20 - Moving On

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Draco's admission hung in the air between us; our shallow, uneven breaths making the only sound above the distant hum of office life.

For the first time in my life, I didn't know what to say.

"Etta?" His voice was hoarse, his eyes looking at me with a mixture of pain and longing.

I wanted to go to him. I wanted to just surrender myself completely to the man I've always loved. I was fed up with trying to fight it, to be strong.

But then I thought about Albus, my son who needed me to be there for him. I thought about Scorpius, an innocent, kind caring boy, who was just about to lose his mother. And I thought about Astoria, Draco's wife, who was laying in their home, dying. I thought about all the things I should have thought about before I had allowed myself to kiss him.

Slowly, I shook my head.

"I can't do this, Draco. I just can't." I choked sadly, looking away, unable to bear the pain of seeing his face crumple in hurt.

I heard his heavy, resigned sigh and listened as he silently left, closing the office door quietly shut behind him.

"Knock knock!"

I looked up from my desk, which had now been put back in its usual place. It was Tony.

My heart gave a small plummet. In all the drama with Draco, I had completely forgotten about our dinner arrangements with Ron and Hermione.

"Hey, Tony," I murmured morosely, as he sauntered over and sat down in front of my desk. "Just give me a minute."

"Is everything okay, darling?" he asked, leaning forward in the chair, concern etched over his features as he studied my face intently. "You still don't look one hundred percent."

"Yes - no... ugh. It's just stuff with Albus," I half admitted.

Tony reached out and clasped his hand over mine. "Darling, I mean it. If there's anything I can do...?"

"No, no. I can handle it," I said, pulling my hand back out of his grip. "I am his mother."

"And when he comes home for Christmas, I can start to become some kind of father figure - I hope," he smiled, showing me all his white teeth.

"Um, yeah. Sure." I said stiffly, my heart twisting as my mind drifted once again to Draco.

We Apparated to Ron and Hermione's where we were greeted with the comforting sounds and smells of cooking.

"Chicken supreme tonight," Hermione called from the kitchen as Tony and I removed our coats in the hallway, "I hope that's okay for you, Etta?"

I didn't miss the pointed tones of her voice.

"Lovely," I muttered, leaving Tony chatting to Ron about broomsticks as I entered the kitchen, helping myself to a wine glass. I poured a huge glass from the bottle I had brought along.

Hermione stared at me open mouthed, as I gulped it down.

I gasped, bringing it away from my lips, already having half finished it. "Want some?"

"Er, no, it's okay, I'll wait until I sit down for dinner," she replied warily. "Uh- Etta, is everything okay?"

"I got an owl from Minerva today." I said, topping up my glass. "About Albus."

"Oh, I see," Hermione nodded; realisation suddenly dawning on her face.

"And so did Draco." I continued. "About Scorpius. He came to see me about it."

Hermione froze in the process of laying the table.

"He did? And what did he have to say about it?"

"Well once he removed his tongue from my throat, he told me that he was still in love with me."

I took another huge swig of wine as Hermione dropped a handful of forks, scattering them loudly across the tiled floor.

"He kissed you?!"

"No, he was just checking to see if my tonsils were swollen. Yes, he kissed me!"

"What?! He is married!" She exclaimed, hurriedly using her wand to clear up the mess. "His wife is dying!"

"I know." Another swig.

"And you have a- a... Tony," she hissed under her breath, pointing viciously towards the door to the hallway. "Right out there!"

"I know."

"Oh, Etta!"

"I know, I've screwed up. I'm a screw up. My son's a screw up. My life is one big fucking screw up." I sighed heavily, pouring myself another glass.

"Do you love him too?"

I froze. I had been expecting a lecture, not to be asked this. It had thrown me.

"What does it matter?"

"Well," Hermione shrugged, "I think it matters quite a lot."

"I want to make it work with Tony. He could be good for Al. All Draco and I do is bicker. And if he didn't leave his wife thirteen years ago, then he's sure as hell not going to leave her now. And actually, I wouldn't want him to anymore. I need stability for my son. I should have moved on years ago."

"Etta, you have every right to do what's best for Albus. However, I just don't want to see you rushing into something that will end up making you unhappy in the long term. Albus wouldn't want that either."

"Ugh. Life was so much easier when all I had to worry about was saving the world." I muttered, draining my glass. "That was a walk in the park compared to this."

"Doesn't he have a pretty face? I mean, I don't think I'm imagining it, he has a pretty face, right?"

Tony gave a nervous chuckle as I mashed my palm against his cheek.

"Er, sure, Etta, whatever you say," Ron answered uncomfortably from across the table.

"Well, that was fucking awesome, Hermy," I said slapping my hand jovially across my stomach as I gave a loud belch. "You are one lucky bitch, Ronald."

"Etta, I think maybe you've had enough-"

But I had no time to listen to what Hermione thought I may or may not have had enough of. I had wine to pour.

"Did I ever tell you, my pretty little Tony, that- hic - that these two gorgeous people and my beautiful self were nick- hic - nicknamed the Golden Trio?"

I even added the air quotes - that's just how awesome I am.

"Several times."

"Made quite the threesome, if you know what I mean..." I winked - well at least I tried to wink but I think it came out more like a bad looking squint.

"Er, yeah, I'm sure you did."

"And isn't it lovely how they've found love together. Ronnikins and Hermy: found love during the good old Battle of Hogwarts. Remember, guys?"

I looked blearily between Ron and Hermione who were, for some reason, looking highly uncomfortable.

"Of course, I was too busy sacrificing myself to save all you bloody idiots to bother about a minor little thing like my love life. And now it's just little old me. Left behind. Left all alone with the problem child."

I was suddenly aware of feeling quite sleepy. It was an effort to keep my head up. Everything started to tilt, and I had the enormous desire to lie down.

A terrifying sensation came over me that if I didn't somehow ground myself, hold onto something concrete, then I would surely fly helplessly away from the world and leave everyone in it behind.

Ugh. My head.

I opened my eyes, only to violently shut them again.

"Darling,"

A voice. I struggled to place it at first.

"Rise and shine!"

It was Tony. He must have stayed over. But I couldn't remember why.

And then it came flooding back to me.

The letter. Draco. Tony. Wine... lots and lots of wine.

Ugh. I pulled the covers over my head, praying that Tony would get the message and let me go back to sleep.

"I've got a surprise for you!"

Curious, I pulled down the corner of my duvet, opening one eye.

Tony, already dressed, was beaming down at me with a mug of something hot in his hand. Coffee, hopefully.

"I've arranged for a visit from Professor McGonagall! She'll be here in-" he lifted his wrist, frowning down at his watch, "-twenty minutes!"

I bolted upright, suddenly wide awake. "What the fuck, Tony?! What the actual fuck?!"

This was all I sodding needed.

"I thought you'd be pleased," Tony called to my retreating back as I legged it to the bathroom. "I'm trying to be a proactive father figure!"

Fuck you, Tony Tripp.

"Another biscuit, Minerva?"

Tony waved the plate of broken biscuits under her nose. I wished he wouldn't. Thanks to the short notice of this visit, I hadn't had time to buy a decent looking cake which I could pretend I had baked, just like the wonderful mother I wanted Minerva to believe I was.

"No, no I've had quite enough thank you, Mr Tripp," she trilled, eyeing the custard creams with disdain. "I just want to establish how we can work together to fulfil Albus's potential at Hogwarts."

"Well," Tony said, clearing his throat. "Now - this is just an idea, mind you. I was thinking that maybe young Al needs to be placed amongst a different crowd, that perhaps his place in Slytherin is holding him back. Perhaps he'll do better somewhere else?"

"You mean make him move houses?" I asked, horrified at Tony's suggestion.

I glanced at Minerva, hoping she would look as aghast as I felt, but I was disconcerted to discover a rather thoughtful expression upon her face.

"I understand," Tony went on, ignoring me as he addressed Minerva, "that he is heavily influenced by that Malfoy boy, and I am wondering if it's in Al's best interest to be hanging around with the children of Death Eaters-"

"What?" I spluttered, "I can't believe I'm hearing this!"

I winced as my head pounded. Fuck, I was too hungover for this. I just wanted to crawl back into bed and sleep for five or so years.

"All I'm saying," Tony spoke more firmly now, "is that it cannot possibly be healthy for the child of Henrietta Potter, a person of whom used to be the enemy of these Death Eaters, to have such a close association with one of their children."

"Scorpius is a lovely boy," I implored. "If anything, it's Albus who is being the bad influence!"

I looked back to Minerva, who was still looking thoughtfully at Tony.

"It could possibly be," she finally spoke, tapping a finger slowly against her chin, "not such a bad idea."

"What?!" But it was no fucking use, they were both acting as though I was not even in the fucking room, with Minerva glancing at me every now and then with a withered expression, clearly disapproving of my 'condition'.

"To place Albus in Gryffindor," she continued, "may just be the answer we are looking for. He is his mother's son, after all." She added, her eyes twinkling at me.

"But- but-" I spluttered. But I couldn't find the words to form my argument. My head was still thick from the wine I had consumed the previous night.

"But nothing, my darling!" Tony interrupted, squeezing a hand over my knee. "I say we go ahead with this marvellous plan."

"But... we will be separating him from his only friend," I said weakly.

"Miss Potter," Minerva said looking at me sternly from over her glasses, "your son will not be at Hogwarts for much longer if we can't find a solution to change his behaviour. If you want what's best for him, then I suggest you take Mr Tripp's excellent advice and agree to have Albus moved to Gryffindor with immediate effect."

"I-Immediate effect?" I stammered, my heart starting to race in my chest.

"He can continue in Slytherin until the end of term, and then, when we recommence after Christmas, he will be automatically Sorted into Gryffindor."

"But they break up only next week!" I cried, feeling panicked by how fast this situation was accelerating.

"Then I suggest you owl your son as soon as possible, Miss Potter. And remember," she added, seeing my forlorn face, "Gryffindor did you great things, Henrietta, as I'm sure it will for Albus too."

Fuck, my son was going to kill me.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro