Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

• ° • ° • °

"I’m going to smack whoever gave you that scar,” Selena said, frowning. “Even though I’ve hidden it, it’s still slightly visible."

But I could barely register her words. I was too mesmerized by my reflection. I was dressed in a stunning white peacoat-style dress that stopped just above my knees, leaving my legs exposed. The golden accents on the coat complemented the black belt cinched at my waist, perfectly matching my black heels. My hair was styled in a messy yet elegant bun, and the pink streak in my hair stood out more than I remembered. Around my neck hung the necklace Lucas had gifted me, now paired with metallic chokers adorned with diamonds. I could even spot matching pink diamond earrings, though they were fancier than the rest of my look, somehow they blended seamlessly.

I had never looked this beautiful.

No makeup artist or designer had ever made me feel this way. And Selena had done it all herself! My amber eyes seemed to glow, enhanced with dark mascara and shadow. My lips, coated in a nude lipstick with a hint of shine, gleamed perfectly under the light. I could tell Selena had probably blended a few shades to create a custom color. There was a sparkle in my cheeks and eyes, a subtle glitter that made me look as if stars had settled on my face.

I smiled, and my reflection smiled back, as if even she couldn't believe this transformation. The makeup, the styling—it was as though Selena had crafted a new version of me.

“You’re a natural,” Selena said, stepping beside me. “Why aren’t you in the entertainment industry?”

I smiled ruefully. “I was—at least for a while. I modeled for three years before I gave it up.”

Her eyes widened in surprise. “You did? But I never saw you anywhere—oh, wait! I was out of the country then. But why’d you quit?”

I hesitated. It was a past I rarely liked to revisit. What good would it do now?

“I got engaged,” I answered with a shrug, keeping it simple.

Her expression shifted to confusion. “So, you gave up your career for a man? You must’ve been brainwashed pretty well. What knocked sense into you, and why didn’t you marry him?”

I couldn't help but chuckle at her bluntness. “Your brother crashed the wedding.”

Her eyes widened even more. “He did what? And what about the other guy?”

“My fiancé ended up with my sister. She was pregnant, too. Lucas stepped in at the perfect time, saving my dignity.”

Selena blinked in astonishment, shaking her head slowly. “I’m sorry, but I will never be able to comprehend or digest that whole situation. I think I’ll just stick to getting ready for dinner.” She rolled her eyes dramatically.

I burst out laughing. The media would have a field day if they saw her like this—playful, candid, and completely down-to-earth. The world only saw the glamorous supermodel, the icy heiress, but here she was, cracking jokes and casually roasting me. The real Selena was a treasure that the cameras would never capture.

Soon after, Mina entered with a small box—inside was the engagement ring. It was an intricately designed snake-shaped ring, studded with tiny diamonds. Without a word, I slipped it on my finger and sent Mina off. The weight of the ring felt both surreal and solid, grounding me in the reality of what was about to happen.

Selena had changed into a breathtaking royal blue dress that hugged her figure. The high-neck, full-sleeved design contrasted with the dramatic backless cut, and her hair was styled into a loose braid adorned with delicate hair jewelry. She looked regal, powerful, and undeniably gorgeous, as always. Her aura was magnetic—anyone in her presence would feel the pull.

We spritzed ourselves with perfume, the scent tickling my nose, signaling we were ready to leave. We weren’t late, of course. Selena had stressed the importance of punctuality since Lucas’s father, the President, wouldn’t tolerate tardiness. Lucas had sent his assistant, Max, to pick us up, and a Rolls Royce waited outside. Guards held the doors open as we climbed inside, adjusting our outfits to sit comfortably. I made a mental note to keep my legs closed during the entire evening—there would be no room for mishaps tonight.

The Crown Hotel was abuzz with activity. Paparazzi and PR teams swarmed the entrance, cameras flashing non-stop as we arrived. The Crown was a hotspot for elite events, especially famous for weddings and engagement parties, which explained the frenzy of reporters eager to catch a glimpse of any high-profile guest.

Thanks to our guards, we slipped through the crowd with ease, heading straight for the elevator. As Selena pressed the button for the thirty-eighth floor, she leaned in, her voice low. “Just a heads-up. There will be a lot of business partners at this dinner. Some of them might get rude, or even flirty. Be on guard—there could be undercover press members too. The President despises scandals, so try to stay low-key.”

I nodded, grateful for the warning. My nerves were already on edge, but at least now I felt more prepared.

Ding!

The elevator doors slid open, and we stepped into a lavish ballroom. My heart raced. Tonight, I would be officially introduced as Lucas Walker’s fiancée. The grandeur of the room, with its glittering chandeliers and impeccably dressed guests, took my breath away.

This was it. I was about to enter a world where glamour and high stakes collided.

• ° • ° • °

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro