, the more tired she gets.' The boys followed up with all the things she'd done with her 'powers' earlier in the day.

"So," Jodie spoke for the first time in a long time. "How do we recharge her, like a battery? Does she need food? A nap? What?"

"We don't," Mike replied, "we just wait and try again."

"How long?" Nancy asked.

Jane returned from the restroom, her eyes rimmed red but there wasn't a trace of sorrow on her face. Jodie straightened and watched her. Though she could feel a nagging sense of worry, the little girl seemed fine.

"The bath," Jane said.

"What?" Joyce questioned.

"I can find them," Jane explained with a sure tilt to her chin, "in the bath."

TO BE HONEST, Jodie thought it was a little weird Dustin Henderson had the direct landline number to his teacher's, Mr Clarke's, home. But, she decided it was best to let that one slide.

They were already moving on to bigger and better things.

The key, it seemed, to Jane's powers was a sensory deprivation tank. After all, if it worked to amplify her in the Lab, it could work for them. But, it wasn't just as simple as filling the Byers's bathtub with tepid water and letting Jane float around all night.

It required the precise temperature, the precise amount of darkness, and the precise amount of space, too.

They needed a bigger pool and salt, lots of salt, more salt than Jodie could pick up at the local grocer at this time of night that was for sure.

Luckily, it was still mid-November. Still just before the bulk of the snow season. And, Jim knew precisely where they would probably find enough salt for what they needed.

So, there they all were, standing outside the Hawkins Middle School. Jodie rolled out her shoulders and hopped from foot to foot, shaking herself out.

"O-kay, been a while since I've committed breaking and entering," she eyed the Chief of Police and he squinted tightly at her words, "but, I'm ready." She twisted her back, letting out a satisfying pop-pop-pop. "Yeah, yeah I'm ready."    

"Mike, Dustin," Jim pointed to the pair "set up the kiddie pool. Nancy, you're with Lucas. The Gym has a tap. The shed outside should have a hose for cleaning, get those ready for the pool. Jonathan, you're with me. Joyce, get the girl whatever she needs."

Jodie arched a brow and turned to face him. "Forgetting something?"

"I figured you'd do what you're best at," he replied lazily. Everyone broke off to their appointed assignments while Jonathan and Jodie followed the man towards the locked garage near the outfield of the Middle School.

"Being amazing?"

"Sure," he nearly sang sarcastically. Jonathan's eyes trailed from the fuming blonde woman to Hopper but he didn't say much.

Jim didn't voice what he had thought; Jodie didn't ask. Hopper smiled to himself as he kicked in the garage door, revealing the bags of de-icing salt.

What he'd meant was: Jodie was best at being by his side. After all, she'd practically been glued there all week. Not that he'd admit that.

He watched Jodie as she pushed a wheelbarrow out from under a mass of landscaping tools. Annoyed, she tossed the supplies to the ground with a bubbling anger. Jonathan flinched back as a pair of clippers soared across the garage.

"Woah," he yelped, "watch it."

Jodie shoved the barrow towards the men and huffed out an apology, not meeting either's eyes. She was tired, angry and sad.

Hopper grabbed a few bags and thrust them into Jonathan's arms. "Take these to start. We will follow up with the rest, just in case."

Jonathan hesitated. Jodie could see the concern etched on his face as the boy worried his bottom lip. "You don't think there will be a freeze this weekend, do you?"

"Does it really matter?" Jodie scoffed. Jim's back stiffened at her sharp, unyielding tone. "You're getting your brother back. That's more important." Jim pushed Jonathan forward and told him they'd be right behind.

The quiet was almost unsettling for Hopper as he reached for another bag of salt and tossed it into the wheelbarrow. He didn't take his eyes off Jodie. Her eyes were red-rimmed, her hands shook slightly as she hoisted another bag off the ground. Outside, the wind howled and knocked against the broken shed door.

Before he could even ask her if something was wrong, Jodie snapped and cursed, crossing her arms over her chest. Jodie, even standing tall, was short in comparison to Jim. But, despite her stature, her anger seemed to make her ten feet tall; it radiated off her in waves.

"What the hell is wrong with her?"

Hopper arched a brow but followed where Jodie was going with her accusation, picturing the little girl. She couldn't have been talking about Joyce or Nancy.

"She doesn't speak much," he said curtly, tight-lipped and solemn.

"Yeah, that's just great." She threw a salt bag onto the barrow, causing the thing to wheel backwards and jab her in the knee. Jodie cursed and doubled over, rubbing at the sore spot with tears prickling her eyes.

Quickly, Jim rushed towards Jodie and steadied the wheelbarrow. "Hey, woah," he said with apprehension, "what's going on?" Jim set a salt bag into the barrow and grabbed Jodie by her shoulders, his hard-set eyes searching hers.

Jodie could see the worry, the spark of fear that lingered in the man's blue gaze. For a moment, she thought she'd seen something else, too — just under the surface.

For a moment, she was enraptured by the warmth of his hands against her chilled skin. The mixed scent of his breath and aftershave embraced her, beckoning her closer. Jodie leaned into his touch, unconscious to the way her body itched for more as the rough callouses of his hands scratched against the fabric over her shoulders.

"Jode, what's goin' on?" he asked again, leaning closer and lowering his gruff voice to a soft question. He was smart enough to know this anger was out of character for her, even on her worst day.

Jodie swallowed the mountain of tumultuous emotion scaling her throat. The corners of her pale mouth quivered, like a sheet in the wind tossing left and right. Jodie could feel it, everything. The weight of it all. It was here, and it was mute.

"S-she's practically mute." Jodie managed to spit it out, a wavering hand pointing an accusatory finger at the door, representing the kids inside the gymnasium. "She's mute, and-and-and," Jodie bit a tag of peeling skin on her lower lip, tasting iron, "Jamey."

Without a moment's pause, as if struck by some sense of clairvoyance, Hopper pulled Jodie close. At that moment, she crumpled, deteriorating like a fallen leaf underfoot.

Jim stiffened as she nestled her head into the burly plains of his chest, her nails digging softly into the cotton fabric of his sleeves. The scent of strawberry plummed from her scalp, and the sound of stifled sobs shook her small frame.

Unsure and unsteady, Jim wrapped Jodie Whittier into a close-knit embrace. It was delicate and uncertain like she was a fragile thing that would break under his touch. But, in that moment, Hopper felt as if he was holding her together.

"She knows Jamey," Jodie said, her voice as soft as a breath. Jim stiffened, processing what she was saying. "My Jamey, Jim. And she can't tell me about it. She won't tell me."

"Hey, hey." Jim squeezed her shoulders and then pulled away to look her in the eye. He paused, trying to think of what to say. Considering her words, Jim said the only thing that would even remotely help him. "She's a little girl, she's traumatized, she's in hiding, and she's helping us talk to another dimension."

Jodie sniffled and rubbed at her eyes, breaking their hug and stepping away. The cold air that drove between them seemed to calm her down and she could breathe once more. "I know, I know — but," Jodie flushed scarlet and faltered on her words, "I'm trying here, Hop. I'm trying to be useful, to be effective, but it's like you're pushing me away."

Jim grabbed the last bag of salt, not looking her in the eye.

"I need to be useful, cuz when I'm not useful, I'm losing my mind."

Jodie started pushing the wheelbarrow, finding it heavier than she'd imagined. Hopper grabbed one handle and motioned for her to grab the other side. "I just, I thought I would get some answers."

"There's still time." Jim caught Jodie's hand and frowned. "I'm going to cross into this gate, I'm going to get Will. We're going to get your answers."

He didn't want to push her away. Inhaling slowly, Jim dropped her hand and grabbed his handle once more. "I'm not pushing you away. I need you here, safe. I need you as far away from this thing as possible."

Jodie wanted to speak, to say something at that declaration. But, nothing came to mind. She tried to push down the feeling the words gave her. He could have said the same words to Mike, or Joyce or anyone really. Jodie hated how her mind raced as he spoke, jumping to conclusions that would only hurt her.

They got the wheelbarrow to the front entrance to the gymnasium and Hopper paused, causing the process to come to a halt. Jim rubbed his hands together in the cold night, mouth forming a tight line as he glanced at her through his eyelashes. "Look, er, Jode -- about earlier, I —"

"— I get it," she cut him off, guarding her heart as it attempted to flutter. Jodie took this opportunity to flex the muscles of her hands.

The load was pretty heavy and she wasn't as strong as she pretended to be. "You don't need to explain."

Hopper stepped towards her and stared down into her deep, brown eyes with a frown. "You know, I hate when you cut me off."

"Do you now?" Jodie teased, willing herself to act normally with him.

"Yeah," he replied. "You know," there was a hesitant pause in his words, "I didn't mean what I said to Callahan. He's just nosey is all, prying into my business. And, lately, prying about you too."

"Well, of course he is," Jodie sneered, nose upturned as she grabbed her handle of the wheelbarrow. "He's my ex after all."

Jim stared at her, eyes blinking as he processed what she'd just told him. They moved the barrow into the gym with ease. "Your ex?"

"Ex-pain-in-my-ass, ex-torn-in-my-side, ex-tracted from my life." Jodie dropped her handle roughly as Dustin and Jonathan rushed over in excitement. They had the water ready, now all they needed was the salt to create the perfect equilibrium. "Take your pick."

"Why'd you never, —"

"Tell you?" Jodie laughed. "I thought it was obvious. We're always bickering."

Jim's hand slipped slightly on one of the bags of salt and he cursed, drooping down to pick it up as the unwanted image of Jodie and Callahan filled his mind. He couldn't explain why, but the thought made his stomach tie in knots. Whether from nausea or jealousy, he wasn't sure. Regardless, he knew he didn't like it.

Questions filtered into mind: how long? why? when? why?

Jodie smirked at something she'd seen on his face. Hopper cleared his throat and called Jonathan over. "Byers, help me with these bags." He delegated the tasks out as he would any squad under him. "Jodie, help Joyce get Jane ready while we deal with things on this end."

The gymnasium was filled with the soft, languid sound of water leaping at the sides of the kiddie pool as Jane floated.

Joyce reached out a tender hand and softly took Jane's hand. "I'm right here with you. If for even a moment you get scared or it becomes too much, we will pull you out."

Jodie wasn't sure if Jane could hear her, but she leaned forward towards the edge of the pool. "You can do this," she said. "We're here with you."

Joyce and Jodie shared a small smile, one filled with worry and regret. This girl was crossing into somewhere dark, into the unknown, all for them. Jodie prayed everything would work out alright.

The radio clicked to life, echoing static throughout the room. It reverberated off the walls, ominous and empty.

Across the pool, Jim sat far away from Jodie. His face was pale and the calculated expression she'd grown used to was replaced with a vacant, empty expression as he stared at the water of the pool.

"Barbara," Jane whispered.

Nancy leaned forward and listened intently as Jane spoke. Jodie strained to hear the soft voice, jolting back as the soft whispers morphed into terrified screams.

Nancy gripped Jonathan's arm tightly. "What's going on?!" The lights of the gymnasium flickered off and on rapidly.

"No! No! Gone!" Jane thrashed in the water. "Gone! Gone!"

Jodie's stomach dropped and she covered her mouth with a shaking hand. Joyce reached out and softly stroked Jane's shoulders as her body rocked. "It's okay," Joyce assured her in hushed tones. "It's okay, it's okay. We're right here, honey. I've got you."

Jane stopped jolting and breathed out slowly, steadying her fear. Beside Jodie, Nancy sobbed and reached for Jonathan. "Oh no," she whispered, voice breaking. "Barb."

Jodie cautiously inched closer to the rim of the kiddie pool and inhaled slowly. Unsure, she looked to Joyce who encouraged her with a nod. "Look, kid," Jodie spoke softly and slowly, "take your time. We're here, you're safe."

A moment passed, while the group waited with baited breath. Then, Jane spoke: "Castle Byers." The static grew louder as Jane asked to no one in the room, "Will?"

Jonathan and Joyce jumped at the name. Jodie could feel her heart flutter with hope, picturing the doe-eyed little boy who was more encouraged by a book than a speech. She bit her bottom lip and watched with anxious hope.

"You tell him," Joyce swallowed a lump in her throat, "tell him we're coming."

The radio clicked to life: Hurry.

Joyce gripped Jodie's hand, wet and ragged. Jodie squeezed tightly, reassuring Joyce that she'd heard him too. They all had. "Okay. Listen, tell him to -to stay where he is. We're coming, we're coming, okay?"

Then, just like the snap of a ripcord, the radio went dead. Jane wretched up from the water, breathing heavily and eyes wild as she ripped off the goggles over her eyes.

Something she'd seen had scared her. Joyce hugged the little girl tight, the water soaking through her blouse and down her arms, but she held her as if she would never let go.

Jodie's eyes prickled at the sight. It was bittersweet. "Are you okay, Eleven?" Jodie asked, voice hardly above a whisper. Jane's bottom lip trembled and she sobbed, burrowing deeper into Joyce's embrace.

"It's okay, sweetie. You did so good. It's okay, we're here."

Jodie grabbed the pool towel beside her and helped Joyce lift Jane tenderly from the pool. "Here you go," she said, wrapping the towel around Jane tightly, like a security blanket. "Take a breath, it'll all be alright."

Hopper asked Jonathan where Castle Byers was located, grabbing his hat and putting it on. Joyce and Jodie fell in line behind them, grabbing their coats. Though she was soaked, Joyce hardly seemed phased. Jodie couldn't blame her. They were finally one step closer to finding Will, it was exhilarating.

"He used to go there to hide," Jonathan commented.

With a brisk nod, Jim stalked outside the gymnasium while Joyce, Jodie and Jonathan flocked behind him like a gaggle of lost geese.

There was no way he'd be shaking them off, Jodie thought, not now. Jonathan waited by the doors, torn between following his mom and staying with Nancy.

Hopper heard the group following him as he reached his cruiser and turned on his heel, towering over the two women. Jodie stumbled back a little, not expecting the sharp turn and nearly running face-to-chest with him. "Joyce, Jodie, get back inside. Now!" Jim's blue eyes froze over with an icy coldness that didn't settle right with Jodie.

"No way!" Jodie scoffed.

"Are you insane?" Joyce said simultaneously. "Jodie and I are coming with you."

"Hell no, you're not. If something happens to me, you both need to be here, protecting the kids." Hopper pointed towards Jonathan. He took a little offence at being called a child but was smart enough to know when not to protest the Chief.

"Absolutely not! He's my son, Hop, my son!" Joyce put her foot down, figuratively and literally with an authoritative STOMP.

Jodie nodded along, feeling prideful over her friend. Joyce turned her back to him and stormed over to Jonathan, giving him directions on what to do.

Ignoring his protests, Jodie stormed to the cruiser and yanked open the door before being stopped by a warm, deft hand. Jim forced the door shut and turned to her, jaw clenched. His frozen eyes had melted into blue pools of worry catching her off guard.

Jim reached out and grabbed her arm, firm but not ungentle. "Jodie," his tone was deadly still, unwavering in pitch, but soft. "Go back inside."

"You know you need your angels, Charlie."

Jim didn't laugh. In fact, his stoic nature was rather disturbing in light of the joke Jodie had made.

"I told you that I needed you to stay," he said, bringing up the conversation in the shed.

Jodie inhaled slowly, playing with her hands as she denied him. "I didn't say I would."

Jim's tone hardened and he turned his back on her. "Fine, get in the cruiser. Now."

Jodie hopped into action as Jonathan and Joyce began to argue; though they were too far and out of earshot, Jodie was sure he was begging his mom to stay.

Nestled into the familiar leather passenger seat with a woodsy scent, Jodie buckled herself in, noting the quiet.

She only dared to look at Jim out of the corner of her eye. His jaw was clenched and his knuckles were burning white as his fists gripped the steering wheel tightly.

The silence only lasted a moment, but it felt like an eternity.

"You shouldn't,... you should stay," he bit out, breaking the silence by trying to convince her once more. "Stay here, safe."

"And do what, twiddle my thumbs? Act like a damsel?" Jodie scoffed. She watched him stiffen, knowing that she was telling the truth. She'd go crazy if she stayed behind to wait. She needed to help. "That's not me, and you know it."

"Just, stop, alright?" Jim sternly said. He released the steering wheel and sighed, trying a new tactic. If he couldn't assure her safety at the school, he could try to get her to listen. "If I say jump, you jump. If I say run, you say —"

"—How far?" Jodie rolled her eyes. "What's your deal?"

"My, my deal?" Jim ripped his seatbelt off and slid closer to her, practically nose to nose. He couldn't believe the question, as if he hadn't told her over and over.

"My deal is," his breath was hot on her face, sending waves of desire and concern down her spine. "This is my job. I'm the Chief, I'm the one who should be going in, not Joyce. Not you."

Jodie felt her chin jut forward, tensing defiantly. His voice had wavered and though he had taken such a strong stance, Jodie could see a fear clouding his judgement that she hadn't seen before as she searched his eyes. "What are you scared of?"

"You!" Jim hollered, his voice echoing through the cab. His arms flailed in the air as if it was a weight off his shoulders to say. "You, you need to — you could die, Jodie, you —"

'You you you,', his voice carried through her ears. She didn't want to be told what to do. He knew better than that, surely.

"—You could too!" she argued. "You have such little concern for yourself, is it such a bad thing that Joyce and I want to back you up? For once? Like partners? " She threw his words back at him.

"That's beside the point. That's not," he blinked rapidly. Jodie wasn't sure he was thinking clearly any more, she knew she wasn't. "I don't care. I care about you."

Jodie's mouth had opened to battle back whatever bullshit Jim had combated her with, but it caught and she choked on what the words had been, finding nothing in its place. I care about you. He'd said it, and it meant more to her in that moment of passion than it should've.

"You care about me," she breathed. "Don't tell me that —," he voice was hoarse and broke a little. "Don't, tell me—"

It happened without a thought, rough and sudden. One moment, she was bright red with anger and passionate righteousness, and the next, Jim had placed a rough hand over her cheek and pulled her in, forcing the small space between their mouths closed.

His coarse hand tangled at the nape of her neck, tugging at the downy, bottle-blond strands and holding her tightly. Jodie pressed against him, pulse racing. She wanted it, him, the kiss. All she knew was that this could very well be the only kiss they'd ever get and she wanted to make it last.

While part of her mind fought for control, screaming in surprise, the stronger, more eager side of her battled those thoughts back. It wasn't a gentle, soft moment, but fierce and wild fueled by an aching desire that neither of them could fight any longer.

The coarse hair of his beard scratched against her skin as Jim's lips moved ravenously against hers. Jodie sighed against him and ran her fingers against the hair on the back of his neck, tickling him with her fingernails. Jim's breath was hot against her cheeks as he trailed his fingers across the dips in her collarbone, stopping his hands from going any further. His hands left trails of fire.

But, just as she'd thought the moment would last forever, Jim pushed himself away.

He tried to hide it, but Jodie could see the ashamed look on his face as he wiped his mouth with a clearing of his throat.

Jodie's pulse echoed in her ears, stunned and confused. Lost and longing. It took a moment, but she found her voice, closing her mouth as it hung open. Her cheeks cooled from the blush he'd wrought on them. "Hop--"

"JOYCE," Jim stuffed his head out the window of the cruiser and hollard at her to move. "LET'S GO, NOW!"

⌱ ⌱ ⌱

Things are picking up speed now!
Race to the finish line, y'all

Enjoy

HEY YOU! If you liked this chapter, please leave me a comment lol or vote — this chapter took me a while haha

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro