{22}

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Doyoung had both hands on Chanmi's upper arms, directing her away from running into trees without the aid of her glasses. He still cursed to himself about stepping on them, and the fact that a demented cult member was hot on their heels. He glanced toward the fire, seeing Kun struggling against one while Taeil and Yuta approached to help out. Flashes of black blinked across the orange flames from the spirits quickly inflicting harm on their friends.

"Doyoung, I'm freaking out," Chanmi breathed, trying to steady herself while running.

"Well, duh," Doyoung replied. When Chanmi didn't reply, he realized he had been a little too harsh to someone feeling quite fragile and helpless at the moment. "Sorry, Chanmi, I'm just really panicky right now."

"I understand," she replied.

Doyoung pulled on her arm a bit to hide behind a mass of thick brush. He checked behind his shoulder to make sure a spirit wasn't watching. They appeared to be in the clear.

Doyoung faced Chanmi, who was breathing heavily. Her eyes scanned his face intently. "Wow," she sighed.

"What?"

"You're really fucking blurry."

Doyoung sharply exhaled. "Chanmi, I swear, when we get out of here—"

"If we get out of here," she interrupted.

Doyoung paused. "When we get out, I'm buying you a new pair of glasses."

"Don't even worry about it." Her hand found on his arm and gently squeezed. "Plus, I don't think now is the right time to discuss compensation."

"Right, right," Doyoung agreed. "I just—"

A scream cut through the air extremely close to where the two were hiding.

Haechan was yet again face to face with one of the ghosts. "Can I get just one break?" He took off in the other direction, cursing.

"Haechan! Help!" Sicheng shouted while attempting to squirm away from one of the spirits as its long, rotting fingernails grew closer to his neck.

"Oh, come on!" Haechan glanced from the spirit behind him to the one that captured Sicheng. Quickly making up his mind, Haechan sprinted toward Sicheng. Using all his force, Haechan slammed against the spirit to knock it off of the innocent guy.

When Haechan gained his balance again, the cult member was gone. Sicheng gasped and leaned forward, resting his hands on his knees. "Thank you, Haechan."

Haechan looked at him, meeting with Sicheng's thankful gaze. Suddenly feeling more apt to help, he took Sicheng with him find safety.

Not far away, Lucas began pulling Jihwan further from the light the fire gave off.

"So... you found the source of the cult?" Jihwan asked to make sure she actually heard him correctly.

Lucas simply nodded in response as he tried to recall his steps. Parts of the weeds had been trampled down by Lucas earlier that aided his search for the skeleton remains.

"I can't believe how you're acting right now," Jihwan told the tall guy. "I'm a little shocked."

"Why's that?" Lucas questioned.

"Well, for starters, you seem to have your emotions under control."

Lucas let out a huff of laughter. "Trust me, honey, I'm freaking out on the inside."

"You're doing a good job hiding it." Jihwan watched the ground quickly pass under her feet, being cautious to not trip on any roots or even her own feet. "You're acting rationally and not impulsively, unlike Kun tackling that son of a bitch. I swear he's gonna get himself killed." She shook her head.

"I may be a brainless fool, but I want us all to get out of here safely. I'll do anything to make that happen."

Jihwan's words caught in her throat, becoming speechless from what he said. Unable to find the right thing to say, she fell silent while continuing to stay close to the tall guy. Lucas still had a firm grip on her arm in order to not lose Jihwan. He couldn't afford to.

Lucas pushed back a low hanging branch where the brush suddenly thickened. However, past the branch, a small clearing revealed itself to the two. What was displayed in the clearing brought them to a stop. Twigs had been tied together to form strange symbols that were wrapped around the trunks of trees. Larger logs formed unusual tipi shapes that covered objects from the outside world. Jihwan's jaw dropped in response to the eerie scene as she took a step closer.

"Be careful," Lucas warned. "I would imagine this area is especially sensitive to the spirits."

Jihwan cautiously creeped closer to one of the structures, curiosity growing inside her. Inside the small opening divulged a skeleton wrapped in dark fabric, similar to the cloaks wrapped around the cult members' spirits.

"What do we do?" Jihwan asked Lucas in a hushed voice. She turned to his direction with confusion showing on her face.

Lucas had also stepped into the clearing, crouched down in search of something. He pulled out a backpack from a bush and approached Jihwan while unzipping the larger pouch. Her eyes widened at the familiar bag. It was Vernon's.

"Surely there is something that can help us," Lucas replied as he fished through the items inside. "Vernon would definitely be prepared to take them down."

Jihwan peeked into the opening as his hands moved objects. "Wait," she whispered, quickly retrieving one of the items. Her hand opened to reveal a lighter.

"I remember Johnny telling us the story last year about him staying at a haunted house with a group of friends," Lucas recalled. "Didn't one of the kids burn the ghost's remains to get rid of it?"

Jihwan's eyes lit up with realization. "Is there any flammable liquids and salt in this bag?"

Lucas frantically dove his hand back into the bag, fishing out a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a bag of what appeared to be salt. "The way this salt is bagged seems a bit suspicious." He cracked a smile. "Are we sure it's salt?"

With a wave a relief and the joke Lucas made, Jihwan chuckled. "Let's burn the bastards." She grinned and clicked the lighter.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro